LaunchBox - Review and Setup Guide!

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
Fam are ya'll up on game emulation?

I just set my shit up and to say the least, that shit is cool af.

I have setup emulation for PSX, PSX2, PSP, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, WiiU, & MAME.

All of my games are controlled using my xbox one controllers except for the Wii games, which I use Mayflash Wireless Sensor DolphinBar and original Wiimotes.

LaunchBox / Big Box Setup

EMULATORS
http://www.emulator-zone.com/

ROMS
https://www.loveroms.com/

Mayflash Wireless Sensor DolphinBar
http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiGC/W010.html

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
cool

i have no idea how ANY of this works...but it does look cool as hell
Fam it is simple enough. It also has a kodi plugin. I set everything up yesterday since I had some free time. I am still downloading ROMS. Some of the ROMS sizes are huge. I was playing Shenmue before making this thread. The shit is cool and not complicated. Plus they have youtube videos about all of this shit. Everything is free except the Dolphin bar and BigBox mode for Launchbox.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
Yep, I've gotten into the retro games. I had been sitting on roms for years but had no way to organize them. I use launch box as a launcher for retroarch. The Launch box has the boxarts and details and has a nice, clean set up.

That's what I am talking about. Mayne I got the nes version ninja Gaiden on my big screen. The shit is cool as fuck. I have about 50 roms downloaded so far. Zelda BOTW is almost done and I got CEMU already configured waiting on it.
I wish I could figure out a way to play KOTOR but the xbox emulation is not in high demand.

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
That's what I am talking about. Mayne I got the nes version ninja Gaiden on my big screen. The shit is cool as fuck. I have about 50 roms downloaded so far. Zelda BOTW is almost done and I got CEMU already configured waiting on it.
I wish I could figure out a way to play KOTOR but the xbox emulation is not in high demand.

Join this site and get these roms.. No intro roms, no bullshit, they have the revisions and international versions..

https://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?56293-MULTI-ROM-SET-No-Intro-Collection-(Complete-ROM-Sets)

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
@Duece I even paid for the BigBox mode.

It's a great product, after years of just having the roms in a folder and fumbling thru emulators, some of which don't work with Windows 10, this thing just breathe a whole new life into my retro gaming..

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Quek9 pretty much gave you all the info.

The links I posted are the in-intro roms which are supposed to be fresh off the carts with no added BS. But those sets are HUGE and are intended for people who want full collections.

If you just want the games you played as a child and maybe few others, I suggest using the link Quek9 posted.

Tuco

Rising Star
Registered
Props for this. Came across it a couple months ago after retroarch gave me problems. Even spent da $20 for da Big Box premium. Dope ass shit man. Took a lil while to get roms matching with emulators and shit, and i still have to find a way for games to open up fullscreen by default. Definitely worth it tho.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
Props for this. Came across it a couple months ago after retroarch gave me problems. Even spent da $20 for da Big Box premium. Dope ass shit man. Took a lil while to get roms matching with emulators and shit, and i still have to find a way for games to open up fullscreen by default. Definitely worth it tho.
For full screen you need to add the -f -g command in CEMU command line field. I setup my emulators first in launchbox. Yea, that bigbox goes hard especially with the kodi addin.
I just wish I could play KOTOR and KOTOR2 but the xbox emulators are fucking terrible.

Tuco

Rising Star
Registered
Fam it is simple enough. It also has a kodi plugin. I set everything up yesterday since I had some free time. I am still downloading ROMS. Some of the ROMS sizes are huge. I was playing Shenmue before making this thread. The shit is cool and not complicated. Plus they have youtube videos about all of this shit. Everything is free except the Dolphin bar and BigBox mode for Launchbox.

:eek2:

I been WAITING for this!!

EDIT: Got more work to do than i thought.....

bwb

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
bookmarked. If I can get this going it will be awesome. Thanks to all who contributed!

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
This might be of some help to some people when dealing with roms.
I would copy and paste this to a notepad file and keep it in your roms folder.

ROM Suffix Explanations

ROM files, unless altered by the uploader, always have special suffixes to quickly denote what the status of the ROM is. Since ROMs are “dumped” from the physical copy into a digital version by different groups (think in terms of modern day “scene” groups for piracy) they can sometimes be of crap quality, be in different languages, have custom translations, etc.

Here is a quick guide, originally written by “Psych0phobiA” (codes themselves developed by “Cowering” for the Goodxxxx series), to explain what those codes actually mean, thereby giving you the best ROM experience possible!

If you don’t want to read the following, and assuming you want to play ROMs in English, the following suffixes are what you want:

For English ROMs
(U) or (E) or (UE) or (U)(E)

For the best quality ROMs
[!]

What to avoid like the plague

And now for the longer, fully detailed guide:

Standard Codes ( ‡ explanations further down)

[a] Alternate
[p] Pirate
Bad Dump (avoid these, they may not work!)
[t] Trained
[f] Fixed
[T-] OldTranslation
[T+] NewerTranslation
[h] Hack
(-) Unknown Year
[o] Overdump
[!] Verified Good Dump
(M#) Multilanguage (# of Languages)
(###) Checksum
(??k) ROM Size
ZZZ_ Unclassified
(Unl) Unlicensed

Game Boy
[C] Color
Super
[BF] Bung Fix

Super Nintendo
(BS) BS ROMs
(ST) Sufami Turbo
(NP) Nintendo Power

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
(1) Japan
(4) USA
(5) NTSC Only
(8) PAL Only
[ (B) Brazil ]
[ [c] Checksum ]
[ [x] Bad Checksum]
[ [R-] Countries ]

NES/Famicom
[PC10] Playchoice 10 version
[VS] Vs Version

Country Codes
(1) Japan & Korea
(4) USA & Brazil - NTSC
(A) Australia
(J) Japan
(B) Brazil
(K) Korea
(C) China
(NL) Netherlands
(E) Europe
(PD) Public Domain
(F) France
(S) Spain
(F) World (Genesis)
(FC) French Canadian
(SW) Sweden
(FN) Finland
(U) USA
(G) Germany
(UK) England
(GR) Greece
(Unk) Unknown Country
(HK) Hong Kong
(I) Italy
(H) Holland
(Unl) Unlicensed

‡ Standard Code Notes
[a] This is simply an alternate version of a ROM. Many games have been re-released to fix bugs or even to eliminate Game Genie codes (Yes, Nintendo hates that device).

A bad dump often occurs with an older game or a faulty dumper (bad connection). Another common source of ROMs is a corrupted upload to a release FTP.

[f] A fixed game has been altered in some way so that it will run better on a copier or emulator.

[h] Something in this ROM is not quite as it should be. Often a hacked ROM simply has a changed header or has been enabled to run in different regions. Other times it could be a release group intro, or just some kind of cheating or funny hack.

[o] An overdumped ROM image has more data than is actually in the cart. The extra information means nothing and is removed from the true image.

[t] A trainer is special code which executes before the game is begun. It allows you to access cheats from a menu.

[!] Verified good dump. Thank God for these!

‡† Special Code Notes
Game Boy
[BF] Bung released a programmable cartridge compatable with the GameBoy which could hold any data you wished to play. However, many games do not function on Bung v1.0 carts and have to be ‘fixed.’

Super Nintendo
(BS) These Japanese ROMs were distributed through a satellite system in Japan known as the Broadcast Satellaview. They were transmitted along with a TV show which was connected to the game in some way. These games were only playable during the show, and thus stop after an hour, and many were timed so that only certain time periods were playable.

(ST) The Sufami Turbo device allowed two GameBoy sized carts to be plugged into the SNES. Certain carts combined into new games much like the Sonic & Knuckles lock-on technology by Sega.

(NP) Nintendo Power has been known to release games only available to its subscribers. Most of these ROMs are Japanese, as this practice occured mainly in Japan.

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
(1) Carts with this code will run on both Japanese and Korean machines.

(4) While this code is technically the same as a (U) code, it is a newer header format and represents that the cart will run on USA and Brazil NTSC machines.

(B) This country code indicates that it’s intended for Brazil audiences.

[c] This code represents a cart with known faulty checksum routines.

NES/Famicom
[PC10] The PlayChoice 10 was an arcade unit which played exact copies of NES games in an arcade cabinet. The machines had a choice of 10 games to choose from and ran for about 3 minutes on 25 cents.

[VS] The Versus system ran on similar hardware to the PC10 machines, but simply allowed you to play against each other.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
This might be of some help to some people when dealing with roms.
I would copy and paste this to a notepad file and keep it in your roms folder.

ROM Suffix Explanations

ROM files, unless altered by the uploader, always have special suffixes to quickly denote what the status of the ROM is. Since ROMs are “dumped” from the physical copy into a digital version by different groups (think in terms of modern day “scene” groups for piracy) they can sometimes be of crap quality, be in different languages, have custom translations, etc.

Here is a quick guide, originally written by “Psych0phobiA” (codes themselves developed by “Cowering” for the Goodxxxx series), to explain what those codes actually mean, thereby giving you the best ROM experience possible!

If you don’t want to read the following, and assuming you want to play ROMs in English, the following suffixes are what you want:

For English ROMs
(U) or (E) or (UE) or (U)(E)

For the best quality ROMs
[!]

What to avoid like the plague

And now for the longer, fully detailed guide:

Standard Codes ( ‡ explanations further down)

[a] Alternate
[p] Pirate
Bad Dump (avoid these, they may not work!)
[t] Trained
[f] Fixed
[T-] OldTranslation
[T+] NewerTranslation
[h] Hack
(-) Unknown Year
[o] Overdump
[!] Verified Good Dump
(M#) Multilanguage (# of Languages)
(###) Checksum
(??k) ROM Size
ZZZ_ Unclassified
(Unl) Unlicensed

Game Boy
[C] Color
Super
[BF] Bung Fix

Super Nintendo
(BS) BS ROMs
(ST) Sufami Turbo
(NP) Nintendo Power

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
(1) Japan
(4) USA
(5) NTSC Only
(8) PAL Only
[ (B) Brazil ]
[ [c] Checksum ]
[ [x] Bad Checksum]
[ [R-] Countries ]

NES/Famicom
[PC10] Playchoice 10 version
[VS] Vs Version

Country Codes
(1) Japan & Korea
(4) USA & Brazil - NTSC
(A) Australia
(J) Japan
(B) Brazil
(K) Korea
(C) China
(NL) Netherlands
(E) Europe
(PD) Public Domain
(F) France
(S) Spain
(F) World (Genesis)
(FC) French Canadian
(SW) Sweden
(FN) Finland
(U) USA
(G) Germany
(UK) England
(GR) Greece
(Unk) Unknown Country
(HK) Hong Kong
(I) Italy
(H) Holland
(Unl) Unlicensed

‡ Standard Code Notes
[a] This is simply an alternate version of a ROM. Many games have been re-released to fix bugs or even to eliminate Game Genie codes (Yes, Nintendo hates that device).

A bad dump often occurs with an older game or a faulty dumper (bad connection). Another common source of ROMs is a corrupted upload to a release FTP.

[f] A fixed game has been altered in some way so that it will run better on a copier or emulator.

[h] Something in this ROM is not quite as it should be. Often a hacked ROM simply has a changed header or has been enabled to run in different regions. Other times it could be a release group intro, or just some kind of cheating or funny hack.

[o] An overdumped ROM image has more data than is actually in the cart. The extra information means nothing and is removed from the true image.

[t] A trainer is special code which executes before the game is begun. It allows you to access cheats from a menu.

[!] Verified good dump. Thank God for these!

‡† Special Code Notes
Game Boy
[BF] Bung released a programmable cartridge compatable with the GameBoy which could hold any data you wished to play. However, many games do not function on Bung v1.0 carts and have to be ‘fixed.’

Super Nintendo
(BS) These Japanese ROMs were distributed through a satellite system in Japan known as the Broadcast Satellaview. They were transmitted along with a TV show which was connected to the game in some way. These games were only playable during the show, and thus stop after an hour, and many were timed so that only certain time periods were playable.

(ST) The Sufami Turbo device allowed two GameBoy sized carts to be plugged into the SNES. Certain carts combined into new games much like the Sonic & Knuckles lock-on technology by Sega.

(NP) Nintendo Power has been known to release games only available to its subscribers. Most of these ROMs are Japanese, as this practice occured mainly in Japan.

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
(1) Carts with this code will run on both Japanese and Korean machines.

(4) While this code is technically the same as a (U) code, it is a newer header format and represents that the cart will run on USA and Brazil NTSC machines.

(B) This country code indicates that it’s intended for Brazil audiences.

[c] This code represents a cart with known faulty checksum routines.

NES/Famicom
[PC10] The PlayChoice 10 was an arcade unit which played exact copies of NES games in an arcade cabinet. The machines had a choice of 10 games to choose from and ran for about 3 minutes on 25 cents.

[VS] The Versus system ran on similar hardware to the PC10 machines, but simply allowed you to play against each other.
Good drop fam