Joss Whedon to Direct a Standalone Batgirl Movie

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
it aint my money but this is a very odd move & unprcedented
the movie is effectively done and was intended to go to streaming

if it was absolute dog shit whats the harm in dumping it in the app anyway; even if its only to have new content
they gave Synder the bag to update his flick (i know different regime) after it failed in theatres but dumped this movie so close to the finish line?
naa man DC does not need to release anymore shit movies

why release it only to be made fun of more.. it hurts the brand even more.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
They might as well stream it instead of flushing the money down the toilet

The new head is going to kill HBO Max's popularity

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
it aint my money but this is a very odd move & unprcedented
the movie is effectively done and was intended to go to streaming

if it was absolute dog shit whats the harm in dumping it in the app anyway; even if its only to have new content
they gave Synder the bag to update his flick (i know different regime) after it failed in theatres but dumped this movie so close to the finish line?
Remember WW84 was released on HBOMax and Theaters and has been the only bad movie DC in recent memory.

I have a ahort memory.
Its not. They could make money off of it then still write it off as a loss.
Naw. Because they would have made at least $100M globally once the run was over. That's not worth it. And that's being generous. It's just like stocks, I can write off the total loss of an investment.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Remember WW84 was released on HBax and Theaters and has been the only bad movie DC
merlin_168171219_f7e3c49d-1a6f-4ec8-bf4c-a8fe5a7d9eb4-superJumbo.jpg

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
Remember WW84 was released on HBOMax and Theaters and has been the only bad movie DC in recent memory.

WW84 wasn’t supposed to be realesed via HBO max
The dual release because of the pandemic and ATT at the time trying to boost the new service.

I just don’t get the point of a chucking a movie that was made for tv, spent 90 mil and is almost done

I understand the strategy at the time didn’t make sense but I don’t understand nuking a movie this far along in the process. If Netflix did this they would have almost no movies but they want content.

I think they should’ve just dropped and kept it moving

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Depends on who you ask. Consumers, yeah, they loved it. But a lot of talent and agents thought it was taking money out of their pocket. WB just wrote most of them a check before it blew up into a lawsuit like Black Widow did. Old School WB people hated that shit and a fair amount walked.

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
WW84 wasn’t supposed to be realesed via HBO max
The dual release because of the pandemic and ATT at the time trying to boost the new service.

I just don’t get the point of a chucking a movie that was made for tv, spent 90 mil and is almost done

I understand the strategy at the time didn’t make sense but I don’t understand nuking a movie this far along in the process. If Netflix did this they would have almost no movies but they want content.

I think they should’ve just dropped and kept it moving

There's still distribution fees to pay, marketing fees to pay, stakeholders to pay, licensing, etc. After you go worldwide, you could probably add an additiional $50-60 million to that 90. They can write that 90 off directly with the IRS or they can try to get extra creative with their normal Hollywood accounting. Probably would be different if it tested well but here we are.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It's about time somebody with some balls finally took a stand.

if the movie was bad cancel that shit.. they needed to do this years ago

that first suicide squad... green lantern..hell that list is long

stop releasing bad movies DC!
People can’t stop green lighting movies because studios need content for their $15 a month app.

if we’re gonna be real here: we don’t need all these damn tv shows. Was it CNET that wrote a story that we don’t need all these damn episodes?

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@ViCiouS

What does Batgirl's demise mean for Michael Keaton's return as Batman?

Gotham can be a tough town. So can Hollywood.
By Mike MillerAugust 03, 2022 at 08:59 PM EDT

Warner Bros'. shocking decision to clip Batgirl's wings after sinking $90 million into the nearly finished film leaves more questions than a ransom note from the Riddler. Among them, what will this mean for one of the movie's most highly anticipated reveals: Michael Keaton's return as Batman?
Back in December, EW learned that the actor had joined the cast of the no-longer-upcoming DC film, which was set to star Leslie Grace (In the Heights) as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, marking Keaton's first time suiting up as Batman after a 30-year hiatus. Keaton, who first played Bruce Wayne and his crime-fighting alter-ego in Tim Burton's 1989 Batman and returned for a sequel, would have become the third actor to don the cape and cowl of late, joining Ben Affleck, whose version is rumored to appear in the upcoming film The Flash (starring the embattled Ezra Miller), and Robert Pattinson, who played the Dark Knight in Matt Reeves's standalone movie The Batman.

While Keaton will no longer be making his return in Batgirl, he was also rumored to appear in other upcoming DC films as a sort of superhero mentor and wise elder, not unlike Samuel L. Jackson's role as Nick Fury in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Keaton's Batman was also apparently still getting his hands dirty, with The Hollywood Reporter noting that the character was "at the center" of a big action set piece in Batgirl.

But now, according to THR, Batgirl's downfall suggests that Keaton will have a lesser role in the DC movie universe going forward. The outlet reports that Keaton's Batman is central to the plot of The Flash, with multiple sources saying he also filmed a scene for the upcoming Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. The sequel, starring Jason Momoa as the ocean-dwelling superhero, was originally slated to open before The Flash, which was said to be the film that would explain how Keaton's Batman ended up in a universe already occupied by Affleck's Batman (short answer: multiverse!).

Michael Keaton in 'Batman'

| CREDIT: EVERETT COLLECTION
Test audiences reportedly found Keaton's appearance in Aquaman 2 "confusing," as it was unclear how his version of Batman popped up in that world. Making matters even more complicated, Momoa all but confirmed last week that Affleck was shooting a scene for the film as Bruce Wayne. It's unclear whether that came as a replacement for Keaton or if both Batmen will appear together, but the concept of dueling Batmen isn't as strange as it might sound. For instance, The Flash is based on is based on the Flashpoint comics, which see speedster Barry Allen moving so fast that he breaks the barrier of his reality and moves into parallel dimensions, opening the door for all sorts of nostalgic high jinks.

Speaking about returning to the world of superheroes at 70, a concept Keaton earned an Oscar nomination for loosely parodying in 2014's Birdman, Keaton told Jake's Takes that putting the suit back on was like "muscle memory." He added, "It was shockingly normal. It was weird. And like I went, 'Oh! Oh yeah. That's right.' But also, then you start to play the scenes and a lot of memories, a lot of really interesting sense memories [come back]."
Now with Batgirl grounded, The Flash running on thin ice thanks to Miller's legal drama, and hints of Affleck appearing in Aquaman 2, the light from Keaton's Bat-Signal seems to grow dimmer by the day. Also lost to the cut are Brendan Fraser's anticipated turn as the villainous Firefly and J.K. Simmons reprising his role as Commissioner Gordon, which he originated in Justice League.

Batgirl
directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah responded to the news that their film would be shelved Wednesday. "We are saddened and shocked by the news. We still can't believe it," the pair said in a joint statement on Instagram. "As directors, it is critical that our work be shown to audiences, and while the film was far from finished, we wish that fans all over the world would have had the opportunity to see and embrace the final film themselves. Maybe one day they will insha'Allah."
'Batgirl' Leslie Grace

They went on to thank the cast and crew for a "tremendous job" and credited them for working "so hard to bring Batgirl to life," despite the studio's alternate plans. Though they praised supporting stars as well, they singled out the film's central performer, Grace, for her contributions to the project.

"[She] portrayed Batgirl with so much passion, dedication, and humanity," they wrote. "In any case, as huge fans of Batman since we were little kids, it was a privilege and an honor to have been a part of the DCEU, even if it was for a brief moment. Batgirl For Life."

According to the New York Post, test screenings for the film were received so poorly that Warner Bros. opted not to roll the film out in theaters or on HBO Max. It was reportedly greenlit at a $70 million budget, which grew to nearly $90 million after COVID delays.

The Associated Press indicated that Warner Bros. Discovery chief executive David Zaslav shifted strategy on film releases to trim costs, after previous chief executive Jason Kilar worked to implement day-and-date releases in 2021 by opening films simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max, with Batgirl being produced solely for the subscription streaming service.

Representatives for Warner Bros. have not responded to EW's request for comment.

Last edited:

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
Look like she was about to go trick or treating with her kids.

Actually, that might make it the most believable superhero costume this century. Who the fuck is wearing skin tight uniforms?
damn near all of them...male ones especially

women too till that wonder woman feminist bullshit started..