Who Here Has Expensive Hobbies and/or Toys

jagu

Rising Star
Platinum Member
How many watches do you have
5. Just bought a datejust 41 about 5 minutes ago.
breitling navitimer (John Travolta style)
Datejust 36
datejust 36 with diamond dial for the wife
white gold president. Unworn. About to sell it at a fortune.
datejust 41 two tone wimbledon -incoming. This is the 2nd time I’m buying this. I sold the first one 2 years ago and miss it now.

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Literally when they do ya whole entire shit Mayne. Shampoo the rugs wash and hand wax that muthafucka, steam cleaning the engine, put that special shit on the lights to make them shine like a muthafucka, the works. Use to be this one detailing spot in Willingboro down South Jersey. People would take Bentley's, Rolls-Royce's Maybach's there to get fully detailed, especially before car shows. They were really really good. Tried to find them a few years ago and they were no longer in that spot. For sedans a good detail may run $140. Trucks we talkin at least $200. For a quality one at least. That wax should last a while too. It's recommended to do it every 6 months. Twice a year.
QS3QsN.jpg

I been strait fuckin up....I'm a start demanding shit.... brah

Lola

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lola, where the fuck you been
gurl? We got worried about you
after a while. We had some
serious knock-down drag out
brawls over the years. In a
weird way, I kinda miss that lol.
It's good to see that your ok. :cool:

Im here...well and living good!

This board wasnt for females, so I found a new home at LSA.

So many memories here though. :)

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
This is the bass I'm playing. Fender P Bass II. I Could have brought a $200 bass as a beginner but fuck dat shit. I don't want to ever have to trade shit in to upgrade. I'd rather buy some shit from the rip I can have forever and just get better with grade A equipment. Plus James Jamerson is my all time favorite bass player so it wasn't shit for me to drop $1500 on something he played to help create the Motown sound. Even fucked around and got the same color he rocked with. Shout out to @woodchuck for helping me along as well. Getting good tones on my slap technique too. :clap: :clap: :clap:

20210511-092150.jpg

ECVlQa.jpg

notreally

Rising Star
Registered
I shoot on the Sony GM 24/1.4 mainly and that was $1500. I also have a 55mm and 85mm lenses that cost about $800 each. Granted this was over about 3 years.

I've used that Sigma 30mm with my first camera (A6000) and it's really good.

Sigma is a maker of enthusiast level (at best) lenses. I bought a couple, many moons ago, before I knew better. Replaced with Nikkor glass, which, while superior, is still inferior to the best: Fuji, Zeiss, Schneider, Rodenstock, and Leitz (for Leica).

Zeiss and fuji are generally the best, if you are buying new.

With all the adapters available, a 60 year old Schneider Xenon, or Zeiss Planar will blow any Sigma lens ever made out of the water, at less than half the cost of a new Sigma.

Fuji now manufactures the Hasselblad, AND, more importantly, the glass for Hasselblad.

Why? Planars (Xenon is Schneider's planar design) are sharp even at maximum aperture, across the image plane.
This is why they cost more, and are among the best.

notreally

Rising Star
Registered
Bruh just for a 16-50mm lens alone, I'll be looking at about $160. It'd be an upgrade over the 16-50 that came with my camera though. I'll probably end up keeping the 16-50 I have now and looking at going after a Sigma 30mm lens instead. That mofo will run me about $270. Both are still relatively cheap compared to other higher end lens but considering this is my 1st mirrorless camera, I know I'll end up acquiring more lens over the long run that will be significantly more expensive. My wallet isn't ready

That is cheap. Zoom lenses are generally not sharp as prime (non-zooming) lenses. The 120mm Makro Planar will set one back more than 800 bucks for a well used copy, more than 30 years old.

Prime lenses tend to be faster, more dramatically isolate subjects if that is your thing (think f2, f1.7. f1.4), and are far easier to make super sharp.

Most camera brands lenses are available in a 50mm 1.8. Stopped down a bit, they get real sharp real fast.
Zeiss, and Leica glass is razor sharp wide open, and just get ridiculously sharp as you stop down.

This is why a 50mm planar, or summicron can set you back several hundred to a grand or more for a decades old, used copy.

Big Tex

Earth is round..gravity is real
BGOL Investor
Sigma is a maker of enthusiast level (at best) lenses. I bought a couple, many moons ago, before I knew better. Replaced with Nikkor glass, which, while superior, is still inferior to the best: Fuji, Zeiss, Schneider, Rodenstock, and Leitz (for Leica).

Zeiss and fuji are generally the best, if you are buying new.

With all the adapters available, a 60 year old Schneider Xenon, or Zeiss Planar will blow any Sigma lens ever made out of the water, at less than half the cost of a new Sigma.

Fuji now manufactures the Hasselblad, AND, more importantly, the glass for Hasselblad.

Why? Planars (Xenon is Schneider's planar design) are sharp even at maximum aperture, across the image plane.
This is why they cost more, and are among the best.

He’s wanting to film for a youtube channel. Youtube compresses the video anyway so there’s no need to spend thousands on lenses.

Big Tex

Earth is round..gravity is real
BGOL Investor
That is cheap. Zoom lenses are generally not sharp as prime (non-zooming) lenses. The 120mm Makro Planar will set one back more than 800 bucks for a well used copy, more than 30 years old.

Prime lenses tend to be faster, more dramatically isolate subjects if that is your thing (think f2, f1.7. f1.4), and are far easier to make super sharp.

Most camera brands lenses are available in a 50mm 1.8. Stopped down a bit, they get real sharp real fast.
Zeiss, and Leica glass is razor sharp wide open, and just get ridiculously sharp as you stop down.

This is why a 50mm planar, or summicron can set you back several hundred to a grand or more for a decades old, used copy.

All this is true. But very still photography focused. If he’s more a video shooter, he’d be better off dropping thousands on a cine or an anamorphic lens if he wanted to spend that much.

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
Can you post a review when you give it a listen? Not sure I'll drop the same coin on a model of this level but I have been considering a A&K or Sony Hi-Res player for a minute now but haven't taken the plunge yet. At some point I"m stepping my travel headphone game up too. Right now my go to buds are UE 18's and Shure 846 IEM's. I use them in bluetooth mode until seated on an aircraft then I switch to wired which is my preferred listening choice due to better sound quality. When ear fatigue sets in on longer flights my AirPods max or Bose 700's seem to do the trick. Anything is better than listening to wind and engine noise.

Yep. It'll be here Tuesday and I will let you guys know what I think. I saw one a couple days ago made by Sony and they wanted about 9 grand for that bitch. That device better fuck me suck me and prepare my meals for that price! :o

clay-davis-wire.gif

notreally

Rising Star
Registered
All this is true. But very still photography focused. If he’s more a video shooter, he’d be better off dropping thousands on a cine or an anamorphic lens if he wanted to spend that much.

Not necessarily. There are a LOT of adapters on the market, and a lot of the old glass have characteristics that modern lenses don't have. A lot of cinematographers are adapting old, process, enlarging and other lenses for video work.

notreally

Rising Star
Registered
He’s wanting to film for a youtube channel. Youtube compresses the video anyway so there’s no need to spend thousands on lenses.
If that is all you plan to do with the camera, yes. But a good prime manual focus lens can be had for less than 100 bucks. Autofocus, brand new, for as little as 150. Both can double as portrait lenses for still photography, as the crop factor makes a normal 50 more like a short tele, and the large aperture allows for blowing out backgrounds and subject isolation.

Wide angles distort facial features. The closer the focus, the greater the distortion.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Not necessarily. There are a LOT of adapters on the market, and a lot of the old glass have characteristics that modern lenses don't have. A lot of cinematographers are adapting old, process, enlarging and other lenses for video work.
I know who I'll be reaching out to once I start getting my feet wet with my camera :lol:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Joining Monday.
Definitely been worth it for me. I didn't start collecting guns til last year April and in less than a year have done a complete 180 in my gun knowledge and proficiency. I built my 1st AR a few weeks ago and took it out to the range today. Shot out to 550 yards when my previous max distance was only 100 yards. Now I'm working on sharpening my newfound rifle skills along with completing my Glock 19 clone project. A lot of the knowledge I acquired came courtesy of the ppl in my NAAGA chapter. Everyone shares info and there are no egos. It obviously won't be like that in every chapter but I've been very fortunate.

CybaCipha

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Definitely been worth it for me. I didn't start collecting guns til last year April and in less than a year have done a complete 180 in my gun knowledge and proficiency. I built my 1st AR a few weeks ago and took it out to the range today. Shot out to 550 yards when my previous max distance was only 100 yards. Now I'm working on sharpening my newfound rifle skills along with completing my Glock 19 clone project. A lot of the knowledge I acquired came courtesy of the ppl in my NAAGA chapter. Everyone shares info and there are no egos. It obviously won't be like that in every chapter but I've been very fortunate.
First I wanna be comfy and safe. Get my sons familiar and safe. I grew up in Bklyn where you could buy guns from dirty precincts /cops. Or just find them shits, holding them shits sideways, not knowing what a safety was, trying to clear a jam by looking down the barrel or sticking some shit in the barrel cause you didn't know better. I'm surprised I'm still here. "Life as a shorty shouldn't be so rough"

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
First I wanna be comfy and safe. Get my sons familiar and safe. I grew up in Bklyn where you could buy guns from dirty precincts /cops. Or just find them shits, holding them shits sideways, not knowing what a safety was, trying to clear a jam by looking down the barrel or sticking some shit in the barrel cause you didn't know better. I'm surprised I'm still here. "Life as a shorty shouldn't be so rough"
I get it. I grew in the BX so I know what you're talking bout. Gun safety should be the most important thing you learn and integrate into your life as a consistent lifestyle. It's the hugest thing stressed in my chapter and I share that knowledge with everyone I can whenever I can. It's to the point now where I find myself watching movies and tv shows mad as hell at the horrible trigger discipline & gun safety practices I see. After that it's the gun realism or should I say lack of.......

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
What's your set up.
so far 2 jbl MkII monitors, (the sub woofer is next), marantz turret, & a Pioneer DJ DDJ-SB3....
im planning on purchasing the intel mac mini maxed out & eventually a reciever so I can hook up the surround sounds & or a mix board to take live calls. im turining the livingroom into a studio.... podcasts & youtube stuff..

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I'm jealous too!
@HellBoy Hell, you have to have something that's just for YOU to enjoy man. As men, we have the responsibilities of building, teaching, leading and setting examples within our families. We must reward ourselves as men, particularly as black men with positive and productive hobbies that not only we can enjoy but can pass on creativity to our children as well. I WORK TOO DAMN HARD AND TOO MUCH TO CONVINCE MYSELF OF WHAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE. LONG AS YOU KNOW HOW TO MANAGE YOUR FINANCES AND MAKE SURE THINGS THAT NEED TO BE TAKEN CARE OF ARE BUY WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT. IF IT COSTS $7000 THEN SAVE UP $300 HERE, $500 THERE TILL YOU REACH YOUR TOTAL. FIND SOMETHING YOU LIKE AND IMMERSE YOURSELF IN IT. YOU ONLY GET ONE LIFE TO LIVE, YOU AIN'T COMING BACK IN THIS MUTHAFUCKA SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WITH SOME FUN HOBBIES THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY. :thumbsup:

TG37d6.jpg