TV News: ‘Good Times’ Voice Cast Revealed for Seth MacFarlane - Norman Lear Animated Series on Netflix

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
aight....knee jerk reaction it feels mad buffoonish and plays into certain tropes that we don't need..

but seeing the names/voices attached makes me feel like it may be deeper and more thoughtful than the trailers presenting overall...I'll reserve further judgement until I watch it for myself or hear a trusted opinion of someone who watched it.

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
So here's the biggest difference. The original Good Times showed a Black family that even though they were poor they were dignified. What this trailer is doing is showing every stereotype of Black people that they could stick into one trailer.

Now I know a lot of people are talking about who is attached to it, meaning who are the Black people attached to it but never forget that it's ultimately a bunch of white people who green light what does and doesn't go into the show.

Everything about that trailer feels like it's something that is portraying what white people THINK Black people are like.

It's not laughing with us it's laughing at us.

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Took the words out of my mouth(no Diddy.)

I can't believe it's worse than my expectations. Fuck Steph curry, fuck Seth McFarlan. Always hated family guy and anything else he's ever made.

The problem is that no one that is a producer on the show is someone that grew up deep in the Black community. While Steph is Black he grew up the son of Dell Curry and I bet that included a lot of elite prep schools. That lack of connection to regular (middle class and urban) Black people could be how something like this got by him.

It's just a theory tho.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

no-nope.gif
no-nope.gif
no-nope.gif

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Seth Macfarlane played a big part in my childhood with his work on Johnny Bravo and Family Guy, but honestly I think the sun has set on his brand of humor.

His old playing into stereotypes and nostalgia 20th century America has come and gone, and his inability to grow(Like the South Park creators have) has pretty much ended his reign in Animation. This is garbage and he, like with Ted 2, will regret putting his name on this.

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Seth Macfarlane played a big part in my childhood with his work on Johnny Bravo and Family Guy, but honestly I think the sun has set on his brand of humor.

His old playing into stereotypes and nostalgia 20th century America has come and gone, and his inability to grow(Like the South Park creators have) has pretty much ended his reign in Animation. This is garbage and he, like with Ted 2, will regret putting his name on this.
Seth is trash.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man, I have seen one Family Guy episode in my life.....
It sucks now but I'd recommend going back and at least watching season 7. Some of the best primetime animation we have had since the golden age of Simpsons, and probably the logical conclusion of the American animated family sitcom. It doesnt get better than that in the genre.

Its American history at this point.

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It sucks now but I'd recommend going back and at least watching season 7. Some of the best primetime animation we have had since the golden age of Simpsons, and probably the logical conclusion of the American animated family sitcom. It doesnt get better than that in the genre.

Its American history at this point.
Thanks for the heads up, bruh!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Scratching my head with this one.

Looks like they trying to copy what Eddie Murphy did with his animated show called “The PJ’s”.

But with that trailer they put out on Netflix…I don’t know…

^^^^

BOOM!!!!!

I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Ooooo wee

This either brilliant or a f*cking train wreck no in between

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Damn...

You really not wrong.

I heard the Ted TV show is actually good?

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Oh, man. I thought this was just going to be an animated revisit of the old cast of characters. And honestly, I could get behind a continuation with a new generation of the family. But... yeah. I'm not feeling that at all.

It's like when they made Thundercats Ho!, and it seemed cool because the guy that was making it was such a huge fan. But then he just made a toony, light-hearted comedy, which is not what I (and a lot of other people) wanted.

I just don't see fans of the old show caring, and new viewers being all that interested. But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, so I guess we will find out.