Mayweather vs. Mosley-Who Wins?

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I agree, but we don't know all the facts. If they thought he was intending to do it, then he would have a life ban. At least that is how I see it.

I find it very hard to believe that he didnt know what was going on with his handwraps. We dont know for sure... but how could he not know an outside agent was being applied to his wraps :confused::confused:

I get what you are saying because we cant prove it... but damn...he could have killed someone in the ring or given someone serious brain damage... they already put themselves at risk.... boxers are deadly with their hands...but with the plaster...smh...if not a lifetime ban...he should not be allowed to fight anywhere this quickly...

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
what event happened to make you not have confidence in them?

I lost confidence in them slowly with the lax way boxing is conducted. The Mayweather-Pacquiao PED thing highlighted, to me, the problem of why haven't they instituted it long ago. Fuck the two fighters, it makes boxing look like baseball in the 90s.

But when I think hard, the one thing that made me go "these niggas are crooked as fuck" was watching Erik Morales tremble on the scale at his weigh-in for the third Pacquiao fight. I didn't think he should have been allowed to fight. He was clearly not in condition. But it sold seats and suites, so fight on fools.

merce77

Star
Registered
I lost confidence in them slowly with the lax way boxing is conducted. The Mayweather-Pacquiao PED thing highlighted, to me, the problem of why haven't they instituted it long ago. Fuck the two fighters, it makes boxing look like baseball in the 90s.

But when I think hard, the one thing that made me go "these niggas are crooked as fuck" was watching Erik Morales tremble on the scale at his weigh-in for the third Pacquiao fight. I didn't think he should have been allowed to fight. He was clearly not in condition. But it sold seats and suites, so fight on fools.

I agree totally, you know as bad as I smash May, I have smashed Roach and Pac just as hard, and that's a prime example. Roach knew the type of problems a fresh Erik would have been for Pac. It might've been worse than the first fight since Erik had already solved that puzzle once before. I honestly believe both the 2nd and 3rd fights would have turned out a bit different had Morales not been made to come down to a weight he couldn't make anymore. That fight effectively ended Erik's career though he fought again. Excellent point Upgrade.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Well, I have no argument or problem with what you wrote in read. I agree with that. I don't agree with you when you say things like Floyd and Pac are the same size, that Marquez's effectivity at welter wasn't off in part because of him fighting at a weight not natural for him, and that a 7 pound difference in boxing doesn't matter. You didn't really address those issues.

Anyway, regarding walk around weight, it's such an intangible that there's no way you can say that a guy walks around at X amount of weight and should therefore be able to fight at X weight class. There are guys at 130 pounds that balloon up to 180lbs. There are welters that walk around at 180lbs. Fernando Vargas used to walk around at 190 to 200lbs while Bernard Hopkins was at around 183 between fights. There's no rule regarding the walk around weight issue as a fighter's walk around weight depends on their discipline and not necessarily their ability to fight in a certain weight class.

Weight should not affect anyone’s skills.
Marquez and weight. Marquez wasn’t slower than he normally fights against Floyd. Floyd would have been faster at 135 or 140. If strength might have been an issue… I don’t know Marquez barely hit Floyd and Marquez generally get’s dropped on tough fights but I haven’t seen him hurt even with Floyd tagging the nigga up. Marquez didn’t looked winded to me. Marquez just fought a dumb fight as an aggressor against a faster counterpuncher. Can you explain what you saw that may you think the 7lbs affected his performance?

Hatton on the other hand is a different issue. I would actually believe that Manny/Mayweather/Marquez had a tougher issue by bringing their weight up to a weight that their bodies had never been at. Hatton had to trim down to 147 anyway to go from 180 to 140. His body should be used to it anyway. Hatton’s problem at welter is because he isn’t shit. He didn’t look slower or weaker. He did look winded against Floyd but I think it has more to do with getting completely out of shape between fights. If you don’t want to give Floyd credit fine but at least give Collazo credit for being the better boxer that got robbed.

The walking around weight thing is just as I explained with Hatton. Usually a bigger guy wants to have a power advantage by dehydrating into those smaller weights. These niggas weight in at 147 and fight at 160. Mayweather and Manny fight in the 144-150 range and that’s why I said they are closest in weight at welter. Watch Clottey will be 168 and Manny will be 146 on fight night… Mays will be 149 and Mosley will be in the 155-160 range…

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Also Zef you do realize B-Hop is a perfect example of what I'm talking about right. Hopkins fought at Middle and was able to fight a damn near perfect fight at Light Heavy.

merce77

Star
Registered
Weight should not affect anyone’s skills.
Marquez and weight. Marquez wasn’t slower than he normally fights against Floyd.
Floyd would have been faster at 135 or 140. If strength might have been an issue… I don’t know Marquez barely hit Floyd and Marquez generally get’s dropped on tough fights but I haven’t seen him hurt even with Floyd tagging the nigga up. Marquez didn’t looked winded to me. Marquez just fought a dumb fight as an aggressor against a faster counterpuncher. Can you explain what you saw that may you think the 7lbs affected his performance?

Hatton on the other hand is a different issue. I would actually believe that Manny/Mayweather/Marquez had a tougher issue by bringing their weight up to a weight that their bodies had never been at. Hatton had to trim down to 147 anyway to go from 180 to 140. His body should be used to it anyway. Hatton’s problem at welter is because he isn’t shit. He didn’t look slower or weaker. He did look winded against Floyd but I think it has more to do with getting completely out of shape between fights. If you don’t want to give Floyd credit fine but at least give Collazo credit for being the better boxer that got robbed.

The walking around weight thing is just as I explained with Hatton. Usually a bigger guy wants to have a power advantage by dehydrating into those smaller weights. These niggas weight in at 147 and fight at 160. Mayweather and Manny fight in the 144-150 range and that’s why I said they are closest in weight at welter. Watch Clottey will be 168 and Manny will be 146 on fight night… Mays will be 149 and Mosley will be in the 155-160 range…

That's not true at all, I fought in the PAL during my teens and I can tell you that what you're saying is not true at all. The weight totally affected Marquez.
What you're essentially saying is that Floyd dropping down to 135 would've been alot faster but Marquez putting on 12 lbs didn't make him alot slower. Makes no sense. The more you train, the more weight you take off, to keep the extra weight, you have to eat more and train less, and going up twelve pounds definitely fucks with your metabolism. You have less energy than normal and generally feel and look more sluggish than the other fighter. He didn't put on alot of muscle mass, his body just won't allow it, the extra weight was fat and water. Going up one weight class and winning a title is hard enuff, but to go up 2 in one fight against a guy like Floyd and expect to be at your best?
I've always been a tall (6'3")dude but when I started training, I ended up shedding so much weight that I felt most comfortable at around 165. Got a little bit lazy one summer and ended up at 186, i didn't get soft or anything because I did my cali's, but i tried to jump right back in to sparring and believe me, you feel the difference. That's where the term "optimum weight" applies to a fighter. Floyd's right now is between 147-150. But just look at the youtube video of a fat Floyd (around 160-165) sparring with Paul Spadafora. Even with all Floyd's skills, he made Spadafora look like a top 5 p4p fighter because he was slow and couldn't move his legs like he wanted to so he was always out of position to throw his counters and had to spend the session trying to brawl on the inside and was getting caught coming in since it's not natural for Floyd to be the aggressor. Same thing happened to Marquez who is by nature, not an agressive fighter, but a calculating counter puncher like Floyd. He was out of his element outside his optimum weight.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
What does juice have to do with it? Mosley's worst performances came when he was on the juice. Mayweather may win, but I find it hard to see him beating Mosley.

Damn, I thought I was the only one that felt this way. I'm shocked. But yeah, when you get past the myths and what PED's are "supposed" to do, the guys that get caught on PED's usually looked like shit in the ring.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
That's not true at all, I fought in the PAL during my teens and I can tell you that what you're saying is not true at all. The weight totally affected Marquez.
What you're essentially saying is that Floyd dropping down to 135 would've been alot faster but Marquez putting on 12 lbs didn't make him alot slower. Makes no sense. The more you train, the more weight you take off, to keep the extra weight, you have to eat more and train less, and going up twelve pounds definitely fucks with your metabolism. You have less energy than normal and generally feel and look more sluggish than the other fighter. He didn't put on alot of muscle mass, his body just won't allow it, the extra weight was fat and water. Going up one weight class and winning a title is hard enuff, but to go up 2 in one fight against a guy like Floyd and expect to be at your best?
I've always been a tall (6'3")dude but when I started training, I ended up shedding so much weight that I felt most comfortable at around 165. Got a little bit lazy one summer and ended up at 186, i didn't get soft or anything because I did my cali's, but i tried to jump right back in to sparring and believe me, you feel the difference. That's where the term "optimum weight" applies to a fighter. Floyd's right now is between 147-150. But just look at the youtube video of a fat Floyd (around 160-165) sparring with Paul Spadafora. Even with all Floyd's skills, he made Spadafora look like a top 5 p4p fighter because he was slow and couldn't move his legs like he wanted to so he was always out of position to throw his counters and had to spend the session trying to brawl on the inside and was getting caught coming in since it's not natural for Floyd to be the aggressor. Same thing happened to Marquez who is by nature, not an agressive fighter, but a calculating counter puncher like Floyd. He was out of his element outside his optimum weight.

C/S. If you've never done it, you just don't know. That's why I was questioning whether our friend had ever competed. But hey, maybe he did and just had a very singular experience. Most everyone I know or have heard about has had the same experience as you regarding weight and so did I when I competed both in amateur boxing and also karate. Outside of trash talk, I have never heard a boxer/fighter claim that weight doesn't matter.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Of course weight matters but I think the original point of Ricky Hatton having an easier time getting down to 147 than 140 was valid. Some guys don't perform as well at higher weight classes (Shane Mosley being the best example)but that's not what Ricky's problem was at welter. He fought guys who were far more agile and much faster at welter and he was shown not to be as great as he and HBO wanted to present him to be. Once you made him box, he was dead.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I agree totally, you know as bad as I smash May, I have smashed Roach and Pac just as hard, and that's a prime example. Roach knew the type of problems a fresh Erik would have been for Pac. It might've been worse than the first fight since Erik had already solved that puzzle once before. I honestly believe both the 2nd and 3rd fights would have turned out a bit different had Morales not been made to come down to a weight he couldn't make anymore. That fight effectively ended Erik's career though he fought again. Excellent point Upgrade.

Thanks. I try to get one in every now and then.:D

The difference between the first fight and the subsequent fights was Erik's conditioning. In the first one, when Manny picked up the pace, Erik was able to match and surpass him. He lacked that extra gear in the 2nd and 3rd fights because he left so much in training.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Of course weight matters but I think the original point of Ricky Hatton having an easier time getting down to 147 than 140 was valid. Some guys don't perform as well at higher weight classes (Shane Mosley being the best example)but that's not what Ricky's problem was at welter. He fought guys who were far more agile and much faster at welter and he was shown not to be as great as he and HBO wanted to present him to be. Once you made him box, he was dead.

I think it is logical that it was easier for Hatton to make 147 instead of 140 because of course that's less weight that he has to lose. That doesn't mean Hatton is a natural 147 pounder or that 147 is his best fighting weight. Just like when Fernando Vargas fought Mayorga at 168lbs. It's not that 168 was Vargas' best fight weight, it was just an easier weight for him to make because he got so fat between fights.

merce77

Star
Registered
I think it is logical that it was easier for Hatton to make 147 instead of 140 because of course that's less weight that he has to lose. That doesn't mean Hatton is a natural 147 pounder or that 147 is his best fighting weight. Just like when Fernando Vargas fought Mayorga at 168lbs. It's not that 168 was Vargas' best fight weight, it was just an easier weight for him to make because he got so fat between fights.

I agree with you there, and I wasn't disagreeing with the part about Hatton, just the Marquez part. Hatton was overrated from the word go. Collazo exposed that dude. Which is why I was like :smh:
when Floyd fought him, but that was all about the Benjis.

merce77

Star
Registered
Mayweather vs. Mosley?: Don't Count Your Chickens Before the Match

Could it be true? Could Floyd Mayweather Jr. actually be setting the stage to take on a legitimate, top-notch welterweight?

Following the highly controversial and now infamous fallout of the Pacquiao-Mayweather fiasco, Floyd has inadvertently managed to negotiate himself into an especially awkward position.

Tickets are selling at record pace as Pacquiao prepares to tangle with the tough, capable, and ready Joshua Clottey on March 13 in Dallas.

As it turns out, the phrase “Mega-Fight” is still a legitimate term to describe Pacquiao’s next bout, even despite the fact that the name “Mayweather” is absent from the title.

Meanwhile Mayweather and Golden Boy Promotions have been scrambling to find an opponent who is worthy enough to hush the critics who say that Floyd has been ducking the most viable opponents for a fighter of his caliber.

At first it was reported that Mayweather would keep his March 13 appointment at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas—setting up a head-to-head pay per view battle against his arch-nemesis, Manny Pacquiao.

Matthew Hatton and Paulie Malignaggi were both mentioned early on. Neither would have generated much interest.

No disrespect to the afore mentioned boxers, but had either of the two been chosen, the result would have been nothing more than another exhibition match allowing Mayweather the opportunity to showcase his superiority over another severely outclassed opponent.

The glory of Mayweather—Marquez faded quickly.

Boxing fans who understand and appreciate Mayweather's talent level were quick to clarify their lack of interest in another grossly mismatched contest.

Interestingly, another name that came up was that of undefeated, 19 year old Mexican fighter, Saul Alvarez. That must have been a joke, right?

Not according to Alvarez.

While Golden Boy’s CEO Richard Schaefer denied that Alvarez was ever seriously considered, Alvarez went on record stating otherwise.

"Richard Schaefer offered that fight to my coach.” Alvarez said. “I believe that it is a difficult commitment, but I truly felt that I wouldn't have anything to lose. Mayweather is a difficult opponent and one must be in the proper form to beat him."

Although Alvarez was eager to take the fight, his team wisely declined the offer.
:smh:

Currently, Mayweather and Golden Boy are in negotiations with Shane Mosley for a possible May 1 battle.

According to Michael Marley of The Examiner , both camps say that the negotiations are progressing very well.

When referring to the talks between Team Mayweather and Team Mosley, both camps seem to have agreed upon “cordial” as the adjective of choice.

On Tuesday evening, Oscar De La Hoya said:

"Is that fight going to happen? I'm confident it will."

If Mayweather wants to continue to be a big draw, he needs to fight an opponent who can give him a run for his money .

Shane Mosley can do just that. Although he definitely won’t be the betting favorite going into the fight, he certainly won’t be a pushover.

At 39 years of age and a record of 46-5 with 39 knockouts, Mosley is currently ranked as the No. 3 pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

It’s a rare time in boxing—a time when the top three pound-for-pound ring-kings happen to be in the same weight class. That’s a fact that all parties involved need to capitalize upon.

If the “cordial” negotiations result in an actual fight, Mayweather will gain back a measure of respect as a boxer—even if his inherent lack of people skills never wins him any popularity contests with the general public.

Mayweather vs. Mosley could be a great fight if it happens, and everyone would like to see the winner take on the winner of Pacquiao vs. Clottey. But fans should be advised to wait for the official announcement before getting too excited.

Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

Anything could [not] happen [again] at this point.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
True on all points.
Mayorga. That was another guy who I thought was entertaining but should have never been presented like a top fighter.

I agree with you there, and I wasn't disagreeing with the part about Hatton, just the Marquez part. Hatton was overrated from the word go. Collazo exposed that dude. Which is why I was like :smh:
when Floyd fought him, but that was all about the Benjis.

Hell yeah, it all about money with that fight. But somebody was going to cash that check and get Hatton's 0. If it wasn't Floyd, it would have been Pacquiao or Cotto or maybe Shane. After he beat a shot Castillo, HBO went back to pushing him like he and Mayweather (or any other elite fighter) could be mentioned in the same breath.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Mayweather vs. Mosley?: Don't Count Your Chickens Before the Match

Could it be true? Could Floyd Mayweather Jr. actually be setting the stage to take on a legitimate, top-notch welterweight?

Following the highly controversial and now infamous fallout of the Pacquiao-Mayweather fiasco, Floyd has inadvertently managed to negotiate himself into an especially awkward position.

Tickets are selling at record pace as Pacquiao prepares to tangle with the tough, capable, and ready Joshua Clottey on March 13 in Dallas.

As it turns out, the phrase “Mega-Fight” is still a legitimate term to describe Pacquiao’s next bout, even despite the fact that the name “Mayweather” is absent from the title.

Meanwhile Mayweather and Golden Boy Promotions have been scrambling to find an opponent who is worthy enough to hush the critics who say that Floyd has been ducking the most viable opponents for a fighter of his caliber.

At first it was reported that Mayweather would keep his March 13 appointment at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas—setting up a head-to-head pay per view battle against his arch-nemesis, Manny Pacquiao.

Matthew Hatton and Paulie Malignaggi were both mentioned early on. Neither would have generated much interest.

No disrespect to the afore mentioned boxers, but had either of the two been chosen, the result would have been nothing more than another exhibition match allowing Mayweather the opportunity to showcase his superiority over another severely outclassed opponent.

The glory of Mayweather—Marquez faded quickly.

Boxing fans who understand and appreciate Mayweather's talent level were quick to clarify their lack of interest in another grossly mismatched contest.

Interestingly, another name that came up was that of undefeated, 19 year old Mexican fighter, Saul Alvarez. That must have been a joke, right?

Not according to Alvarez.

While Golden Boy’s CEO Richard Schaefer denied that Alvarez was ever seriously considered, Alvarez went on record stating otherwise.

"Richard Schaefer offered that fight to my coach.” Alvarez said. “I believe that it is a difficult commitment, but I truly felt that I wouldn't have anything to lose. Mayweather is a difficult opponent and one must be in the proper form to beat him."

Although Alvarez was eager to take the fight, his team wisely declined the offer.
:smh:

Currently, Mayweather and Golden Boy are in negotiations with Shane Mosley for a possible May 1 battle.

According to Michael Marley of The Examiner , both camps say that the negotiations are progressing very well.

When referring to the talks between Team Mayweather and Team Mosley, both camps seem to have agreed upon “cordial” as the adjective of choice.

On Tuesday evening, Oscar De La Hoya said:

"Is that fight going to happen? I'm confident it will."

If Mayweather wants to continue to be a big draw, he needs to fight an opponent who can give him a run for his money .

Shane Mosley can do just that. Although he definitely won’t be the betting favorite going into the fight, he certainly won’t be a pushover.

At 39 years of age and a record of 46-5 with 39 knockouts, Mosley is currently ranked as the No. 3 pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

It’s a rare time in boxing—a time when the top three pound-for-pound ring-kings happen to be in the same weight class. That’s a fact that all parties involved need to capitalize upon.

If the “cordial” negotiations result in an actual fight, Mayweather will gain back a measure of respect as a boxer—even if his inherent lack of people skills never wins him any popularity contests with the general public.

Mayweather vs. Mosley could be a great fight if it happens, and everyone would like to see the winner take on the winner of Pacquiao vs. Clottey. But fans should be advised to wait for the official announcement before getting too excited.

Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

Anything could [not] happen [again] at this point.

Other than Nate Campbell, not one of these lesser lights who's names keep being thrown out there has ever been mentioned by anyone in the Mayweather/Golden Boy camps as opponents. Alvarez, like Hatton and Malignaggi, is the only person saying he was up for consideration.
Sports media is a funny animal. I'm not circling the date on my calendar until it's signed but some of these articles are just ridiculous on their face and show why most sports "journalists" aren't real journalists.

A big fight? Yeah. But does anyone really think the term "mega-fight" applies to Pacquiao-Clottey? Oscar drew a big crowd to see him fight Steve Forbes, was that even a big fight?

merce77

Star
Registered
Other than Nate Campbell, not one of these lesser lights who's names keep being thrown out there has ever been mentioned by anyone in the Mayweather/Golden Boy camps as opponents. Alvarez, like Hatton and Malignaggi, is the only person saying he was up for consideration.
Sports media is a funny animal. I'm not circling the date on my calendar until it's signed but some of these articles are just ridiculous on their face and show why most sports "journalists" aren't real journalists.

A big fight? Yeah. But does anyone really think the term "mega-fight" applies to Pacquiao-Clottey? Oscar drew a big crowd to see him fight Steve Forbes, was that even a big fight?

Sorry but Floyd's record of fighting guys like Henry Bruseles actually makes me believe that ALL those guys were mentioned or Floyd would've taken the fight with Pac or Mosley already. These same names keep getting mentioned over and over by different people, there has to be some truth in it.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Sorry but Floyd's record of fighting guys like Henry Bruseles actually makes me believe that ALL those guys were mentioned or Floyd would've taken the fight with Pac or Mosley already. These same names keep getting mentioned over and over by different people, there has to be some truth in it.

No there doesn't. What I've seen is the repeating of the same story over and over. Not one place has anyone, other than those fighters, being included in the Mayweather mix. Malignaggi says and it's repeated. Hatton says and it's repeated. Alvarez (who?) says and it's repeated. All were denied and disputed openly and none bring anything to the table.
When you mention Bruseles, that was an eliminator match for the top contender to Gatti. He beats up Bruseles in front of a national audience and then moved on to fight for a title against a big name (not elite fighter but big name). That situation doesn't exist with any of those guys.

merce77

Star
Registered
I hear ya Upgrade, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Of course we haven't heard anything from Floyd since the Marquez fight, he has his mouthpieces at GBP doing all the talking for him.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I hear ya Upgrade, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Of course we haven't heard anything from Floyd since the Marquez fight, he has his mouthpieces at GBP doing all the talking for him.

He should, the Mayweather men aren't known for their eloquence. Floyd's better than his dad or uncle but he ain't Barack Obama.:D

Disqo

Potential Star
Registered
I don't get this notion that Floyd has no power and people can just run up on him, while he may not have Tyson like KO power, he does have 'pop' in his punches and that can boxers think twice

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I don't get this notion that Floyd has no power and people can just run up on him, while he may not have Tyson like KO power, he does have 'pop' in his punches and that can boxers think twice

Ten years ago he had power. He is just speed at this point. He hasn't had power in years. I am not sure how you come to the conclusion he has power. His speed is just a good though. Power makes a person not want to come forward. But if you got to come forward that is what you got to do. Speed alters what you want to do because you just can't get your timing right when fast punch come at you. Both a pretty tough to deal with. But it is easier to neutralize power than speed. The main thing with a power punch it to try to keep them from teeing off on you. That usually involves you keeping away and being on guard. Which is easier than how you deal with a person with speed. Usually you got to get in close to try to smother them. But that means you got to come forward and be ready to get peppered. Which after 10 rounds that strat will take its toll. But if you are like a speedy fighter with power like manny, then that is even worse. The only way to beat that kind of fighter. well not the only way. but the first way that comes to my mind is to be an effective counterpuncher. if you can counterpunch you probably won't beat a speedy fighter with power.

merce77

Star
Registered
Ten years ago he had power. He is just speed at this point. He hasn't had power in years. I am not sure how you come to the conclusion he has power. His speed is just a good though. Power makes a person not want to come forward. But if you got to come forward that is what you got to do. Speed alters what you want to do because you just can't get your timing right when fast punch come at you. Both a pretty tough to deal with. But it is easier to neutralize power than speed. The main thing with a power punch it to try to keep them from teeing off on you. That usually involves you keeping away and being on guard. Which is easier than how you deal with a person with speed. Usually you got to get in close to try to smother them. But that means you got to come forward and be ready to get peppered. Which after 10 rounds that strat will take its toll. But if you are like a speedy fighter with power like manny, then that is even worse. The only way to beat that kind of fighter. well not the only way. but the first way that comes to my mind is to be an effective counterpuncher. if you can counterpunch you probably won't beat a speedy fighter with power.

Really the only way to beat a guy with the type of speed that Floyd has is with an excellent jab and your timing has to be superior to his speed. Marco Antonio Barrera comes to mind. He had a great off-beat jab and his timing with counterpunches was excellent. It was how he was able to beat up much quicker guys(Hamed, MoralesIII) though his hands and footwork were far from slow, it was the little nuances in his game that gave those guys problems. Mike McCallum is another guy who comes to mind and I think he was even better than MAB with the jab and counterpunching, he beat up some really speedy guys like McCrory and Curry by being a superior counterpuncher and jabber. AND bodywork is very important in fighting a speedy guy, you have to slow him down.
I don't think it's so much that Floyd has power, really, it's more like the old saying "speed kills". In boxing, the punches that hurt you the worst are the ones you don't see coming. But as a welter he really doesn't have any power. I mean light hitting Collazo had Hatton badly hurt at welter before Floyd ever knocked out Ricky. And before that, who was the last guy Floyd ko'd, Gatti? Nah, he doesn't have the power to hurt a Shane Mosley. Check this out, I was reading the betting lines on this fight and here's what a dude at Bodog had to say.....

The Mayweather vs Mosley Boxing Betting Line is Mayweather -250 at Bodog.com.

Boxing Picks Analysis: Shane Mosley is a pro’s pro that takes the sport very serious and has fought at a high level for a very long time. Shane is a smooth boxer that can do it all: Punch to the body inside, counterpunch or box beautifully on the outside with great agility. Shane still has some of the fastest hands in the sport with his machine gun like combinations. Mosley is 38-years old but his conditioning and physical strength are matched by few fighters. At 5'9" Shane has very long arms with his 72" inch reach that he uses to pump sharp jabs from range. Mosley is a master of distance and he knows how to create angles with his pogo stick movement. Mosley’s few drawbacks are that his reactions have dimmed a bit and he was accused of using steroids by the federal government which might have given him an unfair edge earlier in his career.

Mayweather is one of those rare “great“ fighters that comes around every 20 years or so. Mayweather hass supersonic hand-speed, impeccable defense, outstanding counterpunching, elite boxing technique and the ability to fight great inside or outside. Along with tremendous boxing ability Mayweather is one of the best conditioned fighters in the sport and is supremely confident and focused. Mayweather’s few drawbacks are that he has had some hand injuries, his power is only above-average and he is overly cautious. The Mayweather vs Mosley Boxing Betting Line Total is at 11.5 Rounds with the Over at -365.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Really the only way to beat a guy with the type of speed that Floyd has is with an excellent jab and your timing has to be superior to his speed. Marco Antonio Barrera comes to mind. He had a great off-beat jab and his timing with counterpunches was excellent. It was how he was able to beat up much quicker guys(Hamed, MoralesIII) though his hands and footwork were far from slow, it was the little nuances in his game that gave those guys problems. Mike McCallum is another guy who comes to mind and I think he was even better than MAB with the jab and counterpunching, he beat up some really speedy guys like McCrory and Curry by being a superior counterpuncher and jabber. AND bodywork is very important in fighting a speedy guy, you have to slow him down.
I don't think it's so much that Floyd has power, really, it's more like the old saying "speed kills". In boxing, the punches that hurt you the worst are the ones you don't see coming. But as a welter he really doesn't have any power. I mean light hitting Collazo had Hatton badly hurt at welter before Floyd ever knocked out Ricky. And before that, who was the last guy Floyd ko'd, Gatti? Nah, he doesn't have the power to hurt a Shane Mosley. Check this out, I was reading the betting lines on this fight and here's what a dude at Bodog had to say.....
[

I think it's difficult to gage Mayweather's power at welter because of his competition at welter and simply because of his style. Mayweather never really seems to be trying to knock guys out as he's always on the defensive. Against Marquez, did he knock him down only once because of lack of power or because of his style? I think Mayweather would have stopped him had he torn into Marquez like he was supposed to. Yet, he preferred to sit back, jab, and only throw in combinations of two punches if he threw combinations at all. IMO, it was a shitty performance for someone that claims to be so great.

Against Hatton, Floyd seemed to be mostly busy fending off Hatton's bull rushes and the action was mostly smothered with few clean punches landed until Mayweather caught him. Regardless, Hatton's a junior welter anyway

Baldomir seems like a rock chinned guy and even Vernon Forrest couldn't stop him.

I think Mayweather has some pop at welter but its hard to know either way because he's not fighting anybody. I feel the same way regarding his supposedly impeccable defense.

Disqo

Potential Star
Registered

I said he has 'pop' do you even know what that means? I don't see how you can say the ONLY thing he has is speed, that to me is very stupid. Again he does not have Tyson like KO power, but he has enough to sting folk (I bolded that part, in the hope you will understand what I am trying to say)

An execellent jab is something that Mosely does not have and it sure as hell will not cause Floyd any problems, I have always disliked the way he just paws with his jab

Last edited:

merce77

Star
Registered
I said he has 'pop' do you even know what that means? I don't see how you can say the ONLY thing he has is speed, that to me is very stupid. Again he does not have Tyson like KO power, but he has enough to sting folk (I bolded that part, in the hope you will understand what I am trying to say)

An execellent jab is something that Mosely does not have and it sure as hell will not cause Floyd any problems, I have always disliked the way he just paws with his jab

You sound sure, if you're boy was, he would've signed the contract already.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
I just have one question....Why does it appear that when Floyd is fighting someone who sincerely has no real shot to beat him, the contract negotiations go very smoothly, but when he is fighting a definite threat there are always issues, etc. which drag out negotiations? Never heard of the Marquez talks dragging out like this, the Hatton talks went pretty well, but first the Pacman drama and now this is dragging out?!?!?! Just a random question...

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I'm not gone... My internet/computer if fucked up and I got to reformat, but I'm buying a new drive tomorrow and I will be back.

merce77

Star
Registered
What contract?, has one been drawn up? negotiations are still ongoing so why not just chill and let them talk it out.

What's to talk out? They've offered him a 65/35 split and Mosley will submit to any kind of drug testing? What, does he want Mosley to wear a certain color trunks? Maybe he wants Nazim Richardson tested for PED's as well? When this negotiation falls apart, what kind of spin are you Mayweather guys gonna put on this to make it look like Mosley's fault? This fight should have been signed already, just like Pac immediately found another opponent.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
What's to talk out? They've offered him a 65/35 split and Mosley will submit to any kind of drug testing? What, does he want Mosley to wear a certain color trunks? Maybe he wants Nazim Richardson tested for PED's as well? When this negotiation falls apart, what kind of spin are you Mayweather guys gonna put on this to make it look like Mosley's fault? This fight should have been signed already, just like Pac immediately found another opponent.

campbell is ready to step in. lol, I got to read this source article dude. I would think that is fair for PWill. Cause PWill needs a fight like this to make a name for himself. But to ask this of Mosely is crazy. Oh well Mosely must have something to hide if he doesn't agree to PBF's fair demands.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered

I hear the problem is Mosley refuses to allow Floyd to fight with headgear on...Always a difficult negotiation with this Dude?!?!?!?:smh: