NBA News

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Indy Will Buyout Tinsley If They Can't Deal Him?

Jun 29, 2008 10:14 AM EST

The Pacers have reportedly made the decision to buyout the contract of point guard Jamaal Tinsley if they aren't able to trade him, according to The New York Daily News.

Tinsley has three years and more than $21 million left on his contract.

Larry Bird and David Morway are rumored to have made the decision to buy out Tinsley well before dealing for point guards T.J. Ford and Jarrett Jack.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Celtics news:

Teams can begin negotiating with free agents Tuesday, and there has been a lot of talk concerning the Celtics' ability to re-sign forward James Posey. Other Celtics set to become free agents include forward-center P.J. Brown (who is expected to retire), guards Eddie House, Sam Cassell, and Tony Allen, and center Scot Pollard. "Players don't leave a team after they won a championship with them," said an NBA general manager when asked about Posey. Don't be surprised if quality veterans show interest in coming to Boston at a discount for a chance to play with the NBA champions. Forward-center Chris Andersen is a potential addition. Before signing Brown last season, the Celtics kept a keen eye on whether "The Birdman" would become a free agent after completing a two-year ban for substance abuse. New Orleans, however, exercised its right to keep him through last season. The two-time NBA dunk contest participant's athleticism, court speed, shot-blocking ability, and size (6 feet 11 inches) could make him a great fit defensively as Perkins's backup center.

xcluesiv

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i knew that tinsley situation would come to a head, that would be a nice coup for the celtics if they could get anderson, pollard ain't doing nothing

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
that would be a nice coup for the celtics if they could get anderson, pollard ain't doing nothing

chris anderson is a corn fed (and steroids taking) rebounding machine. isn't the mid range shooter that pj brown is, but his rebounding was top notch before he got banned with the other white boy on the hornets.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Proud papa says Ewing Jr. is nothing like the old man
By Ailene Voisin

capt.6fef446d09c34dd39169767881c45d69.kings_draft_picks_basketball_carp103.jpg

About an hour after Patrick Ewing Jr. is introduced at the Kings' practice facility Saturday afternoon, my cell phone rings. The voice on the other end is familiar, eager, emotional. The big fella wants to rave about his son.

"Patrick is nothing like me," Patrick Ewing Sr. says with a booming laugh. "He is very outgoing, very much his own person. Like every boy, he can be hard-headed sometimes. But I'm real proud of him. I think his mother, grandparents, myself, we all did an outstanding job raising him. I also think he's athletic enough to play in the league. Yes, I think so."

The Kings would seem to agree, though their enthusiasm is tempered by the NBA history books. Second-round draft choices tend to excite early, stick around for a while, then pursue jobs overseas. Ewing, who was selected 43rd Thursday, is a thoughtful and realistic young man. He arrives with an impressive basketball pedigree and a bachelor's degree in English from Georgetown but no illusions about the challenge ahead.

He is the son, not the father. He is a 6-foot-8 forward, not a 7-foot center. He is the rookie, not the legend. He has a chance.

Athletic with a spectacular 42-inch vertical leap, Ewing, who transferred from Indiana after two unproductive seasons, emerged as the Hoyas' valuable sixth man, though with modest averages of 6.1 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.8 assists.

Nevertheless, Geoff Petrie didn't go shopping for stats or searching for Ewing Lite. He went for the athleticism and the defense and the intangibles, envisioning a player who could come off the bench and guard two or three positions.

"Quick feet, quick hands, loves to defend," said Petrie, offering an abbreviated scouting report. "Very aggressive. And a great kid."

The older Ewing, currently an assistant with the Orlando Magic, describes his son as a stubborn, active child who was drawn to the sport at a young age but who labored with expectations, comparisons and academics in later years.

"From the time Patrick was about 2," Ewing said, "I would take him to the gym at Georgetown every day during the offseason, have them lower the goals and get one of those little balls. I'd look over and see him shooting, trying to mimic what he sees me do. He loved it. But he got a late start at organized ball because when he lived with me, and I was with the Knicks, he was always in trouble. Academically, he struggled, so I wouldn't let him play organized ball until he was about 15, when he went to live with his mother in Atlanta, and got more focused."

With another affectionate laugh, he added: "But he figured it out. He is his own person, that's for sure."

During Saturday's media gathering, young Patrick displayed those flashes of independence. North Carolina, not his father's alma mater, was his first choice for college. He majored in English, not art history like his father. (His favorite poem is "Beowulf"). He dreamed of playing in the NBA, but not necessarily as a center.

"My father has gotten more proactive in my basketball probably the last three years, when I got serious about it," he said. "We talk every day. But he never pressured me. He just encourages me to do well."

With a poise and confidence perhaps reflecting his 24 years, Ewing characterized recent events as one contiguous, joyous blur. He graduates from college one month, is drafted the next. His mother is eager finally to visit California, his father delighted that he was selected by the Kings.

Appropriately, he learned his destination just before it was announced on ESPN, when his father called from Orlando.

"We were in the war room," the senior Ewing related, "and because of the (telecast) delay, I knew Patrick was going to Sacramento. I called and told him he got picked by the Kings. He thought I was pulling his leg. I told him I think he has something to offer that they need. Yes, I do. But I'd be proud of my son even if he didn't get drafted, or if he doesn't make it in the league. He graduated from college. He's a great kid, a wonderful person. You'll see (laugh). He makes friends easier than me."

Last edited:

D-TOWN REP

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn...I wouldn't mind the Mavs trying to get Anderson...we need to get more athletic up front...but it seems like we are hell bent on sigining Diop's sorry ass :smh:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
James Posey Becomes a Free Agent

James Posey's agent Mark Bartelstien confirmed today that his client is not going to exercise a $3.2 million option and will officially become an unrestricted free agent. Free agency begins Tuesday. Players can sign with new teams starting on July 8. Posey is expected to get a lot of interest from a lot of teams, but will also be the Celtics' top priority. Boston Globe

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Wizards Sign Jamison To Extension

Jun 30, 2008 7:28 PM EST

Washington Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld announced today that the team has signed forward Antawn Jamison to a contract extension. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not released.

The deal is reportedly in the four-year, $50 million range. “Signing Antawn to a contract extension was a top priority for us this summer,” said Grunfeld. “He has been a leader for us both on and off the court over the last four seasons, and we’re proud to reward his efforts by bringing him back.” Jamison led the Wizards in scoring (21.4 ppg) and rebounding (a career-high 10.2 rpg) last season to earn his second career All-Star appearance. He was one of only five players in the NBA to average at least 20 points and 10 rebounds and posted a career-high 44 double-doubles.

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
Philly sports news is talking about a trade between the sixers and the hawks. They are saying that Josh Smith is going to come to philly and Igudala is going to ATL. Anybody in the A hear anything about this

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Orlando May Make Move For Maggette

Jun 30, 2008 8:44 AM EST

The Magic could make a move for Corey Maggette within the next few weeks in an effort to bring him back to where he begin his career, according to The Orlando Sentinel.

He has until Monday night to opt out of his contract with the Clippers and has reportedly been telling friends that he wants Orlando to make a competitive offer for his services.

"I think he'd come back in a heartbeat," said a friend of Maggette. "It's something he'd love to see happen."

The Magic only have the mid-level exception ($5.8 million) to offer, but they could assemble a deal worth roughly $40 million over five years.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Restricted free agents Gomes, Smith and Richard get offers from Wolves

Updated: June 30, 2008, 8:03 PM ET

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Timberwolves extended qualifying offers to restricted free agents Ryan Gomes, Craig Smith and Chris Richard on Monday and chose to let Sebastian Telfair and Kirk Snyder become unrestricted free agents.

The moves were a formality the team had to go through with the start of the free agent bidding period beginning on Tuesday.

By qualifying Gomes, Smith and Richard, the Wolves retained their right of first refusal for all three players. That means they will have the option of matching any offer the players get from another team.

Gomes was acquired from Boston in last year's deal for Kevin Garnett. The versatile forward averaged career highs in points (12.6), rebounds (5.8) and assists (1.8) in his first season in Minnesota. He spent time at both small- and power-forward and is well-liked in the locker room.

Gomes said last weekend that he would like to return to Minnesota, and all signs point to that happening.

"You always want to go somewhere you're wanted," Gomes said.

Smith was a second-round pick two years ago who has become a reliable offensive forward off the bench. The undersized power averaged 9.4 points and 4.6 rebounds last season.

Richard, a second-round pick out of Florida a year ago, spent some time in the NBDL and played sparingly in his rookie season.

The Timberwolves did not extend a qualifying offer to Telfair because they would have had to pay the point guard $3.5 million next season. The team still wants to get a deal done with Telfair, who is entering his fifth season and played well when Randy Foye missed most of the first half of the season with a knee injury.

Telfair averaged 9.3 points, a career-high 5.9 assists and 1.8 turnovers last season and was the only other point guard on the roster behind Foye after the Wolves traded the draft rights to O.J. Mayo and Marko Jaric to Memphis on Thursday as part of a deal that landed them Kevin Love and Mike Miller.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Wizards hang on to Jamison with 4-year, $50 million extension

Updated: June 30, 2008, 9:11 PM ET

The Washington Wizards got a jump on their offseason business.

Forward Antawn Jamison was kept off the free-agent market with a four-year extension worth $50 million. The deal comes before Jamison was to become an unrestricted free agent.

Jamison traveled from North Carolina to Washington on Monday to sign the deal.

"I just signed. We got it out of the way," Jamison told The Associated Press.

Free agency in the NBA begins at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday and Jamison was expected to draw serious interest from the Philadelphia 76ers, one of the few teams -- along with the Memphis Grizzlies and the Los Angeles Clippers -- to have salary-cap room this summer to bid for top players.

A deal had to be completed before midnight or the Wizards would have been forced to wait until July 9 to re-sign Jamison, when the league's moratorium on signings and trades is lifted. That could have also exposed Jamison to interest from other teams.

Although he just turned 32, Jamison is coming off his best season as a pro. He averaged 21.4 points and a career-best 10.2 rebounds in 79 games, earning a spot on the Eastern Conference All-Star team and helping the Wizards (43-39) reach the playoffs as a No. 5 seed despite injuries that limited franchise guard Gilbert Arenas to 13 games and fellow All-Star forward Caron Butler to 58 games.

Washington's first-round loss to Cleveland in six games was its third consecutive playoff elimination inflicted by the Cavaliers, but the Wizards believe that they can compete with the East's elite if the Arenas-Butler-Jamison core could find some sustained health. The Wizards did post a 3-1 record last season against the eventual champions from Boston, with no other team in the league beating the Celtics more than twice during the regular season.

Securing Jamison's signature enables the Wizards to focus on re-signing Arenas, who has opted out of next season's $12.8 million salary to become a free agent despite the knee problems that have plagued him for more than a year.

"He said he'd take less money if they got me, and they got me," Jamison said. "So I think everything will get worked out with Gilbert."

Arenas maintains that he intends to represent himself this summer as he seeks a new six-year contract in excess of $100 million.

"Once he heard that I had reached a deal, he congratulated me," said Jamison, repeating a text message conversation he had with Arenas. "And I said 'I can't wait to congratulate you tomorrow.'"

The Wizards can't negotiate with Arenas until Tuesday because he opted out of his contract.

"Signing Antawn to a contract extension was a top priority for us this summer," team president Ernie Grunfeld said. "He has been a leader for us both on and off the court over the last four seasons, and we're proud to reward his efforts by bringing him back."

Arenas plans to leave for a sponsor-related trip to China on Tuesday, but Jamison is confident his teammate will be back.

"Let me ask you: If somebody offered you, what is it, $100 million?" Jamison said. "I don't care if you're Gil or you're so-and-so, would you take the deal?"

Earlier Monday, Grunfeld joked about trying to negotiate with Arenas in a different hemisphere.

"What are you doing?" Grunfeld said, holding his hand to his face as if he were talking on the telephone. "Oh, you're at the Great Wall? Great phone reception."

Jamison earned $16.4 million last season in the final year of max extension he received from the Golden State Warriors back in August 2001. Although he's taking a healthy pay cut in terms of annual average salary, Jamison has maintained for months that he hoped to re-sign with Washington after four successful years with the Wizards following a one-season stint with the Dallas Mavericks in 2003-04, which earned him NBA Sixth Man Award honors.

"There wasn't any doubt in my mind that I'd be back," said Jamison, 32.

In December, Jamison also spoke fondly at the time of his role as Washington's elder statesman, saying: "You know what? I've been in a lot of situations before. I've been the young fella, I've been the guy who's trying to learn how to be a leader, I've been the guy coming off the bench as a sixth man. And now all of a sudden I'm the old head. It's been 10 years and it's gone by fast. But I'm really enjoying this."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Kings forward Artest not opting out of final year

Updated: June 30, 2008, 10:32 PM ET

On the last night of the NBA Finals, Ron Artest said he was "99 percent sure" he wouldn't opt out of his contract with the Sacramento Kings. Make it 100.

"Not opting out," Artest told ESPN.com's Marc Stein via e-mail Monday night. "The Kings have been there for me, so the best I could do is stay in my contract."

Artest's agent, Mark Stevens, confirmed that his client will fulfill the final year, worth nearly $8 million.

Artest played in only 57 games due to injury last season and averaged 20.5 points and 5.8 rebounds per game.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Brand to opt out, hopes to work out deal with Clippers

By J.A. Adande

Updated: June 30, 2008, 10:06 PM ET

Elton Brand said on Monday that he is opting out of the final year of his contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, but that he hopes to re-sign with the team.

"We're opting out," Brand said. "It definitely doesn't mean I'm leaving the Clippers. We're trying to work it out. My intention is to stay."

Brand is forgoing the $16.4 million on the last year of his deal, a final decision he made at Monday's deadline to notify the team and the league. Earlier in the day, teammate Corey Maggette filed the paperwork to opt out of his contract, the Los Angeles Times reported, creating potentially $10 million of salary cap space if the Clippers do not re-sign him.

Brand's agent, David Falk, said the forward wants to see the Clippers sign a quality free agent and try to assemble a winning team in Los Angeles.

"It preserves options to make the team better," Falk said. "Clearly, if Elton decided he wanted to simply max out the dollars, he would have stayed in the deal, had a monster year and a lot more teams will have cap room next year."

Brand now has the right to leave the Clippers without compensation. Yet it's more likely that he would push for a sign-and-trade to a new team if he can't negotiate a new long-term deal to his liking with L.A, which Falk insists is Brand's preferred scenario.

Memphis and Philadelphia are the only teams with the requisite salary-cap space this summer to make sufficiently lucrative offers to sign Brand away from the Clippers outright. Even the Sixers -- despite their publicly stated interest in acquiring a power play -- might not have enough with an estimated $11 million to offer for a first-year salary.

It's believed that the Miami Heat will make another hard pitch to land Brand via trade. The contract Brand is vacating was originally signed with Miami when the 29-year-old power forward was a restricted free agent in the summer of 2003, with the Clippers matching that six-year, $82 million deal.

Falk said a visit to Boston for Game 2 of the NBA Finals influenced Brand's decision to opt out.

"He watched what happened when a few stars get together and agree to have a communal effort," Falk said. "He said 'That's what I'd like to accomplish in my career.'"

Of course it helps to trade for a couple of All-Stars, as the Celtics did when they acquired Ray Allen and then Kevin Garnett. The Clippers have a solid young frontcourt in Brand, center Chris Kaman and Al Thornton, who is coming off a promising rookie season. Guard Cuttino Mobley has two seasons remaining on his contract, and the Clippers selected Indiana guard Eric Gordon with No. 7 pick in the draft last week.

Since Shaun Livingston's devastating knee injury last season, point guard has been the Clippers' most unsettled position. Beno Udrih of the Sacramento Kings is an unrestricted free agent and a potential target.

Brand injured his knee last summer and appeared in only eight games near the end of the 2007-08 season, averaging 17.6 points and 8.0 rebounds. The best season in his nine-year career came in 2005-06, when he averaged 24.7 points, 10.0 rebounds, shot 53 percent and led the franchise into the second round of the playoffs for the first time since it played in Buffalo in 1976.

On Monday, Brand sounded interested in staying in Los Angeles. He has branched out into film production (his first movie, "Rescue Dawn," was released last year) and his wife is expecting a son in October.

"Right now it's just trying to solidify my future and work things out with the Clippers," Brand said. "I've got a lot of going on."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Sources: Hornets' Chandler to travel with Team USA as No. 1 alternate

By Chris Sheridan

Updated: June 30, 2008, 8:16 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Tyson Chandler might be going to Asia with Team USA after all -- but only as an alternate.

Two sources told ESPN.com on Monday that Chandler has been invited to attend training camp with Team USA in Las Vegas beginning July 21, then travel with the team to Macao and Shanghai for exhibition games.

USA Basketball was awaiting a response from Chandler, who was passed over in favor of Tayshaun Prince when USA Basketball officials decided on their 12-man roster nearly two weeks ago.

The other five alternates will be Shawn Marion, Kevin Durant, Chauncey Billups, Joe Johnson and Mike Miller, ESPN.com has learned.

The thinking behind the decision to invite Chandler along is this: If one of the 12 players gets injured during the pre-Olympic tour, Chandler would already be in place -- present with the team instead of an ocean away, and aware of what they've been working on -- to step in and fill the spot.

The Americans have only three true big men -- Dwight Howard, Carlos Boozer and Chris Bosh -- on the 12-man roster that will be submitted to the USOC on Tuesday, and Howard has been hampered by a hairline fracture of the sternum he sustained during Orlando's second-round playoff loss to Detroit. Howard did not practice with the team during its one-day mini-camp Saturday in Las Vegas, though he says he expects to be fully healthy by the end of July.

The Americans do not have to submit a final roster until FIBA holds a technical committee meeting on Aug. 6 in Beijing, although it is difficult to make a change to the initial 12-man roster unless there is an injury to one of the players that can be verified by a doctor from the International Olympic Committee. But injuries happen, and Team USA's decision to invite Chandler along is a clear indication that he will be the No. 1 alternate heading into the Olympic Games.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Baron passes on riches: Warriors' Davis to opt out of deal

ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 30, 2008, 11:06 PM ET

Another big name hit the free-agent market on Monday.

Golden State Warriors' guard Baron Davis decided to opt out of the final year of his contract, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

He leaves $17.8 million on the table. Players had until 12:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday to exercise the option in their contracts to opt out.

Davis averaged 21.8 points, 4.7 rebounds and 7.6 assists last season for a Golden State team that went 48-34 but didn't make the playoffs. The two-time All-Star played in all 82 games last season.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Wizards Sign Jamison To Extension

Not a bad deal, but Arenas for $100m? they must enjoy not going far in the playoffs. It would be dumb to give a player coming off an injury and who was a non-factor in the playoffs, because of it, this kind of extension. Let them get past cleveland, and then consider it.

Philly sports news is talking about a trade between the sixers and the hawks. They are saying that Josh Smith is going to come to philly and Igudala is going to ATL. Anybody in the A hear anything about this

That trade moves philly back a step and pushes the hawks up a step.

Orlando May Make Move For Maggette

They need someone like him on their team. he can score and gets to the line often.

Baron passes on riches: Warriors' Davis to opt out of deal

can't wait to see where he ends up.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Kings forward Artest not opting out of final year

Updated: June 30, 2008, 10:32 PM ET

On the last night of the NBA Finals, Ron Artest said he was "99 percent sure" he wouldn't opt out of his contract with the Sacramento Kings. Make it 100.

"Not opting out," Artest told ESPN.com's Marc Stein via e-mail Monday night. "The Kings have been there for me, so the best I could do is stay in my contract."

Artest's agent, Mark Stevens, confirmed that his client will fulfill the final year, worth nearly $8 million.

Artest played in only 57 games due to injury last season and averaged 20.5 points and 5.8 rebounds per game.

..damn, it hasn't even been a whole day :smh::

Artest says it was a 'mistake' not to opt out of deal with Kings

By Marc Stein

Updated: July 1, 2008, 6:38 PM ET

After seeing Elton Brand and Baron Davis unexpectedly put themselves on the free-agent market, Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest is second-guessing himself for not doing the same.

Artest told ESPN.com on Tuesday that he wishes now he had opted for unrestricted free agency, like Brand and Davis, instead of electing to play out the final year of his contract with the Kings next season at $7.4 million.

Artest also conceded that his long-term future is likely not in Sacramento, saying via e-mail: "I don't see myself with [the] Kings beyond 2008-09.

"I think I made the biggest mistake by staying in my contract and I have to live with it," Artest said. "I had some misleading information [in making the] decision on not opting out. [But] I still thank GOD for all his blessings and being able to play basketball and help people."

Artest let his opportunity to become a free agent pass Monday as he had been vowing to do for weeks. The 28-year-old preferred to put off free agency until next summer, figuring that he'd likely only generate contract offers this summer starting at the mid-level exception -- which was $5.4 million last season -- and believing that a big 2008-09 season would increase his chances of securing a long-term deal from either the Kings or someone else.

Before announcing his decision, Artest said last week: "Even if I was to opt out, which probably won't happen, I will never accept a mid-level exception. So people trying to figure out possibilities should get that out of their heads."

But by declining to walk away from the final year of his current contract -- and thus surrendering the right to choose a new team -- Artest might actually have increased the likelihood that he winds up playing elsewhere between now and next February's trading deadline.

At what amounts to an expiring contract valued at less than $8 million, Artest has a very tradeable salary in spite of any concerns about his controversial past.

The Kings seriously explored the market for Artest at the February trading deadline, most notably in talks with the Denver Nuggets.

The Los Angeles Lakers have been widely expected to revisit past trade interest in Artest, given Artest's friendship with Lakers star Kobe Bryant and after L.A.'s toughness and defense were subjected to heavily criticism during the NBA Finals. It's also presumed that Lakers coach Phil Jackson would be an ideal boss for the mercurial swingman, but trades between teams from the same division -- especially teams that have the contentious history that the Lakers and Kings share -- are always complicated.

The Kings far exceeded most preseason forecasts by posting a 38-44 record under rookie coach Reggie Theus. Artest had one his best statistical seasons -- averaging 20.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.5 assists in 57 games -- and has claimed often that the Kings would have been right there with the eight 50-win teams in the West if not for the injuries suffered by leading scorer Kevin Martin and ex-Kings guard Mike Bibby as well as the 25 games Artest lost to injury and suspension. Artest missed the first seven games of the season serving a seven-game league ban after a no-contest plea to infliction of injury on his wife.

That was the latest transgression in a career full of missteps -- a list that most notably includes Artest's suspension for the remainder of the season for his role in the infamous Detroit Pistons-Indiana Pacers brawl in November 2004 -- but Artest has been actively working to address doubts about his reliability. He is heavily involved with the NBA Players Association's humanitarian efforts in Africa and elsewhere abroad, signed on this season as a spokesman for PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and has volunteered in recent weeks to do television work for the WNBA's Sacramento Monarchs, who are likewise operated by Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof.

Artest also unsuccessfully reached out to USA Basketball officials earlier this month in a bid to convince them to consider him as an 11th-hour candidate for this summer's China-bound Olympic team.

"My basketball skill and my character and community work speaks for itself," Artest said. "I believe in them and believe it can work for an organization."

Last edited:

roscoep

Potential Star
Registered
B-Diddy to the Clippers! Once again for the like the 8th time in the last 10 years, The Clips are lookin good on paper. Lets see if they can make something happen.

Brand
Davis
Q Ross
Kaman
Thorton

Solid lineup. They still arent fucking with my Lakers, but right now im not trying to think of the Lake Show.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Davis verbally agrees to go to Clippers, leave Warriors

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 1, 2008, 8:32 PM ET

Baron Davis shocked the Warriors by opting out of his contract on Monday. Imagine their surprise now.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the guard reached a verbal agreement with the Clippers on Tuesday night and will sign a new multiyear contract with Los Angeles after the leaguewide moratorium on signings and trades is lifted July 9.

Davis was in line to make $17.8 million in the last year of his deal with the Warriors, but after telling the team that he wanted to stay, opted out at the last minute.

Sources told ESPN.com that Davis, 29, will receive a five-year deal worth an estimated $65 million.

Forward Elton Brand also opted out of his contract with the Clippers on Monday, and speculation quickly began that the team would try to keep Brand and sign Davis. This scenario is only possible if the Clippers renounce the rights of Corey Maggette and Brand takes a slight pay cut.

Sources say the Clippers are expected to do just that and quickly reach a verbal agreement to bring back Brand.

Maggette opted out of his deal on Monday as well.

Davis averaged 21.8 points, 7.6 assists and 4.7 rebounds last season for a Warriors team that won 48 games but did not make the playoffs.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Calderon says he's reached agreement on new Raptors deal

ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 1, 2008, 4:16 PM ET

Happy Canada Day indeed. Point guard Jose Calderon will remain a Toronto Raptor. The restricted free agent said so himself Tuesday.

"Early this morning, through my agents, I reached a preliminary agreement with the Toronto Raptors," Calderon said in a message posted on his Web site. "I want to thank [Raptors president and general manager] Bryan Colangelo, [assistant GM] Maurizio Gherardini, [coach] Sam Mitchell and all of the Raptors family for the confidence that they have placed in me.

"I am sure that together we are going to achieve big things in the future."

Calderon, who was in Madrid on Tuesday to meet with his Spain teammates ahead of the Olympic Games, declined to give details of the contract, but NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that the Raptors have also struck verbal agreements to sign Croatian guard Roko Ukic, whom they drafted in 2005, and former New Jersey Nets draftee Hassan Adams along with Calderon after the moratorium is lifted.

As of 12:01 a.m. Tuesday morning, NBA teams were permitted to commence negotiations and strike verbal agreements with free agents, with actual signings and trades on hold until a leaguewide moratorium is lifted July 9.

Calderon averaged 11.2 points and 8.3 assists per game last year, when he split starting duties with T.J. Ford. But the path for him to be the full-time starter was cleared last week when the Raptors and Indiana Pacers agreed to a trade of six-time All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto for Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic and the 17th pick in the draft (which turned out to be Georgetown center Roy Hibbert).

The Raptors also received the 41st pick from the Pacers -- 6-foot-10 Australian Nathan Jawai -- and Indiana received Raptors forward Maceo Baston to complete the trade.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Point guard says he and Kings agree to five-year contract

By Chad Ford

Updated: July 1, 2008, 4:10 PM ET

The Sacramento Kings found a way to keep their starting point guard, Beno Udrih, despite some fierce competition.

Udrih and the Kings have verbally agreed to a five-year contract for the full mid-level exception, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com.

Assuming the full mid-level comes in at $5.5 million this year, Udrih would get a contract worth $33.3 million. The same source said Udrih would have a player option for the fifth year of his contract.

"I am so happy and honored to be returning to the Kings," Udrih told ESPN.com. "They took a chance on me and believed in me. I can't wait to get back to my teammates and the city that has become home to me."

The Kings outbid the Los Angeles Clippers, who also offered Udrih a five-year deal for the mid-level. Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy flew to New York and met with Udrih at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday morning -- the earliest NBA teams were permitted to commence negotiations and strike verbal agreements with free agents. Dunleavy was persuasive, but at the end of the day Udrih wanted to return to the team that gave him his big break.

The new contract is quite a turnaround for Udrih. For his first three years in the league Udrih was a little used back-up in San Antonio. At the start of last season, he was traded to Sacramento to fill in for the injured Mike Bibby. Udrih broke out and averaged 12.8 points and 4.3 assists for the Kings last season.

GentlemanPlayer

Worldwide from Baltimore
OG Investor

This is sorta like the deal Art Modell agreed to with the city of Cleveland. He left the team name, logo and colors in Cleveland.

Bennett gets to take the team to Oklahoma City, but he leaves the Sonics name, logo and colors in Seattle.

If I'm Seattle, I try to get Key Arena fixed up, or get started on a new arena. Stern can be a lowlife, but he is giving them a chance to remain in the NBA.

DiamondDeuce

Support BGOL
Registered
This is sorta like the deal Art Modell agreed to with the city of Cleveland. He left the team name, logo and colors in Cleveland.

Bennett gets to take the team to Oklahoma City, but he leaves the Sonics name, logo and colors in Seattle.

If I'm Seattle, I try to get Key Arena fixed up, or get started on a new arena. Stern can be a lowlife, but he is giving them a chance to remain in the NBA.

I'm trying to figure out why they pressing so hard to move to Oklahoma City :confused:

Sure the Hornets did ok their as a short term novelty act a few years ago...but I don't know about the long term.

Will the fans pack the arena every night.........when they know the team is there to stay?

From a TV Market hell Oklahoma City is got to be worst than Milwaukee..:(

How are you going to convince free agents to come play there:confused:

I can't imagine having a star studded Allstar break there :confused:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Boston Meets With Chris Andersen

Jul 03, 2008 3:58 PM EST

The Celtics met with free agent center Chris Andersen and his agent Steve Heumann on Wednesday, according to The Boston Globe.

Andersen had dinner with general manager Danny Ainge and planned to met with the team's staff on Thursday.

"He's a guy we've always wanted," Ainge said. "We just want to sit down and talk to Chris and see where he is at with his desire to play in Boston and to see if we think he is a fit."

The Hornets are also interested in retaining Andersen, with free agents officially able to sign deals on Tuesday.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Paul agrees on four-year, $68M deal to keep him in New Orleans

Associated Press

Updated: July 3, 2008, 8:09 PM ET

NEW ORLEANS -- Chris Paul and the Hornets have reached a contract agreement that could keep the All-Star point guard with the team for at least the next four seasons.

Lance Young, Paul's agent, said Paul agreed Thursday to a three-year extension with a player's option for a fourth year. The total value of the deal is $68 million.

Paul has one season remaining on his current contract.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Arenas agrees to deal
washingtontimes.com
POSTED 7:02 PM BY Mike Jones

Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas has informed Wizards team president Ernie Grunfeld he will agree to a six-year deal worth $111 million, in his words, giving back roughly $16 million of the max, $127 million deal the team offered him Tuesday morning.

"This is in line with what I've been saying the whole time," Arenas said Thursday evening in a telephone conversation from China. "You see players take max deals and they financially bind their teams. I don't wanna be one of those players and three years down the road your team is strapped and can't do anything about it."

Arenas said Grunfeld is going over the numbers to figure out how exactly the money will be dispersed over the six years and then he will officially come to terms with the team Tuesday when free agents are permitted to sign with teams.

"It's a relief," Arenas said. "It was a burden at the same time. You're whole city is depending on you, wondering if you're going to make the right decision. I'm a franchise player and sometimes franchise players need to make franchise decisions."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Duhon To Sign With Knicks

Jul 04, 2008 3:27 PM EST

Point guard Chris Duhon has agreed to sign with the Knicks.

Duhon will reportedly receive a two-year deal starting at the full mid-level exception. The total contract value will be approximately $12 million.

"I am just excited, I am ready to get to work for the Knicks," Duhon said. "It's a big stage, playing in New York. It's something every player in the NBA wants."

"Chris could have shopped himself around more, but in the end, he wanted a fit where he felt comfortable and he knew what kind of opportunity he would be getting," Duhon's agent, Kevin Bradbury, said. "He wasn't worried about trying to find more money on the market or anything like that. He wanted the right situation, and this just felt like the right situation."

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
^^^^^^^
With Marbury & Nate Robinson on the roster it's going to be hard to get playing time in Dantoni's system. Marbury & Nate are better scorers than Duhon. On another note, I guess that we can expect to see Q Rich jacking up 3's again this season.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Marbury's Knick Career At Its End

Jul 05, 2008 2:33 AM EST

Howard Beck of the New York Times reports that it is "a near certainty" that Stephon Marbury will not return to the Knicks next season, according to people with close ties to both Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni.

The sources cited by Beck spoke anonymously because the information was disclosed privately and because Marbury's imminent departure has apparently not yet been discussed with Marbury himself.

It is unclear whether Marbury will be traded, bought out or waived.

Free-agent Chris Duhon agreed to terms with the Knicks on Friday and is likely to take over the starting point guard job in New York.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Celtics Acting As If Brown Will Retire

Jul 05, 2008 12:20 PM EST

The Celtics would love to have veteran forward P.J. Brown back next season, but they are believe he'll retire, according to The Boston Herald.

"Whatever P.J. wants," Danny Ainge said Friday. "He knows that we’d love to have him back, but he has to want to come back."

The last time Ainge spoke with Brown the forward insisted that he was not coming back.

"I’m not counting on it," Ainge added. "He’s 39 years old, and he has a nice family. He was a great contributor in our winning, but he said he doesn’t want to play."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Beasley Has A Fractured Sternum

Jul 04, 2008 10:16 PM EST

Heat rookie forward Michael Beasley says that he has a slightly fractured sternum, according to The South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

He wrote in his blog that it is "a very, very slight fracture of the sternum."

Beasley returned to noncontact drills after getting elbowed in the chest by a teammate on Wednesday.

"They're going to keep me out of contact for 3-5 days just to be safe. By that time the very slight fracture will have healed," he wrote in his blog.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Beasley Has A Fractured Sternum

Jul 04, 2008 10:16 PM EST

Heat rookie forward Michael Beasley says that he has a slightly fractured sternum, according to The South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

He wrote in his blog that it is "a very, very slight fracture of the sternum."

Beasley returned to noncontact drills after getting elbowed in the chest by a teammate on Wednesday.

"They're going to keep me out of contact for 3-5 days just to be safe. By that time the very slight fracture will have healed," he wrote in his blog.

ah, initiating the rookie with a little contact...