Halo' TV Series Moves From Showtime to Paramount+ (DISCUSSION)

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
ablo Schreiber and Natascha McElhone star in the long-awaited adaptation of the hit video game franchise.

Paramount+ is in need of high-profile movies and TV shows if it wants to compete with Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV+, Disney+ and HBO Max, and to that end, the long-awaited Halo TV series will be moving from Showtime to Paramount's new streamer, where it will debut in the first quarter of 2022.

The series hails from Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television, which has been working on Halo for nearly a decade. Originally announced in 2013, the series was initially expected to launch Xbox’s original content effort before moving to Showtime once Xbox Entertainment Studios closed up shop in 2014. The network finally greenlit the expensive series in June 2018, but the first season of the show was barely halfway through production when the pandemic hit and caused another delay. The series is currently shooting in Budapest, which is why it won't bow on Paramount+ until early next year.

The series adaptation of Halo reportedly takes place in the universe that first came to be in 2001, dramatizing an epic 26th century conflict between humanity and an alien threat known as the Covenant. Pablo Schreiber (Den of Thieves) stars as Master Chief Spartan John-117, and Natascha McElhone (Californication) co-stars as Dr. Halsey, the brilliant and conflicted creator of the Spartan super soldiers.

Elsewhere, Jen Taylor plays Cortana, an advanced AI who may be the key to the survival of the human race, while additional stars include Shabana Azmi, Natasha Culzac, Olive Gray, Yerin Ha, Bentley Kalu, Kate Kennedy, Charlie Murphy, Danny Sapani and the great Bokeem Woodbine (Fargo).

Image via STX Entertainment
RELATED:Steven Spielberg Movies Ranked From Worst To Best

Darryl Frank, Justin Falvey and Spielberg executive produce for Amblin Television alongside Steven Kane, director Otto Bathurst and Toby Leslie for One Big Picture, and Kyle Killen and Scott Pennington for Chapter Eleven. Kiki Wolfkill, Frank O’Connor and Bonnie Ross serve as executive producers for 343 Industries.

Deadline broke the news, reporting that Showtime and ViacomCBS executives saw the first finished footage from Halo last fall and thought it could be a signature series on their new streamer Paramount+, which needs content that defines the Viacom brand, such as the Star Trek franchise that's currently on CBS All Access. They ran the idea by Spielberg and his Amblin Television partners, as well as the team at Microsoft-owned 343 Industries, and everyone got on board.

Showtime will continue to produce Halo for Paramount+, so the executives that have been shepherding it will continue to do so despite the shift in distribution strategy, something that ultimately comes down to a decision by the ViacomCBS Creative Council, which is tasked with finding the right content for each of the company's different platforms.

The Halo games have sold more than 81 million copies worldwide, and though the series would've been a boon for Showtime, the network is riding high off the success of its Bryan Cranston drama Your Honor, and it's already reviving Dexter starring Michael C. Hall. Showtime's slate also includes an American Gigolo series starring Jon Bernthal, a Ripley reboot starring Andrew Scott, the Safdie brothers' comedy The Curse starring Emma Stone, and the limited series The First Lady starring Viola Davis, Michelle Pfeiffer and Gillian Anderson.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
HALO
New TV Series to debut in 2022 on the Paramount+ streaming service

‘Halo’ Live-Action Paramount Plus Series Drops First Teaser Trailer

By Joe Otterson, Jordan Moreau
November 15, 2021

Paramount Plus has released the first trailer for the live-action “Halo” series. The show is expected to debut on the streamer in 2022.

Pablo Schreiber stars as the iconic Master Chief from the long-running and beloved Xbox video game series. In the teaser, he suits up in his instantly recognizable armor and puts on his green helmet, as the AI Cortana greets him. “Hello, Master Chief,” she says.

Master Chief Petty Officer John-117 is a super soldier created as part of the Spartan–II program, as seen in the “Halo” game series. The live-action series will follow an epic 26th-century conflict between humanity and an alien threat known as the Covenant.

Natascha McElhone will play Dr. Catherine Halsey, the creator of the Spartan soldiers. Jen Taylor will reprise her role from the games as Cortana, the most advanced AI in human history. Bokeem Woodbine, Shabana Azmi, Bentley Kalu, Natasha Culzac, Kate Kennedy, Danny Sapani, Olive Gray, and Charlie Murphy will also star.

A live-action adaptation of “Halo” has been in the works for years. Production had originally begun on the nine-episode first season in late 2019 before it was forced to shutdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It was announced that the show would move from Showtime to Paramount Plus in February 2021.

The “Halo” series is being produced by Showtime with 343 Industries, the video game developer behind the first-person shooter franchise. Amblin Television will also produce, with Steven Spielberg, Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey as executive producers. Otto Bathurst and Toby Leslie will executive produce for One Big Picture, with Bathurst also directing multiple episodes. Kyle Killen and Scott Pennington executive produce for Chapter Eleven, with Steven Kane also executive producing. Kiki Wolfkill, Frank O’Connor and Bonnie Ross serve as executive producers on behalf of 343 Industries.

In June, Variety reported that Killen and Kane were both attached as co-showrunners at one point, with Killen stepping down from showrunning duties and Kane taking over as the lead while the show shot in Budapest. Kane will remain onboard through the post-production process, but will step down as showrunner to return to the U.S. should “Halo” get renewed for a second season, which seems likely given its high-profile IP.

Synopsis

Halo is an upcoming American live-action military science fiction television series based on the Halo video game franchise. The series will focus on the 26th-century war between the United Nations Space Command and the alien Covenant.

Teaser Trailer

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Series is in post- production now.

halo.jpg

Pablo-Schreiber-Halo-Show-Set-Photo-Master-Chief-Design.jpg

czEQI3WKxPYJA2wc_SKZkNlAI15TA1_077B6mZLMBeg.jpg

8SPb5HVgUX2aoSniRYfbSH.jpg

halo-tv-series-battle-rifles-1249583.jpeg

dims

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
New Halo TV Show Trailer Coming During The Game Awards

The first full-length Halo TV show trailer will arrive during The Game Awards in early December.

Eddie Makuch
November 19, 2021 at 10:55AM PST

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articl...r-coming-during-the-game-awards/1100-6498210/

Following a brief teaser trailer shown during the Xbox 20th anniversary event, Microsoft will release the first full-length trailer for the Halo TV series during The Game Awards on December 9.

Halo's transmedia boss Kiki Wolfkill confirmed this during a Halo video broadcast on Friday. This trailer is meant to give fans a "very, very strong taste" for the show, which is scheduled for release in 2022 on Paramount+. Wolfkill also confirmed that the show will be available to stream internationally, though the full details on streaming availability for markets outside the US have not been confirmed.

Also during the broadcast, Wolfkill said filming on the Halo TV series wrapped in July this year, following delays related to COVID. The show is now in post-production and teams are "knee deep" in finishing the visual effects and other post-production efforts.

Pablo Schreiber stars as Master Chief in the TV show, with Californication's Natascha McElhone as Dr. Halsey. Jen Taylor, who voices Cortana in the games, will play her in the show.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Halo Paramount+ series is already a go for season 2 ahead of season 1 debut

This. Is. Spartan!

By Nick RomanoFebruary 15, 2022 at 04:50 PM EST

Paramount+, just like Beyoncé, can feel the Halo and prays it won't fade away. To that end, the streaming platform has already renewed the video game TV series adaptation for a second season, a full month before its first season is set to premiere on March 24.
In addition, David Wiener, an executive producer from Brave New World, Homecoming, and Fear the Walking Dead, has been tapped to serve as showrunner for season 2. This follows earlier reports that season 1's co-helmers dropped out of the show.
"Halo is an expansive, world-building opportunity for Paramount+, and we're thrilled to give fans a second season to look forward to before we launch the series next month," Tanya Giles, chief programming officer at Paramount+, said in a statement. "Halo will deliver a thrill-ride for fans of the game and non-gamers alike, as it ties together stunning visuals with a deeper look at the personal stories behind these iconic characters, all set within an epic battle for the future of humanity."

Pablo Schreiber stars as the Master Chief in Paramount+'s TV series adaptation of 'Halo.'

| CREDIT: PARAMOUNT+
David Nevins, chief content officer of scripted originals at Paramount+, and chairman and chief executive officer of Showtime Networks Inc., added that the early renewal "reflects the confidence we have in the power of this epic series to attract and engage viewers."

Pablo Schreiber stars in Halo as the Master Chief, a genetically altered super-soldier decked out in green mech armor fighting a war against an alien collective known as the Covenant in the 26th century. Trailers for the show have revealed a few aspects of the Halo video games being adapted for the live-action series, including the Master Chief's fellow Spartan soldiers, their alien adversaries, and the A.I. known as Cortana (voiced by the games' actress Jen Taylor).

Steven Kane and Kyle Killen initially worked as co-showrunners on season 1. Variety reported in June 2021 that Killen left the project prior to the start of production in Budapest because he felt as though he couldn't fulfill his full-time duties.
As for Kane, who's credited as executive producer on season 1, he spoke about his decision to leave while on the 2022 Television Critics Association tour.
"I came in and sort of redeveloped and fleshed out and did my work, but it can't be done remotely," he said in February. "So, I was in Hungary for close to two years out of the three I was working on it. As much as I enjoyed every minute of it, it's a long time to be away from my family. My kids were in their final years of high school and so I didn't want to leave again. While making Halo will go down for me as a career highlight, I knew I could really only do it for one season."

Halo's cast is rounded out by Natascha McElhone (Californication), Bokeem Woodbine (Fargo), Shabana Azmi (Fire), Natasha Culzac (The Witcher), Olive Gray (Half Moon Investigations), Yerin Ha (Reef Break), Bentley Kalu (Avengers: Age of Ultron), Kate Kennedy (Catastrophe), Charlie Murphy (Peaky Blinders), Danny Sapani (Penny Dreadful), Ryan McParland (6Degrees), Burn Gorman (The Expanse), and Fiona O'Shaughnessy (Nina Forever).
McParland, Gorman, and O'Shaughnessy will play brand-new characters created for the show.

Loan Me 20

Rising Star
Registered
Aye, in addition to looking entertaining it's making all of the "I'm not racist but..." cretins mad. Can't wait. :mike:

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Hold on… if Miranda Keyes is biracial… does that mean that Jacob Keyes is black in this story since Hasley is white. Interesting

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It's amazing how all these streaming services are stepping up with high production values on these Sc-Fi/Comic Book shows.
All the various high definition TV formats have forced studios to change their SFX game for sure.

"HALO" looked absolutely stunning.
Not "FOUNDATION" stunning.
But almost there.

And the show itself was pretty compelling.
I was a fair-weather fan of the game.
Though I've not played it in about 20 years.
But I was screaming like a little kid when Master Chief dropped down.

But taking off His helmet?
NO BUENO!!!