The Chi Discussion Thread

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What was the point of that? It added nothing to the show. Does the mom know that he survived? Is she going to try again next season? Thickness telling him he loves her, really? Since when? So the Mayor is gone, police are gone... Now what.
I'm telling you man this is the worst written show I've seen in a long time. I don't know what the fuck is going on. They have no shame either they literally bring in plots and just abandon them. :lol:

The whole damn series was about who shot Douda....not only do we find out who did it it didn't even make any sense.

I complain about Power's writing...it looks Emmy worthy compared to this shit. I'm amazed at the shit that gets cancelled but doesn't.....it must get good ratings.

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I bet Douda pops up in Chuckalissa, Mississippi challenging Tydel Ruffin for his job as Mayor on P-Valley!! Tiff gonna be workin at The Pink with Uncle Clifford! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who_I_AM

BGOL Original Veteran /C.S.I.
BGOL Investor
Okay, I'm gonna straighten out/point out a few things IF I CAN...

Destroy the Strong Black Man Narrative
  1. Douda: The fact that Douda became the mayor was Batshit crazy anyway from the jump. SOOOOOO he was the best option for all of Chicago??? What happened to the Nationwide Gangster Network he was a part of? What happened to the Pizza Business? Who is running his drug game? Then he just leaves the City (known all over the world) like it was a bad breakup. No press release, no press.... he just gone?? WTF
  2. Darnell: Darnell and his multiple families should have never been written like that. Why? because people are like what about his other kids ... it was more sloppy shade to throw on a Black man. That was the purpose. Just like that headset from 2005. He can't get some earbuds?? He such a hustler right? Just clowning a black man
  3. Emmett: Didn't finish High School, No GED, 3 Kids, hustling sneakers, no job living with his momma... and in 3 years time. He underhandly stole a business from the black man that gave him a job!! Running that business (with no problems). Spends ZERO time with his other children, Marries a chicken head Tiff (who was living with her Momma and getting beat up by some thug she chose, remember she came from the streets). And NOW he was getting played in a "Open Marriage" hearing voices in his head and shit!! Catering left and right to Tiff and he agreed to be a "good faithful man" and 2 mins later his wife has already scored with a man at his Mother's celebration. Uneducated/ Underdeveloped Black Man fooled by a pretty hood rat again!!
  4. Poppa and Poppa's Dad: LAME AF. Not going to spend too much time on this. Dad plays church, Went to prison for "money schemes" comes back, no wife, no press, nothing... Poppa who WAS a great character turns into a GRADE A Simp! (see my earlier posts on him).
  5. Kevin: Stripped of any potential that was written into his character. They turned him into a regular support character with no direction and loss educational drive. Since Ronnie died, he became the new Ronnie.
  6. Jake and Trig: First of all, I was expecting so much more from Trig's character at first glance... BUT he again is another black man with no direction!! Supposedly one of the greatest street thugs of all time who struck fear in streets leaves Chi and comes back with a transgender as a "wife"!! And she runs his ass at every turn!!!! No source of income but pockets stay right, nothing from his past comes up... not even women??? Supporting the man who killed his brother, tried to pimp/ groom Jake to become the NEXT SUPER THUG!! And Jake betrays his best friend and hated school is now under the influence of the girl he "stole" from Kevin. In reality, Jemma liked Kevin first because he had "street cred" and she destroyed Kevin because Jake had more and was the Heir to the Hood Throne that her Dad had aligned himself with.
  7. Bottom line is this... This show is not about LGBTQ+ agenda AS MUCH as it is about Destroying the STRONG BLACK MAN NARRATIVE.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
"The Chi" has lost its Chicago way in Season 4

Column: Showtime’s ‘The Chi’ had real potential, where did it go? What Chicago story is it telling as Season 4 ends?
By any measure, hitting the four-season mark is a decent marker of success for a television show. But the Showtime drama “The Chi,” which airs its Season 4 finale Sunday, has been one of strangest examples of a series that started with so much promise, only to devolve into something almost unrecognizable from the show that premiered in 2018.

A drama rooted in realism (at least initially), the show set out to be a portrait of working class Black people on the South Side of Chicago. The pilot episode of Season 1 began with the shooting deaths of two Black teenagers, but as I noted at the time, this isn’t a crime show — not really: It was far more interested in why things happen and the effects that ripple out. How do these experiences shape a person’s state of mind? Their decisions? Their well-being? I was hooked.

Created by Chicago native Lena Waithe, comparisons to HBO’s “The Wire” were inevitable and not necessarily bad; that first episode of “The Chi” promised something serious-minded but also a series that understands all the ways that life can be absurd and strange and funny, even as we navigate stress and instability.

Characters like Ronnie (part elder statesman, part screw-up) and Reg (the charming if erratic drug dealer) were fixtures of the show’s fictional neighborhood, and that had the effect of giving the show a sense of place, even if the precise neighborhood was never specified. My colleague Will Lee and I have recapped every episode of the show since the beginning and our biggest criticism of that first season was the way it had little use or interest in developing its female characters.

Here we are, four seasons later and the show has absolutely improved on that front — the women of “The Chi” are three-dimensional people with their own lives, dreams and frustrations — but the show itself feels completely unmoored and I have no idea what kinds of stories it wants to tell anymore. Only a handful of characters from the first season remain, and the show’s focus on the texture of day-to-day life has been replaced with soapy narratives that ping around like a steel ball in a pinball machine. New characters are introduced, only to be sidelined. New stories are introduced, only to be abandoned. It’s baffling and it keeps you from becoming invested in any of it.

This season, drug kingpin Douda (aka Otis Perry, played with wonderful confidence by Curtiss Cook) is, improbably enough, the mayor of Chicago. One of his first big power moves: Defunding the police department.

This is a radical decision for any mayor, fictional or otherwise. And it’s the kind of big stakes citywide storyline that steers the show away from its initial small bore focus. But I was genuinely excited to see this play out, because the beauty of fiction is that it can show us how new ideas like this might work.

And yet “The Chi” has been weirdly reticent to actually go there. All we’ve seen are two well-meaning characters, with no prior experience in social work or policing alternatives, shouldering the burden of rethinking how to help people in crisis without relying on the police.

This is madness. It’s also irresponsible, reinforcing a perception nobody is ready with ideas if, and when, there is an opportunity to redirect police funds. “The Chi” doesn’t have to be a documentary, but shouldn’t it bear some resemblance to what’s going on in the real world, thanks to activist groups like GoodKids MadCity and others? Not all Black people support police abolition, by the way, where’s that debate?

Nine episodes into the season, I still have no idea why this narrative was introduced and I wonder if there are forces at the studio or network level that led to this watered down, scattershot approach to defunding the police.

By the way, this season also saw the mayor shot and almost killed. This has more or less gone unremarked upon by the show’s characters. Let me repeat that: There was an assassination attempt on the mayor of the country’s third largest city and it’s a non-story? What alternate universe nonsense is this?! Last week, the mayor inflicted so much violence on his City Hall aide/nemesis that the man might be dead.

This is straight up melodrama and the antithesis of the show’s earlier ethos.

Reading back through our recaps from Season 1, my partner Will had a great observation: “The best part of the show is how these random characters who occupy the same few blocks collide with one another. Death and murder can plague the members of single neighborhood. Lives really can intertwine — I’ve seen it happen. Another great aspect, and one that I know from reporting crime, is that the streets are always watching. Even when you think you’re all alone, someone sitting in a car or someone is peeking out their window or someone doing lookout for the local dealer saw something.”

These details have faded away over the seasons, as have nuanced observations about class tensions, all now buried under an avalanche of credibility-straining storylines.

The show has had three different showrunners over its four seasons, which might account for some of this. But I think we can also trace the show’s challenges to a pivotal moment, when it seemingly went into panic mode after Season 2. That was when star Jason Mitchell was fired due to allegations about his off-camera behavior with his female co-star, Tiffany Boone.

There’s no question the show made the right decision. But creatively, it has stumbled since. Mitchell played Brandon, a chef with an entrepreneurial spirit and an instinct for mentoring, and he was the heart and soul of “The Chi.” Without a new lodestar to take his place, the show has been lost. Very little makes sense. It all just feels so empty.

Will and I aren’t alone in feeling that way. Here’s a sampling of some thoughtful emails we’ve received this season: “Like you, I find this season troubling,” wrote Kevin. “I can suspend disbelief with the best of them … but I wondered from Day 1 where Douda’s security entourage was after he was elected, and how he could just move surreptitiously around a major city center without another soul to watch him. Where was the union uprising we know would occur if the mayor of Chicago declared a virtual war on his own police department? And how’s the gang he ran getting along these days? Do they have carte blanche on their turf, now that their former boss is now in city hall?”

Here’s an email from a viewer named Trina: “When ‘The Chi’ premiered, I became an instant fan. The storyline was captivating and the characters felt real and fresh. The actors portraying Reg, Brandon, Kevin, Jake and Papa more than carried their weight and each character offered voices and perspectives that engaged me and made me care about them. To me the magic of the show was 1.) how community connectedness was explored and displayed and 2.) characters were not portrayed as simply good or bad, they were the sum of their life experiences, good and bad.”

But this season, she said, she has “finally accepted that ‘The Chi’ will never again be the great, groundbreaking, intriguing, classic show that it started out as. The show has no heart anymore … there’s no consistency in anything anymore. The tone and cinematography changes from scene to scene. One minute you feel like you are in a Spike Lee Joint, the next minute you are watching some version of ‘The Real Housewives’ (literally and figuratively).”

That last point is in reference to “Real Housewives of Atlanta” star Kandi Burruss, who joined the show as Douda’s wife, a character who has seemed pointless from the get-go.

“In all of the inconsistency,” Trina summed up, “the show still makes a point to remove all positive images of Black male role models. The show has lost its authenticity and its vibe.”

To her point, the kinds of stories “The Chi” originally set out to tell felt like a meaningful and entertaining counterweight to ignorant stereotypes about the South Side and what it means to be Black in Chicago — capturing the joys, the trauma, the boredom, all of it. But somewhere along the way, the show lost its focus.

Will and I keep watching because we’re curious about how the city is portrayed on TV, but also because the young teens of the show — Kevin, Jake and Papa — have always been a high point, even through this season’s chaos.

The acting on “The Chi” has always been strong across the board; these critiques aren’t about the cast but what they’ve been given to play with. Trans actor Jasmine Davis (a Chicago native) is a real discovery as the maternal Imani. And as I mentioned in our recap last week, the show has done some important things right by casting so many dark-skinned women and teenage girls. Colorism is pervasive in Hollywood and it tends to be gendered — reinforcing ideas that light-skinned women are more attractive — and “The Chi” hasn’t played into any of that.

Earlier this week, Showtime donated $500,000 toward neighborhood beautification projects on the South and West Sides. The cable network hasn’t made any announcements yet about the show’s possible renewal or cancellation. Maybe that donation suggests “The Chi” will be around for another season.

Or maybe it’s an informal goodbye and thank you to a city it’s ready to leave behind.

Clubber_lang

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
"The Chi" has lost its Chicago way in Season 4

Column: Showtime’s ‘The Chi’ had real potential, where did it go? What Chicago story is it telling as Season 4 ends?
By any measure, hitting the four-season mark is a decent marker of success for a television show. But the Showtime drama “The Chi,” which airs its Season 4 finale Sunday, has been one of strangest examples of a series that started with so much promise, only to devolve into something almost unrecognizable from the show that premiered in 2018.

A drama rooted in realism (at least initially), the show set out to be a portrait of working class Black people on the South Side of Chicago. The pilot episode of Season 1 began with the shooting deaths of two Black teenagers, but as I noted at the time, this isn’t a crime show — not really: It was far more interested in why things happen and the effects that ripple out. How do these experiences shape a person’s state of mind? Their decisions? Their well-being? I was hooked.

Created by Chicago native Lena Waithe, comparisons to HBO’s “The Wire” were inevitable and not necessarily bad; that first episode of “The Chi” promised something serious-minded but also a series that understands all the ways that life can be absurd and strange and funny, even as we navigate stress and instability.

Characters like Ronnie (part elder statesman, part screw-up) and Reg (the charming if erratic drug dealer) were fixtures of the show’s fictional neighborhood, and that had the effect of giving the show a sense of place, even if the precise neighborhood was never specified. My colleague Will Lee and I have recapped every episode of the show since the beginning and our biggest criticism of that first season was the way it had little use or interest in developing its female characters.

Here we are, four seasons later and the show has absolutely improved on that front — the women of “The Chi” are three-dimensional people with their own lives, dreams and frustrations — but the show itself feels completely unmoored and I have no idea what kinds of stories it wants to tell anymore. Only a handful of characters from the first season remain, and the show’s focus on the texture of day-to-day life has been replaced with soapy narratives that ping around like a steel ball in a pinball machine. New characters are introduced, only to be sidelined. New stories are introduced, only to be abandoned. It’s baffling and it keeps you from becoming invested in any of it.

This season, drug kingpin Douda (aka Otis Perry, played with wonderful confidence by Curtiss Cook) is, improbably enough, the mayor of Chicago. One of his first big power moves: Defunding the police department.

This is a radical decision for any mayor, fictional or otherwise. And it’s the kind of big stakes citywide storyline that steers the show away from its initial small bore focus. But I was genuinely excited to see this play out, because the beauty of fiction is that it can show us how new ideas like this might work.

And yet “The Chi” has been weirdly reticent to actually go there. All we’ve seen are two well-meaning characters, with no prior experience in social work or policing alternatives, shouldering the burden of rethinking how to help people in crisis without relying on the police.

This is madness. It’s also irresponsible, reinforcing a perception nobody is ready with ideas if, and when, there is an opportunity to redirect police funds. “The Chi” doesn’t have to be a documentary, but shouldn’t it bear some resemblance to what’s going on in the real world, thanks to activist groups like GoodKids MadCity and others? Not all Black people support police abolition, by the way, where’s that debate?

Nine episodes into the season, I still have no idea why this narrative was introduced and I wonder if there are forces at the studio or network level that led to this watered down, scattershot approach to defunding the police.

By the way, this season also saw the mayor shot and almost killed. This has more or less gone unremarked upon by the show’s characters. Let me repeat that: There was an assassination attempt on the mayor of the country’s third largest city and it’s a non-story? What alternate universe nonsense is this?! Last week, the mayor inflicted so much violence on his City Hall aide/nemesis that the man might be dead.

This is straight up melodrama and the antithesis of the show’s earlier ethos.

Reading back through our recaps from Season 1, my partner Will had a great observation: “The best part of the show is how these random characters who occupy the same few blocks collide with one another. Death and murder can plague the members of single neighborhood. Lives really can intertwine — I’ve seen it happen. Another great aspect, and one that I know from reporting crime, is that the streets are always watching. Even when you think you’re all alone, someone sitting in a car or someone is peeking out their window or someone doing lookout for the local dealer saw something.”

These details have faded away over the seasons, as have nuanced observations about class tensions, all now buried under an avalanche of credibility-straining storylines.

The show has had three different showrunners over its four seasons, which might account for some of this. But I think we can also trace the show’s challenges to a pivotal moment, when it seemingly went into panic mode after Season 2. That was when star Jason Mitchell was fired due to allegations about his off-camera behavior with his female co-star, Tiffany Boone.

There’s no question the show made the right decision. But creatively, it has stumbled since. Mitchell played Brandon, a chef with an entrepreneurial spirit and an instinct for mentoring, and he was the heart and soul of “The Chi.” Without a new lodestar to take his place, the show has been lost. Very little makes sense. It all just feels so empty.

Will and I aren’t alone in feeling that way. Here’s a sampling of some thoughtful emails we’ve received this season: “Like you, I find this season troubling,” wrote Kevin. “I can suspend disbelief with the best of them … but I wondered from Day 1 where Douda’s security entourage was after he was elected, and how he could just move surreptitiously around a major city center without another soul to watch him. Where was the union uprising we know would occur if the mayor of Chicago declared a virtual war on his own police department? And how’s the gang he ran getting along these days? Do they have carte blanche on their turf, now that their former boss is now in city hall?”

Here’s an email from a viewer named Trina: “When ‘The Chi’ premiered, I became an instant fan. The storyline was captivating and the characters felt real and fresh. The actors portraying Reg, Brandon, Kevin, Jake and Papa more than carried their weight and each character offered voices and perspectives that engaged me and made me care about them. To me the magic of the show was 1.) how community connectedness was explored and displayed and 2.) characters were not portrayed as simply good or bad, they were the sum of their life experiences, good and bad.”

But this season, she said, she has “finally accepted that ‘The Chi’ will never again be the great, groundbreaking, intriguing, classic show that it started out as. The show has no heart anymore … there’s no consistency in anything anymore. The tone and cinematography changes from scene to scene. One minute you feel like you are in a Spike Lee Joint, the next minute you are watching some version of ‘The Real Housewives’ (literally and figuratively).”

That last point is in reference to “Real Housewives of Atlanta” star Kandi Burruss, who joined the show as Douda’s wife, a character who has seemed pointless from the get-go.

“In all of the inconsistency,” Trina summed up, “the show still makes a point to remove all positive images of Black male role models. The show has lost its authenticity and its vibe.”

To her point, the kinds of stories “The Chi” originally set out to tell felt like a meaningful and entertaining counterweight to ignorant stereotypes about the South Side and what it means to be Black in Chicago — capturing the joys, the trauma, the boredom, all of it. But somewhere along the way, the show lost its focus.

Will and I keep watching because we’re curious about how the city is portrayed on TV, but also because the young teens of the show — Kevin, Jake and Papa — have always been a high point, even through this season’s chaos.

The acting on “The Chi” has always been strong across the board; these critiques aren’t about the cast but what they’ve been given to play with. Trans actor Jasmine Davis (a Chicago native) is a real discovery as the maternal Imani. And as I mentioned in our recap last week, the show has done some important things right by casting so many dark-skinned women and teenage girls. Colorism is pervasive in Hollywood and it tends to be gendered — reinforcing ideas that light-skinned women are more attractive — and “The Chi” hasn’t played into any of that.

Earlier this week, Showtime donated $500,000 toward neighborhood beautification projects on the South and West Sides. The cable network hasn’t made any announcements yet about the show’s possible renewal or cancellation. Maybe that donation suggests “The Chi” will be around for another season.

Or maybe it’s an informal goodbye and thank you to a city it’s ready to leave behind.
I agree with everything in this article. What the hell happened to the Chi? Lena must have bounced a while ago.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Man he expressed his love for his chick, and she hopped to Shumpert :lol:

grizzlies-legend-zach-randolph-is-getting-a-divorce-one-month-after-tweeting-i-married-a-he.jpg

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Hopefully they will start some BETTER Story lines in Season 5 by closing out the bullshit from Seasons 3 and 4, because Season 1 and 2 were great
I agree with everything in this article. What the hell happened to the Chi? Lena must have bounced a while ago.

jason mitchell getting kicked off the show happened.
brandon was the heart and soul-the connective tissue that held everything together

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Shit is wild...

Maybe we shouldn't view this shit as Chicago? Maybe its some alternate universe?

This shit dumb man I can't stress it enough. :lol:

Yeah how dafugg the Mayor of a major city like Chicago just gonna disappear? Like the press ain't in every city in the USA?

They should make it part of the Marvel (or DC) universe. If Luke Cage or a super hero popped up, it might actually make the show more interesting.

I thought young homie was going to pop Jason Weaver in that alley for a second. he easily had the best scenes of the whole season

Despite my critiques, I am still coming back next season just hoping Kandi got at least one nekkid f---k scene

The most positive black man (father figure) is a woman. DRE

Last edited:

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah how dafugg the Mayor of a major city like Chicago just gonna disappear? Like the press ain't in every city in the USA?

They should make it part of the Marvel (or DC) universe. If Luke Cage or a super hero popped up, it might actually make the show more interesting.

I thought young homie was going to pop Jason Weaver in that alley for a second. he easily had the best scenes of the whole season

Despite my critiques, I am still coming back next season just hoping Kandi got at least one nekkid f---k scene

The most positive black man (father figure) is a woman. DRE

SMH....this show don't show titties for nothing. They so foul for this show man this shit is toxic as fuck. Literally killed the postiive black men on the show and got a stud as the most postiive black man on the show. Unbelievable.

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
Yo, Papa went nuclear on the mic, LMAO.

Em's Dad:. "Man, Fuck them kids!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kev playing a bootleg ass GTA Online, fucking CACs up. Reminds of the work BGOL crew put in during the hey day.

Fake Russ Westbrook got curbed. Just like his real life counterpart in LA.

O' Dudah-dey with the appearance.

Strait_Laced

knowledge alone ≠ power
OG Investor
the chi had such promise...but i think it was my wishful thinking that a series could capture the spirit of the wire or that old 'boss' series...where the streets, the politicians, the schools...could all be captured in a way that showed how they were all intertwined...it was that for a season or so...

lena waithe's thumbprint was all over the show as time went on though. that's her prerogative as the head honcho, but it went way left in some aspects...still, this s5 wasn't as bad as i thought it would be...will keep watching

[and that tracy character...that's grown woman right there...just right, cold night]...

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The writing for the show is still bad but i can see they are at least trying. For a brief moment i was extremely happy Emmett was hitting the sheets with Kiesha again but it was just a dream hopefully he makes his dream a reality because like Danny Devito said to Gene Hackman in Heist:

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
jason mitchell getting kicked off the show happened.
brandon was the heart and soul-the connective tissue that held everything together

While this is true, they could have introduced a new character or something because the show shouldn't be as bad as it is...I think when Lena took over, she started to hit us over the head with LGBTQ stuff and didn't focus on building characters...like who cares about the lesbians' honeymoon, that wasn't central to the story, but whatever..i haven't watched any of season 4 and didnt finish season 3...

BlueCarpetTreatment

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
The writing in general just overall sucks now. There’s no real flow to the show anymore. The heart of what the show was about when it started is a shell of itself.

The entire bases of the show is off now and the stories are completely convoluted. Nothing really makes sense.

Duda becomes mayor, beats a dude within a inch of his life, disappears off the face of the earth and then miraculously shows the fuck up and continues business like nothing happened. Lmao!

Papa, Jake and Kev’s stories are trash right now. It’s like they don’t know what to do with them as friends and individuals.

Emmett’s situation with his girl is annoying af. That bullshit been going for a few seasons too long now.

Trig just cannot replace Reg. I’m sorry but he just can’t. His story sucks.

Brandon, Ronnie and Reg gone hurt the show to be honest. Your pretty much took the heart of the show with Brandon and Ronnie alone. It should’ve ended after Ronnie’s death.

Keisha is past her ptsd, now what to do with her? Nothing intriguing with her character going on anymore.

It’s like they don’t have anything to write that works anymore. That’s why the show just needs to end.

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The writing in general just overall sucks now. There’s no real flow to the show anymore. The heart of what the show was about when it started is a shell of itself.

The entire bases of the show is off now and the stories are completely convoluted. Nothing really makes sense.

Duda becomes mayor, beats a dude within a inch of his life, disappears off the face of the earth and then miraculously shows the fuck up and continues business like nothing happened. Lmao!

Papa, Jake and Kev’s stories are trash right now. It’s like they don’t know what to do with them as friends and individuals.

Emmett’s situation with his girl is annoying af. That bullshit been going for a few seasons too long now.

Trig just cannot replace Reg. I’m sorry but he just can’t. His story sucks.

Brandon, Ronnie and Reg gone hurt the show to be honest. Your pretty much took the heart of the show with Brandon and Ronnie alone. It should’ve ended after Ronnie’s death.

Keisha is past her ptsd, now what to do with her? Nothing intriguing with her character going on anymore.

It’s like they don’t have anything to write that works anymore. That’s why the show just needs to end.
I agree with everything you said.

Who_I_AM

BGOL Original Veteran /C.S.I.
BGOL Investor
eh, I have been enjoying the show... now is it earth shattering. NAW but at least it is better now that Trigg's "girl" is gone. I just fast forward past the part with Kev's two mommas

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member
eh, I have been enjoying the show... now is it earth shattering. NAW but at least it is better now that Trigg's "girl" is gone. I just fast forward past the part with Kev's two mommas
as of the latest episode he's found a new "girl"(not the actual one duda hooked him up with)