NBA News

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Clippers Sign Ricky Davis

it's no secret that i don't much care for ricky davis' style of play, but i think the clippers needed a scorer like him.

but elgin baylor's comment had me rolling. help your low post players do what, elgin? learn some post moves? no amount of spacing is gonna help someone develop a jump hook overnight.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Kwame Joins Detroit

good for him. i hope the deal works out.

so much for the geniuses who said kwame brown would never get another gig.

so much for the geniuses who said kwame brown would never see another multi-million dollar deal.

maybe kwame brown can find his niche with detroit like elden campbell did.

D-TOWN REP

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
it's no secret that i don't much care for ricky davis' style of play, but i think the clippers needed a scorer like him.

but elgin baylor's comment had me rolling. help your low post players do what, elgin? learn some post moves? no amount of spacing is gonna help someone develop a jump hook overnight.

Yeah the Clippers needed someone else who could put points on the board...hell it wouldn't even suprise me if he ended up starting instead of Mobley

good for him. i hope the deal works out.

so much for the geniuses who said kwame brown would never get another gig.

so much for the geniuses who said kwame brown would never see another multi-million dollar deal.

maybe kwame brown can find his niche with detroit like elden campbell did.

Man I think that was just a bunch of BGOL "experts" talking..lol

Kwame Brown will be in the NBA into in 30s...just because he was a bust as a 1st overall pick doesn't mean he isn't good enough to be in the NBA...he is big, strong, and athletic...can't teach any of that stuff..

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Donaghy sentenced to 15 months in prison in gambling scandal

NEW YORK -- Disgraced NBA referee Tim Donaghy was sentenced to 15 months in prison Tuesday after pleading guilty last year to taking thousands of dollars in payoffs from a professional gambler for inside betting tips.

The sentencing of Donaghy closes a chapter in a scandal that convulsed the NBA.

The league has angrily denied Donaghy's claim that corruption among referees runs deeper.

Donaghy pleaded guilty last August to conspiracy to engage in wire fraud and transmitting betting information through interstate commerce.

Last week, two of Donaghy's former high school classmates were sentenced to more than a year in prison for their roles in the scheme.

Donaghy, 41, had faced up to 33 months in prison.

Donaghy also was sentenced to a three-year term of supervised release, on the condition that he receive mental health treatment for his gambling addiction.

Donaghy's defense attorney asked that Donaghy be sent to a federal prison camp in Florida, near his family.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3509440

TimRock

BGOL Investor
Philly keeps getting better and better. I got them finishing second in the east. Boston should be worried.

76ers Sign Free Agent Guard Kareem Rush

Philadelphia, Pa. – July 29, 2008 – Philadelphia 76ers President and General Manager Ed Stefanski announced today that the team has signed free agent guard Kareem Rush. Per team policy, terms of the agreement are not disclosed.

"As we continue to build our team, we're fortunate that we were able to sign a player as talented as Kareem Rush," Stefanski said. "We feel his abilities on both ends of the floor and his range as a three-point shooter will be assets to us this season."

In five NBA seasons, Rush (6-6/215) has appeared in 314 games with 77 starts, averaging 6.8 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 18.1 minutes per game while shooting 40.2% from the floor, 36.0% from 3-point range and 69.8% from the line. Rush has also played a total of 31 playoff games, averaging 3.6 points while shooting 39.3% from 3-point range.

Last season, Rush saw action in 71 games with 15 starts for Indiana, averaging 8.3 points, a career-high 2.4 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 21.2 minutes per game. After not hitting more than 57 3-pointers in any of his first four NBA seasons, Rush drilled 102 3-pointers in 2007-08 on a career-high 38.9% shooting. He recorded at least two made three-pointers in 33 games, including three or more 13 times. Andre Iguodala led the Sixers in games with multiple three-pointers made last season with 30.
http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/76ers_sign_rush_080729.html

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Cavs Attempted Deal For Deng

The Cavaliers tried to work a sign-and-trade with Chicago for Luol Deng, but the Bulls decided to keep him for $71 million over six years.

Cleveland is not interested in Ben Gordon but would be intrigued by Kirk Hinrich.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Cleveland Making A Play For J.R. Smith?

Aug 04, 2008 12:34 PM EST

The Cavs are talking to Denver about restricted free agent J.R. Smith.

The Nuggets have said that they will match any offer sheet Smith signs with another club.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
I wonder what the Chinese government will have to say about this:

Yao: Beijing Will Be My Last Olympics

Rockets' center Yao Ming claims that this month's Olympic Games in Beijing will be his last appearance for his home country of China, according to Reuters.

"It will be my third (Olympics)," Yao said.

"I was a very young player and got my first taste of the Olympics in 2000 at Sydney. I played in Athens in 2004 and now this is my home country and the highest special honor in 2008," he added. "Enough, I think. Why would I need to play in London in 2012."

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wonder what the Chinese government will have to say about this:

Yao: Beijing Will Be My Last Olympics

Rockets' center Yao Ming claims that this month's Olympic Games in Beijing will be his last appearance for his home country of China, according to Reuters.

"It will be my third (Olympics)," Yao said.

"I was a very young player and got my first taste of the Olympics in 2000 at Sydney. I played in Athens in 2004 and now this is my home country and the highest special honor in 2008," he added. "Enough, I think. Why would I need to play in London in 2012."

Speaking of the Olympics has anyone been checking out Team USA's exhibition games? If yes, how is the team looking? What kind of rotation are they running? And what do you think the team's chances of winning the Gold medal are?

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
Speaking of the Olympics has anyone been checking out Team USA's exhibition games? If yes, how is the team looking? What kind of rotation are they running? And what do you think the team's chances of winning the Gold medal are?

Basic synopsis. Kidd is too old and is being saved for the medal rounds. D Will and C Paul are being put in the backcourt together. The team is somewhat short up front. Carmelo's post game will be needed as they advance. Prince and Boozer minutes have been limited. Lebron still trying to get healthy. Spain, Greece, and Argentina will present the most problems.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
New Jerseys

dmafbq.png

vwvksy.png

2yw7dki.png

500935.jpg

2sbq2c9.jpg

TimRock

BGOL Investor
Bucks send Williams to Cavaliers in three-team deal

Cleveland, Milwaukee and Oklahoma City have agreed in principle to a six-player trade that could add a much-needed second scorer to LeBron James' Cavaliers.

Mo Williams, the high-scoring point guard from Milwaukee, will go to Cleveland in the deal, which should be announced later Wednesday.

The 6-foot-1 Williams averaged 17.2 points and a team-high 6.3 assists for the Bucks last season.

Cleveland will send shooting guard Damon Jones to Milwaukee and forward Joe Smith to Oklahoma City.

Milwaukee also will get point guard Luke Ridnour and forward Adrian Griffin from Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma City, formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics, also gets Desmond Mason, the athletic small forward, from the Bucks.

Since joining the Cavaliers in 2003-04, James has not had a teammate who averaged as much as 17 points per game. But Williams has done so the past two seasons, averaging a career-high 17.3 points in his breakout season of 2006-2007.

The acquisition of Williams may spell the end of Delonte West's brief tenure in Cleveland. The Cavaliers have been embroiled in contract talks with West, a free agent who became their starting point guard after being traded from Seattle last February.

While Williams, 25, will definitely be Cleveland's starting point guard, a person close to the situation said the Cavaliers still will look to re-sign West, a 6-4 combo guard who could start beside Williams in the backcourt. Milwaukee and Oklahoma City view the trade largely as a salary dump.

The Bucks, who traded former lottery pick Yi Jianlian to New Jersey for Richard Jefferson earlier this summer, get rid of the five years, $43 million left on Williams' contract while taking on Jones and Griffin, both of whom are in the last year of their deals. Ridnour has just two years, $13 million remaining on his contract.

As for Oklahoma City's acquisitions, Smith and Mason also are in the final year of their deals.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3533552

TimRock

BGOL Investor
Pargo to play in Russia

BEIJING – New Orleans Hornets free agent guard Jannero Pargo, a valued sixth man, has reached an agreement in principle with Moscow Dynamo on a one-year contract worth about $4 million, sources close to the negotiations told Yahoo! Sports.

Some details still needed to be worked out Friday before the contract could be finalized, but sources said there were no hurdles left that should jeopardize the deal.

Once again, an American-born player with options in the NBA has chosen to take a more lucrative offer overseas. Pargo is the second NBA player to sign with Dynamo this summer, joining ex-New Jersey Nets forward Bostjan Nachbar. They’ll play for American-born coach, David Blatt, who was hired to take over the team.

Pargo, 28, had developed into a dangerous bench scorer for the Hornets and attracted the interest of several teams, including the San Antonio Spurs and Atlanta Hawks. New Orleans wanted to keep him – and Pargo’s preference was to stay – but the Hornets had invested too much available money in free agent James Posey to make a strong enough bid.

The lure of guaranteed money in Russia trumped the most serious bids made by the Spurs and Hawks.

Pargo averaged 8.1 points in 18.7 minutes in the regular season, but played well in the Hornets Western Conference playoff run. He had 30 points in a Western Conference playoff Game 3 against the Dallas Mavericks, and 18 points in Game 7 of the conference semifinals against the Spurs. He averaged more than 10 points a game in the postseason.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-pargo081508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Bucks send Williams to Cavaliers in three-team deal

so the bucks look like this right now:

andrew bogut
charlie villanueva
richard jefferson
michael redd
???

don't tell me damon jones or luke ridnour are getting the starting gig.

TimRock

BGOL Investor
so the bucks look like this right now:

andrew bogut
charlie villanueva
richard jefferson
michael redd
???

don't tell me damon jones or luke ridnour are getting the starting gig.

probably Luke. Unless they make another trade

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Sports in Brief: Report: Finley will re-sign with the Spurs

Compiled By The Inquirer Staff

Michael Finley, a 35-year-old guard-forward, is poised to re-sign with the San Antonio Spurs, ESPN.com reported last night,citing NBA sources.
Terms were not available, the report said.

With Manu Ginobili providing a spark for the Spurs off the bench, Finley started 61 games last season. He averaged 10.1 points, 3.1 rebounds and 1.4 assists playing in all 82 games in his 13th NBA season. He shot 37 percent from three-point range.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Shareef Abdur-Rahim retires.:eek:
2nh4311.jpg

For the last 18 months, the Kings forward had been unable to recover from two arthroscopic knee surgeries and was faced with the reality of retirement far sooner than he had anticipated. But after saying in July that his body would make the decision for him, the answer was not what he had hoped for.

"I've been in a situation where I've been trying to get healthy over the last year and a half," Abdur-Rahim said in a statement. "I came to grips with the fact that, health-wise, I won't be able to get back to the condition and level that is needed to play in the NBA. My right knee has become arthritic over the years and is to the point where it won't allow me to do the things and play at the level in which I'm accustomed to playing. As tough as it is to come to grips with, it's the reality."

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2008/9/22/619746/breaking-shareef-abdur-rah

TimRock

BGOL Investor
Report: Knicks prepare to waive Marbury by end of week

Stephon Marbury may be in shape physically to join the Knicks on the court, but the Knicks might finally be ready mentally to part ways with their chaotic point guard.

The Knicks are preparing to put Marbury on waivers by the end of the week, several sources with knowledge of the situation told Newsday. The team must await the go-ahead from Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan, however, because it would involve eating another large chunk of money in a buyout, Newsday reported.

Marbury is entering the final year of his contract, worth $21.9 million.

Once Marbury clears waivers and a buyout is agreed upon, he would be free to sign with any team. Reports in Newsday and the South Florida media have mentioned the Miami Heat, who are in need of a point guard, as having interest.

According to Newsday, Marbury has recovered from January's left ankle surgery, which was needed to remove bone spurs, and has worked out all summer in Southern California, trimming his weight to 200 pounds.

He did not join the other Knicks veterans for scrimmages at the team's training center until Monday, even though the informal workouts had been going on since last week.

Marbury's best performance statistically in 4½ seasons with the Knicks was in 2004-05, when he averaged 21.7 points and 8.1 assists a game. Since then, his numbers have declined, even as his feuding with his bosses and his teammates increased.

Marbury had numerous conflicts with former Knicks coaches Larry Brown and Isiah Thomas. The low point may have been in November 2007, when Marbury left without permission and returned to New York while the team was in Phoenix for a game.

The Knicks signed guard Anthony Roberson in July, a further indication that they were ready to jettison Marbury. Roberson played 36 career NBA games with Memphis and Golden State, but spent last season in Turkey and Israel. The Knicks signed him to a deal after he averaged 14.8 points in five games for their summer league team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3604025

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
I like this pickup. If healthy the Heat will have a nice backcourt. It also limits Marbury's options:

Heat Sign Livingston To A Two-Year Contract

Oct 03, 2008 5:45 PM EST

The Miami Heat have given former fourth overall selection Shaun Livingston a comeback shot, signing the former Clipper to a two year contract on Friday, the Associated Press is reporting.

Livingston severely injured his knee the last time he played an NBA game more than 19 months ago. With his career in jeopardy, the Chicago native has worked his way back, and the Heat believe that the signing could eventually become a steal.

"He has great size and feel for the game at his position," Heat Coach Erik Spoelstra said. "I've followed him for a few years. It's unfortunate, really, what happened, but we'd normally never be able to get a player of his talent at this time. He's very committed to getting healthy, and we have a great staff to help him get there."

"I think a lot of people will be surprised by how good he looks because of the injury he had," Heat guard Dwyane Wade said. "Of course, we all know he still has a ways to go. But I think for the future, I think it's going to be good. Give him time to get back in shape and time to get healthy and you've got a 6-7 point guard for the future at a very young age."

The signing puts the Heat over the luxury tax threshold, so it is highly probable that another deal will be coming soon to shed salary.

The Heat cut point guard Tre Kelley to make room on the 20-man training camp roster.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
On-again/off-again rumor

Tinsley to Nuggets? Possibly Monday
Pacers would get guard Atkins, center Hunter in the purported trade
By Mike Wells
Posted: October 4, 2008

Embattled point guard Jamaal Tinsley remained an Indiana Pacer on Friday, but there is a "strong possibility" he could be traded to the Denver Nuggets as early as Monday, a person familiar with the situation said.

A second person confirmed trade discussions were ongoing and said the Pacers will look for another partner if it falls through.
Advertisement

Both teams denied a report Friday morning that the deal already was done, pending Tinsley passing a physical. Nuggets coach George Karl told Denver reporters he laughed at the possibility.

"I don't think there's anything to it," Karl said.

"It's erroneous," Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien told ESPN.com. "Did Dewey beat Truman?"

Pacers president Larry Bird issued a statement through a team spokesman saying they're "not going to comment on trade rumors" involving their players.

The proposed deal would send point guard Chucky Atkins and center Steven Hunter to the Pacers. Both would have backup roles with the Pacers.

Atkins will make $3.2 million this season and $3.5 million next season, with $760,000 of it guaranteed. He is expected to be out until at least next month following right knee surgery last month. The 7-foot Hunter will make $3.9 million this season and $3.7 million next season. Tinsley will make $21.5 million over the next three seasons. The trade would benefit both teams. The Nuggets need a point guard, and the Pacers would save money, get two players with shorter contracts and, more important, end their relationship with Tinsley.

The trade, however, also would give the Pacers 17 players under contract, two more than the NBA allows. They would have to release or trade two players by the Oct. 27 deadline. They would have to release or trade another if Austin Croshere makes the team.

Tinsley's past three seasons have been marked by injuries limiting his availability and several off-court issues that negatively impacted the franchise. Coach Jim O'Brien lost confidence in Tinsley after last season, and the Pacers told him to stay away from the team while they pursued a trade.

"Unfortunately for Jamaal, some things happened off the court that basically led to this situation," said center Jeff Foster, who has been Tinsley's teammate since 2001. "I think it's best for both parties to go their separate ways, and I think he probably feels the same way. He's probably anxious for something to happen and start new somewhere."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Howard to sign one-year contract with Nuggets
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
Published October 2, 2008 at 12:01 p.m.

Nick Van Exel might be available.

Then there's Tariq Abdul-Wahad. And what about Junior Harrington?

The Nuggets' trend of bringing back players from earlier this decade has continued, with forward Juwan Howard prepared to sign a nonguaranteed contract and practice Friday.

The Nuggets brought back Chris Andersen during the offseason four years after he left Denver. They also have training-camp invitee Ruben Patterson, who finished 2005-06 in Denver.

Howard played the second half of 2001-02 with the Nuggets and all of 2002-03. He averaged 18.3 points in 105 games.

But this could be a much different Howard than the one seen before. After making $20 million in 2002-03, the 6-foot-9 Howard, 35, will sign a one-year, nonguaranteed deal for the $1.26 million minimum.

"I don't think we'd bring him in if we didn't think he had something left," Nuggets coach George Karl said of Howard, who averaged 1.1 points for Dallas last season in 50 games.

The Nuggets need all the help they can get in the post after the departures of Marcus Camby and Eduardo Najera. Center Nene, who Wednesday said the Nuggets need another post player with bulk, has no problems with the move.

"I love it," said Nene, who, along with Andersen, is one of two Nuggets players to have played with Howard during his previous Nuggets stint.

Forward Kenyon Martin also welcomed the expected signing, saying Howard has "proved he can play in the league."

It won't be easy for Howard, who has a 15.3-point average in 14 seasons, to make the roster. The Nuggets, who have 13 players with guaranteed deals and aren't certain about keeping more, also have NBA veterans Patterson, Smush Parker, Mateen Cleaves and Nick Fazekas on make-good deals battling for what they hope will be at least one spot available.

"(Howard's) a hell of a player," Karl said.

"He has a respect in our locker room already with some of the players who played with him when he was here. If I started tomorrow, I couldn't tell you who would be the (first big man off the bench)."

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
NBA Preseason TV Games

Sat, Oct 11 Denver Phoenix PRE 10:00 PM ET TNT --
Wed, Oct 15 Golden State Milwaukee PRE 8:00 AM ET ESPN --
Sat, Oct 18 Milwaukee Golden State PRE 11:30 PM ET ESPN --
Thu, Oct 23 Charlotte L.A. Lakers PRE 10:00 PM ET TNT --
Fri, Oct 24 Washington Cleveland PRE 4:00 PM ET ESPN --, CSN
Fri, Oct 24 Oklahoma City L.A. Lakers PRE 10:30 PM ET ESPN​

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Too bad, he had a decent pre-season:

[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/Tj4_p3I0KOc&hl=en&fs=1[/FLASH]

Ewing Jr. cut, Roberson kept as Knicks finalize roster

By Andrew Marchand
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: October 27, 2008, 8:25 PM ET

The New York Knicks reached the mandatory 15-man roster limit Monday at the expense of a Ewing.

Patrick Ewing Jr., who lit up Madison Square Garden in the Knicks' final preseason game Friday, was involved in the team's final roster move as the Knicks chose to keep shooting guard Anthony Roberson and cut Ewing.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh signed Roberson this summer to a one-year guaranteed contract for about $800,000. Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni was a big backer of the signing, even comparing Roberson to Eddie House, whom D'Antoni coached with the Phoenix Suns.

Roberson made only two field goals in 10 attempts in limited minutes in the preseason. Ewing's contract was only partially guaranteed for the league minimum of $430,000, although Walsh said money was not a factor in the Knicks' decision to cut him.

"In the immediate future, shooting could be a problem for this team," Walsh said.

D'Antoni had said the fact that Ewing's father is a Knicks legend could not be ignored, but it wouldn't factor into the decision. Patrick Ewing is a Hall of Fame center and the Knicks' all-time leader in scoring, rebounding, blocked shots and steals.

"I think he's a lot better than what I thought he was, and I think he has a chance to make the NBA," D'Antoni was quoted as saying in Monday's New York Times, before Ewing's release was announced. "I think he's got work to do. Would he help us on the floor this year? I don't know."

On Friday against the Nets, the 6-foot-8 Ewing scored seven points in nine fourth-quarter minutes to lead a near comeback and had the Garden crowd on its feet with two monster dunks.

"You want people who people like," Walsh said. "The bottom line is you have to do what is right for the franchise."

After much speculation this offseason, Stephon Marbury is also still a Knick. However, Marbury is not expected to be in the starting lineup. Chris Duhon will start at the point, with Jamal Crawford at shooting guard.

**EDIT-they are DESTROYING Knicks management over on ESPN.com..**

Last edited:

Bad News Brown

Potential Star
Registered
I wonder where Ewing is going to end up, because he WILL catch on with some team. Even though he's limited offensively, he hustles his ass off and he's extremely athletic.

The whole Knicks organization needs an overhaul, from the front office, on down to the roster. It's a fucking mess.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
I wonder where Ewing is going to end up, because he WILL catch on with some team. Even though he's limited offensively, he hustles his ass off and he's extremely athletic.

The whole Knicks organization needs an overhaul, from the front office, on down to the roster. It's a fucking mess.

The Knicks are hoping no one signs him in the next 3 days so he can go to their new D-League squad in Reno. Two squads that he could go to are the Bobcats and Jazz. (He also has an outside shot of going back to Sac-town.)

One of the big issues is that management said that there is no nepotism involved, but at the same time Gallanari was signed because D'Antoni played in Europe with his dad. I'm waiting to see what the NY Post and Daily News has to say about this in the morning.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Oh shit..Melo cut his HAIR?!?!

af719a8e-d42d-466b-be9c-de3353ff3204.jpg

b3678e4b-c90a-4f98-b9c8-55c8375ec264.jpg

Nuggets report: New 'do for Melo

Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony didn’t look the same Saturday night.

Not just on the court, but also walking into the Pepsi Center.

Anthony cut his famous cornrows and looked like a businessman with his short hair. He said he had cornrows for nine years, ever since he was a 10th grader in Baltimore.

“Time for a change,’’ said Anthony, who said he had a friend from Baltimore, who was in Denver visiting him, cut his hair.