How has the Coronavirus impacted you directly, to this point?

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I was making $25-$30 an hour doing bike deliveries for UberEats. Now that the drivers aren't making any money they've all become couriers and the company slashed the rates.

Tonight I made $36 in 2 1/2 hours. They were literally offering me $5.00 to go from downtown to Haight/Ashbury which could take up to 30 minutes by bike. Offered me an additional $1.50 if I made a mile-and-a-half detour. Two places they sent me to weren't even open.

It's normal for courier companies to cut rates during different times of the day and year, but less than minimum wage during a dinner rush is completely unheard of. especially for a job that is dangerous at the best of times and requires you to spend a lot of your own money to keep going.

Now that they bought out Postmates though I have a feeling this is only going to get worse.

Hopefully the state opens up enough next month that I can DJ the weddings I've already booked. hoping these other parties in July that I can't really speak much on happen as well. Hoping that the camping trip I took with my son last weekend doesn't kill either or both of us.

Sorry to bitch, but this is really fucking with me right now.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
That's why i kept saying in the other thread why Canada> here

I was making $25-$30 an hour doing bike deliveries for UberEats. Now that the drivers aren't making any money they've all become couriers and the company slashed the rates.

Tonight I made $36 in 2 1/2 hours. They were literally offering me $5.00 to go from downtown to Haight/Ashbury which could take up to 30 minutes by bike. Offered me an additional $1.50 if I made a mile-and-a-half detour. Two places they sent me to weren't even open.

It's normal for courier companies to cut rates during different times of the day and year, but less than minimum wage during a dinner rush is completely unheard of. especially for a job that is dangerous at the best of times and requires you to spend a lot of your own money to keep going.

Now that they bought out Postmates though I have a feeling this is only going to get worse.

Hopefully the state opens up enough next month that I can DJ the weddings I've already booked. hoping these other parties in July that I can't really speak much on happen as well. Hoping that the camping trip I took with my son last weekend doesn't kill either or both of us.

Sorry to bitch, but this is really fucking with me right now.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
That's why i kept saying in the other thread why Canada> here

it's more a matter of companies taking advantage of a crisis in the worst possible way. They got them in Canada too.

and let's be real. There is no way in hell I would ever make $25 to $30 an hour as a bike courier anywhere in Canada. Even if I could the weather wouldn't hold up.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
You'd be a lot safer first of all

it's more a matter of companies taking advantage of a crisis in the worst possible way. They got them in Canada too.

and let's be real. There is no way in hell I would ever make $25 to $30 an hour as a bike courier anywhere in Canada. Even if I could the weather wouldn't hold up.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I spent 9 days in the hospital. Suffered kidney failure, have been on dialysis since my April hospital stay. Lost over 60lbs, developed temporary neuropathy in my feet that caused me to need a walker for over a month. Have Covid related pneumonia, lost my sense of taste and smell for over 2 months. Was told to quarantine for 6wks instead on 2. Ended up quarantining from April until the last week of June when I took my fifth Covid test, it was negative. Wife had to take over everything. Luckily I had pretty much everything on autopay up to date or paid in advance and we were not hurting. Thank GOD because it took 6wks to get thru to unemployment. I now suffer from an unknown back ailment that none of the doctors can figure out and the pain spreads to my legs and makes it hard to walk. In addition, I sometimes burst into a ridiculous sweat when I am not hot and I can barely feel air conditioning.
All the doctors that treated me, came to see me my last day in the hospital and they all told me they had expected me to die. My nephrologist asked if they could publish the findings from my kidney biopsy because apparently I was the first or one of the first patients to suffer kidney failure and then have his kidneys produce blood clots, and then have my own body attack my kidneys.
I had a falling out with family because certain ones are staunch Trump supporters (and we are all black) and told me I wasn't sick, and that they hope I enjoy my eternal damnation in Hell for allowing a Democrat to hypnotize me into believing I am actually sick.
My PCP says I might be able to return to work in October

HOLY.....SHIT.....FAM..... :eek2:

mimicman

Star
BGOL Investor
Jesus man. You probably have some nerve damage too. Fuck that , draw disability man. You’ll get it. Glad you made it out the critical situation! Best of luck to you!
I am not quite ready for disability just yet. Short term is squarely in my sights. Hopefully I'll be off dialysis in a month or two. My job has already offered me an desk job to keep me off the floor and to stay off my feet more

Cannibal

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I spent 9 days in the hospital. Suffered kidney failure, have been on dialysis since my April hospital stay. Lost over 60lbs, developed temporary neuropathy in my feet that caused me to need a walker for over a month. Have Covid related pneumonia, lost my sense of taste and smell for over 2 months. Was told to quarantine for 6wks instead on 2. Ended up quarantining from April until the last week of June when I took my fifth Covid test, it was negative. Wife had to take over everything. Luckily I had pretty much everything on autopay up to date or paid in advance and we were not hurting. Thank GOD because it took 6wks to get thru to unemployment. I now suffer from an unknown back ailment that none of the doctors can figure out and the pain spreads to my legs and makes it hard to walk. In addition, I sometimes burst into a ridiculous sweat when I am not hot and I can barely feel air conditioning.
All the doctors that treated me, came to see me my last day in the hospital and they all told me they had expected me to die. My nephrologist asked if they could publish the findings from my kidney biopsy because apparently I was the first or one of the first patients to suffer kidney failure and then have his kidneys produce blood clots, and then have my own body attack my kidneys.
I had a falling out with family because certain ones are staunch Trump supporters (and we are all black) and told me I wasn't sick, and that they hope I enjoy my eternal damnation in Hell for allowing a Democrat to hypnotize me into believing I am actually sick.
Just read an article this morning surround the blood clots that were found in people who died from Covid-19 complications. They said in many, blood clots were found in most of the organs and also in both the larger and small blood vessels. Your issue with your back and all that might stem to blood clots in various places. But hey, enough playing web doctor. Glad you're better.

Keepthapeace

well-known lurker
BGOL Investor

At the end of the day... There will be options to attend or virtual home school. Home schooling is draining and parents can't do it and hold a 9 to 5. But since the system fck'd us who knew an con man and idiot with a high level of white privilege can make matters as about as bad as it can get under a pandemic, we must just take the L when whites are okay with their kids getting sick from a school virus with higher percentage to die from it.

There should be a separate "black assistance fund" for those households chosing to remain home and online teach while unemployment is out and or need supplement.

Also, there should be an online "African-American curriculum" available to parents to enrich African-American history on-line into the curriculum by their current schools they otherwise wouldn't get during a normal school year.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Sickle Cell Disease Brings Higher Risk of Coronavirus Death, But Inconsistent Treatment
BY LUCA POWELL JUL 14, 2020, 8:20PM EDT

When COVID-19 arrived in New York City, Tartania Brown became scared.

She had good reason: Brown is immuno-compromised due to sickle cell disease, a genetic blood disorder that affects about 100,000 Americans, most of them Black.

By July, Brown had heard of two local friends with the disease who had contracted COVID-19. One was still recovering after two months in the intensive care unit at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan. The other had passed away.

“I’m still scared,” said Brown, who is a palliative care physician at the Metropolitan Jewish Health System in Brooklyn.

Her concerns have only recently been acknowledged by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In late June, the CDC added sickle cell to a growing list of underlying conditions that put people at a higher risk for severe COVID-19-related complications.
Months before, hematologists had warned of overlap cases being potentially fatal.

The New York State Department of Health does not track sickle cell cases and their outcomes. But recently published crowdsourced data has corroborated those fears, suggesting heightened fatality rates for sickle cell patients who contract COVID-19.

The issues go much further, advocates, doctors and patients say, for the roughly 10,000 people living with sickle cell in New York State, the second-highest cluster of the disease of any U.S. state behind Florida. Roughly 85% of those with sickle cell in New York live in the city, experts say.

Across the city, sickle cell patients without COVID-19 have also been struggling to refill life-saving prescriptions and get needed transfusions while in quarantine. Others find themselves avoiding medical offices to lessen the chances of coronavirus infection.

Layers of Risk

Early data, collected nationwide by a collaboration of hematologists at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, indicate a 7% mortality rate among patients with sickle cell who contract COVID-19. Roughly 20% experienced “severe” to “critical” versions of the disease.
The data was published in a July 8 study, whose authors called the findings “alarming,” particularly in comparison to case-fatality rates in the population-at-large.

Patients with the sickle cell can suffer from periods of intense pain when malformed blood cells move throughout the body. These “sickling” episodes can also cause multisystem organ damage over a lifetime. As a result, the disorder predisposes patients to other underlying conditions on the CDC’s list, such as chronic kidney disease.

One group of hematologists expressed “significant concern” of increased complications should sickled blood cells flow into lungs affected by COVID-19. The event, known as Acute Chest Syndrome (ACS), can be fatal on its own.

“In theory, it should be deadly,” said Dr. Thomas Moulton, a hematologist who has long advocated for greater awareness of the blood disorder in New York City. “Sudden death has always been a part of sickle cell disease because of Acute Chest Syndrome.”

Read the stories of some who died from the coronavirus — and help THE CITY tell the stories of thousands more.

The CDC has yet to comment publicly on the timing of the update to its list, which already included other preconditions like serious heart conditions, obesity and Type 2 diabetes. The CDC did not respond to THE CITY’s requests for comment.

Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx has treated 40 patients — the majority of them adults — who had both COVID-19 and sickle cell, said Dr. Caterina Minniti, director of Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Health System’s Sickle Cell Program.

Four of those patients died at Montefiore. A larger dataset compiled by Montefiore that includes cases reported from Mount Sinai as well as hospitals in Boston, Detroit and Chicago bears out a similar mortality rate — close to 10%. None of them, Minniti said, has been taking Hydroxyurea, a drug that reduces both frequency of painful crises and the need for blood transfusions.

Increase in Deaths Reported

Whether a sickle cell patient dies from COVID-19 may also depend on whether they have access to doctors experienced with the disorder’s many side effects.

“You have to consider, this is a rare disease. So what happens is that a smaller hospital — their knowledge is going to be much less, just by default,” Minniti said. “I do think that smaller hospitals may have difficulty in providing comprehensive and tailored care patients with sickle cell disease need.”

Minniti also noted a higher mortality rate in sickle cell patients overall. By June, Montefiore doctors had already seen as many sickle cell deaths as they normally see in a full year, she said.

‘Could it be that they had painful episodes and then they just never called us?’

The correlation is still unclear, but doctors like Minniti are uneasy with what they still don’t know, in part because of a decrease in visits by sickle cell patients since the pandemic erupted.

For blood disorders like sickle cell, an inability to receive a transfusion can be dangerous on its own: The blood of patients who postpone transfusions can turn anemic, making them susceptible to a heart attack or stroke.

Dr. Abena Appiah-Kubi, a pediatric hematologist at Cohen’s Children’s Medical Center in Queens, said that many hospitals had noticed a drop in appointments made by their sickle cell patients.

“I don’t know if there were patients that could have had [COVID-19] and we just never knew about them,” Appiah-Kubi said. “Could it be that they had painful episodes and then they just never called us?”

Called a ‘Faker’

Ginger Davis, who has sickle cell and works with the Sickle Cell Thalassemia Patients Network in Brooklyn, said that sickle cell patients were “paranoid” when the pandemic arrived in New York.

“We spent a lot of time trying to soothe people, trying to calm them down,” said Davis, who called the CDC’s early failure to add sickle cell to the underlying conditions list “egregious.”

Health advocate Ginger Davis (left) takes part in a City Hall event on sickle cell disease treatment. John McCarten/New York City Council
Patients were already wary of hospitals, Davis said. Many report experiencing discrimination by hospital staff who suspect them of faking their pain.
“I’m never gonna forget the first time I was called a faker. I was still in pediatrics,” said Aisha Braimah, 33, who lives in The Bronx.

In April, she experienced “unbearable” chest pain, which turned out to be coronavirus. Braimah was treated for 11 days at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, one of the few hospitals she trusts, she said.

“We wait and wait and wait — and we refuse to go to the hospital because we don’t wanna be mistreated,” Braimah said. “I honestly believe it’s one of the reasons why we die so much.”

‘A Very Scary Time’

Both diseases have disproportionately impacted New York’s Black communities. Black people are dying of COVID-19 at twice the rate of white people in the city and they are 24 times more likely to suffer from sickle cell disease compared to white people.

“I don’t even think people remember us,” said Anthony Guobadia, who is Black and has sickle cell disease.

“It’s one of the most prominent diseases affecting the Black community,” added the retiree, who was a doctor in Haiti and a physician assistant in the U.S. “They just, as usual, just ignore it. It’s a kind of racism when it comes to sickle cell.”

Dr. Tartania Brown at work Courtesy of Dr. Tartania Brown

Tartania Brown said she struggled to get a blood transfusion for months, relying on a cache of extra pain medication. In June, she received her first transfusion since the pandemic began.

“It was like we were left in the wind,” Brown said. “Through March you were stuck. The doctors weren’t really trying to see us — they shut the hospitals down unless you had COVID. People were struggling — really bad — with the disease, with managing pain and complications.

“It was a very scary time.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
since i've been the only guy in my building (other than security in the lobby) and everyone else working remotely, i get so much free time to focus on daytrading. making more money doing that than my actual salary. made close to 7k this week alone. i guess Covid has its privileges.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Thankfully some close calls that were avoided. One of the local facilities that treats people in recovery after hospital discharge has experienced some outbreaks in recent months. A number of deaths. Turns out it’s the same place one of my best friends rehabbed at for 2 months a few yrs back after staying in hospital for a few weeks post-stroke. He had a speech therapist helping him relearn everything from scratch. He was already in a tough place after suffering a brain injury decades back.

This same place also treated my manager’s mother earlier this year after she recovered from major surgery. Fortunately she wasn’t impacted either as the consequences could have been deadly.

Condolences to the families of the victims and staff members there in recent months. A challenging job as is, let alone during a pandemic.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Thank you for sharing your story. Continued best health and recovery wishes your way.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I've been working from home since March along with my husband. Toddler has been with us too. My family, who has been safely quarantining in NOLA, is visiting with me now. Been here almost 2 weeks, and we're all healthy, including my 76 year old mother (praise God.) I'm happy for family visiting because it's broken up the monotony of my days/weeks. Tough not really having time for myself or for just hubby and I, but we're making the best of it. We're supposed to be trying for another baby this month, but I'm worried with everything going on.

Glad to hear the family is well. Thankful of that here too with local fam’ and older relatives out of province and in the States. Gonna see my mom next week. Last saw her in mid-December.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Thankfully some close calls that were avoided. One of the local facilities that treats people in recovery after hospital discharge has experienced some outbreaks in recent months. A number of deaths. Turns out it’s the same place one of my best friends rehabbed at for 2 months a few yrs back after staying in hospital for a few weeks post-stroke. He had a speech therapist helping him relearn everything from scratch. He was already in a tough place after suffering a brain injury decades back.

This same place also treated my manager’s mother earlier this year after she recovered from major surgery. Fortunately she wasn’t impacted either as the consequences could have been deadly.

Condolences to the families of the victims and staff members there in recent months. A challenging job as is, let alone during a pandemic.

Here's the place ...

mimicman

Star
BGOL Investor
Thank you for sharing your story. Continued best health and recovery wishes your way.
Thank you. Trying not to go to the hospital tonight. Temp is down from 102.6 to 100.4. Trying to wait another hour before I take my temp again. Out of nowhere I bust out in a teeth chattering chill. Got under the heated blanket. Body hurting, head hurting, feet hurting. I swear I don't to put my family thru this shit again. Now I am sweating profusely with the blanket off and the fan on...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Thank you. Trying not to go to the hospital tonight. Temp is down from 102.6 to 100.4. Trying to wait another hour before I take my temp again. Out of nowhere I bust out in a teeth chattering chill. Got under the heated blanket. Body hurting, head hurting, feet hurting. I swear I don't to put my family thru this shit again. Now I am sweating profusely with the blanket off and the fan on...

Be safe. Take good care & hope things improve for you soon.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Ok, temp down to 96.8. Head and body still hurting going to wait a bit. If the headache does not go away, wife already told me she is taking me back to the hospital. Fingers crossed

Thanks for keeping us posted. Props to your wife. Glad to hear your temp' has come down from 102.6 to 96.8 over time. Hopefully the headache lessens / subsides.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I guess I should share my experience.

Also share the other side, since there's a lot of fear out there which isn't good for the psyche. There's no in-between in stories I read where people are either on their death beds in the hospital or don't have symptoms.

I probably have it, had it, whatever

I'm waiting on the results, which are backed up. They said 5 to 7, but I think it's going to be 7 to 10 days. My 14 days will be up before I get my results.

I was in good shape before, one of those people who gets sick rarely. Had a physical in February, worked out consistently prior to everything shut down, so I was never really scared of getting it. Which is why I still was going to the gym. I always felt it was inevitable the way things are going with the world.

but besides a random lingering cough I'm fine

Already took multi vitamins, added elderberry and vitamin d prior.

I noticed a had a slight random sore throat out of the blue. That was probably my first symptom. Woke up the next morning fatigue and sore. It was the day after leg day, but it was whole body soreness. I ended up taking my temp and had a fever(101). The next morning was even more fatigue and soreness. I was "working" and was so tired I had to immediately go back to bed. I ended up sleeping another six hours. I woke up feeling a lot better, the fever was still there, but the following morning I had a slight fever, but by the middle of the day I felt pretty close to normal. So I felt sickish and had a fever I guess for two and a half days. I can't ever say I really felt bad, besides being fatigued and the soreness. It wasn't strep throat bad for my throat or cough, just random.

Haven't had a fever in seven days, feel fine besides the random cough. Fatigue gone.

Been quarantined trying to be responsible and not going around people or family, eager for my return. :dunno:

So if you think you have it, you should monitor your symptoms, but your first thoughts shouldn't be of death.

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
I guess I should share my experience.

Also share the other side, since there's a lot of fear out there which isn't good for the psyche. There's no in-between in stories I read where people are either on their death beds in the hospital or don't have symptoms.

I probably have it, had it, whatever

I'm waiting on the results, which are backed up. They said 5 to 7, but I think it's going to be 7 to 10 days. My 14 days will be up before I get my results.

I was in good shape before, one of those people who gets sick rarely. Had a physical in February, worked out consistently prior to everything shut down, so I was never really scared of getting it. Which is why I still was going to the gym. I always felt it was inevitable the way things are going with the world.

but besides a random lingering cough I'm fine

Already took multi vitamins, added elderberry and vitamin d prior.

I noticed a had a slight random sore throat out of the blue. That was probably my first symptom. Woke up the next morning fatigue and sore. It was the day after leg day, but it was whole body soreness. I ended up taking my temp and had a fever(101). The next morning was even more fatigue and soreness. I was "working" and was so tired I had to immediately go back to bed. I ended up sleeping another six hours. I woke up feeling a lot better, the fever was still there, but the following morning I had a slight fever, but by the middle of the day I felt pretty close to normal. So I felt sickish and had a fever I guess for two and a half days. I can't ever say I really felt bad, besides being fatigued and the soreness. It wasn't strep throat bad for my throat or cough, just random.

Haven't had a fever in seven days, feel fine besides the random cough. Fatigue gone.

Been quarantined trying to be responsible and not going around people or family, eager for my return. :dunno:

So if you think you have it, you should monitor your symptoms, but your first thoughts shouldn't be of death.
Did you get tested or do you want to get tested, though?