Who Here Has Expensive Hobbies and/or Toys

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Bruh, I bought an old school Fafner Tube Amp, and paired it with a 4x10 EBS bass cabinet. I use a Schecter Diamond Series four string for now. But you best believe a Fender P-Bass is in my future.
I have a few basses but I primarily use a Fender Jazz Bass Special to record with. I have a Schecter 004 and a Stilleto 5-string (even though I kinda hate anything over 4 strings on basses). I got the Jazz Bass Special because it feels like a Fender Jazz bass but has both the Jazz and P bass pickups. I'm pretty sure there is probably a model built like a P bass but has both pickups as well.
Now my guitar collection...well, that's another story! I'd be typing all day.

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah .50ae is stronger than 10mm. That's why Desert Eagles are so damn heavy. You need that weight to handle the recoil from it. 10mm was considered too strong for a lot of the FBI agents to pass their efficiency tests. That's why the 40S&W is sometimes called 40 Short & Weak or 10mm's lil bro.

I also carry .454 casull..on my person..brah

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yea man I always get the kicks it never crossed my mind to get my fits that much ha

Brah...I'm a sick man....I never buy outfits til I get a shoe.. brah.. I'm a fool...I walk in the mall with a shoe...and grab a random hoe...and tell her help me shop...and if you find a fit...for me...I will buy you a fit..that I like on you...bae...and that pussy is mines...after that.. brah

Bury1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ay yo

I can see picking up a few more expensive hobbies after seeing this thread

did the 125 gallon saltwater thing for many years

Tom Ford oud wood I just got put up on

I thought I was done but after this thread I’m pretty sure I’m going to revisit some and get into some new ones

RC cars…….where will it end

What a thread!!
It never ends, it either grows or shifts to something else.

notreally

Rising Star
Registered
1. Respect. You speak the truth with regards to good glass.

2. Props on your acquisitions. The better glass you have, the easier it is to get good shots right out of the gate. Its better to use great lenses than to have to fix digitally what was not caputred well....
BUT...
Before you take a full shit on Rokinon lenses, take into consideration the budget vs. project vs use case + camera used.
The Rokinon CineDSx lens kit can hit you for around $2k - $2.5k but you get your 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm and you get 1.5T stops out of that. If you are shooting an indie budget film on something like a Blackmagic URSA 12k or even the Pocket Cinema Camera 4k - 6kpro, you can get some fantastic results for the money. When editing in BRaw, you can work some miracles. I know a cat using the Sigma 12-35 Art lens + Blackmagic PPC4k that gets some really good footage. I think he just knows his camera and lens combo really well. That type of thing comes from getting lots of hands-on experience.
p rabbit hole.

:yes::yes::yes:

Contruction vs. glass: this is the issue I had with Sigma lenses.

The glass was great; the 105mm 2.8 was actually sharper, in my opinion, than the Nikkor 105 2.8.
The multicoating was NOT the same; the Nikkor, if memory serves, was warmer. The Sigma zoom lenses ( I had the 35-70 2.8, and the 100-300 2.8) became noticeably wobbly after just 2-3 weeks of use. The glass is good, but the lens bodies are not up to professional standards.

Japanese lenses tend to have a warmer rendition than German lenses.
This is because Japanese lenses and coatings are calibrated for photos involving people with warmer skin tones,
and vise versa. This is why I prefer Fuji for some things, particular people photos, and Zeiss for others (nothing like
still life photos). With regard to lanscapes, it depends on what I am trying to do. Neither is a poor choice.

Don't know much about Rokinon, so I cannot comment.

But I do not discount what you are saying. There are some "sleepers" that can be had for a song:

One of the greatest lenses I ever used (in 35mm) was on a cheap Yashica 35 Electro: the Yashinon Color, 45mm 1.7.

The micro contrast is spectacular, it is sharp right out of the gate at 1.7, gets sharper up to about f8-f11.
Some research led to the discovery that Yashica, waaaay back in the day, at one point was actually making some of
the lenses for Zeiss. The Yashinon is nothing more than a Zeiss Tessar under a different name.

Tessars are sharp in the center at maximum aperture, but soft around the edges. As you stop down (f2/2.8) the edges begin to sharpen as well.

The planars (also a Zeiss design) are sharp across the image plane right off the rip, and just get ridiculously sharper as you stop down.

Now that enlargers are no longer popular, a source of good CHEAP used lenses is the wide array of enlarging lenses.
Enlarging lenses are critically sharp; they HAVE to be in order to enlarge 35mm negs. I still have a Schneider 75mm Componon,
a lens made for enlarging. It is frighteningly sharp at all apertures. I used to play around with it on my large format cameras years ago. They are spectacular for photography, but the image circle they project was not big enough to cover a 4x5, let alone an 8x10 image plane. Then again, the lens was made for the 6x9 format.

As for the sharpest lenses I have owned, I would call it a toss up among:

75mm Fujinon on the GS645 Fuji rangefinder. (fixed lens)-I have shot 11x14, 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, 6x9, 6x8, 6x7, 6x6, 645, 35mm and digtal, full frame and cropped sensor formats, and NOTHING made by ANYONE exceeds the clarity and biting sharpness of this lens.

100mm Carl Zeiss 3.5 for the Hasselblad V system. Most people who own a Hasselblad V opt for the 80mm Planar, a spectacular lens. the 100mm is recommended by Hasseblad "when critical sharpness" is necessary. It is actually too sharp for portraiture, in my opinion.

Zuiko 45mm 1.7 G, a spectacular lens for 35mm. (fixed on the Olympus 35 SP rangefinder.)
Zuiko lenses are generally on the level of Canon and Nikon's best in terms of sharpeness, but THIS lens is
so sharp that the 35mm negs can pass for medium format at a quick glance.
There is a 3D quality that the 35mm 1.8 has. This lens can be had for as little as 50 bucks, but it s manual focus only.
A lot of artist types use the lens for cine because of the unique way of drawing a scene some of the Zuiko lenses have.

I am STILL looking for a good, clean
example of this camera to replace the one I foolishly sold years ago.

That being said, it is relatively easy to make a sharp lens. It is not sharpness alone that attracts me to a lens, but character.

Olympus Zuikos are sharp enough, but the old school Zuikos have a dreamy quality to the out of focus areas (bokeh) that none of the others have. I love the microcontrast of zeiss lenses, rivaled only, in my experience by Fuji.

If I had to have only one lens to shoot everything it would have to be a Fujinon or Zeiss. Why? Warmth, critical sharpness, and tonality. Zeiss lenses are clinically sharp; Fujis are just as sharp but seem to dig into shadows deeper, yielding a distinctive tonal character to black and white images. If sharpness alone is your thing, NOTHING made by ANYONE beats a Carl Zeiss lens. If I could only have ONE: Carl Zeiss 80mm Planar for Hasselblad V system. Unbeatable lens.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I could go on about glass for days.

Last edited:

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
:yes::yes::yes:

Contruction vs. glass: this is the issue I had with Sigma lenses.

The glass was great; the 105mm 2.8 was actually sharper, in my opinion, than the Nikkor 105 2.8.
The multicoating was NOT the same; the Nikkor, if memory serves, was warmer. The Sigma zoom lenses ( I had the 35-70 2.8, and the 100-300 2.8) became noticeably wobbly after just 2-3 weeks of use. The glass is good, but the lens bodies are not up to professional standards.

Japanese lenses tend to have a warmer rendition than German lenses.
This is because Japanese lenses and coatings are calibrated for photos involving people with warmer skin tones,
and vise versa. This is why I prefer Fuji for some things, particular people photos, and Zeiss for others (nothing like
still life photos). With regard to lanscapes, it depends on what I am trying to do. Neither is a poor choice.

Don't know much about Rokinon, so I cannot comment.

But I do not discount what you are saying. There are some "sleepers" that can be had for a song:

One of the greatest lenses I ever used (in 35mm) was on a cheap Yashica 35 Electro: the Yashinon Color, 45mm 1.7.

The micro contrast is spectacular, it is sharp right out of the gate at 1.7, gets sharper up to about f8-f11.
Some research led to the discovery that Yashica, waaaay back in the day, at one point was actually making some of
the lenses for Zeiss. The Yashinon is nothing more than a Zeiss Tessar under a different name.

Tessars are sharp in the center at maximum aperture, but soft around the edges. As you stop down (f2/2.8) the edges begin to sharpen as well.

The planars (also a Zeiss design) are sharp across the image plane right off the rip, and just get ridiculously sharper as you stop down.

Now that enlargers are no longer popular, a source of good CHEAP used lenses is the wide array of enlarging lenses.
Enlarging lenses are critically sharp; they HAVE to be in order to enlarge 35mm negs. I still have a Schneider 75mm Componon,
a lens made for enlarging. It is frighteningly sharp at all apertures. I used to play around with it on my large format cameras years ago. They are spectacular for photography, but the image circle they project was not big enough to cover a 4x5, let alone an 8x10 image plane. Then again, the lens was made for the 6x9 format.

As for the sharpest lenses I have owned, I would call it a toss up among:

75mm Fujinon on the GS645 Fuji rangefinder. (fixed lens)-I have shot 11x14, 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, 6x9, 6x8, 6x7, 6x6, 645, 35mm and digtal, full frame and cropped sensor formats, and NOTHING made by ANYONE exceeds the clarity and biting sharpness of this lens.

100mm Carl Zeiss 3.5 for the Hasselblad V system. Most people who own a Hasselblad V opt for the 80mm Planar, a spectacular lens. the 100mm is recommended by Hasseblad "when critical sharpness" is necessary. It is actually too sharp for portraiture, in my opinion.

Zuiko 45mm 1.7 G, a spectacular lens for 35mm. (fixed on the Olympus 35 SP rangefinder.)
Zuiko lenses are generally on the level of Canon and Nikon's best in terms of sharpeness, but THIS lens is
so sharp that the 35mm negs can pass for medium format at a quick glance.
There is a 3D quality that the 35mm 1.8 has. This lens can be had for as little as 50 bucks, but it s manual focus only.
A lot of artist types use the lens for cine because of the unique way of drawing a scene some of the Zuiko lenses have.

I am STILL looking for a good, clean
example of this camera to replace the one I foolishly sold years ago.

That being said, it is relatively easy to make a sharp lens. It is not sharpness alone that attracts me to a lens, but character.

Olympus Zuikos are sharp enough, but the old school Zuikos have a dreamy quality to the out of focus areas (bokeh) that none of the others have. I love the microcontrast of zeiss lenses, rivaled only, in my experience by Fuji.

If I had to have only one lens to shoot everything it would have to be a Fujinon or Zeiss. Why? Warmth, critical sharpness, and tonality. Zeiss lenses are clinically sharp; Fujis are just as sharp but seem to dig into shadows deeper, yielding a distinctive tonal character to black and white images. If sharpness alone is your thing, NOTHING made by ANYONE beats a Carl Zeiss lens. If I could only have ONE: Carl Zeiss 80mm Planar for Hasselblad V system. Unbeatable lens.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I could go on about glass for days.
:wepraise:
Excellent points! I didn't even think about the point that you made about the Japanese lenses being better coated for warmer skin tones.
White ppl make shit with white ppl in mind, so...no surprise there.
Zeiss is king, though. You're not wrong. That price tag reflects it, too.
Zeiss is not for the youtube shooter.

Great glass is an investment. You can have the lenses long after the cameras have moved on to the next model.
The DJI Mavic kits have Hassleblad cameras, btw. You can drone in style these days. I think DJI may either own them or is deeply invested in them.

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
been trying to keep my shyt minimum ..... small boat, 20+ rod/reel combo's, wall of tackle ..... I like cooking, always want a sharp ass knives ..... favorite car is my 92 xploder with the suicided doors .....

I be taking my boat out to fuck with white drunk hoes...and let my niggas go to fishing competitions...I fully suppawt my gang in all they activities... brah

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Brah...I'm a sick man....I never buy outfits til I get a shoe.. brah.. I'm a fool...I walk in the mall with a shoe...and grab a random hoe...and tell her help me shop...and if you find a fit...for me...I will buy you a fit..that I like on you...bae...and that pussy is mines...after that.. brah

Surely said shopping sessions successfully see sexual sessions soundly served up.

Skirts, shorts, shoes, swimsuits, sex.

:roflmao3: :cheers::fucking:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I be taking my boat out ...

Growing up my pops had a 17 foot sailboat. He kept it at the marina about 10 - 15 mins from home for a number of years, but over time the marina fees got too costly. He had a couple of friends who had yard space he could store it at thereafter.

In the early-2000s one of his friends and him co-owned a better boat - 24 footer. The friend had a good setup and their own dock, so they kept it there. It was an interesting set-up ... small house ... then 100+ stairs down to the waterfront. Workout just getting stuff to and from the boat and car, lol.

:roflmao::thumbsup:

Texas Catdaddy

the omnipotent one .....
Platinum Member
I'm stuck on Cameras, Computers and survival gear. I'm sure I have about 10 Sony cameras with assorted lenses. 20 computers hooked up in my apartment and an SUV tricked out like a post apocalyptic movie.

what you do to the SUV homes .....

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
what you do to the SUV homes .....
Added a bunch of these with all sorts of stuff attached:
DSC02473_5000x.jpg

Added some holsters:
drawing_standard.jpg

Put in a couple of these to record inside and outside
61eH1KF8OgL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Installed lights all around shining in all directions, lightbar, under carriage lights. Armored the bottom. Installed an android radio with all the functionality and apps of a phone:
728c7cb595b3475258d0fd7b617c9a80.jpg

Mounted 2 of these permanently to my roof rack for extra storage:
8123+x-qKQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The usual off road modifications: shocks, tires, lift, electrical, etc. The main thing is I keep the truck equipped for most disasters and having to get on the road quick. If I have to evacuate I could easily live off my vehicle for weeks if I had to.

Texas Catdaddy

the omnipotent one .....
Platinum Member
Added a bunch of these with all sorts of stuff attached:
DSC02473_5000x.jpg

Added some holsters:
drawing_standard.jpg

Put in a couple of these to record inside and outside
61eH1KF8OgL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Installed lights all around shining in all directions, lightbar, under carriage lights. Armored the bottom. Installed an android radio with all the functionality and apps of a phone:
728c7cb595b3475258d0fd7b617c9a80.jpg

Mounted 2 of these permanently to my roof rack for extra storage:
8123+x-qKQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The usual off road modifications: shocks, tires, lift, electrical, etc. The main thing is I keep the truck equipped for most disasters and having to get on the road quick. If I have to evacuate I could easily live off my vehicle for weeks if I had to.

love it bruh .....

william busa

Rising Star
Registered
I bought a 2021 Harley Davidson Road Glide. I've spent thousands of dollars on upgrades to make it "mine". It still needs better music, more lights, etc. I'm at the point of saying fuck it and just leaving it the way I got it now. I have a kid that will be starting college in 2 years so THAT might be my new expensive hobby.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

@killagram

Souls summed it up nearly 30 years ago ...

:roflmao3: :cheers:

[Verse 10: Tajai]
Restin' at the mall, attendance on 'noid (Get off!)
But I am shopping for my wish to exploit
Some few fits, some new kicks
I often do this, ‘cause it's the pits not being dipped

[Verse 11: Opio]
Flipped! The flyer attire females desire
Baby, you can step to this if you admire
The ex-traordinary, dapper rapper
Keep tabs on your main squeeze before I tap her

[Verse 12: A-Plus]
I mack her, attack her with the smoothness
I do this, peepin' what my crew gets, huh! (Shit)
Loot, props, respect, and blunts to pass

Crews talk shit, but in my face, they kiss my ass (Smack!)

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
@killagram

Souls summed it up nearly 30 years ago ...

:roflmao3: :cheers:

[Verse 10: Tajai]
Restin' at the mall, attendance on 'noid (Get off!)
But I am shopping for my wish to exploit
Some few fits, some new kicks
I often do this, ‘cause it's the pits not being dipped

[Verse 11: Opio]
Flipped! The flyer attire females desire
Baby, you can step to this if you admire
The ex-traordinary, dapper rapper
Keep tabs on your main squeeze before I tap her

[Verse 12: A-Plus]
I mack her, attack her with the smoothness
I do this, peepin' what my crew gets, huh! (Shit)
Loot, props, respect, and blunts to pass

Crews talk shit, but in my face, they kiss my ass (Smack!)

Classic shit... brah

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
now that's gangsta