Mayweather vs. Mosley-Who Wins?

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Three things about what has been recently discussed...

1. Arum may be on edge on this fight against Clottey...He is (hopefully) coming in at his true boxing weight, unlike when Oscar and Cotto fought Pac, so he should be at full strength. I think he will give Pac problems just like JMM did in their two fights. However, that unknown factor of him finishing fights gives Pac the slight edge...

Now if they still don't want to fight Floyd with the demands in place, then the Margarito fight is possible...and I would not be surprised if it happens since if it does, then Arum would have three big fights with fighters in his stable (Cotto/Margarito, Pac/Cotto, Margarito/Pac)...That is what he has done over the past couple of years so why stop now?

2. Shane will be definitely ready for his match with Floyd...More than some may think...don't let those comments lure folks into thinking that the win against Margs and the sparring session with Oscar gassed Shane's head up...Remember that when Oscar fought Floyd, he flustered him in the early rounds by using the jab and knocked Floyd off of his plan...the main reason that Floyd came back was that Oscar's activity diminished in the second half of the fight...Shane knows what to do to win, it's all about executing it...

3. As I said before, and I will say it again, the fight with Mosley will be tougher for Floyd than the Pac fight would...Mosley has more power, is bigger, taller, and is fast enough to catch Floyd with power shots. More importantly, I say Shane would be more accurate in his throws than Pac is...Manny looks like he just flails away with his punches in tight quarters (or close exchanges).

1) I agree with Arum stuff except I would be surprised if Cotto goes back on his word about fighting Margarito again. One thing I'll say is the more fights Floyd has with Olympic testing... the more I can see the public turning on Manny.

2) The reason Oscar was able to derail Floyd's plan with jab is because Oscar was the bigger fighter and Oscar's jab has always been pretty sharp. Shane on the other hand, depends heavily on his speed and power punching. I don't think Shane has a strong enough jab to out "box" Floyd or to limit Floyd's offense, but we'll see what happens.

3) I don't anyone out boxing Floyd and in my mind the way to beat the nigga is just land a good punch on him and hurt him. I could Manny's awkward movement and speed catching Floyd off guard. I think niggas really need to analyze the Shane we have seen recent and not the fighter he used to be. I might be jumping out there, but look at the quality of fighters he has fight in the past 5 years...

Yes, Shane has looked incredible against slower brawler like Margarito, Mayorga and Vargas. If you look at the slicker boxers, he doesn't look that good against a Cotto or a Wright... He did look good against Collazo (who has proven himself to me to be a pretty good fighter), but Floyd is on another level than Collazo. I like Shane and I give the nigga mad props, but I hope we better Shane in May than what we've been seeing.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Hold up.... let me backtrack a bit. I hope I'm not blurring this fight with another but if I remember correctly... the first time that I thought Shane should retire was in the Mayorga fight. Wasn't Mayorga was holding his own until the late rounds:confused: and Shane got a very late KO. I swear I was sitting there thinking that Mayorga's bummy ass might fuck around and beat Sugar Shane.... I got to be trippin' :smh:. Shit... now I gotta go and find the fight.

Last edited:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
:lol::lol::lol::lol: True!!!! I'm just saying, if he learned how to hold a little better, he might eliminate the third and fourth punches in those rounds that accumulate and ultimately led to his ass whipping!! BHop is known for that shit, that's one of the reasons you never see him staggering around the ring...

Holding is highly underrated. A timely hold has saved many fighters from knockdowns and/or knockouts. Sergio Martinez got rocked a couple times late against Paul Williams but saved himself by grabbing Paul and forcing the ref to break them apart, giving him a couple seconds to get right.

Hold up.... let me backtrack a bit. I hope I'm not blurring this fight with another but if I remember correctly... the first time that I thought Shane should retire was in the Mayorga fight. Wasn't Mayorga was holding his own until the late rounds:confused: and Shane got a very late KO. I swear I was sitting there thinking that Mayorga's bummy ass might fuck around and beat Sugar Shane.... I got to be trippin' :smh:. Shit... now I gotta go and find the fight.
You saw right. I was thinking Shane was going to blow dude out by 4. There was no way, in my mind, an undisciplined brawler like Mayorga could stay with a well rounded athlete like Shane Mosley. I think that was just a poor match up for him.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
Holding is highly underrated. A timely hold has saved many fighters from knockdowns and/or knockouts. Sergio Martinez got rocked a couple times late against Paul Williams but saved himself by grabbing Paul and forcing the ref to break them apart, giving him a couple seconds to get right.

You saw right. I was thinking Shane was going to blow dude out by 4. There was no way, in my mind, an undisciplined brawler like Mayorga could stay with a well rounded athlete like Shane Mosley. I think that was just a poor match up for him.

The Mayorga fight was difficult for Shane on a number of fronts. One, Mayorga, if you remember, 'Boxed' a little more and a little better especially early than anyone expected. He didn't just rush Shane as expected so that threw Shane off a little bit. Two, Mayorga has a helluva chin! He just doesn't get knocked out, Dude have to beat him down and then he eventually caves, but he can take a punch! So once Shane had to adjust a lil to what he was doing, he eventually broke him down. Sure the knockout was wayyyy late, but it was hightlight! :yes:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
The Mayorga fight was difficult for Shane on a number of fronts. One, Mayorga, if you remember, 'Boxed' a little more and a little better especially early than anyone expected. He didn't just rush Shane as expected so that threw Shane off a little bit. Two, Mayorga has a helluva chin! He just doesn't get knocked out, Dude have to beat him down and then he eventually caves, but he can take a punch! So once Shane had to adjust a lil to what he was doing, he eventually broke him down. Sure the knockout was wayyyy late, but it was hightlight! :yes:

True but Mayorga boxing a little more shouldn't have made much of a difference with a veteran like Mosley. It's not like Mayorga came out like Pernell Whitaker, just a more relaxer Ricardo Mayorga. I would think a real pro like Shane would just box him and check off the rounds until Ricky lost focus and went to his old ways.
This is one thing I think Floyd has over Shane overwhelmingly: boxing IQ. Shane really gets by on his physical gifts with little proof that he has any mental agility. Naseem Richardson is a blessing for that dude because he needs that extra set of eyes and brain in his corner.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
True but Mayorga boxing a little more shouldn't have made much of a difference with a veteran like Mosley. It's not like Mayorga came out like Pernell Whitaker, just a more relaxer Ricardo Mayorga. I would think a real pro like Shane would just box him and check off the rounds until Ricky lost focus and went to his old ways.
This is one thing I think Floyd has over Shane overwhelmingly: boxing IQ. Shane really gets by on his physical gifts with little proof that he has any mental agility. Naseem Richardson is a blessing for that dude because he needs that extra set of eyes and brain in his corner.

Very profound statement my Dude! I definitely believe that PBF has more ring smarts than Shane, which is why I believe Floyd could box a lot longer at an exceptionally high level than Shane. Shane's losses have come against fighters who outsmarted him and caused him to lose focus (Forrest playing on the Amateur wins, Winky being Winky, even to a point Cotto, who negated a lot of Shane's natural gifts). THat's why I don't see it as such a far fetched idea to have PBF a favorite in this fight. Sort of how Larry Bird always seemed to get the drop on a lot of the more athletically gifted ball players back in the day (just dated myself, my bad!!) :D

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

You´re actually right. Mayorga was winning the fight on some cards. That was one of the fights that convinced me that Shane was on the shot side. To me, his last second knockout of Mayorga took too long to come because Mayorga´s chin has been gone for a long time.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I think it's safe to say that Mayorga has deceptive and yes underrated boxing skills. Look what Mayorga did to a prime Vernon Forrest. Even against Vargas, he was supposedly in against a higher pedigree boxer with the amateur credentials, olympic experience(I think), etc, and he boxed the hell out of him too.

Mayorga might have upset Floyd too had they fought. Actually, I would pick a prime Mayorga to beat Floyd. I don't think Floyd would have been able to keep Mayorga off of him.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
I think it's safe to say that Mayorga has deceptive and yes underrated boxing skills. Look what Mayorga did to a prime Vernon Forrest. Even against Vargas, he was supposedly in against a higher pedigree boxer with the amateur credentials, olympic experience(I think), etc, and he boxed the hell out of him too.

Mayorga might have upset Floyd too had they fought. Actually, I would pick a prime Mayorga to beat Floyd. I don't think Floyd would have been able to keep Mayorga off of him.

I think a PBF prime Mayorga fight would be more competitive than most think because I also believe that Mayorga was a little more skilled than given credit for. I mean...look at his second fight with Forrest?!?!?! For the most part, he outboxed Dude that fight! That being said, I think it is a stretch to say he beats Floyd because the thing with Floyd's skillset is he doesn't need to keep a fighter off of him to win, his defense is tailored for a straight ahead brawler, and Mayorga's punches were a little too wide and telegraphed to catch Floyd with anything sneaky...competitive fight yes, but I think Floyd wins handily on points...

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I think a PBF prime Mayorga fight would be more competitive than most think because I also believe that Mayorga was a little more skilled than given credit for. I mean...look at his second fight with Forrest?!?!?! For the most part, he outboxed Dude that fight! That being said, I think it is a stretch to say he beats Floyd because the thing with Floyd's skillset is he doesn't need to keep a fighter off of him to win, his defense is tailored for a straight ahead brawler, and Mayorga's punches were a little too wide and telegraphed to catch Floyd with anything sneaky...competitive fight yes, but I think Floyd wins handily on points...

I think the Mayorga that fought Forrest would have brought an intensity and a physicality to the ring that Mayweather has never seen. I don't think that Mayweather would have been able to keep a Mayorga off of him by shoulder rolling in the pocket and throwing one shot at a time. It worked against Ricky Hatton but even the smaller Hatton was able to bull Mayweather into the ropes. However, as if arguing with myself, I will bring up that Corey Spinks' fight with Mayorga might be a way to kind of imagine what would have happened but Spinks basically ran his ass off in that fight and a lot of people think Mayorga won that fight. I didn't think Mayorga deserved to lose his titles to Spinks.

I'm not sure if Mayweather would have lost, but I don't see it as some walk in the park where he just dominates Mayorga on points. I've never seen Mayweather in with a fighter that was a physical force in the ring except maybe for Jose Luis Castillo whom many say he lost to.

Disqo

Potential Star
Registered
Shane has tools to beat Floyd, but I seriously doubt that he will try and 'outbox' floyd :smh:. I just don't see him being able to do that. It would be like Floyd saying he is going to blast Shane out.............no happening.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I agree.... Yes, Mayorga has a great chin , but he's basically like one of those niggas in a tough man competition. Mayorga should have been able to get away with a performance like that against lesser fighters, but Shane should have demo-ed on that nigga (just like Oscar did). Maryorga fighting smart still has the problem of having the bummy skills of Maryorga.

Everyone wants to point out that Mayorga beat Forrest but come on... Forrest is overrated and only beat Shane with his height and reach. Plus at that time, Shane thought his power punching shit would just crumble nigga and he would not have to use his boxing skills. The boxing IQ shit is a very real problem for Shane.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I thought for a second you were going to talk crazy... but your right. Mayorga would have lasted the 12 rounds and put mad pressure on Floyd, but there is no way possible that Mayorga would have won. PBF would not be able to hurt Mayorga, but Mayorga's only option would be to turn the fight into and ugly wrestling match. If sharper punchers have trouble landing punches..... how in the hell would Mayorga land with his loopy/clubbing punches. Any nigga who can't see that is bugging.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I thought for a second you were going to talk crazy... but your right. Mayorga would have lasted the 12 rounds and put mad pressure on Floyd, but there is no way possible that Mayorga would have won. PBF would not be able to hurt Mayorga, but Mayorga's only option would be to turn the fight into and ugly wrestling match. If sharper punchers have trouble landing punches..... how in the hell would Mayorga land with his loopy/clubbing punches. Any nigga who can't see that is bugging.

Haha. That's exactly what I liked about Mayorga. All of these fighters with the so called boxing pedigree said the same thing you said about "how in the hell would Mayorga land with his loopy/cubbing punches", Forrest, Vargas, Spinks, and even Six Heads Lewis all viewed Mayorga as some toughman brawler and next thing you know they were in a very close fight or getting knocked out. It truly made my day as a boxing fan when Forrest arrogantly spoke about Mayorga's caveman skills and how he was going to learn about real boxing, etc. The look on Forrest's face was priceless after he got knocked out. It was like he was saying, "How the fuck did this bum beat me?". Then, to add further insult, he actually gets outpointed by Mayorga in the rematch.

Vargas thought the same thing and acted like he just knew he was going to beat Mayorga based on his pedigree and Mayorga's lack thereof.

Mosley almost lost to Mayorga too and he was fighting a shot version. If Mayweather was getting backed up by Hatton, I don't think he would have had a field day with Mayorga at all.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
in boxing crazy stuff happens. Mayorga was a top ten fighter in his weight class. so he was more than capable of beating other fighters of that ilk. i can see pbf losing and beating him. it is all about match ups, training, and executing your plan. if you mess up on any of these three you can lose. but that is my opinion.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Zef you gotta be playing right... Vargas, Forrest and Lewis:confused: Are these niggas in the same league as Floyd in your mind? You shit on Malinaggi and Campbell but co-sign Mayorga.:smh: You got to be shitting me. Yes, Forrest beat Shane but not only did he lose to Mayorga, he also loss to Sergio Mora. In my opinion Shane fight a shot Mayorga, but Mayorga was fighting a shot Mosley who was coming off an L to Cotto.

If you think Hatton was doing anything affective against of Floyd, I guess I have to concede that you probably see something in Mayorga that I don't.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
Haha. That's exactly what I liked about Mayorga. All of these fighters with the so called boxing pedigree said the same thing you said about "how in the hell would Mayorga land with his loopy/cubbing punches", Forrest, Vargas, Spinks, and even Six Heads Lewis all viewed Mayorga as some toughman brawler and next thing you know they were in a very close fight or getting knocked out. It truly made my day as a boxing fan when Forrest arrogantly spoke about Mayorga's caveman skills and how he was going to learn about real boxing, etc. The look on Forrest's face was priceless after he got knocked out. It was like he was saying, "How the fuck did this bum beat me?". Then, to add further insult, he actually gets outpointed by Mayorga in the rematch.

Vargas thought the same thing and acted like he just knew he was going to beat Mayorga based on his pedigree and Mayorga's lack thereof.

Mosley almost lost to Mayorga too and he was fighting a shot version. If Mayweather was getting backed up by Hatton, I don't think he would have had a field day with Mayorga at all.

I feel the angle you are coming from but to mention the names you mentioned in comparison to Floyd is like comparing LeBron to Igoudala!!! Good player, but no where near LeBron's league! The difference is not just the defense, it's the intangibles which would make Mayorga less threatening to him than the people you named. Also, those Dude's all tend to fight to the the level of their competition...but as much as I am not entirely entertained by Floyds style, he is consistent if nothing else...beating good fighters, dominating fighters on points when he should. I've never seen PBF take a fight off! Now, as far as Shane, he is who he is...to a fault sometimes. That being said, I was not altogether disappointed with his performance, an awkward fighter like Mayorga can make anyone look bad on a given night. For example, Forrest beat Shane twice, Mayorga beat him twice, Shane knocked out Mayorga...styles make fights but it doesn't mean a fighter is shot or overrated!

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
in boxing crazy stuff happens. Mayorga was a top ten fighter in his weight class. so he was more than capable of beating other fighters of that ilk. i can see pbf losing and beating him. it is all about match ups, training, and executing your plan. if you mess up on any of these three you can lose. but that is my opinion.

Agreed. In boxing, anybody can win. No one is unbeatable unless they retire early or stop facing the best in their division. I think Mayweather is good but his lack of variety in opposition doesn't convince me that he would be untouchable against certain fighters.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I feel the angle you are coming from but to mention the names you mentioned in comparison to Floyd is like comparing LeBron to Igoudala!!! Good player, but no where near LeBron's league! The difference is not just the defense, it's the intangibles which would make Mayorga less threatening to him than the people you named. Also, those Dude's all tend to fight to the the level of their competition...but as much as I am not entirely entertained by Floyds style, he is consistent if nothing else...beating good fighters, dominating fighters on points when he should. I've never seen PBF take a fight off! Now, as far as Shane, he is who he is...to a fault sometimes. That being said, I was not altogether disappointed with his performance, an awkward fighter like Mayorga can make anyone look bad on a given night. For example, Forrest beat Shane twice, Mayorga beat him twice, Shane knocked out Mayorga...styles make fights but it doesn't mean a fighter is shot or overrated!

The names I mentioned were mentioned just to represent fighters with boxing pedigree and not necessarily to compare them with Floyd. I know what you're trying to say though and it's hard for people to even fathom Mayweather losing to someone like Mayorga even though in boxing, these types of upsets happen all of the time.

As much as Mayweather's defense is lauded, I'm not convinced that he would be so untouchable against the quality fighters his own size. We've already spoken about how he tasted canvas against Judah and he arguably lost to Castillo so he can't be all that untouchable.

The more I think about it, I think Mayorga would have presented an attitude of attack similar to the one that Hatton brought to the ring but in Mayorga we would have been seeing a much stronger, much bigger, and even more intense fighter bringing fire every round.

It's all fantasy though so we'll never know. I would have like to see how Mayweather would have faired against such a test. The Mosley fight should give us somewhat of a clue against how intact his defense remains against an intense and fresh, physical fighter.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
The names I mentioned were mentioned just to represent fighters with boxing pedigree and not necessarily to compare them with Floyd. I know what you're trying to say though and it's hard for people to even fathom Mayweather losing to someone like Mayorga even though in boxing, these types of upsets happen all of the time.

As much as Mayweather's defense is lauded, I'm not convinced that he would be so untouchable against the quality fighters his own size. We've already spoken about how he tasted canvas against Judah and he arguably lost to Castillo so he can't be all that untouchable.

The more I think about it, I think Mayorga would have presented an attitude of attack similar to the one that Hatton brought to the ring but in Mayorga we would have been seeing a much stronger, much bigger, and even more intense fighter bringing fire every round.

It's all fantasy though so we'll never know. I would have like to see how Mayweather would have faired against such a test. The Mosley fight should give us somewhat of a clue against how intact his defense remains against an intense and fresh, physical fighter.

No doubt. I wish this Mosley fight could have taken place 5 years ago but on the same token, look at BHop and what he's accomplished after age 35 so it's not a forgone conclusion PBF wins this!!! The one thing I would like to see is for Shane to pull it off, at least we could look forward to more exciting challenging fights...I still believe PBF, especially if this fight is a tough nailbiting affair, may fall back into his hand picking opponents shell, especially if his undefeated record is challenged for real by this fight with Shane. Fear can make a Dude do worse things than that and I believe the fear of losing if he comes close will have any impact on his fight selection going forward...

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I agree. I must be tripping.... I never thought in my life that anybody thought Mayorga was a competitor of any form to an elite fighter. I thought Shane was done and even in his piss poor performance he knocked that nigga out. Yet again, I guess I should not be surprised by the niggas who think Floyd would lose in a match-up with Mayorga. If Arum was smart he set-up Mayorga v Margarito, that's at least an even match-up.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

before I could answer this one ^^^^ ...

TJ answered with this one.

I think the Mayorga that fought Forrest would have brought an intensity and a physicality to the ring that Mayweather has never seen. I don't think that Mayweather would have been able to keep a Mayorga off of him by shoulder rolling in the pocket and throwing one shot at a time. It worked against Ricky Hatton but even the smaller Hatton was able to bull Mayweather into the ropes. However, as if arguing with myself, I will bring up that Corey Spinks' fight with Mayorga might be a way to kind of imagine what would have happened but Spinks basically ran his ass off in that fight and a lot of people think Mayorga won that fight. I didn't think Mayorga deserved to lose his titles to Spinks.

I'm not sure if Mayweather would have lost, but I don't see it as some walk in the park where he just dominates Mayorga on points. I've never seen Mayweather in with a fighter that was a physical force in the ring except maybe for Jose Luis Castillo whom many say he lost to.

Spinks outboxed a brawler and showed the formula to beat Mayorga. Vargas and Forrest were good but lacked the mental discipline to stick to the game plan (and neither were as quick or defensively capable as Spinks in his day (what happened to that dude?)).
I keep seeing the Castillo fight mentioned without mention of the rematch, which Mayweather won so decisively Castillo had no interest in a rubber match. Pressure sounds good but, as he said on 24/7, he expects guys to try that tactic.

No doubt. I wish this Mosley fight could have taken place 5 years ago but on the same token, look at BHop and what he's accomplished after age 35 so it's not a forgone conclusion PBF wins this!!! The one thing I would like to see is for Shane to pull it off, at least we could look forward to more exciting challenging fights...I still believe PBF, especially if this fight is a tough nailbiting affair, may fall back into his hand picking opponents shell, especially if his undefeated record is challenged for real by this fight with Shane. Fear can make a Dude do worse things than that and I believe the fear of losing if he comes close will have any impact on his fight selection going forward...

There's no one to "cherry pick". He may get a lower level tuneup if it looks like a fight with Pacquiao doesn't happen but I see Berto on deck for the winner of Mosley-Mayweather.

On Berto, since he's not going to fight Shane Mosley, he should be giving Luis Collazo a rematch. I've heard he's looking to fight Paulie Malignaggi and that's cool, Paulie is hot right now, but he and Collazo had a Match of the Year candidate last year and could again.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
m

Say what you feel but if Williams makes a successful return to WW with no weight issues and still looks dominate...I see a WHOLE lot of interviews going like this..."I done all I need to do. I don't have nuthin else to prove. I'm retiring from the sport of boxing undefeated. My legacy speaks for itself...yada yada yada..." I'm not calling any particular boxers name or anything like that...:D

on a side note...this does smell like a hauling ass from a Martinez rematch thought! :lol::yes::smh:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
m

Say what you feel but if Williams makes a successful return to WW with no weight issues and still looks dominate...I see a WHOLE lot of interviews going like this..."I done all I need to do. I don't have nuthin else to prove. I'm retiring from the sport of boxing undefeated. My legacy speaks for itself...yada yada yada..." I'm not calling any particular boxers name or anything like that...:D

on a side note...this does smell like a hauling ass from a Martinez rematch thought! :lol::yes::smh:

Physically, Williams may be able to still make the weight (he shouldn't attempt it) who's he going to fight? He hasn't had a fight at welter in years now. Neither Mayweather, nor Mosley, nor Berto, nor Pacquiao will fight him. Cotto didn't want to fight him. They wouldn't fight him before and they won't fight him now or later.
Paul's my dude but I hope he's just talking to keep him name out there when it comes to fighting at 147. If he's serious, he's wasting his time.

Outside of Kelly Pavlik, Paul doesn't have any other real options other than Martinez. Those are the two fights Paul should make for this year.

tp2001

Star
Registered
1) I agree with Arum stuff except I would be surprised if Cotto goes back on his word about fighting Margarito again. One thing I'll say is the more fights Floyd has with Olympic testing... the more I can see the public turning on Manny.

2) The reason Oscar was able to derail Floyd's plan with jab is because Oscar was the bigger fighter and Oscar's jab has always been pretty sharp. Shane on the other hand, depends heavily on his speed and power punching. I don't think Shane has a strong enough jab to out "box" Floyd or to limit Floyd's offense, but we'll see what happens.

3) I don't anyone out boxing Floyd and in my mind the way to beat the nigga is just land a good punch on him and hurt him. I could Manny's awkward movement and speed catching Floyd off guard. I think niggas really need to analyze the Shane we have seen recent and not the fighter he used to be. I might be jumping out there, but look at the quality of fighters he has fight in the past 5 years...

Yes, Shane has looked incredible against slower brawler like Margarito, Mayorga and Vargas. If you look at the slicker boxers, he doesn't look that good against a Cotto or a Wright... He did look good against Collazo (who has proven himself to me to be a pretty good fighter), but Floyd is on another level than Collazo. I like Shane and I give the nigga mad props, but I hope we better Shane in May than what we've been seeing.

1. I would be surprised also if Cotto fights Margarito again...even if there was a promo for it with him saying that Margs can't beat him w/o plaster or something...and if it does happen, people will still go to that fight...

2. Good point as Oscar uses the jab a lot more than Shane does and has had success with it in high profile matchups, including the Hopkins fight. Shane is more of an up-close fighter and has "shorter" punches, meaning that most of them either when he is in a clinch or not that far away from the opponent...

3. Shane would have to most likely switch up his game plan to get at Floyd early, just like Zab did in the fight against him...he has to start fast because that was what gave Cotto those early rounds against him. Cotto jumped out with the jab and moved away from Mosley so he couldn't get a shot off...As far as the Winky fight (especially the first one), he got jabbed at will and couldn't get inside at all because of Wright's reach...

Disqo

Potential Star
Registered
Physically, Williams may be able to still make the weight (he shouldn't attempt it) who's he going to fight? He hasn't had a fight at welter in years now. Neither Mayweather, nor Mosley, nor Berto, nor Pacquiao will fight him. Cotto didn't want to fight him. They wouldn't fight him before and they won't fight him now or later.
Paul's my dude but I hope he's just talking to keep him name out there when it comes to fighting at 147. If he's serious, he's wasting his time.

Outside of Kelly Pavlik, Paul doesn't have any other real options other than Martinez. Those are the two fights Paul should make for this year.

Agreed, I doubt he is coming back to WW, its just a ploy to keep his name relevant. What he needs to do is rematch Martinez and then clean up at 154

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

1) I can see Margarito trying to get a rematch. There no point on Williams end to take that fight except to avoid a rematch with Martinez, but Margarito is going to be desperate for fights.

2) I can see Cotto taking the chance cause I don't see many options for him against high profile WW fighters.

3) If Clottey loses to Pacman he would definitely fight Williams.

but with all of these fights he would have to wait and see how shit pans out.

So he might as well bite the bullet and fight Martinez now, because he will be in a worse situation after a few weight fluctuations.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
1. I would be surprised also if Cotto fights Margarito again...even if there was a promo for it with him saying that Margs can't beat him w/o plaster or something...and if it does happen, people will still go to that fight...

I was thinking about this. Right now... I don't see a lot of options for dude so Cotto might take Margarito on, beat him and call out Berto or demand a rematch with Shane (if he beats Mayweather).

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I was thinking about this. Right now... I don't see a lot of options for dude so Cotto might take Margarito on, beat him and call out Berto or demand a rematch with Shane (if he beats Mayweather).

Cotto is not beating anyone anymore except maybe Foreman because Foreman is not going to be on any seek and destroy mode. Cotto will not get past Berto or Margarito because Cotto is damaged goods. Cotto is on his way to retirement and they just want to get one last good win for him that means something aka the fight with Foreman.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Cotto is not beating anyone anymore except maybe Foreman because Foreman is not going to be on any seek and destroy mode. Cotto will not get past Berto or Margarito because Cotto is damaged goods. Cotto is on his way to retirement and they just want to get one last good win for him that means something aka the fight with Foreman.

He might not beat Berto but I'll be damn if he can't beat an unpadded Margarito.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I got a question. If anotonio has all his fights in question because of the glove gate. Then how does shane escape the same questions? I think assuming anotonio is a product of cheating seems silly. He got caught but what happened to cotto happens to fighters all the time. Fighters get fucked up. It happens without peds or cheating.

I think antonio lost to shane because he fought shane @ 154. I am going to be honest. I did not watch shane against vargas or mayorga. I didnt see a point of watching him at 154. He can win but he isnt the same fighter.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I got a question. If anotonio has all his fights in question because of the glove gate. Then how does shane escape the same questions? I think assuming anotonio is a product of cheating seems silly. He got caught but what happened to cotto happens to fighters all the time. Fighters get fucked up. It happens without peds or cheating.

I think antonio lost to shane because he fought shane @ 154. I am going to be honest. I did not watch shane against vargas or mayorga. I didnt see a point of watching him at 154. He can win but he isnt the same fighter.

I'm pretty sure Shane fought Margarito at 147. Wasn't it for a welterweight title as well?

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Actually that was a typo. I meant 147. If you read I was making the point you couldn't determine what shane was about at 147. Which is why I said varagas and myorga. The reason shane beat antonio was cause he fought him at 147. To me the shane at 154 sucked ass. He would just load up on punches instead of use his vast skills. lol, the 154 was a typo dude to beer and typing on my iphone. still i stand by my point. shane at 154 isn't the shane I bother watching. At 147 that is a different matter all together.