Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
New colors for the retrobit Tribute 64 coming soon

86187790_10158041695929588_4299201755796733952_o.jpg

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Follow this guy on youtube..

He tests emulators on EVERYTHING. Phones, single-board computers, old computers, laptops and he buys ALL of the Chinese knock-offs and will tell you which one is worth it.

He's safe for the kids to watch, he never uses any profanity and his videos generally get to the point in a timely manner.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor

He tests emulators on EVERYTHING. Phones, single-board computers, old computers, laptops and he buys ALL of the Chinese knock-offs and will tell you which one is worth it.

He's safe for the kids to watch, he never uses any profanity and his videos generally get to the point in a timely manner.
Good looking out family.

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

dude is the truth. Ive made some bucks off this cat.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Thanks fam!

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No, what's up? I haven't really touched mine since I have been playing VR heavily.

Im looking to add a mugen game directly to my Launchbox setup. My only problem is I cant seem to find the right Mugen build.

Ive downloaded about 100 gb of builds with characters and stages. Nothing is perfect. I really dont need 5000 characters...LOL

Plus, I know I have time, but not enough to get back into designing mugen games from scratch. That was like 10 years ago. Ive forgotten most of it.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Currently looking for NES usb controllers that are decent.

Anybody here give Attract-mode a try?

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
I got the 8bitdo SNes and Genesis joints

I've tested those and they are great (Sidenote the dual joystick SNES pad is what Nintendo should have introduced with the N64). Alittle to pricey from my retrogaming budget, I'm looking for something in the $12-$20 range.

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've tested those and they are great (Sidenote the dual joystick SNES pad is what Nintendo should have introduced with the N64). Alittle to pricey from my retrogaming budget, I'm looking for something in the $12-$20 range.

thats true, they were an impulse buy. the lockdown made me start a lil retro machine build

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
thats true, they were an impulse buy. the lockdown made me start a lil retro machine build

I'll say this, if you are the type of person who takes your retro gaming seriously, they are a good buy.

I'm tempted to buy an SNES retropie with the Retroflag case, if I do that, I'm definatey going to buy an 8bitdo SNES controller.

I'm just pissed that they discontinued the one with the original SNES colors.

(ETA) these are my retro controllers

Last edited:

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
QuickNES has been re-added as a retroarch core, it's listed as a WIP. It's a nearly 20 year old code but as an NES emulator it gets the job done.

It has the standard features, dimensions, button turbo, audio equalization as well as color palattes, it does not have features to emulate tube tv's though.

The NES is not pushing any computer's limits in 2020, so the choice of NES emulation is up to you, most of them are going to be neck and neck and only the extra features will set them apart.

I'll be sticking with Nestopia.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
So I've been messing around with other front-ends, namely Pegasus and Playnite

Both are free and both have good-looking Nintendo Switch looking front-ends but both are a bit complicated to mess around with, it really makes you appreaciate the features that Launchbox brings to the table in making your setup look need and clean and getting it done in a timely manner.

Although I still keep my Retroarch set up with boxarts and info because I can launch it all with a controller, which makes it easy for retro-Fridays but Retroarch really needs to look into some other themes. I understand that they keep the XMB because it's familiar and easy but it just looks old at this point and the Ozone theme is good but could be done better.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
NES has joined the chat

Picked up this on Ebay, they go 2 for $5.57, with no shipping costs.

Since neither 8bitdo or Retro-bit make NES controllers and the NES controllers made by Nintendo are intended for the Switch, there are no pre-set config files for this controller and you'll have to set them up yourself because Retroarch thinks they are 6 button Genesis controller.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Sega Saturn controllers will probably be my next purchase. Retro-bit makes some nice ones and I'll have the choice of white (after the Japanese Saturn) or black

Last edited:

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
SMS Plus GX has been added to Retroarch as a core. This core is for Sega Master System and Sega Game Gear

Similar to QuickNES this is an old emulator who's code somebody has decided to work on and release as a standalone core.

Genesis Plus GX can handle SMS and Game Gear very well, the only and somewhat fatal flaw is that button mapping is a bitch for the SMS and Game Gear and it shouldn't be.

This core handles SMS and Game Gear emulation just fine, I wish it had more features such as overclocking to help with slowdown but Game Gear and Sega Master System aren't pushing anybody's hardware in 2020. You'll just fine using SMS Plus GX or any other core if you're trying to emulate Game Gear or SMS.

(ETA)

I am still personally testing which cores I will use for SMS and GG and will report back soon

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
SMS Plus GX has been added to Retroarch as a core. This core is for Sega Master System and Sega Game Gear

Similar to QuickNES this is an old emulator who's code somebody has decided to work on and release as a standalone core.

Genesis Plus GX can handle SMS and Game Gear very well, the only and somewhat fatal flaw is that button mapping is a bitch for the SMS and Game Gear and it shouldn't be.

This core handles SMS and Game Gear emulation just fine, I wish it had more features such as overclocking to help with slowdown but Game Gear and Sega Master System aren't pushing anybody's hardware in 2020. You'll just fine using SMS Plus GX or any other core if you're trying to emulate Game Gear or SMS.

(ETA)

I am still personally testing which cores I will use for SMS and GG and will report back soon
Good shit fam

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Going to be doing some testing on the new Mupen64Plus-Next this week to see if it's worth moving away from ParaLLEl

I think work on Nintendo 64 emulation might start to pick up as single board Pi computers get more powerful and taking into account the rumors about Nintendo's plans for putting N64 games on the switch or releasing an N64 mini.

Simply, the N64 is on alot of people's minds, in both the modern and retro gaming communities.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
Going to be doing some testing on the new Mupen64Plus-Next this week to see if it's worth moving away from ParaLLEl

I think work on Nintendo 64 emulation might start to pick up as single board Pi computers get more powerful and taking into account the rumors about Nintendo's plans for putting N64 games on the switch or releasing an N64 mini.

Simply, the N64 is on alot of people's minds, in both the modern and retro gaming communities.
What's the results of your testing?

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
First, I fucked up because I was using Mupen64 Plus-Next GLES3, which is intended for lower end hardware and I think is still in WIP. Full disclosure, I didn't own a 64 growing up, so I don't have childhood memories of extensive gameplay on original hardware to compare emulators to, so if you did, you'll probably notice incorrect sound or graphical glitches that I'm likely to miss.

So I downloaded the correct version Mupen64 Plus-Next and tested it with Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64 and some console pushers such as Perfect Dark and Resident Evil. From what I saw, I was able to up scale to 1440x1080 with enhancements and I didn't see any glitches. This core also has support for vulkan.