NBA News

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Bucks hire Skiles

Scott Skiles has verbally accepted an offer from the Milwaukee Bucks to be their new head coach, the New York Post reported Monday, citing a league source.

Skiles, who was thought to be a candidate for the New York Knicks' vacancy, would replace Larry Krystkowiak in Milwaukee. The Bucks fired Krystkowiak on Thursday, one day after finishing 26-56 in his one full season as coach.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel characterized Skiles' hiring as imminent, saying the team and coach were making significant progress in contract negotiations. "The search is continuing. We're making progress and our goal, as stated before, is to react quickly," new Bucks general manager John Hammond told the newspaper Sunday, adding, "We will not discuss individual names of candidates at this time."

Hammond is attempting to mold the Bucks, one of the NBA's worst defensive teams, into a championship contender.

"The bottom line on this decision is that this is a results-driven league," Hammond said last week, when Krystkowiak's firing was announced. "Sometimes it comes down to wins and losses. Once again, the man that Larry was and the effort he put forth had little to do with the decision."

Skiles was fired by the Chicago Bulls last December after telling management he thought the team needed "a new voice." He was 165-172 during his time in Chicago, which began in November 2003 when he replaced Bill Cartwright.

The Bucks drafted Skiles in the first round of the 1986 draft, but he played only 13 games that season because of a neck injury. He played 10 seasons in the NBA.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3356713

Manu wins 6th Man Award

NEW YORK -- San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili won the NBA's Sixth Man Award, given to the best player in a reserve role, on Monday.

The 30-year-old Argentine received 615 out of a possible 620 points, including 123 of 124 first-place votes, from a panel of journalists.

A sixth man in 51 out of 74 games played this season, Ginobili led the Spurs in scoring with a career-high average of 19.5 points.

The six-year NBA veteran also averaged 4.8 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.47 steals.

Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa finished a distant second collecting 283 points followed by Jason Terry of the Dallas Mavericks with 44.

Players had to have come off the bench in more games than they started to be eligible for the award.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3356991

jimDigriz

wannabe star
Registered
Scott Skiles as an NBA coach is a joke. He was an average point guard and he is an average at best coach. There are better qualified coaches that are current assistants that would be better served as head coaches. Yelling and being disciplinarian are not substitutes for being qualified. Well, I guess they are in Milwaukee. Congrats on another five years of being irrelevant. Oscar Robertson, Lew Alcindor and Sidney Moncrief are not walking through that door by the way...:smh:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Scott Skiles as an NBA coach is a joke. He was an average point guard and he is an average at best coach. There are better qualified coaches that are current assistants that would be better served as head coaches. Yelling and being disciplinarian are not substitutes for being qualified.

there are some situations where coach skiles would be a good fit. a young team filled with greyhounds who have limited offensive skills, for example, might do OK under coach skiles.

but milwaukee is loaded with offense and NO real defense or rebounding.

veterans also don't respond well to coach skiles' style.

TimRock

BGOL Investor
NEW YORK -- Boston's Kevin Garnett won the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year Award on Tuesday. He beat out Denver's Marcus Camby and Houston's Shane Battier.

The 6-foot-11 forward led the Celtics with 9.2 rebounds per game. He added 18.8 points, 1.2 blocks and 1.4 steals.

Garnett helped the Celtics to league-best records of 66-16 (.805) overall and 31-10 (.738) on the road. Boston held opponents to just 90.3 points (second in the NBA) after allowing 99.2 points per game a season ago. The Celtics had the biggest one-year turnaround in NBA history.

Garnett received 493 points, including 90 first-place votes. Camby, who won the award last season, finished second with 178 points and Battier had 175 points.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3358966

Thanks Cran. Who do you think should have gotten it? Shane?

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Who do you think should have gotten it? Shane?

i don't think kevin garnett is a bad choice.

yes, i would've voted for shane battier because i like the work he does on mobile players. but DPOY typically focuses on big men, so it's not likely to happen. gary payton and michael jordan are the only 2 non-big men i can think of over the past 20 years to get DPOY.

with that in mind, i think a guy like dwight howard would've been a fair selection too. great defensive rebounder and shot blocker.

Last edited:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
shane would have been a good pick 2. he prolly was a strong second.

shane battier came in 3rd in voting, closely behind marcus camby.

the 124 voters (sports "journalists") gave 1 1st place vote to chris paul, and 1 1st place vote to tyson chandler.

the one thing that illustrates how STUPID these sports "journalists" are is the fact that NOT ONE gave tim duncan a 1st place vote. in light of the fact that tim duncan is consistently a leader (if not THE leader) in defensive win shares, not giving him a single vote for DPOY is a TRAVESTY.

bruce bowen on the other hand, got 7 1st place votes.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Report: Haywood Won't Be Suspended
April 22, 2008 - 6:30 pm
The Washington Post -
Brendan Haywood will not be suspended by the NBA for committing a flagrant foul on LeBron James during the third quarter of Washington's Game Two loss to Cleveland, according to a report in the Washington Post.

Haywood was hit with a flagrant 2 foul and ejected in the third period.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Van Gundy Off Knicks' List
April 22, 2008 - 7:08 pm
New York Post -
Donnie Walsh has announced that former Knick coach Jeff Van Gundy is now off the team's list of head coaching candidates after speaking to him today on the phone, the New York Post are reporting.

"(Jeff's) not going to be a candidate for the coaching job for his own personal reasons," Walsh said. "I have nothing but respect for Jeff."

With one of the team's targets, Scott Skiles, already off the market after taking a job in Milwaukee, the Knicks will interview Mark Jackson in the next few days.

Thank GOD...you'll have a job in the metropolitan Denver awaiting you in the next 2 weeks. :yes:

Last edited:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Chicago Has Contacted Mark Jackson
April 22, 2008 - 6:08 pm
The New York Daily News -
The Chicago Bulls have contacted Mark Jackson about their vacant coaching position, but it is not yet known as to whether he'll interview for the job, according to the New York Daily News.

New York's Donnie Walsh plans to meet with Jackson within the next week, and it is believed that Walsh could introduce the former point guard as the Knicks next coach within the next ten days.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Bibby Calls Boston Fans 'Bandwagon Jumpers'
April 22, 2008 - 6:26 pm
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution -
Mike Bibby may have lit a fire under the Celtics after calling Boston fans 'bandwagon jumpers', according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"They were kind of loud at the beginning," Bibby said. "But a lot of these fans are bandwagon jumpers trying to get on this now. I played here last year, too. And I didn't see three fourths of them. They're for the team now and they might get a little rowdy but that's about it."

When asked whether he felt the Celtics had fair-weather fans, who joined the party after adding Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, Bibby added, "You could say that. I remember them having bags on their heads [last year]. It's a different look. I guess that's what happens when you win."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Bynum Unlikely To Return This Season
April 22, 2008 - 10:44 am
The Los Angeles Daily News -
Phil Jackson admitted for the first time on Monday that chances are Andrew Bynum will not play again this season, according to the Los Angeles Daily News.

"I think without a doubt that Andrew would come off the bench, and we would play him a little bit off the bench if there was any chance that he could come back and play again, but it's such a remote thing," he said. "We're not seriously thinking about it."

Bynum has not played since January 13th

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Carter Undergoes Ankle Surgery
April 23, 2008 - 12:19 pm
Press Release -
New Jersey Nets guard Vince Carter underwent successful arthroscopic right ankle surgery today, Wednesday, April 23, 2008, Nets President Rod Thorn announced. The procedure, performed by Dr. Martin O'Malley at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan, included the removal of multiple loose bodies and a bone spur from the ankle, as well as a debridement of the ankle.

Carter will be on crutches for several weeks, after which time he will begin rehabilitation. He is expected to be fully recovered by the time the team begins training camp for the 2008-09 season.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Man who killed Sealy sentenced again for DWI
Associated Press

Updated: April 24, 2008, 5:27 PM EST

The drunken driver convicted in the 2000 death of Minnesota Timberwolves swingman Malik Sealy was sentenced Thursday to another eight years in prison on a separate drunken driving charge.
Souksangouane Phengsene of Minneapolis was charged with first-degree driving while impaired. He admitted he had been drinking beer before police pulled him over on March 30. Prosecutors say his blood alcohol level was 0.20 percent. That's 2.5 times the legal limit.

Hennepin County Judge Steven Pihlaja sentenced Phengsene to 54 months in prison for driving while impaired, and another 42 months for violating the terms of his probation on a previous conviction. The sentences will run consecutively, for a total of eight years.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
...you can HAVE him:

If Karl Is Fired Knicks Could Come Calling
April 25, 2008 - 4:10 pm
The New York Post -
There are rumors that if the Nuggets choose to fire coach George Karl that the Knicks could come calling, according to the New York Post.

Several years ago Karl claimed that he had always wanted to coach in New York, something that might become a possibility within the next few weeks.

There have been reports out of Denver that the team could fire Karl at the end of their season, especially if the Lakers complete a sweep of the Nuggets in their first round series.

"The longer you're with a team, the more people like you and the more people dislike you," Karl told the Rocky Mountain News. "I don't think it's worthwhile to pay attention to that; to de-energize me and waste my energy."

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man who killed Sealy sentenced again for DWI
Associated Press

Updated: April 24, 2008, 5:27 PM EST

The drunken driver convicted in the 2000 death of Minnesota Timberwolves swingman Malik Sealy was sentenced Thursday to another eight years in prison on a separate drunken driving charge.
Souksangouane Phengsene of Minneapolis was charged with first-degree driving while impaired. He admitted he had been drinking beer before police pulled him over on March 30. Prosecutors say his blood alcohol level was 0.20 percent. That's 2.5 times the legal limit.

Hennepin County Judge Steven Pihlaja sentenced Phengsene to 54 months in prison for driving while impaired, and another 42 months for violating the terms of his probation on a previous conviction. The sentences will run consecutively, for a total of eight years.

The bum shouldn't have gotten out of jail in the first place.

Do you know how long he got for the vehicular homicide on Malik?

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
The bum shouldn't have gotten out of jail in the first place.

Do you know how long he got for the vehicular homicide on Malik?

estateplanning.jpg

malik sealy was coming home from kevin garnett's birthday party at 4 a.m. and was in a head on collision with this dude. crazy instance of VERY WRONG place at the VERY WRONG time.

4 year sentence.

t1_phengsene_ap_01.jpg

in that pic he was 43. i think he's 52 now and this is his 4th DWI. here's what he looked like at 50:

images_sizedimage_291090140.jpg

Last edited:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
'A lot of antics' in series between Wizards and Cavaliers

p1.wizards.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) -- When LeBron James arrived for practice Friday, he spotted Gilbert Arenas in the hallway near the locker room. The two high-profile stars shared a hug while Arenas' father, standing nearby, gave James some good-natured banter about the ongoing series between Cleveland and Washington.

"Off the court, me and Gilbert are really, really good friends," James said. "I'm not going to let some trash talk get in the way of our friendship."

When the subject turned to DeShawn Stevenson, however, James struck a totally different tone.

"I don't know DeShawn Stevenson at all," James said.

James might not know Stevenson, but he certainly knows about him. As odd as it seems, the Cavaliers-Wizards first-round playoff series has evolved into a grudge match of sorts between one of the NBA's biggest stars and a role player who -- until now -- was arguably the least prominent starter on his own team.

Even a teenage rapper has been snared into the fray, which is how Soulja Boy ended up dancing by his front-row seat during the second half of Washington's 108-72 Game 3 victory Thursday night.

"It's a lot of antics going on," said Stevenson, who is quickly earning the title of Most Hated Man in Cleveland.

The first indication of bad blood between the two came March 13, when they jawed at each other during a game in Washington. After James missed a potential game-winning shot in the Wizards' 101-99 victory, Stevenson was more emotional than usual in the locker room. He managed to bite his tongue until he started to walk out the door, when he told a Washington Post reporter: "He's overrated, and you can say I said that."

LeBron? Overrated? He's been called lots of things, but that's nowhere near the top of the list. James' response came a few days later: "With DeShawn Stevenson, it is kind of funny. It's almost like Jay-Z saying something bad about Soulja Boy. There's no comparison. Enough said."

Translation: "DeShawn, you are not on my level." It's an attitude James has since maintained whenever Stevenson's name has been raised.

Then it was Stevenson's turn. He talked about inviting Soulja Boy to the playoffs if the Wizards faced the Cavaliers. He also said his beef with James stemmed from a personal matter, but he didn't elaborate.

"We don't need to talk bad about one another," Stevenson said. "So, that's how it happened. ... It goes back further than people think."

Unwittingly cast into the saga, Soulja Boy, whose real name is DeAndre Way, told the Plain Dealer in Cleveland that he felt disrespected by James' comments, so he was more than happy to show up Thursday night and do his little dance to his one big hit, Crank Dat.

There's more. When Stevenson makes a big shot, he often waves his hand in front of his face, a gesture he calls "can't feel my face" because he's so hot. He started doing it spontaneously last season, then quit for a while because some people thought the gesture was gang-related. Arenas talked him into bringing it back.

"Gilbert got on me, the fans loved it, and ever since then I've been doing it," Stevenson said.

Sure enough, when the Wizards were getting routed by 30 points in Game 2 on Monday, James and Cleveland's Damon Jones mockingly copied Stevenson's gesture.

Then, when Washington pounded Cleveland by 36 in Game 3, Stevenson not only did the gesture but added a nice little strut to go along with it as he scored a team-high 19 points.

Stevenson, therefore, doesn't buy it when James claims there is no "DeShawn-LeBron rivalry."

"Obviously there is," Stevenson said after Friday's practice. "If he's doing my move in Cleveland."

James, speaking a few minutes afterward, again was dismissive of such talk.

"There is no rivalry. Seriously," James said. "There'll never be a rivalry between me and DeShawn."

Now that the playoffs are well under way -- Cleveland takes a 2-1 lead into Sunday's Game 4 -- neither player wants to talk about the details of their tiff. Stevenson, though, took some satisfaction when the Verizon Center crowd chanted "Ov-er-rated!" at James during Thursday's game.

"It feels good. LeBron had his fans behind his back, and I had my fans behind my back," Stevenson said. "And that's what it's all about. Home-court advantage. And I think our fans did a great job."

James laughed at the chant, but great players have a way of coming back strong after such moments, so Game 4 could offer another dramatic chapter to the soap opera.

Then there will be Game 5 in Cleveland, where Stevenson can no longer walk the streets.

"I don't go out of my room when I'm in Cleveland." Stevenson said. "I've been one time, and the Foot Locker guy got mad at me. They're supposed to do that, though. He's the franchise of that team."

By the way, Stevenson said Soulja Boy probably won't return for Game 4, which sits just fine with Washington coach Eddie Jordan, who wants to get past the trash talking and concentrate on basketball.

"'Soldier Boy"' Jordan said, "should be a song back in the '60s. The Shirelles."

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
toronto or phoenix should draft him. :rolleyes:

Italy's Gallinari declares for NBA draft
Associated Press

Updated: April 25, 2008, 11:49 PM EST

Danilo Gallinari, the leading scorer in the Italian basketball league, declared for the NBA draft on Wednesday.

The 19-year-old Gallinari is averaging 17.5 points and 5.6 rebounds with Armani Jeans Milano. He's shooting 39.8 percent from 3-point range.

At 6-foot-9, Gallinari is hoping to be a top 15 pick. He plays guard or forward.

Also Wednesday, Gallinari won the Rising Star award in the Euroleague as the best player under 22.

The draft is scheduled for June 26 and Gallinari will have until June 16 to decide to stay in or not.

Gallinari is looks to become the third Italian selected in three years.

The Toronto Raptors took Andrea Bargnani with the top pick in 2006, and Marco Belinelli was chosen 18th by the Golden State Warriors last year.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Suns' Hill becomes first two-time recipient of Joe Dumars trophy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Grant Hill of the Phoenix Suns has won the Joe Dumars trophy for outstanding sportsmanship in the NBA, becoming the first player to earn the award twice.

Hill, a 12-year NBA veteran, also won the award in 2005 with Orlando. The award is determined by a vote of NBA players.

Hill has struggled with a nagging right groin injury in the first two games of the Suns' first-round series against the San Antonio Spurs. Coach Mike D'Antoni said at the Friday morning shootaround that Hill would not start but would play Friday night in Game 3.

Leandro Barbosa will take Hill's spot in the starting lineup.

The Dumars trophy is presented to the player who reflects the ideals of sportsmanship -- ethical behavior, fair play and integrity. Shane Battier of Houston finished second, followed by Brandon Roy of Portland.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
toronto or phoenix should draft him. :rolleyes:

Italy's Gallinari declares for NBA draft
Associated Press

Updated: April 25, 2008, 11:49 PM EST

Danilo Gallinari, the leading scorer in the Italian basketball league, declared for the NBA draft on Wednesday.

The 19-year-old Gallinari is averaging 17.5 points and 5.6 rebounds with Armani Jeans Milano. He's shooting 39.8 percent from 3-point range.

At 6-foot-9, Gallinari is hoping to be a top 15 pick. He plays guard or forward.

Also Wednesday, Gallinari won the Rising Star award in the Euroleague as the best player under 22.

The draft is scheduled for June 26 and Gallinari will have until June 16 to decide to stay in or not.

Gallinari is looks to become the third Italian selected in three years.

The Toronto Raptors took Andrea Bargnani with the top pick in 2006, and Marco Belinelli was chosen 18th by the Golden State Warriors last year.

Just fit that dude with a Spurs uniform and get it over with.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Ewing Wants To Interview With Walsh
April 27, 2008 - 9:29 am
Knick legend Patrick Ewing is 'bothered' by the lack of contact from new team executive Donnie Walsh, according to the New York Daily News.

He is looking for Walsh to bring him in for an interview involving the team's head coaching vacancy.

"No, no one's contacted me....It did (bother me), but I guess that's life," Ewing said during an interview with TNT. "I'm in a great situation here in Orlando working (as an assistant coach) with (Dwight Howard). If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. But yes, it did bother me."

"Obviously I played in New York, I know the area, I know the team, I know the fans, I know everybody," he added. "I know the media. So naturally I would love to interview."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Kenny Smith Enters Radar For Knick GM
April 27, 2008 - 6:57 am
New York Daily News -
Kenny Smith may make the jump from TNT analyst to the new GM of the New York Knicks , Frank Isola of the New York Daily News is reporting.

Smith is scheduled to interview this week with Knicks'President Donnie Walsh, according to a source.

Smith will be one of many candidates interviewed for the position currently held by Glen Grunwald, who was hired by Isiah Thomas

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
D'Antoni In Trouble In Phoenix?
April 27, 2008 - 7:03 am
East Valley Tribune -
With Phoenix sitting only one loss away from elimination and a first round sweep, there is belief of Mike D'Antoni not being back with the Suns next season, Mike Paulson of the East Valley Tribune is reporting.

Steve Nash, who is perhaps closest of all the Suns to D'Antoni, was asked about the speculation on Saturday.

"Mike’s been great. It’s been difficult to see him take heat," Nash said. "We all really share the blame equally. As a team we win together and lose together, so I don’t think it’s fair that he takes more than his share of the blame. We all have to take responsibility for where we are."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Pitino Has No Interest In The NBA
April 27, 2008 - 7:06 am
New York Post -
Even if Knick President Donnie Walsh comes calling, Rick Pitino said that he has no interest in returning to the NBA, writes Marc Berman of the New York Post.

"It's a young man's game," Pitino told The Post. "I'm 55 now. I take 15 hours now to prepare for one game. I don't know how I'd do that 90 times a year. I take my hat off to Pat Riley and Phil Jackson. I don't know how they do it."

DiamondDeuce

Support BGOL
Registered
Ewing Wants To Interview With Walsh
April 27, 2008 - 9:29 am
Knick legend Patrick Ewing is 'bothered' by the lack of contact from new team executive Donnie Walsh, according to the New York Daily News.

He is looking for Walsh to bring him in for an interview involving the team's head coaching vacancy.

"No, no one's contacted me....It did (bother me), but I guess that's life," Ewing said during an interview with TNT. "I'm in a great situation here in Orlando working (as an assistant coach) with (Dwight Howard). If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. But yes, it did bother me."

"Obviously I played in New York, I know the area, I know the team, I know the fans, I know everybody," he added. "I know the media. So naturally I would love to interview."

I got nothing but respect for EWING and his service with the Knicks. But he need to sit his azz down about this. He is not ready to be a HEAD COACH for the Knicks. Especially how after all the shit went down with Zeke..........this aint the job for PAT right now.

It would be cool if he were put on the COACHING STAFF though.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
While 'unlikely,' NBA to discuss possible changes to playoff format

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

After another season of great imbalance between teams in the West and East, NBA officials are pledging to consider changes to the playoff format -- ranging from small to radical -- that could be implemented in time for next season's playoffs.

But the most likely scenario, according to various league sources, is no change to the current format.

NBA commissioner David Stern echoed that view Friday night when speaking to reporters in Philadelphia before the 76ers played Detroit, saying: "Although I think it's unlikely anything will happen, I think we're going to explore it fully."

The current system sends the top eight teams in each conference to the postseason, which excluded Golden State in spite of the Warriors' 48-win season and has forced two 55-win title contenders -- San Antonio and Phoenix -- to meet in the first round out West.

The exploration will commence with the league office compiling a list of alternative formats and sending them to the NBA's competition committee, which will review the proposals at its next meeting May 27 during the annual pre-draft camp in Orlando.

Suggestions are expected to include re-seeding after each round of the playoffs as seen in other major professional team sports or even sending the teams with the best 16 records to the playoffs irrespective of conference.

If any proposal gets a strong endorsement from the competition committee, it will be forwarded to the league's Board of Governors for a vote at its next meeting in October. The league could also conduct a Board of Governors vote via e-mail before October if there is a consensus push to change the system starting next season.

As Stern indicated, however, any significant alteration would be a surprise.

Stern said during last season's playoffs that re-seeding is "very difficult when you have the television obligations that we have" because the league's TV partners (ESPN and TNT) would then be required "to wait for every series that can affect the re-seeding to be over." The commissioner has also said that he's comfortable with the idea of a lower seed inheriting the playoff path of a higher seed if it can win a seven-game series.

Opposition to sending the teams with the 16 best records to the playoffs is bound to be even more widespread. It's believed that the East's 15 teams, already chafing from years of ridicule thanks to the West's superior depth, would unite to fight such a switch. The current format enabled several sub-.500 teams this season -- such as Indiana, New Jersey and Chicago -- to stay in playoff contention well into April, giving them something to sell to their fan bases in spite of sub-par records.

Making overall record its primary playoff consideration would also likely force the league to change the format of its entire regular-season schedule. West teams would have a valid complaint if the 16-team playoff field was determined strictly by record and East teams retained the advantage of playing 52 games against other East teams and only 30 against West teams.

"My view is that we're going to look at all the stats and all the various permutations and combinations," Stern said Friday night. "We told the owners [at the Board of Governors meeting on April 18] that we're going to present all the options to the competition committee and see whether they want us to pass something along to the board in October.

"And if there is something [to] vote on," Stern continued, "we'd be prepared to make changes [to take effect] next season."

Calls for change have grown steadily louder in recent years, with the gap in depth between the conferences showing no signs of narrowing.

The gap widened to such a degree this season that only three teams in the East -- Boston, Detroit and Orlando -- had a higher win total than ninth-seeded Golden State in the West. The Warriors missed the playoffs despite going 48-34, as each of the West's top eight teams won at least 50 games, exceeding the previous league record of seven 50-win teams from one conference in 2000-01.

The East's four lowest seeds, meanwhile, won no more than 43 games, with Atlanta needing only a 37-45 record to halt the league's longest playoff drought at eight seasons.

As recently as late March, Stern sounded reluctant to consider tweaks, saying on a conference call with reporters: "No one asks [Major League Baseball commissioner] Bud Selig to change the playoff alignment because the National League is stronger than the American League in a given year. And they don't ask the NFL to change because a team in either conference makes the playoffs with an 8-8 or 9-7 record in a given year. So it's not something you respond to in a 60-year-old league on a five-year cycle."

But the West's status as a far stronger top-to-bottom conference has been a reality for much of the past two decades, masked by the fact that Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls won six championships in an eight-season span and the titles won by Detroit and Miami in 2004 and 2006.

Yet East supporters would inevitably counter that it did field the two teams with the top two regular-season records in Boston (66-16) and Detroit (59-23) and might house the closest thing to a consensus championship favorite in the Celtics.

As Stern said last May after No. 8 Golden State upset the 67-win Dallas Mavericks in the first round: "There's no change that we can make that makes everybody happy."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
I got nothing but respect for EWING and his service with the Knicks. But he need to sit his azz down about this. He is not ready to be a HEAD COACH for the Knicks. Especially how after all the shit went down with Zeke..........this aint the job for PAT right now.

It would be cool if he were put on the COACHING STAFF though.

With the job that Ewing does developing big men, he should get hired by Portland to work with Greg Oden. :yes:

TimRock

BGOL Investor
Report: Magic's Turkoglu to be named NBA's most improved player

Hedo Turkoglu didn't get the call for a mid-season honor when the Eastern Conference All-Star roster was announced this season. But the Orlando Magic forward did get the nod at the end of the year after he posted career highs in three separate offensive categories.

On Monday, Turkoglu will be named as the NBA's most improved player, according to a report in the Orlando Sentinel.

Turkoglu's 19.5 points, 5.7 rebounds and 5.0 assists were all career highs. He helped lead the Magic to a 52-30 record and the third seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Turkoglu is the fourth Magic player to earn the award following in the footsteps of Scott Skiles (1990-91), Darrell Armstrong (1998-99) and Tracy McGrady (2000-01