RIP Demond Wilson 'Lamont from Sanford and Son' (October 13, 1946 – January 30, 2026)

RIP to one of the most iconic blk TV characters in television history.

Lamont Sanford aka "Big Dummy"

My top 5 Sanford and Son episodes (in no particular order)

1. The three degrees

2. The gay blade episode

3. The episode where they go to jail for trying to be in a skin flick

4. The speeding ticket episode where they go to court

5. The episode where Julio hooks up Lamont with his sister.

5B. The episode where Julio takes Lamont and Fred to a spanish restaurant.

Good choices. Just a couple more:

** Lamont vs Jo Jo Jackson.

** Lamont and Rollo sneaking girls into the house, but being met by Grady and his shotgun. "No Orgies!!!" Then after a second try, getting run out of the house by Aunt Esther and the ladies from the church.
 
I always say and maintain the Sanford and Son was one of the top 3 funniest shows ever along with All In the Family and Soap.He played the perfect straight man to Fred and Aunt Esther who were so funny that Lamont broke character all the time and started laughing. RIP
 
RIP . I listened his YouTube interviews a few weeks ago. He definitely had his business together .
 
That was my memory as well. I can't remember him ever saying anything complimentary about Redd, or anyone else on the show. Neither can I remember anyone from the show ever saying anything complimentary about him.
In our talks it seemed complex. To stay positive I think he felt Redd deserved more recognition and the studios did not give him his just due for all that he did even prior to Sanford and Son. However, he also felt Red feared guys like Pryor and himself were similar to Malcolm X with Elijah Muhammad. I'll just say that connect the dots. Just to clear up some things I am seeing said in thread.

He also had issues with the way Hollywood did things then and now in general.
 
624322103_10240160114477912_8041078412965660013_n.jpg
 
Good choices. Just a couple more:

** Lamont vs Jo Jo Jackson.

** Lamont and Rollo sneaking girls into the house, but being met by Grady and his shotgun. "No Orgies!!!" Then after a second try, getting run out of the house by Aunt Esther and the ladies from the church.

Yes!!!! I forgot about these two. Hilarious episodes especially considering Redd Foxx had left the show that season.
 
He played the perfect straight man to Fred and Aunt Esther who were so funny that Lamont broke character all the time and started laughing. RIP
I remember the ending to that one episode(the sensitivity group one) where Redd yanked Lawanda's wig off and she chased him out the door..the last shot was of Demond falling out laughing :lol:
 
Back
Top