2018 CHICAGO BEARS Offseason Thread

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
12-4 and keeping Minnesota out of the playoffs. :dance:

You like that....you like that. :yes:

Goddamn Cousins is trash. 2nd stringers out there beating the shit out of Minnesota's line and WRs when they've got a playoff shot on the line.

2nd string DBs better than almost all of the starters during the last year of Lovie and the Trestman/Fox years.

He was acting like a bitch crying, when he was missing receivers

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
nagy fucked up. cost me money.
was no reason t risk players when rams were up 25 at half.
just glad we didnt get an injury out of that shit.

Goddamn Cousins is trash. 2nd stringers out there beating the shit out of Minnesota's line and WRs when they've got a playoff shot on the line.

2nd string DBs better than almost all of the starters during the last year of Lovie and the Trestman/Fox years.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
For the love of Jesus please beat the Eagles.
:please:

pAbQqV.jpg

Chitownheadbusa

♏|God|♏
BGOL Investor
Anyone nervous?
lol

Eagles players give hints like theyre not worried. Kinda subtle disrespect. Like most outsiders showed to our team prior to this season and even during the season

Gotta earn the respect....
Looking forward to Sunday

BearDown!!!!!!

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Anyone nervous?
lol

Eagles players give hints like theyre not worried. Kinda subtle disrespect. Like most outsiders showed to our team prior to this season and even during the season

Gotta earn the respect....
Looking forward to Sunday

BearDown!!!!!!

Iggles fans talkin mad shit on the bears msg board too. And mad TV talking heads picking the Iggles today :yawn:

BTW: Mack, Jackson, Fuller and Cohen made All-Pro 1st Team today :cheers:

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Just left the game and it was crazy hearing folks calling for Parkey’s head. Like, if dude doesn’t have protection tonight, he should just order in. There’s Bartman like anger outside Solider Field right now.

Bears didn’t play good enough to win a close game, bottom line.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just left the game and it was crazy hearing folks calling for Parkey’s head. Like, if dude doesn’t have protection tonight, he should just order in. There’s Bartman like anger outside Solider Field right now.

Bears didn’t play good enough to win a close game, bottom line.

I had a crazy feeling cody was gonna play a part in the game with a missed kick.

Damn shame yall got eliminated, i was rooting for yall to eliminate some other team, fucking love your defense and the vibe...reminds me of us last year...this game was my wife vs my nfc mistress.

On to new orleans...starting to get healthy and back in championship form at the right time

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
we lose fangio and are stuck with parkey.
fucking shame.

Honestly thought he would stay, but I can see why he left to finally try to be the Captain of his own ship before he retired. Worst part is Donatell is likely to go with him, so we lose the DC AND the DB coach who's done a tremendous job with that unit.

I hope somehow they get Donatell to stay (media is saying that the Bears are trying)..

Also I heard Parkey was on the Today Show :fuckyousay::fuckyousay:

Chitownheadbusa

♏|God|♏
BGOL Investor
For the record....Parky wouldve been perfect on the day had his ball didnt get tipped. We wouldve lost 16 to 6....if it werent for parky. I know dude fucked up a lot this year...but to make it "his fault" as for why we lost that game is silly.

The defense actually played decent....despite a few long plays being allowed early. It was our one dimensional offense that kicked us in the ass. I really don't understand how our offense can have so many great plays to run during the regular season, but then during the playoffs we just resort to throwing a lot of passes and neglecting the Run. The Eagles did a good job at clogging the lane. But during the regular season....when the lane is clogged....we used Cohen on side routes to open things up. What happened to that this pass sunday?

anyways.....looking forward to see who they hire as vic's replacement. We have the players to make a smooth transition. My main concern will be the tougher schedule we get next year.

We'll see!

BEARS!!!!!!!!

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
oh I knew he was out, mccaskeys never keep nyde of value around.worst owners in football, coupled with the fact vic knew, after wha he did this season he would be in demand. donatell is out too, the team gonna have to hold the team together next year.

Honestly thought he would stay, but I can see why he left to finally try to be the Captain of his own ship before he retired. Worst part is Donatell is likely to go with him, so we lose the DC AND the DB coach who's done a tremendous job with that unit.

I hope somehow they get Donatell to stay (media is saying that the Bears are trying)..

Also I heard Parkey was on the Today Show :fuckyousay::fuckyousay:

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
mitch threw for over 300 with 0 int, and a td.
under 50 is auto.
Gould would have never had that ball tipped.
parkey is ass

For the record....Parky wouldve been perfect on the day had his ball didnt get tipped. We wouldve lost 16 to 6....if it werent for parky. I know dude fucked up a lot this year...but to make it "his fault" as for why we lost that game is silly.

The defense actually played decent....despite a few long plays being allowed early. It was our one dimensional offense that kicked us in the ass. I really don't understand how our offense can have so many great plays to run during the regular season, but then during the playoffs we just resort to throwing a lot of passes and neglecting the Run. The Eagles did a good job at clogging the lane. But during the regular season....when the lane is clogged....we used Cohen on side routes to open things up. What happened to that this pass sunday?

anyways.....looking forward to see who they hire as vic's replacement. We have the players to make a smooth transition. My main concern will be the tougher schedule we get next year.

We'll see!

BEARS!!!!!!!!

Chitownheadbusa

♏|God|♏
BGOL Investor
Chuck Pagano aint on Vic Fangio level, but he's a good replacement, imho. He did a great job he did with the Ravens secondary (an area where we need the most improvement). And the colts front line actually played great under him, once they got quality players. So it will be interesting to see what Pagano can do with a stacked defense.

mitch threw for over 300 with 0 int, and a td.
under 50 is auto.
Gould would have never had that ball tipped.
parkey is ass

lol

We'll im not a field goal kicker....but i guess i see your point. Im sure he couldve kicked it HIGHER? but who knows. My point is it shouldnt have been that close to begin with. The Eagles werent playing great on offense. And their defense wasnt playing lights out either. A lot of their defensive stops came via us being SUPER predictable on offense. Which still shocks me....considering how creative and balanced we were prior to that playoff game. We basically turned one dimensional. live & learn, I hope.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Chuck Pagano aint on Vic Fangio level, but he's a good replacement, imho. He did a great job he did with the Ravens secondary (an area where we need the most improvement). And the colts front line actually played great under him, once they got quality players. So it will be interesting to see what Pagano can do with a stacked defense.

lol

We'll im not a field goal kicker....but i guess i see your point. Im sure he couldve kicked it HIGHER? but who knows. My point is it shouldnt have been that close to begin with. The Eagles werent playing great on offense. And their defense wasnt playing lights out either. A lot of their defensive stops came via us being SUPER predictable on offense. Which still shocks me....considering how creative and balanced we were prior to that playoff game. We basically turned one dimensional. live & learn, I hope.

I'm assuming donatell will now follow fangio to Denver, so we'll need a new DB coach as well. It'll be interesting to see who fills that position. Pagano is a DB coach by trade though so we should be good either way.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
Pagano is decent, we could have done a lot worse so I am good with the Bears decision to grab him.
We didnt go downfield the whole first half, Mitch was throwing the long ball and we were running more than usual.
Seems they deviated from a winning stratagy that got them to the playoffs.
Being a Cubs fan I am so used to maybe next year so I will just sit back and wait to see how we look next season.
Still wish we could get rid of Parkey tho.

lol

Chitownheadbusa

♏|God|♏
BGOL Investor
Mitch was throwing the long ball and we were running more than usual.
Seems they deviated from a winning stratagy that got them to the playoffs.

Kept going inside with Howard, and it wasnt working. yeah.....winning strategy was mixing it up with Howard and Cohen...but that didnt happen.
I dont see the Packers making a HUGE leap next year. Nor the Vikings or Lions. So the conference should still be tight like it was this year. We'll see.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL Gold Member
Parkey had the best conditions probably in the history of Chicago January and couldn’t make the final kick; fans at leas5 we’re dealing with weather and field conditions.

https://sports.yahoo.com/100-chicag...parkeys-kick-hilariously-wrong-211224610.html

100 Chicagoans thought they could make Cody Parkey's kick. They were hilariously wrong
115228021c0ad55ce3fc0931f261ec4e

(Henry Bushnell/Yahoo Sports)

And they were wrong. Very wrong.

“A 43-yard field goal, we really do believe, is much more difficult than the armchair kickers think it is,” Goose Island president Todd Ahsmann told Yahoo Sports on Friday.

He, on the other hand, was very right.

At least 100 tried. Fighting snow and a headwind, every single one failed. And many did so in hilarious fashion.

Media members – including this one – tried as well, and suffered a similar fate:

Some had the accuracy, but nowhere near the distance. Many more failed to clear a fence designed to simulate an NFL defensive line. At least a dozen barely got the ball off the ground. Several met the ground themselves, having slipped on the slick turf mat, a lesson learned in the most embarrassing fashion: A field goal is much harder than it looks from a couch.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL Gold Member

lol

https://theloopsports.com/2019/01/12/why-the-bears-made-the-right-hire-in-chuck-pagano/

Why the Bears made the right hire in Chuck Pagano
EAF3D2FC-2536-402E-BA43-D561FA7DE498.jpeg

The Bears’ defensive coordinator spot was the most highly coveted coordinator position in the NFL. Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy had plenty of options, and none were better than who they hired: Chuck Pagano. It may not have been the sexy choice that Rex Ryan may have been, but it was the right hire.

Let’s look at the history of Chuck Pagano. I’m going to go all the way back to 1995 when he was hired to be the defensive backs coach and special teams coach at Miami under Butch Davis. This is where Pagano really started to make a name for himself.

Pagano coached defensive backs for the Hurricanes for five years. He taught Duane Starks, Mike Rumph, Phillip Buchanon, and the great Ed Reedduring that time, all of whom ended up being first-round draft picks.

Miami may not have been at its peak when Pagano was there, as he decided to follow coach Davis when he became the head coach for the Cleveland Browns, but he left his mark. The year after he left, the team went to the National Championship, and the defensive backs were one of the best units on that team, for which Pagano earned much credit.

As was mentioned earlier, Pagano moved on to be the secondary coach of the Cleveland Browns under Butch Davis. He helped develop a great secondary in his time there. The year before Pagano came to Cleveland, the Browns had a total of 12 interceptions, with eight of those coming from the defensive backs. In 2001, Pagano’s first season in Cleveland, the Browns had 33 interceptions – 28 of them from his secondary.

In his second season in Cleveland, the Browns went to the playoffs. They haven’t been back since.

His time in Cleveland was a success, but when Butch Davis was let go in the middle of the 2004 season, Pagano got a defensive backs coach job with the Oakland Raiders. Just like in his previous stops, Pagano was successful coaching the secondary. In 2005, however, the Raiders’ defense did not get the turnovers that usually come with Pagano, as they had a league-worst five interceptions that season.

The Pagano effect came next season, as the Raiders gave up only 2413 passing yards that entire season, the lowest amount allowed in a season this century (!!!). The Raiders team as a whole was, unfortunately, terrible. The offense on the Raiders was historically bad, causing everyone to brush over this historic stat.

The biggest impact that Chuck Pagano had was not what he did with that 2006 defense, but it was the development of Nnamdi Asomugha. Asomugha had not started a full season before Pagano came to Oakland, but that changed when Pagano became his coach.

Asomugha’s second year as a starter is when he broke out, as he had eight interceptions that year, and developed into one of the most dangerous cornerbacks in the NFL. Teams avoided throwing the ball anywhere near him because they knew that it was a bad idea to even try.

Pagano left Oakland and went and rejoined Butch Davis, but this time as a defensive coordinator for North Carolina. This was the first time he had a defensive coordinator gig since 1991 with UNLV. This stint did not last long, as he left after only one season.

After that season, Pagano got the opportunity to coach his former player at Miami again in Ed Reed as the coach of the secondary in Baltimore. He joined a great staff, which included the now-former Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio as the linebackers coach at the time. Again, Pagano came in and made an impact on the secondary, as the Ravens’ defense led the NFL in interceptions with 26 that season.

The Ravens clearly saw the whole body of work that Pagano had, and they made him their defensive coordinator in 2011 after the departure of Greg Mattison. This was the first and only year of Chuck Pagano as an NFL defensive coordinator, and he made the most of it.

As I have mentioned before, whatever group that Pagano has coached, that group improved, and the same thing happened to Pagano when he took over the entire defense, as the whole team saw an improvement. Let’s look at some of the key improvements with the whole team that year.

The Ravens’ defense was tied for third-worst in sacks in 2010 with only 27 the year before Pagano took over as defensive coordinator. The very next season, they flipped the script and had the third-most sacks with 47. The Ravens’ secondary got a slight bump, but nothing crazy, but that’s not that big of a surprise because he coached the secondary exceptionally in the previous year.

The Ravens’ defense as a whole saw an increase in performance, as when you look at the DVOA from 2010 to 2011, the Ravens went from sixth to first in the NFL. In one season, Chuck Pagano turned a good defense into a great defense.

Individually, the player that saw the biggest impact under Chuck Pagano was Terrell Suggs. Suggs was a great player before Pagano became the defensive coordinator, but Suggs became one of the best in the NFL under Pagano. In 2011, Suggs was a first team all-pro and the NFL Defensive Player of the Year for the first and only time of his career. Suggs ended his all-pro season with career-highs of 14 sacks and 7 forced fumbles.

After so many successful seasons as a football coach, the Indianapolis Colts were the team to give Chuck Pagano his first shot as an NFL head coach in 2012. Unfortunately, he had a rougher start than any coach could have. After waiting so many years to get his shot, Pagano was diagnosed with Leukemia in the middle of his first season as the Colts coach. The story of Pagano overcoming cancer is incredible, and you can read about that here.

Chuck Pagano had a rollercoaster of a ride as the coach of the Colts, but Bears fans can look at his time with them as a positive. His team made the playoffs the first three years as the head coach of the Colts, but it was downhill from there.

In the 2015 and 2016 seasons, the Colts went 8-8. In his final year as the head coach, Pagano was given a roster that had holes and was missing its starting quarterback in Andrew Luck. It would have been tough for any coach to have success with that team, but Pagano was fired after a 4-12 season, his only losing season as a head coach. Pagano’s final record as a head coach is 56-46.

The stats for the latter part of Chuck Pagano’s time as a head coach were not strong, but that is not all on him. It is hard to succeed when your quarterback isn’t healthy and the rest of the team does not have a ton of talent – comes down to the GM.

Pagano did not get a fair shake in Indianapolis, but he did have some very successful teams and created some very successful defensive players. Robert Mathis saw a huge improvement in his first season with Pagano present for the entire season. Mathis had career highs of 19.5 sacks and 10 forced fumbles that season, leading the NFL in both.

When looking at Pagano as a defensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears, it seems as though he will become a perfect fit for the Bears’ great defense. They will not have to make a switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in the Pagano system, which is a huge plus for the team.

What I really like about the Pagano system is the mixture of disguised coverages and a more agressive blitz attack. The Pagano system changes things up a lot, causing teams to make mistakes. It displays much more aggressiveness than Vic Fangio’s did, which I believe was one of the flaws with the Fangio system. This Bears defense could be even scarier if the Bears really start trying to get after the quarterback more.

This is why Bears fans should be so excited for Chuck Pagano. Terrelle Suggs and Robert Mathis were great players, but when Pagano put them in his system, they went off and became some of the most dangerous men in football. Pagano did this with two great pass rushers, now imagine what he can do with the best edge rusher in the NFL in Khalil Mack.

I think all members of the Bears defense could see improvement, as the stats seem clear that his players do so in all areas on the field. Fans should get especially excited for the Bears’ secondary, as all the teams that he was with saw better play from defensive backs. Chuck Pagano could make Eddie Jacksonundoubtedly the best safety in football, and Kyle Fuller could take the next step and become an elite cornerback.

Basically, under Pagano, great players have become elite, and elite players become the best of the best. The Bears already have some elite players, so Bears fans should really look forward to what he can do with the talent that is already here.

Change is scary when your team loses such a key contributor on such a successful team, but the Bears found a replacement that should give the same or even better results than the previous coach.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
a professional athlete that has trained for 20 + years is not a a comparison to a random guy off the street that has never played a game in his life. I get the premise but put any other kicker in the league on that mock up field and show me the stats.
Parkey is terrible, bro.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL Gold Member
a professional athlete that has trained for 20 + years is not a a comparison to a random guy off the street that has never played a game in his life. I get the premise but put any other kicker in the league on that mock up field and show me the stats.
Parkey is terrible, bro.

I’m not defending him; matter of fact, I’m saying the fans had to at least deal with weather and field conditions for these misssd kicks; Parkey’s bum ass had ideal outdoor Chicago January weather and conditions yet fucked off the kick. :angry:

He’s a trained pro as you stated.

We agree that he’s trash.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
indeed

I’m not defending him; matter of fact, I’m saying the fans had to at least deal with weather and field conditions for these misssd kicks; Parkey’s bum ass had ideal outdoor Chicago January weather and conditions yet fucked off the kick. :angry:

He’s a trained pro as you stated.

We agree that he’s trash.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I was watching the Chargers game earlier, and thinking I'd rather lose like we did than how they did. That game was over in the second quarter.

We had a lot of positivity this year and have a lot to build on and we have a young team.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL Gold Member
Glad they didn’t drag this shit out.

$3.5M to do nothing (Id be shocked if he’s signed for next season but then again, I was shocked at some of the bums who got jobs while Kap sat at home so, who knows?). Damn near $9M to be on day of the worst at his job. White privilege like a motherfucker.