LaunchBox - Review and Setup Guide!

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
For the NES/Famicom/Famicom Disk system, I now recommend you use Mesen.

I found the emulator to be smooth, accurate, minimal lag and every easy to set up. It has built-in filters for RGB, s-video and component as well as xBrz.. There is also color palette options and top loader support.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
For the NES/Famicom/Famicom Disk system, I now recommend you use Mesen.

I found the emulator to be smooth, accurate, minimal lag and every easy to set up. It has built-in filters for RGB, s-video and component as well as xBrz.. There is also color palette options and top loader support.
good shit.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
I had stepped away from Launchbox for a while and just let started using Retroarch's XMB style interface do handle the launching of games but Retroarch's scraper doesn't work with "newer" consoles such as the Dreamcast and it never scrapes for fan games and doesn't even recognize them, so you end up having to do the scraping by hand which is a bitch for me and last time took me nearly three days to finish. Launchbox takes a three day job and get's it done in minutes.

Yeah I guess I’ll stick with retroarch.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
I managed to get one of these for free (I got the USB version for emulation)

Sega licensed themselves out to Retrobit just in time for for the Genesis Mini, slick and smart on Sega's part.

The USB Version on the left has shoulder buttons for use with other consoles or the Sega Saturn and the mode button is moved below the start button.

While the Genesis version on the right is basically the same as the original 6-button bad with the mode button being on the right shoulder.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Hold up on this fam.... Everyone in the Hyperpin facebook group is saying don't update yet.. because alot of the members are saying that alot of systems are not working anymore. They are saying keep the 1.7.7 version right now.

Ok, Everybody, you heard what Fonz said, stay on 1.7.7 until otherwise

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Thoughts on ReDream

Great emulator, great potential.. Very easy to use, all you need to do is load your GDI's or CDI's and play. No need to search for bios, it's all in there. It has two models, free and pay. The pay option opens up smoothing option and better rendering.

It has a modern looking interface and setting up controllers is easy as hell, they claim that 82% of the Dreamcast's library is playable and I find this to be believable. I was able to run console pushers such as Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, Shenmue and Resident Evil with no issue. 2D fighters performed very well also.

Some games had graphical glitches but keep in mind Dreamcast emulation is still in it's early stages and generally any emulation after the PlayStation 1 can be spotty at times but emulator was still very impressive.

While the ReDream doesn't exactly need bios files, you will have to find a Dreamcast bios file to access the Dreamcast's boot menu to manage your VMU. ReDream only allows you to have one "virtual" VMU and you are stuck with the 200 blocks, it doesn't just save your files to a folder and boot them when the corresponding game is loaded as other emulators do. I find this to be a major flaw with ReDream.

In a nutshell, it's a good "hassle free" emulator that will draw comparisons to Dolphin and it's potential is sky high but at this point but only being restricted to one "virtual" VMU and no jump pack support means, just keep this around for expiriemental purposes and either keep playing on your actual Dreamcast or stick with Flycast in Retroach.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
The Ozone theme for Retroarch is very nice, looks like the Nintendo Switch, very modern looking, looks great on the big screen and on mobile.

Retroarch really needs to work on adding some themes but I'm guessing that most of them who work on Retroarch. know people are using other launchers so themes are probably on the back burner.. The XMB theme is functional but it's just so old, it's from 2006!

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Man I don’t know what it is but I suck at LaunchBox. I really want this to Ben the front end for my arcade1up mod but I can’t get it to run how I want it. I really need a day just to play with it.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
I downloaded this and I wasn't really impressed.

The dev "remade" Super Mario Land (the gameboy game) for the SNES and he dumped it on an SNES board so in making the game he was restricted to SNES specs. I wish he would have made a true fan game that maybe was 16-bit inspired (like Sonic Mania). The game looks like one of those late stage SNES games that came out after 1996 when Nintendo had turned it's attention fully to the N64 with the pre-rendered backgrounds and sprites.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
I've been testing the Sega Master System as of late and I want to give out this tip for those who may be interested in diving into that console's library.

The Sega Master System is actually slightly more powerful than the NES but because most people are very unfamiliar with the SMS the first game they tend to try to play on its emulators is typically a Sonic game and that can pose some problems and I'll explain why.

The Sega Master System was released in 1985 but Sega didn't debut Sonic until 1991. Sonic was created to give Sega a new mascot for the 1990s and showcase the Genesis' capabilities. At the same time, Sega created versions of Sonic games for the Game Gear and SMS because the Game Gear was Sega's flagship handheld and the SMS was still very popular in Brazil and remained so until at least 1994.

What this means Sonic games didn't show up on the SMS until very late in its life cycle and those Sonic games with the emphasis on speed are "console pushers" and have loads of slow down, which can give people a false impression about the SMS. The SMS is a good 8-bit system with a good library but when playing Sonic games on the SMS (Sonic 1, 2, Chaos, Blast) I would advise you to overclock the emulation to 200% to correct the slowdown.

As for core recommendations. Genesis Plus GX works just fine and has the most options..

Picodrive and Gear System are satisfactory.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Got a chance to test out this controller

This is the 8bitdo SN30 Pro

This is a SNES inspired controller that features two thumbsticks and four shoulder buttons. The original SNES controller did not have thumbsticks and only had 2 shoulder buttons.

This is a great controller, has rumble capabilities and is a bit heavier than the original SNES controller it can be used with PC, Mac, Android and Switch and there are dongles that allow it to be used with a SNES Mini and an Original SNES. It feels great, it feels like an official Nintendo controller.

But at $44 it's a bit pricey. Hardcore SNES heads and people who have a Switch and plan on using it with their PC games can get the most value out of it but if you're just a guy casually plays his emulators for quick fun, this might be a bit too expensive for just that. The Retrobit Sega controllers run between $15 and $20, at $44 you're at or around the price of an XboxOne or PS4 controller.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Got the Tribute 64 (usb) on sale for $20, it usually goes for $30

It's based on the Hori-pad, which was a 3rd Party N64 controller that has become beloved over time.

I'll play a few N64 games and offer my opinions soon.

gojQUxR.jpg

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Here's my thoughts the Retrobit Tribute 64

In short, it is a must-have if you are a hardcore Nintendo 64 gamer, they offer this controller with USB or N64 connections so it doesn't matter if you're playing with emulators or original hardware.

The joystick is of good quality and has a rubber thumb pad similar to the GameCube controller, it should be able to withstand more punishment than the original's joystick. The buttons have a quality feel to them, they aren't clicky but not mushy either and the controller is a slightly smaller than an Xbox One controller and definitely much lighter, bruhs with big hands might need to adjust but little kids should be fine and probably much better than with the original N64 controller

Both the USB and N64 version have the expansion port on the back BUT ONLY THE N64's VERSION is functional. The PC version just has the port with no connectors in it, that means the PC version will lack rumble capability. I would have loved for them some sort of force feedback into the PC version but I'm guessing that was done to keep cost down.

I hate lack of colors, they only offer the colors below. I would have loved more solid colors such as Yellow or Blue, Black or and original Grey

If you are a hardcore N64 fan, you should definitely get one. N64 controller is a bit awkward to map to an Xbox Controller and this will certainly give you a more authentic experience.

Last edited:

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
One More Thing

The newest editions of Retroarch have profiles for the Tribute 64 as well as Retrobit's Sega themed controllers for the Genesis and Saturn. What this means is that those controllers will be mapped automatically for the cores/systems they are designed for.

I didn't have to do any button mapping when it came to the Mupen64 core, Retroarch recognized the controller and mapped them automatically and correctly. Which I am glad about because that 6 button Geneis controller was a nightmare to map out until Retroarch updated their controller config files.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Quick tip about SNES emulation

Keep a copy of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island in your collection for testing purposes even if you don't like the game.

Basically if your SNES emulation set-up can run that game with no issues and at 60fps, you can run any SNES game on your set up with no issue.

This is due to the fact that the game uses the FX2 chip and prerendered graphics and was a true hardware pusher in the later years of the SNES.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
I see alot of people singing the praises of FPGA but I wouldn't call it an "evolution" of emulation like some are saying

FPGA is way more accurate, but more expensive

Emulation is cheaper and more versatile.

Plus in terms of accuracy, unless you work for Digital Foundry, you're NOT going to notice the difference between a game being played on an actual Genesis and a rom being ran on Retroarch.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
do you know a good spot for snes roms?

I suggest you get full sets, espeically for non-disc based consoles (because they are smaller sized) because Nintendo will snatch down all rom sites and suit the owners and then you lose your source

We have full sets in the gaming sub forum

Or you can use this link, full set is 3 gigs

oskie

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I suggest you get full sets, espeically for non-disc based consoles (because they are smaller sized) because Nintendo will snatch down all rom sites and suit the owners and then you lose your source

We have full sets in the gaming sub forum

Or you can use this link, full set is 3 gigs

thx, i have all the NES games, I ported my library over to KODI but the snes games deleted and i want to replace.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man, I couldn't picture this

My retro controller collection grows, this time I added the Retroflag USB SNES Pad.. This is the American SNES version, they also have the colorful Japanese/European version also. They go for $15 on amazon.

5Z0IbgV.jpg

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Here's a fan-made compilation of the 8-bit Super Mario Bros. games. While it shares it's name with the SNES game that featured 16-bit remakes of the NES Super Mario games, this rom features the original 8-bit games in their original form, the only added feature is the save feature. Included are Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3.. Both versions of Super Mario Bros 2 are included (Lost Levels and the American version of SMB2)

As a rom file, it's a bit redundant, I'd recommend this to people who know how to do repo cartridges, people using flash drives or people with limited storage. To save your progress pause the game (press start) and then press select to either pick save and continue or save and quit and then press "A".

Also the original Mario Bros arcade game from 1983 is included as a secret game, on the game select screen press up and "A" and it will appear.