Sony pulls Spider-Man out of MCU!!!!

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Sony sells dogshit... Yet makes money from dogshit... Disney gave their dogshit product life and now Sony can sell more of it until the consumers smarten up...than Sony will holla at Disney once again to help push dogshit... If you had dogshit that could make money for decades upon decades would you sell it or hold onto it and figure wa ys to make more money off of it... The Spider-Man product is the perfect example of what wealth is

Animation is solid
Live action is the problem

Into the spiderverse just won an Oscar
So

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A70-1117

Was blade a Sony movie u stupid fuck

I’m talking about Sony only

And then my next post had blade in it

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Was blade a Sony movie u stupid fuck

I’m talking about Sony only

And then my next post had blade in it
You said they were doing it before MCU and used the 2002 date as proof of the "before" timestamp.

I then posted a MCU film from 1998. 1998 predates, 2002. Thus, your assertion that SONY had been doing it before MCU, is rendered invalid.

It would be in good taste to apologize.

Now atone you bitch ass midget.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So basically... Disney was like... Look Fam... We set you up in our MCU, marketed that bitch, and got you your first Billion dollar Spiderman.. We need a bigger take.

Sony was like: We are ok with the current deal

Disney responded with: Deuces..

Something tells me that next year.. Disney+ is going to have a fucking legit... Live Action Spider-man or a fantastic Spider-man cartoon.

If i remember right... I think Sony gave up all TV rights to Spiderman when the signed the 2009 deal with Disney...

Fam this is all posturing.....

"A Sony rep told HuffPost that the current impasse is only around the producer credit and that negotiations are ongoing. The rep also said that Feige was involved in Sony’s previous Marvel films."

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You said they were doing it before MCU and used the 2002 date as proof of the "before" timestamp.

I then posted a MCU film from 1998. 1998 predates, 2002. Thus, your assertion that SONY had been doing it before MCU, is rendered invalid.

THEY MEANING SONY

SONY DID SPIDER-MAN BEFODE MARVEL STUDIOS EXISTED

GO LAY DOWN

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Man please stfu

This is about Sony and Disney

That marvel studios blade movie wasn’t Disney backed.

Yes blade kicked off the whole superhero movie live action films.

But Sony and Spider-Man gave birth to marvel Disney backed studios

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Rumor has it Sony or Amy Pascal(Head executive) was fine with the deal until they seen how much avengers end game made at the box office.

Now Sony wants to build up there own universe to a avengers style movie. With Spider-Man, Venom, Hunter, etc...

Let’s see how that works

Amy Pascal got demoted this was done by Tom Rothman,who took her position and used to be one of the top guys at Fox..

I don't know cuz..

THIS version of Spideman REALLY resonated and connected across the audience.

I'm saying that character IS Marvel.

I understand your point..

who in the HELL would have guessed IRON MAN would end up being the heart of the modern MCU

but STILL...

I think Tom Holland does an excellent job playing as Spiderman....:dunno:

nah Pascale was scheming since the first avengers - thats why Amazing Spiderman 2 ended the way it
did

then when Marvel made the deal for Civil War - Pascal kept trying to insinuate that everything Sony did (Venom) would be included in the MCU

While,this is true..you can't put that on her this time. She hasn't been the chairman since 2015..

He's been trying to warn folks about Sony,for a minute...

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why Marvel Lost Spider-Man To Sony - Avengers Marvel Phase 4

Sony pulls Spider-Man out of the MCU!?!?! - Angry Rant!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@fonzerrillii @ViCiouS @largebillsonlyplease @ansatsusha_gouki

My oldest asked me before bed...

Is it true Spiderman is leaving Marvel movies?

I said how you know?

Her cousins sent her text on her ipad.

I said yeah its true, you ok?

She said daddy?

permission to curse?

I said OK?

Daddy that is bull crap. When I'm in charge of a studio I would never let anyone that ignorant of how important the fans and the these characters are work for my company. And that would be final.

And went to bed.

Bills?

I blame you.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Spider-Man’s Marvel Cinematic Future In Jeopardy As Disney and Sony Butt Heads Over Producing Deal
By Jordan Crucchiola@jorcru
08-spider-man-far-from-home.w330.h330.jpg

Photo: Sony Pictures

Spider-Man is under threat of eviction from the Marvel Cinematic Universe if the two companies controlling the character’s future can’t come to an agreement over producing and revenue sharing. In 2015, Marvel and Sony brokered a deal to share Spider-Man that involved Disney co-financing Spidey movies in exchange for a share of profits and for use of the web-slinger in its sprawling network of interconnected films. That original deal ran out after this summer’s smash hit Spider-Man: Far From Home— which recently became the highest grossing movie in Sony history — and the two studios have apparently been at odds for months over what a new operating agreement would look like. But news broke today that Disney and Sony aren’t finding their way to a middle ground, and if the outcome is a no-deal between those parties, Marvel Studios would lose access to Tom Holland’s Peter Parker for its future MCU storylines, and Sony would lose access to the ultra-successfulguiding hand of Kevin Feige and the Disney machine behind him.

Deadline was the first to report on the troubled negotiations, saying that the conflict has, naturally, boiled down to money. And considering how lucrative these super movies are, we are talking about lots and lots of money. Per Deadline, “It’s easy to understand why both sides refused to give ground. Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe.” Sony reportedly turned that offer down outright, and “just simply didn’t want to share its biggest franchise. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement going under the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of five percent of first dollar gross, sources said. Disney refused.”

Iron Man-led Marvel Cinematic Universe that has dominated the global box office for a decade, it sold off some of its superhero assets during the leaner days long ago. That’s how it lost X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man, but thanks to Disney acquiring Fox, the Mouse House now once again owns all other those heroes — besides Spidey. The trouble for Sony is that Spider-Man struggled in the Andrew Garfield era while the MCU became a singular force in film, and Disney is seen as having saved the Spider-Man property by bringing the character into its Infinity Saga. Sony understandably wants better terms for itself concerning its extremely profitable asset, and Disney takes up such a monstrous share of Hollywood at this point it makes sense the company would be comfortable insisting on rigid and more lucrative terms for a new deal — even if that risks losing Spider-Man entirely. (Reporting by BuzzFeedreiterates that 50/50 financing would mean 50/50 profit sharing, too.)It’s also worth noting that Marvel already owns the merchandising for Spider-Man.

None of this means that Spider-Man is fully retired. Negotiations are still currently on-going, and based on reporting by i09, “a Sony representative said it’s their belief this dispute is simply over a producer credit and negotiations are ongoing.” So, that’s one possibility, but if things stay gridlocked and no new deal can be reached by Sony and Disney, Feige would exit his role as a Spider-Man producer and the character would no longer appear in Marvel Studios films, which has also been confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter. Tom Holland is still reportedly set to return as Peter Parker in two more films for Sony, and Jon Watts is slated to return as director. Those movies have not been reported as compromised by today’s news, and Sony still has the Venom sequel in the works along with a sequelto Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse. The situation is still unfolding, but regardless of his MCU status, Sony will still have Spider-Man and his associated characters in its hands.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
@fonzerrillii @ViCiouS @largebillsonlyplease @ansatsusha_gouki

My oldest asked me before bed...

Is it true Spiderman is leaving Marvel movies?

I said how you know?

Her cousins sent her text on her ipad.

I said yeah its true, you ok?

She said daddy?

permission to curse?

I said OK?

Daddy that is bull crap. When I'm in charge of a studio I would never let anyone that ignorant of how important the fans and the these characters are work for my company. And that would be final.

And went to bed.

Bills?

I blame you.

I'll be dat.

Into the spiderverse can still have a sequel

LennyNero1972

Sleeping Deity.
BGOL Investor
I wonder if Apple is still trying to buy Sony Entertainment? I heard if that happens Marvel gets all of their Sony controlled properties back automatically.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I wonder if Apple is still trying to buy Sony Entertainment? I heard if that happens Marvel gets all of their Sony controlled properties back automatically.

hmmmm...

https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/apple-sony-takeover-as-big-tech-buys-hollywood

Apple - Sony Takeover Predicted as Big Tech Buys Up Hollywood
Wayde Robson — January 15, 2019

Rumors about Apple acquisitions are a staple of Internet lore. The iPhone maker is known for its massive cash reserves at nearly $300-billion. It has money to spend and the company has made it clear it's going to muscle its way into video production to support a future video streaming service. But Apple-original programs will need to be nothing less than stellar to compete with Emmy Award winners, Netflix and Amazon.

What’s really at stake for Apple and Amazon going into 2019? It’s getting firmly entrenched into a $1-trillion market valuation. It’s still practically a dead heat between Apple and Amazon as they took turns tipping the $1-trillion scale in 2018. A key ingredients for both companies growth will be online streaming of original productions. When Variety published a list of entertainment industry predictions for 2019, it included the bombshell that Apple will acquire Sony Pictures. The article cites the benefits of Sony’s established film franchises, from its animation studio to properties like Spiderman, Men in Black, Jumanji, Breaking Bad, and the experience of a functional, if troubled, Sony Pictures studio.

Whether you agree with Variety’s prediction or not, it’s interesting that these days, the bar to launching a new video streaming app has been raised. It’s not enough to have the tech, now you have to be a complete television production company on the side, these are truly the best of times to watch TV.

Unfortunately for Apple, it’s targeting one of the most competitive markets in tech today, and failure to launch in the entertainment industry will naturally result in a high-profile embarrassment. If Apple fails to produce any compelling original content, giving up market valuation to Amazon may be the least of Apple’s worries. A wave of duds with the biggest egos in Hollywood that Apple has already recruited will result in negative press from the tech and financial news sources. But that will be nothing compared to the horrors of celebrity gossip columnists going after Apple CEO, Tim Cook in snarky editorials. The humiliation will be vicious and unrelenting, because those people are ruthless.

Apple Must Get Original Content Right, and Fast!
In a world that has reached peak iPhone, Apple must diversify its offering. But it’s not just iPhone that’s suffering. Global smartphone sales worldwide are in decline. A November 2018 report by analysts at IDC shows that the third quarter of 2018 marked the fourth consecutive quarter of declining smartphone sales.

Never before have smartphone users been less inclined to upgrade to the latest offering year-after-year. Analysts predict the stagnation will continue until the widespread adoption of 5G wireless networks, but that isn’t expected until at least 2022. So, Apple will look to video to secure short-term interest in its hardware ecosystem. An Apple original hit may get new users on-board, while sustaining the interest of the Apple loyal.

Hollywood are the people making movies and TV for Netflix, Apple and Amazon. They're the same people, they just have a different buyer.
When Bill Gates popularized the truism, “content is king”, he was talking about software on the fledgling Internet of 1996 and comparing it to the broadcasting business of previous decades. In 2019 software, via streaming digital media, has delivered a wrecking ball to the broadcasting industry. While it’s tough to be a broadcaster in 2019, it’s been a great ride as a viewer. The rise of big tech in the entertainment industry has given us a golden age of television.

Big Tech Buying Hollywood
Television writer and producer, now co-creator of the Ricochet and Glop podcasts, Rob Longput it bluntly in a conversation with Reason magazine’s Matt Welch recently. Long says Hollywood has always been an incomplete business model. The TV and movie industries require outside investment and those investing industries change hands frequently. The latest happens to be big tech.

Long says:

"Hollywood has traditionally managed to refresh itself by suckering other businesses into financing them for ten or twenty years. Then those other businesses get wise and try to get out. Big conglomerates, including the Insurance industry, financed Hollywood through the 50s and 60s, then Coca-Cola in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Sony, a consumer electronics product company (in the 1990s) got in, and is now trying desperately to get out. Now you have big companies with very deep pockets getting in. The truth is, now, Hollywood are the people making movies and TV for Netflix, Apple and Amazon. They're the same people, they just have a different buyer."

Nobody knows for sure what Apple’s upcoming streaming service will look like exactly. But one thing is for sure, following in Netflix’s footsteps is going to be tough. There’s already plenty of choice for streaming apps, each with its share of great original content. Amazon Prime, Netflix and HBO Now are already established with Disney, YouTube, Facebook and even Walmart planning on bringing in new video on-demand services.

Yeah, Walmart. Somehow, the idea of Walmart and chill sounds terrifying.

Apple Music to Apple TV
Apple has already earmarked $4.2 billion on original content production through 2022. But exactly how Apple intends to break into the TV game is still anyone’s guess. One prediction comes from Loop analyst Gene Munster, who says that Apple will rebrand Apple Music into a video content and music streaming service. Apple Music launched in 2015 and it soon integrated its recent Beats acquisition including Beats 1, a popular online radio station. Since 2016, Apple Music has expanded with the introduction of video. With a user base of over 50-million subscribers, it seems like an obvious way for Apple to get a running start at video on-demand, as long as it doesn’t bump up the price for existing users.

A widely predicted strategy for Apple is that it will give away its upcoming video service for free to anyone using Apple products. According to a report from The Information, Apple plans to launch a new streaming TV app as early as 2019 that will be free to iOS devices. An unnamed TV executive who spoke to Recode says that Apple intends to sell a new standalone subscription service, but the exec said it will be priced well below Netflix’s monthly fee. All signs seem to point to a free-to-iOS service that can live on Android and PC as a downloadable app with a subscription, carefully priced to undercut Netflix.

Apple, From iDevices to a Studio
So, how does Apple go from a first-rate, leading-edge hardware manufacturer to content producer of the same calibre? Through acquisition, of course. Rumors of Apple acquiring a studio have been heating up in recent months. The company has been in talks with A24,producers of the multiple Oscar-recognized films Moonlight and Lady Bird. Other studios on Apple’s rumored hit-list includes MGM and Lionsgate. But evidence of interest in Sony Pictures precedes the recent Variety article.

Apple has already leased studio space in Culver City, giving it a physical presence in film-industry country. It has also poached some executive talent from Sony Pictures, recruiting two former Sony Television Presidents, Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg.

Sony Electronics and Spiderman
To be clear, the rumored Sony deal doesn’t include Sony’s hardware division. Thankfully, we won’t see an Apple-white iPlayStation priced at $2,000 anytime soon. But there may be some relevance to gaming regarding Sony’s tenuous ownership of Spiderman. Spiderman, the star of Sony films and a recent hit PS4-exclusive video game, may go back to Marvel if Sony Pictures is acquired.

The 1997 contract that saw Columbia Pictures (then owner of Spiderman) purchased by Sony, contains a clause that specifies that if Sony is purchased by another company, Spiderman reverts back to Marvel Enterprises, now owned by Disney. So, it’s unlikely Spiderman would be included in an Apple deal. As a comic nerd, I’d rather see the Marvel universe united under one brand and avoid coming under Apple control. So, if an Apple-Sony deal happened, and Spidey reverts back to Marvel/Disney control, it’s likely the end of any future Spiderman games as Sony PlayStation 4 exclusives.

Apple Content
It’s difficult for a middle-aged geek like myself to get excited about potential Apple-exclusive productions. If the company’s existing content and celebrity partnerships are any indication of what an Apple TV Network will look like, it’s looking grim. Apple has already released samples of original shows on its Apple TV service that demonstrates Apple scraping the bottom of the entertainment barrel with two reality shows with Carpool Karaoke and Planet of the Apps. The former provides a dashboard-cam view of celebrities singing in their cars while the latter is a Shark Tank-style show for app developers instead of entrepreneurs. So far, both of Apple’s original content efforts look like snooze-fests and they’ve been mostly reviled by critics online. Planet of the Apps sound particularly terrible because one of the celebrity judges turns out to be Goop pseudo-science swindler, Gwyneth Paltrow. Her online retailer, Goop is to health and well-being what overpriced, exotic cables are to audio. I know Apple probably isn’t interested my “misanthropic middle-aged nerd” demographic, but when it comes to Paltrow, if Iron Man ain’t in it - I ain’t interested.

But Apple has been working hard to secure deals with other names in the entertainment industry too, including Oprah Winfrey, La La Land director Damien Chazelle, Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston. Given the list of talent and ideas Apple has put forth so far, it doesn’t seem like Apple is serious about luring anyone over to iOS devices for the free TV. But there is one point of interest for a middle-aged nerd like myself. Apple announced a remake of Steven Spielberg’s 80s science fiction anthology show, Amazing Stories. The show will be based on Isaac Asimov’s Foundation novel series, that sounds promising. And then there’s Apple’s deal with DMH Media that will let Apple make new Peanuts cartoons.

At least there’s a ray of hope for Apple content, but it sure doesn’t sound like I’ll be switching over to the Apple ecosystem anytime soon.

What do you think? Share your comments in the related forum thread below.

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
hmmmm...

https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/apple-sony-takeover-as-big-tech-buys-hollywood

Apple - Sony Takeover Predicted as Big Tech Buys Up Hollywood
Wayde Robson — January 15, 2019

Rumors about Apple acquisitions are a staple of Internet lore. The iPhone maker is known for its massive cash reserves at nearly $300-billion. It has money to spend and the company has made it clear it's going to muscle its way into video production to support a future video streaming service. But Apple-original programs will need to be nothing less than stellar to compete with Emmy Award winners, Netflix and Amazon.

What’s really at stake for Apple and Amazon going into 2019? It’s getting firmly entrenched into a $1-trillion market valuation. It’s still practically a dead heat between Apple and Amazon as they took turns tipping the $1-trillion scale in 2018. A key ingredients for both companies growth will be online streaming of original productions. When Variety published a list of entertainment industry predictions for 2019, it included the bombshell that Apple will acquire Sony Pictures. The article cites the benefits of Sony’s established film franchises, from its animation studio to properties like Spiderman, Men in Black, Jumanji, Breaking Bad, and the experience of a functional, if troubled, Sony Pictures studio.

Whether you agree with Variety’s prediction or not, it’s interesting that these days, the bar to launching a new video streaming app has been raised. It’s not enough to have the tech, now you have to be a complete television production company on the side, these are truly the best of times to watch TV.

Unfortunately for Apple, it’s targeting one of the most competitive markets in tech today, and failure to launch in the entertainment industry will naturally result in a high-profile embarrassment. If Apple fails to produce any compelling original content, giving up market valuation to Amazon may be the least of Apple’s worries. A wave of duds with the biggest egos in Hollywood that Apple has already recruited will result in negative press from the tech and financial news sources. But that will be nothing compared to the horrors of celebrity gossip columnists going after Apple CEO, Tim Cook in snarky editorials. The humiliation will be vicious and unrelenting, because those people are ruthless.

Apple Must Get Original Content Right, and Fast!
In a world that has reached peak iPhone, Apple must diversify its offering. But it’s not just iPhone that’s suffering. Global smartphone sales worldwide are in decline. A November 2018 report by analysts at IDC shows that the third quarter of 2018 marked the fourth consecutive quarter of declining smartphone sales.

Never before have smartphone users been less inclined to upgrade to the latest offering year-after-year. Analysts predict the stagnation will continue until the widespread adoption of 5G wireless networks, but that isn’t expected until at least 2022. So, Apple will look to video to secure short-term interest in its hardware ecosystem. An Apple original hit may get new users on-board, while sustaining the interest of the Apple loyal.

Hollywood are the people making movies and TV for Netflix, Apple and Amazon. They're the same people, they just have a different buyer.
When Bill Gates popularized the truism, “content is king”, he was talking about software on the fledgling Internet of 1996 and comparing it to the broadcasting business of previous decades. In 2019 software, via streaming digital media, has delivered a wrecking ball to the broadcasting industry. While it’s tough to be a broadcaster in 2019, it’s been a great ride as a viewer. The rise of big tech in the entertainment industry has given us a golden age of television.

Big Tech Buying Hollywood
Television writer and producer, now co-creator of the Ricochet and Glop podcasts, Rob Longput it bluntly in a conversation with Reason magazine’s Matt Welch recently. Long says Hollywood has always been an incomplete business model. The TV and movie industries require outside investment and those investing industries change hands frequently. The latest happens to be big tech.

Long says:

"Hollywood has traditionally managed to refresh itself by suckering other businesses into financing them for ten or twenty years. Then those other businesses get wise and try to get out. Big conglomerates, including the Insurance industry, financed Hollywood through the 50s and 60s, then Coca-Cola in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Sony, a consumer electronics product company (in the 1990s) got in, and is now trying desperately to get out. Now you have big companies with very deep pockets getting in. The truth is, now, Hollywood are the people making movies and TV for Netflix, Apple and Amazon. They're the same people, they just have a different buyer."

Nobody knows for sure what Apple’s upcoming streaming service will look like exactly. But one thing is for sure, following in Netflix’s footsteps is going to be tough. There’s already plenty of choice for streaming apps, each with its share of great original content. Amazon Prime, Netflix and HBO Now are already established with Disney, YouTube, Facebook and even Walmart planning on bringing in new video on-demand services.

Yeah, Walmart. Somehow, the idea of Walmart and chill sounds terrifying.

Apple Music to Apple TV
Apple has already earmarked $4.2 billion on original content production through 2022. But exactly how Apple intends to break into the TV game is still anyone’s guess. One prediction comes from Loop analyst Gene Munster, who says that Apple will rebrand Apple Music into a video content and music streaming service. Apple Music launched in 2015 and it soon integrated its recent Beats acquisition including Beats 1, a popular online radio station. Since 2016, Apple Music has expanded with the introduction of video. With a user base of over 50-million subscribers, it seems like an obvious way for Apple to get a running start at video on-demand, as long as it doesn’t bump up the price for existing users.

A widely predicted strategy for Apple is that it will give away its upcoming video service for free to anyone using Apple products. According to a report from The Information, Apple plans to launch a new streaming TV app as early as 2019 that will be free to iOS devices. An unnamed TV executive who spoke to Recode says that Apple intends to sell a new standalone subscription service, but the exec said it will be priced well below Netflix’s monthly fee. All signs seem to point to a free-to-iOS service that can live on Android and PC as a downloadable app with a subscription, carefully priced to undercut Netflix.

Apple, From iDevices to a Studio
So, how does Apple go from a first-rate, leading-edge hardware manufacturer to content producer of the same calibre? Through acquisition, of course. Rumors of Apple acquiring a studio have been heating up in recent months. The company has been in talks with A24,producers of the multiple Oscar-recognized films Moonlight and Lady Bird. Other studios on Apple’s rumored hit-list includes MGM and Lionsgate. But evidence of interest in Sony Pictures precedes the recent Variety article.

Apple has already leased studio space in Culver City, giving it a physical presence in film-industry country. It has also poached some executive talent from Sony Pictures, recruiting two former Sony Television Presidents, Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg.

Sony Electronics and Spiderman
To be clear, the rumored Sony deal doesn’t include Sony’s hardware division. Thankfully, we won’t see an Apple-white iPlayStation priced at $2,000 anytime soon. But there may be some relevance to gaming regarding Sony’s tenuous ownership of Spiderman. Spiderman, the star of Sony films and a recent hit PS4-exclusive video game, may go back to Marvel if Sony Pictures is acquired.

The 1997 contract that saw Columbia Pictures (then owner of Spiderman) purchased by Sony, contains a clause that specifies that if Sony is purchased by another company, Spiderman reverts back to Marvel Enterprises, now owned by Disney. So, it’s unlikely Spiderman would be included in an Apple deal. As a comic nerd, I’d rather see the Marvel universe united under one brand and avoid coming under Apple control. So, if an Apple-Sony deal happened, and Spidey reverts back to Marvel/Disney control, it’s likely the end of any future Spiderman games as Sony PlayStation 4 exclusives.

Apple Content
It’s difficult for a middle-aged geek like myself to get excited about potential Apple-exclusive productions. If the company’s existing content and celebrity partnerships are any indication of what an Apple TV Network will look like, it’s looking grim. Apple has already released samples of original shows on its Apple TV service that demonstrates Apple scraping the bottom of the entertainment barrel with two reality shows with Carpool Karaoke and Planet of the Apps. The former provides a dashboard-cam view of celebrities singing in their cars while the latter is a Shark Tank-style show for app developers instead of entrepreneurs. So far, both of Apple’s original content efforts look like snooze-fests and they’ve been mostly reviled by critics online. Planet of the Apps sound particularly terrible because one of the celebrity judges turns out to be Goop pseudo-science swindler, Gwyneth Paltrow. Her online retailer, Goop is to health and well-being what overpriced, exotic cables are to audio. I know Apple probably isn’t interested my “misanthropic middle-aged nerd” demographic, but when it comes to Paltrow, if Iron Man ain’t in it - I ain’t interested.

But Apple has been working hard to secure deals with other names in the entertainment industry too, including Oprah Winfrey, La La Land director Damien Chazelle, Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston. Given the list of talent and ideas Apple has put forth so far, it doesn’t seem like Apple is serious about luring anyone over to iOS devices for the free TV. But there is one point of interest for a middle-aged nerd like myself. Apple announced a remake of Steven Spielberg’s 80s science fiction anthology show, Amazing Stories. The show will be based on Isaac Asimov’s Foundation novel series, that sounds promising. And then there’s Apple’s deal with DMH Media that will let Apple make new Peanuts cartoons.

At least there’s a ray of hope for Apple content, but it sure doesn’t sound like I’ll be switching over to the Apple ecosystem anytime soon.

What do you think? Share your comments in the related forum thread below.

Come on Apple get it done... It seems the only way for Marvel to get the rights back... Because Sony will never give them up...