The Chi Discussion Thread

Database Error

You're right dawg
OG Investor
MV5BMTc3ODc1Nzk1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjMwNjUzNzM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

A fateful event sends shockwaves through a community on the South Side of Chicago and connects the lives of Brandon, Ronnie, Emmett and Kevin in wholly unexpected ways. The ensemble cast includes Jason Mitchell, Ntare Guma Mbaho Mwine, Jacob Latimore, Alex Hibbert, Yolonda Ross, Tiffany Boone and Armando Riesco. Don't miss the premiere of The Chi on Sunday, January 7th 2018 at 10pm ET/PT on SHOWTIME. (TV14)

On Chicago's south side, an average day finds kids prepping for school as their parents head off to work, young adults trying to make a living, and the elders keeping an eye on things from their front porches. But in this tough neighborhood, real dangers threaten daily to squelch dreams, and the simplest decisions can have life or death consequences. The Chi is a timely coming-of-age drama series centered on a group of residents who become linked by coincidence but bonded by the need for connection and redemption. The ensemble cast includes Jason Mitchell (Straight Outta Compton), Jacob Latimore (Sleight), Ntare Guma Mbaho Mwine (Queen of Katwe), Alex Hibbert (Moonlight), Yolonda Ross (Treme, The Get Down), Armando Riesco (Bull) and Tiffany Boone (The Following).

Last edited:

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I didn't see them killing the nick cannon lookin kid. Wonder if that was a shot for that spike lee chiraq movie chi's hated so much

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just caught the first episode....very well done
Recognize some of the kids from "kicks" and officer greggs from the wire.

Directed by the brother Rick famikua (sp) same cat that directed dope

BlueCarpetTreatment

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I don’t see the issue of having a discussion thread if not talking about what happens on the show.
But, the first ep got me hooked in. I’m definitely going to be checking this out.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I liked it. I have another show to add :yes:

Jason Mitchell is a talented actor. I thought he was the best in the NWA movie. It's showing because he's been working since it came out.

I like dude from Kicks too :hmm:

I don’t see the issue of having a discussion thread if not talking about what happens on the show.
But, the first ep got me hooked in. I’m definitely going to be checking this out.

because he told about a major part of the story before most of us had seen it.

This isn't Walking Dead, some shit that has been on for seven years on regular cable. This is a new show that most people don't know about yet. Most of us just want to know if it's worth checking out, so we look at what some others are saying about it. Just like with movies, we want to hear the reviews before we devote our time.

And it wasn't even on fuckin TV yet, it was the series premier being available early.

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
Thanks for sharing, almost done first episode. Shit is powerful. Love LOVE this new class of black auteurs writing and creating shit like this. :yes:

This shit fire.

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Since Chi is my second home and Common is involved I thought the accent and music could have been more Chicago. I havnt heard anything about folks Moes or Joe havnt seen any footwork, no yelling of south side or naming of the neighborhood they’re in, no steppers type music even in the house party I figured I’d hear some type of chanting gangster shit. I almost think some of it was not shot in Chicago.

I like the show a lot however I think it could be more authentic.

Give Me 3ft.

The Supreme Being
Platinum Member
I knew shorty with fro wouldnt

Make it outta ep. 1! I thought it was

Over when he went in alley.