TV News: ‘Good Times’ Voice Cast Revealed for Seth MacFarlane - Norman Lear Animated Series on Netflix

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Seth Macfarlane played a big part in my childhood with his work on Johnny Bravo and Family Guy, but honestly I think the sun has set on his brand of humor.

His old playing into stereotypes and nostalgia 20th century America has come and gone, and his inability to grow(Like the South Park creators have) has pretty much ended his reign in Animation. This is garbage and he, like with Ted 2, will regret putting his name on this.

I'm curious-- How do you perceive South Park / its creators as having grown?

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The only voice actor to come out and speak on it

And only ma dukes can reprimand or tell her anything based on her own words.

Lets see how long she keeps that "man" of hers with that kind of talking.

kevin-samuels.gif

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
lets NOT have revisionist history about it....Good times was just as divisive back in the 70s....

You know back in the late 70s there was such a stink from factions within the black community about Good Times that since that show youve never really seen a sitcom with a black family that lives below the poverty line...have you? Most if not all black sitcoms are with people/families that are middle class or working class but many are very upwardly mobile and decidedly NOT poor. Thats not a coincidence.

A lot of cats let nostalgia cloud their memory but Good Times was about as hated as it was loved at the time. It was certainly highly rated but there were a lot of blacks that HATED it for a variety of reasons (coonin, showing a black family in abject poverty etc) and the cast themselves stated some of those reasons. There were people IN the show that didn't like the show:lol:

"Esther Rolle left the after the 1976-1977 season due to her displeasure with the what she saw as the character of J.J. being a bad role model for young blacks. She returned at the beginning of the 1978-1979 season after the producers guaranteed that they would make J.J. a more respectable character."

The Evans would be the last (and maybe ONLY) sitcom family where you would see a black family living at or below the poverty line. Since then literally EVERY black sitcom (even Tyler Perry ones) showcase black families and people who are generally upper middle class or rich.

The closest you get to poor is Roc and that couple was working class. Since Good Times just about EVERY black person in a sitcom is gainfully employed and upwardly mobile.

The last ANIMATED show about poor black people in the ghetto was the PJs...the eddie murphy produced joint back in the 90s...

so we've already seen this.... that show lasted what 2 seasons???

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
When I first saw the trailer. I thought this was a updated The PJs cartoon. That shit caught me by surprise. When they said good times.

Last edited:

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
lets NOT have revisionist history about it....Good times was just as divisive back in the 70s....

You know back in the late 70s there was such a stink from factions within the black community about Good Times that since that show youve never really seen a sitcom with a black family that lives below the poverty line...have you? Most if not all black sitcoms are with people/families that are middle class or working class but many are very upwardly mobile and decidedly NOT poor. Thats not a coincidence.

A lot of cats let nostalgia cloud their memory but Good Times was about as hated as it was loved at the time. It was certainly highly rated but there were a lot of blacks that HATED it for a variety of reasons (coonin, showing a black family in abject poverty etc) and the cast themselves stated some of those reasons. There were people IN the show that didn't like the show:lol:

"Esther Rolle left the after the 1976-1977 season due to her displeasure with the what she saw as the character of J.J. being a bad role model for young blacks. She returned at the beginning of the 1978-1979 season after the producers guaranteed that they would make J.J. a more respectable character."

The Evans would be the last (and maybe ONLY) sitcom family where you would see a black family living at or below the poverty line. Since then literally EVERY black sitcom (even Tyler Perry ones) showcase black families and people who are generally upper middle class or rich.

The closest you get to poor is Roc and that couple was working class. Since Good Times just about EVERY black person in a sitcom is gainfully employed and upwardly mobile.

The last ANIMATED show about poor black people in the ghetto was the PJs...the eddie murphy produced joint back in the 90s...

so we've already seen this.... that show lasted what 2 seasons???

FOX actually did a Black series when they were still in the phase of putting anything on air.

It was called “South Central”. It was the series that kicked off Larenz Tate, Malinda Williams and Jennifer Lopez acting careers.

South Central

It was controversial cuz no father was in the home along with subject matter.

I remembered Phil Donahue had brought the cast on his show and the audience response was crazy, especially from White folks who watched a episode and couldn’t understand that if the family was poor, how could they afford a telephone.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
FOX actually did a Black series when they were still in the phase of putting anything on air.

It was called “South Central”. It was the series that kicked off Larenz Tate, Malinda Williams and Jennifer Lopez acting careers.

South Central

It was controversial cuz no father was in the home along with subject matter.

I remembered Phil Donahue had brought the cast on his show and the audience response was crazy, especially from White folks who watched a episode and couldn’t understand that if the family was poor, how could they afford a telephone.

Is there anyway this thing could actually be good?

That insane collection of talent really thought THIS was the best they could do?

I just refuse to believe that.

And Yvette defending herself is great but then to add...

Whelp... even if it's bad?!?

That was not the vote of confidence I was looking for.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Is there anyway this thing could actually be good?

That insane collection of talent really thought THIS was the best they could do?

I just refuse to believe that.

And Yvette defending herself is great but then to add...

Whelp... even if it's bad?!?

That was not the vote of confidence I was looking for.

The only thing I think that can save it is that there is a twist to the series.

An interesting twist is the trailer is not actually showing the actual show.

It might actually be a live action show with JD Smoove as the main Evans character (Father) and he is telling crazy stories to the Evans family in current time, which is shown to us (audience) in animation style.

The opening/end of the episodes are live action with periodical breaks of the live action family reactions to his stories.

I doubt that is what is going on, but it would make it interesting.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The only thing I think that can save it is that there is a twist to the series.

An interesting twist is the trailer is not actually showing the actual show.

It might actually be a live action show with JD Smoove as the main Evans character (Father) and he is telling crazy stories to the Evans family in current time, which is shown to us (audience) in animation style.

The opening/end of the episodes are live action with periodical breaks of the live action family reactions to his stories.

I doubt that is what is going on, but it would make it interesting.

Your a damn genius

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
Thats cap and you know it:

Not even a chuckle

Give me The boondocks, Bob's burgers, the Simpsons, Futurama, king of the hill, gravity falls, Rick and Morty(seasons 1 & 2 only) Bojack horseman, south park solar opposites, hell give me daria over this dumb shit... Shit give me SpongeBob over dumb ass family guy lol
The entire formula of family guy is stupid to me, non stop cutaway gags does not a good show make.

Also it's racist, but hey enjoy what you enjoy :cheers: