How has the Coronavirus impacted you directly, to this point?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Dad's aunt passed away yesterday morning (she was 92yo). It was a multitude of factors that took her out. She's had multiple sclerosis for approximately 18 years. Also been battling Alzheimers / dementia in recent years. Had pneumonia a few months ago, as well as shingles. Her care facility got hit with covid earlier this fall (staff & older house residents - about 5 - 6 people there). Unfortunately people had to be displaced for additional care, etc. Everything just added up. May she rest in peace.

She would have been 93 in early-December. Hoped to get a visit in with her & some other fam' sometime next year. Other years (without covid) ... would usually visit her a few times a year, including around her birthday time in recent years. We visited her last year and about 10 fam' members (nieces, nephews, cousins & sister) showed up. She was one of 11 children - 3 of her sisters remain now.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Ya'll be smart out here and don't let any fucking one put peer pressure on you to do this or that over the holidays. Fuck what people think.

Plenty of people about to get fucked up this holiday season just because they afraid what someone will say or think about them. :smh: Friends and family are proving to be the real spreaders of this shit, so act accordingly. If they ain't from your household, let them do them.

About to spend a little more for the holidays since it's locked down, but it's still holiday season for kids. Only get one childhood. Take them to see the lights as usual while avoiding the creatures. Put the decorations up. Cook all the good food.

Be mean and stay safe. Happy COVID holidays you scoundrels. :hohoho:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Ya'll be smart out here and don't let any fucking one put peer pressure on you to do this or that over the holidays. Fuck what people think.

Plenty of people about to get fucked up this holiday season just because they afraid what someone will say or think about them. :smh: Friends and family are proving to be the real spreaders of this shit, so act accordingly. If they ain't from your household, let them do them.

About to spend a little more for the holidays since it's locked down, but it's still holiday season for kids. Only get one childhood. Take them to see the lights as usual while avoiding the creatures. Put the decorations up. Cook all the good food.

Be mean and stay safe. Happy COVID holidays you scoundrels. :hohoho:

Well said, GC. Sound advice leading into next month.

Going to be a quiet time this year compared to the past 3 years. One of the friends of the family had been hosting events with 25 - 30 people (newborn to 90+). NOT this year.

Not at all.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Arkansas sets new record for coronavirus hospitalizations
by KATV
Sunday, November 8th 2020
AA

Arkansas has set a new record for total hospitalizations, with 741 reported on Sunday afternoon. (KATV)

LITTLE ROCK (KATV) — Arkansas has set a new record for total hospitalizations, with 741 reported on Sunday afternoon. The previous record number of hospitalizations was 722 hospitalizations, on Saturday.
Health officials reported 916 new confirmed cases of coronavirus in the state with 122 probable virus cases. There are 110,932 confirmed cases of the virus in the state.

Governor Asa Hutchinson said on Twitter "There are 1,038 new COVID-19 cases in Arkansas. With yet another day of over 1,000 new cases, we are likely headed for a difficult week. Let’s all be safe and take action to protect each other. Follow the guidelines."

ADVERTISING

The number of patients hospitalized with the virus is up by 19 with 103 on a ventilator. Deaths increased by 17 to 1,907.
The health department reported 9,833 active cases and that 99,179 Arkansans have recovered from the virus.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Chicago issues stay-at-home advisory effective Monday

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced on Thursday that the city is issuing a 30-day COVID-19 stay-at-home advisory that will begin on Monday, November 16. The mayor also asked residents to “cancel traditional Thanksgiving plans” and stay indoors as cases continue to rise in the city.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
masks WORK

all masks are NOT created equal either.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If any of y’all brothers have holistic remedy’s to share please pass them along

Couple threads on that if you search

let me see if i find any...

But you already know...

Vitamin C, D3, lots of water, clean hands, social distance, leafy greens, all immune boosting foods, lots of fresh air, try to lower your diary intake, i take gary null super antioxidant, superma c high potency bioflavonoids buffered mineral ascorbates, black elderberry, colloidal silver etc

Always check with your doctor FIRST before taking anything, which is much easier nowadays with zoom and mychart etc.

Peace.

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

But you already know...

Vitamin C, D3, lots of water, clean hands, social distance, leafy greens, all immune boosting foods, lots of fresh air, try to lower your diary intake, i take gary null super antioxidant, superma c high potency bioflavonoids buffered mineral ascorbates, black elderberry, colloidal silver etc

Always check with your doctor FIRST before taking anything, which is much easier nowadays with zoom and mychart etc.

Peace.
Peace, thank you.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

But you already know...

Peace.

Good info, Playa.

A side recommendation too (re: staying safe) ... as we lead into these colder months of fall & winter. Stock up on stuff to keep you entertained at home when your spirits are down, or you're feeling bored / stir crazy. Stuff like podcasts, music, audiobooks, e-magazines, and of course TV & movies either via stream, download, or DVR'd. Stuff you'd been meaning to get around to checking out for months / years ... good way to do so now (and stay safe while doing so). It'll brighten your mood when you've got a smorgasbord of stuff to read, watch, and listen to. And hell - recommend stuff to your friends or family via email, text, or call ... been doing that more of late. Stuff you know they'll dig.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Good info, Playa.

A side recommendation too (re: staying safe) ... as we lead into these colder months of fall & winter. Stock up on stuff to keep you entertained at home when your spirits are down, or you're feeling bored / stir crazy. Stuff like podcasts, music, audiobooks, e-magazines, and of course TV & movies either via stream, download, or DVR'd. Stuff you'd been meaning to get around to checking out for months / years ... good way to do so now (and stay safe while doing so). It'll brighten your mood when you've got a smorgasbord of stuff to read, watch, and listen to. And hell - recommend stuff to your friends or family via email, text, or call ... been doing that more of late. Stuff you know they'll dig.

This is EXCELLENT ADVICE!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
This is EXCELLENT ADVICE!

Thanks man. Yeah - also forgot to mention for people with cable / digital plans ... check out stuff On Demand. Good way to tackle old series you never got around to on HBO, Showtime, AMC, Showcase, whatever.

I remember asking my mom back in the spring how she occupied her days, and she jokingly noted it was like a circuit. Eat something, go outside, do some gardening, come back, do a puzzle for a bit, listen to a CD or podcast, watch a show, cook something, exercise, etc. She said it was monotonous, but at least she was safe & sound and following the rules.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered

IMDATDUDE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Crazy how this thing can pick and choose. My grandma sister(my aunt) who is over 100 years old recovered from covid with no problem. This white dude from my hometown who is consider a hometown hero(great athlete in highschool, and stayed in town to become a firefighter) is fighting for his life I think he around 42, 43. Dude also big into Crossfit from what I hear. So maybe he has something going on he didn't even know about

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Crazy how this thing can pick and choose. My grandma sister(my aunt) who is over 100 years old recovered from covid with no problem. This white dude from my hometown who is consider a hometown hero(great athlete in highschool, and stayed in town to become a firefighter) is fighting for his life I think he around 42, 43. Dude also big into Crossfit from what I hear. So maybe he has something going on he didn't even know about

Glad to hear she was able to recover, and that's unfortunate re: the local guy in his 40s battling.

My mom's bf's mom just turned 100 a year and change back. They're making sure she's staying safe & sound.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If any of y’all brothers have holistic remedy’s to share please pass them along
Take various hot showers a day( make sure you take a lot of deep breaths while inhaling that steam)

consume lots of water daily

go outside daily and get some fresh air..take deep breaths and take in that fresh air

you can also drink lemon water

hot teas

take ginger mixed with lemon shots

have soups and stews

think positive and try to laugh a lot

also exercising or even going for a walk regularly should be good for you

consuming fruits

stay away from euros if you can or take lots of precaution when you around them(face mask, be as far as you can, try not to make contact, try not to touch anything they touch or immediately clean hands or any other parts of skin that they might have infested)

believe it or not I know double digits of people that caught covid and I helped nurse pretty much all of them back to health using these same remedies.. most healed up within a week or less.. age bracket between late 20’s to early 40s... most in good shape... common symptom lost of taste(none ever had that symptom in their life) + other symptoms that varied from pain, headaches, bad coughs, weakness, other flu like symptoms, etc... also they all work or had to be around cacs at some point

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
How to Avoid a Surprise Bill for Your Coronavirus Test
Get tested at a public facility. Question what services are being provided. And know your rights under federal law.
By Sarah Kliff
  • Nov. 13, 2020

A mobile testing station on Staten Island in New York City.Credit...Stephanie Keith for The New York Times
More Americans are getting tested for coronavirus than ever before — and that could mean more surprise medical bills.
Congress wrote rules in March that aimed to make coronavirus testing free for all Americans. Patients, with or without insurance, have found holes in those new coverage programs. They’ve faced bills that range from a few dollars to over $1,000.
I’ve spent much of the past four months collecting patients’ bills related to coronavirus. As part of that project, I’ve read through more than 100 patient stories about coronavirus tests. Many patients are happy to report no charge at all, while others have been billed large unexpected fees or denied claims related to coronavirus tests.
[Have a bill you want to share? Submit it here.]
The surprise bills have hit uninsured Americans as well as those with robust coverage. The health data firm Castlight estimates that 2.4 percent of coronavirus test bills leave some share of the charge to consumers, which means there could be millions of patients facing fees they did not expect.
ADVERTISEMENT
Continue reading the main story

These are some simple steps you can take to lower your chances of becoming one of them.
If you can, get tested at a public site
Many states, counties and cities/towns now have public testing facilities. Very few patients have reported surprise medical bills from those testing sites (although it’s not impossible). You can typically use your state health department website to find public testing options.
If a public test site isn’t an option where you live, you might consider your primary care doctor or a federally qualified health clinic. The largest surprise coronavirus test bills I’ve reviewed tend to come from patients who are tested in hospitals and free-standing emergency rooms. Those places often bill patients for something called a facility fee, which is the charge for stepping into the room and seeking service.

• The election. And its impact on you.
Special offer: Subscribe for $1 a week.

Patients are finding that these fees can pop up even when they don’t actually set foot in the facility. Multiple patients at one Texas emergency room had $1,684 facility fees tacked onto their drive-through coronavirus tests. A patient in New York faced a $1,394 charge for her test at a tent outside a hospital. The majority of the bill was the facility fee. The investigative news site ProPublica has reported on how facility fees can sometimes cost as much as 10 times the coronavirus test itself.
If you get your test at a primary care provider, or at a public test site, you shouldn’t have to worry about that type of billing. They typically do not charge facility fees for coronavirus tests or any other types of care.
Ask your provider what they’ll bill you for
When patients receive a surprise medical bill related to a coronavirus test, the charges they face often are not for the test itself. Instead, they are for other services that the patient may not have known about.
Editors’ Picks
When It Comes to Living With Uncertainty, Michael J. Fox Is a Pro
How I Got Caught Up in a Global Romance Scam
Scientists Destroyed a Nest of Murder Hornets. Here’s What They Learned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Some of those services make sense. Many bills for coronavirus tests have fees for the doctor visit that went along with it. Others make less sense, like the ones that include screenings for sexually transmitted diseases that have nothing to do with coronavirus. Those extra fees appear to be a bit more common in emergency rooms, or when health providers send their samples to outside laboratories. But they can happen at public testing sites, too: One Connecticut doctor regularly tested patients for dozens of illnesses at a town drive-through. The patients thought they were simply getting coronavirus tests.
To avoid those extra charges, ask your provider what diseases they will screen for. It can be as simple as saying: “I understand I’m having a coronavirus test. Are there any other services you’ll bill me for?” Having a better understanding of that up front can save you a headache later, and you can make an informed decision about what care is actually needed. If your providers can’t tell you what they’ll bill for, that may be a signal you want to seek care elsewhere.
Uninsured? Ask your doctor to bill the government, not you
Uninsured patients have faced coronavirus bills upward of $1,000, according to billing documents reviewed by The New York Times.
That type of billing is legal: Health care providers are not required to provide free coronavirus tests to Americans who lack health insurance. But they do not necessarily have to bill patients directly. The federal government has set up a provider relief fund: Health providers can seek reimbursement for coronavirus testing and treatment provided to those without coverage. Once again, it pays to ask ahead of time how providers handle uninsured patients and whether they submit to the fund. Unfortunately, they are not required to do so — and could continue to pursue the debt.
You should also be aware that 17 states have authorized their state Medicaid plans to cover coronavirus test costs for uninsured Americans. This means your state government can pay the bill instead of you. You can find out if you live in one of these states here.
The Coronavirus Outbreak ›
Words to Know About Testing
Confused by the terms about coronavirus testing? Let us help:
    • Antibody: A protein produced by the immune system that can recognize and attach precisely to specific kinds of viruses, bacteria, or other invaders.
    • Antibody test/serology test: A test that detects antibodies specific to the coronavirus. Antibodies begin to appear in the blood about a week after the coronavirus has infected the body. Because antibodies take so long to develop, an antibody test can’t reliably diagnose an ongoing infection. But it can identify people who have been exposed to the coronavirus in the past.
    • Antigen test: This test detects bits of coronavirus proteins called antigens. Antigen tests are fast, taking as little as five minutes, but are less accurate than tests that detect genetic material from the virus.
    • Coronavirus: Any virus that belongs to the Orthocoronavirinae family of viruses. The coronavirus that causes Covid-19 is known as SARS-CoV-2.
    • Covid-19: The disease caused by the new coronavirus. The name is short for coronavirus disease 2019.
    • Isolation and quarantine: Isolation is the separation of people who know they are sick with a contagious disease from those who are not sick. Quarantine refers to restricting the movement of people who have been exposed to a virus.
    • Nasopharyngeal swab: A long, flexible stick, tipped with a soft swab, that is inserted deep into the nose to get samples from the space where the nasal cavity meets the throat. Samples for coronavirus tests can also be collected with swabs that do not go as deep into the nose — sometimes called nasal swabs — or oral or throat swabs.
    • Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR): Scientists use PCR to make millions of copies of genetic material in a sample. Tests that use PCR enable researchers to detect the coronavirus even when it is scarce.
    • Viral load: The amount of virus in a person’s body. In people infected by the coronavirus, the viral load may peak before they start to show symptoms, if symptoms appear at all.

To challenge a surprise bill, know your rights under federal law
New federal laws regulate how health providers and insurers can bill patients for coronavirus tests. Understanding how they work can help you push back on charges that may not be allowed.
The new laws state that health insurers must cover coronavirus tests without any cost to the patients. This means that standard deductibles and co-payments you’d face for other services do not apply.
ADVERTISEMENT

SIGN UP FOR THE UPSHOT NEWSLETTER: Analysis that explains politics, policy and everyday life, with an emphasis on data and charts.
Those laws also require insurers to cover any other services that are necessary to get the coronavirus test, but doesn’t define what makes the cut. Most experts agree that a doctor visit fee is a pretty clear example of a service that ought to qualify, and that patients facing those types of bills ought to appeal to their insurer for coverage. Other services, like a flu test or even an X-ray conducted alongside a coronavirus test, present a murkier situation. If you’re facing fees like those, you might want to enlist your doctor to tell the insurer why the additional care was needed.
One last thing to know about the federal laws is that they require insurers to fully cover out-of-network coronavirus tests. This can be especially important for patients who go to an in-network doctor but unknowingly have their sample sent to an out-of-network laboratory, a situation I’ve seen many times. Your health plan’s typical rules for out-of-network care should not apply to the coronavirus test. They can, however, be applied to other parts of the test experience (the doctor visit fee, for example), so it is safer to stick with in-network providers whenever possible.
Receive an unexpected bill? Medical codes could be the culprit
One other issue to look for is what billing codes your doctor used for the test visit. Many of the surprise bills I’ve reviewed involve a doctor charging a visit fee, then sending the test to an outside laboratory that submits its own claim. The health plan might apply a co-pay to the doctor’s visit because it’s not clearly linked in billing records to the coronavirus test. In this case, you may need to work with your health provider to get your visit recoded to show a coronavirus test occurred.
Tell us what happened to you. It helps our journalism.
Nearly everything I know about coronavirus test billing comes from reading the bills that hundreds of Times readers have sent describing their experiences. If you receive a bill related to coronavirus testing and treatment, we ask that you take a moment to submit it here. It will help me continue to report on the types of fees patients face, and can help identify areas of the country where patients are facing unusually high fees.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Lost my job back in June./July due to COVID related cut backs. Happy to report that I was just offered a job to start in mid-December.

Have been home for the last five months and submitted like 300 resumes and applications, barely got any calls. Our savings have been taking a hit.

Then two days after the election, the flood gates opened.

Since Election Day, I've had 12 interviews so far. Still waiting to hear from two other places about offers that may come in, but damn, job hunting during a pandemic AND recession sucks!!

Happy that I'll be working to end the year and start 2021 off fresh in a new place.

Maxxam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I've lost 3 family members and 4 friends. My cousin just passed 2 days ago from something unrelated but there probably wont even be a funeral due to gathering limits. My mom spent almost of a third of this year in the hospital and a rehab facility... couldn't visit of course.

I've done 2 zoom funerals. Couldn't do anymore.

Fuck everybody who voted for that clown and refuses to do the basics... it didn't have to be this way