Floyd Mayweather comes off vacation to face Vicious Victor Ortiz for $40 mill

tp2001

Star
Registered
I don't remember him ducking any fights. When he left Arum, the planned Cotto and Margarito fights were off and he went to fight Oscar, the biggest payday in boxing.

I...thank...you.

:wepraise: :wepraise: :wepraise:

Why do so many people overlook the business of boxing (especially in the present day)? We have never seen Mayweather fight any boxer that I know of that is under Arum's stable and with the exception of Mosley, no one from Golden Boy has fought anyone under Top Rank...Relationships in boxing can make or break fights...I was surprised that B-Hop fought Taylor with that creep Lou DiBella promoting Taylor...you saw who reacted the most after the decision in the first fight...

And the thing about Tito...In hindsight he was made to lose to Hopkins and Wright. A good jab and defense to fluster Tito does him in. They made the adjustments to his game and Trinidad had no answer for it.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Ballooning up to over 200 pounds between fights didn't help either. Vargas could have been really good. He gave Winky a very good fight though I felt he lost, and he absolutely schooled Ike Quartey who Oscar went life and death with. He was much too young to be thrown in there with Tito and his corner shouldn't have waited so long to stop the fight.

If we put every fighter that gets hyped up under a microscope to really look at their careers.... :smh:

Vargas was alright, but at his very best, he would have only been really good.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
You're forgetting that Vargas was an offense genius/beast and then the steroids fucked him up...

I didn't forget. I'm not saying Vargas wasn't good but when you're (not you)telling me Tito was knocking out world class fighters and deserved to be the favorite against Bernard Hopkins, I need to see his resume again because I didn't believe it then and I don't now.

And I like Tito, did then, do now.

You're not kicked out, A. Just on probation.:D But watch out, looks like TJ's trying to get your spot:lol:.

Ballooning up to over 200 pounds between fights didn't help either. Vargas could have been really good. He gave Winky a very good fight though I felt he lost, and he absolutely schooled Ike Quartey who Oscar went life and death with. He was much too young to be thrown in there with Tito and his corner shouldn't have waited so long to stop the fight.

Shit like that is the difference between great fighters and good fighters. How many times have we heard about guys that do that and how many of them are able to sustain a certain level of greatness? Vargas, Jermain Taylor, Ricky Hatton, Riddick Bowe. All had good runs but they fucked themselves with their lack of dedication and end up ranked between guys they beat.

Most def. I'm just saying he never lived up to his potential.

:yes:

bdot54

wannabe star
Registered
mayweather is taking a tough fight, its true mayweather seems to fight people who won their last fights, where as manny fights losers of their last fights. manny is to big a star to fight peolple who are not coming off of wins

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I didn't forget. I'm not saying Vargas wasn't good but when you're (not you)telling me Tito was knocking out world class fighters and deserved to be the favorite against Bernard Hopkins, I need to see his resume again because I didn't believe it then and I don't now.

And I like Tito, did then, do now.

You're not kicked out, A. Just on probation.:D But watch out, looks like TJ's trying to get your spot:lol:.

I was joking about Vargas.. I'm in full agreement with you.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Lol, really nobody can see how Tito was considered a favorite over BHOP when they fought? Who was on BHOP's list of victims? Echols, an aging simon brown and mercado were names I can remember. Hell, a very green glen johnson were BHOP's victims. None of them were p4p canidates when the were in the ring with him. And Tito's victims were Osca, Vargas, Reid, and Sweet Pea. I think Tito's had every reason with his performances to be the favorite when they fought.

Lol, probation.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Lol, really nobody can see how Tito was considered a favorite over BHOP when they fought? Who was on BHOP's list of victims? Echols, an aging simon brown and mercado were names I can remember. Hell, a very green glen johnson were BHOP's victims. None of them were p4p canidates when the were in the ring with him. And Tito's victims were Osca, Vargas, Reid, and Sweet Pea. I think Tito's had every reason with his performances to be the favorite when they fought.

Lol, probation.

I didn't say "nobody can/could" I'm saying no one should have.
Oscar was not a victim and Whitaker was old and well faded.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
I'm not on the C/S Crew Jokers!!! I was just clowning around.. No Probation for me!! :lol:

Thinking about this though, when I was considering fighters Floyd beat in their Primes, I can only conclude that Genaro Hernandez (RIP), was a true borderline A-B Level Star?!?!?! Castillo, while giving Floyd fits in their first fight, I truly believe Floyd was caught on an off night, and the rematch sort of validates that.

Who has he fought that were considered A-B Level stars, while they were in their primes?

And as far as Vargas goes, I believe he was fed to the Lions much later in his development than David Reid! I believe the issue with Vargas was immaturity as a fighter, not knowing or being able to adjust his game when he was fighting a fighter who was better than he was at what he did best (Both Oscar and Tito)... He was already washed when Shane got to him IMO>..

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Explain to me how BHOP should have been the favorite. What in his resume made you think he deserved to be the favorite?

Skill vs Resume... haven't we chopped it up about this, over and over again. Winky before Mosley is the prefect example of how that works.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered

Lol, probation.

Actually, if I remember correctly TIto was considered the favorite in that fight... which is what had BHop so pissed during the pre fight promotions. Hind site is 20/20 and looking back you can make an argument for BHop being the favorite, but Tito was look upon as a destroyer going into that fight, even at Middleweight, going on the strength of the ass whipping he'd just put on William Joppy...

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Actually, if I remember correctly TIto was considered the favorite in that fight... which is what had BHop so pissed during the pre fight promotions. Hind site is 20/20 and looking back you can make an argument for BHop being the favorite, but Tito was look upon as a destroyer going into that fight, even at Middleweight, going on the strength of the ass whipping he'd just put on William Joppy...

Media hype vs real boxing heads... cause there were so many people around here who thought Berto was the truth and could beat Floyd.

Edit: Just to clarify. I mean in my hometown.

Last edited:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I'm not on the C/S Crew Jokers!!! I was just clowning around.. No Probation for me!! :lol:

Thinking about this though, when I was considering fighters Floyd beat in their Primes, I can only conclude that Genaro Hernandez (RIP), was a true borderline A-B Level Star?!?!?! Castillo, while giving Floyd fits in their first fight, I truly believe Floyd was caught on an off night, and the rematch sort of validates that.

Who has he fought that were considered A-B Level stars, while they were in their primes?

And as far as Vargas goes, I believe he was fed to the Lions much later in his development than David Reid! I believe the issue with Vargas was immaturity as a fighter, not knowing or being able to adjust his game when he was fighting a fighter who was better than he was at what he did best (Both Oscar and Tito)... He was already washed when Shane got to him IMO>..

Yeah. That seems like a logical viewpoint. I can't knock it. The bold is what I'm answering now. Ricky Hatton. Hatton was in his prime. But he was also coming of a very bad looking debut at a new weight class. Which made him more appealing to PBF. So he did beat a guy that made a hall of fame fighter quit. Just now at the weight class everyone knew he was comfortable fighting at. But that is ricky's fault for agreeing to a fight at that weight. And I think he made Chico fight at a different weight too. But we all know dude was thinking about jail and not the fight. Not to mention that was over a decade ago.

Last edited:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

That's what I remember too. But somehow struggling with antwan echols and them made BHOP the clear favorite over Tito. Funny.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Vargas was already washed up by the time he got to Oscar. Actually, Vargas was washed up as soon as the fight with Tito was over. Once I saw Vargas get hurt and go life and death with fuckin Shibata Flores, I knew it was over. I don't think Oscar would have beaten the pre-Tito Vargas. Vargas was ripped on the roids against Oscar but was so stiff and robotic. He was actually a smoother boxer when he was not all ripped like that. If he would have been all stiff and robotic like he was with Oscar, he would not have lasted until the 12th with Tito IMO.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
That's what I remember too. But somehow struggling with antwan echols and them made BHOP the clear favorite over Tito. Funny.

I think Tito was justifiably the favorite in the fight. Tito was spectacular at junior middle (his best weight IMO) and took 160 by spectacularly the way he demolished Joppy, a natural middleweight. Even the natural middle Hopkins could not take Joppy out like that and this was even after Tito softened Joppy up.

Tito was awesome because he just brought excitement and fought with a very entertaining bravado combined with very textbook skills. I have to control myself when I start talking about Tito because to me he was the near perfect orthodox fighter. He was like a welterweight version of Joe Louis. Anyway, I thought Hopkins would have to use his natural middleweight size advantage over Tito to win but he actually used more smarts and that was commendable.

Hopkins obviously studied the hell out of Tito because every time Tito set up for the left hook, Hopkins would grab him or neutralize him in some way. Hopkins never had to take Trinidad's best punches and was defensively effective albeit ugly. I can't even remember why I'm writing this.

tp2001

Star
Registered
cause there were so many people around here who thought Berto was the truth and could beat Floyd.

Edit: Just to clarify. I mean in my hometown.

In your hometown??!! Really???

My message to them would be that gif of Coming To America with those barbers laughing...Times 10 :D :D

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

My message to them would be that gif of Coming To America with those barbers laughing...Times 10 :D :D

I don't think anyone in their right mind would think Berto would beat PBF. Shit most people can't even recall three fights that dude had.

tp2001

Star
Registered
I don't think anyone in their right mind would think Berto would beat PBF. Shit most people can't even recall three fights that dude had.

Damn...you know what? I'm a boxing fanatic and I can't even recall three fights...only two of them :D

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

Yeah these cat at the barbershop that will catch a fight or two of a boxer on HBO and that's it. They see Floyd highlights were he is dodging shots and think he can't fight. They see Berto knock out a bum with his first punch and think he is a beast. Try to tell them anything, they act like they know the sport. Try to tell any of these cats that Marquez could beat Pac and these niggas try treat you like you are a complete idiot. It doesn't matter what happened in the past. Pac looked good when he KO Hatton so that's what they are running with...

People ride with the cat with the impressive KO's cause they know very little about the sport even in the media. It is so hard to find people in the media that know the sport... they may know the fighters and have no clue about the mechanics or they will say anything to sell a fight. Next PPV you cop that you know is a not even close as to who is the better boxer.... watch the beginning, all the experts they line up to hype up the bum.

Motherfuckers who don't know any better are always suckered by these things.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

You're just refusing to read or think at this point. I know Tito was the favorite. I know why Tito was the favorite. I'm saying he shouldn't have been.

I think Tito was justifiably the favorite in the fight. Tito was spectacular at junior middle (his best weight IMO) and took 160 by spectacularly the way he demolished Joppy, a natural middleweight. Even the natural middle Hopkins could not take Joppy out like that and this was even after Tito softened Joppy up.

Tito was awesome because he just brought excitement and fought with a very entertaining bravado combined with very textbook skills. I have to control myself when I start talking about Tito because to me he was the near perfect orthodox fighter. He was like a welterweight version of Joe Louis. Anyway, I thought Hopkins would have to use his natural middleweight size advantage over Tito to win but he actually used more smarts and that was commendable.

Hopkins obviously studied the hell out of Tito because every time Tito set up for the left hook, Hopkins would grab him or neutralize him in some way. Hopkins never had to take Trinidad's best punches and was defensively effective albeit ugly. I can't even remember why I'm writing this.

He beat up Joppy at 160 but really, who the fuck was William Joppy ever? He was decent in his day but don't shit on Demarcus Corley and tell me beating up William Joppy is a major win.
You're exactly right. Tito was exciting and quite good but I couldn't see how they thought he would beat a guy like Hopkins at Hopkins natural weight.
Watching the build up for it with the highly volatile press conferences convinced me that Hopkins would beat him because it looked like Hopkins was getting in his head.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You're just refusing to read or think at this point. I know Tito was the favorite. I know why Tito was the favorite. I'm saying he shouldn't have been.

He beat up Joppy at 160 but really, who the fuck was William Joppy ever? He was decent in his day but don't shit on Demarcus Corley and tell me beating up William Joppy is a major win.
You're exactly right. Tito was exciting and quite good but I couldn't see how they thought he would beat a guy like Hopkins at Hopkins natural weight.
Watching the build up for it with the highly volatile press conferences convinced me that Hopkins would beat him because it looked like Hopkins was getting in his head.

Actually, I'm not high on William Joppy. I thought this guy was beyond crappy and I couldn't understand how he was even winning fights. Anyway, Tito's victory was impressive because he had just stepped into middleweight and for all his faults Joppy was at least sturdy. This win put Tito at #2 pound for pound on most lists and fans went crazy and were saying "Roy Jones Ur Next". That shows you the kind of cloak of invincibility Tito had at the time. I think Hopkins' natural size advantage allowed him to successfully employ his plan to neutralize Trinidad's left hook. Without that size advantage, Tito probably would have been able to blast through Hopkins or throw him off when Hopkins would try to tie up.

patscorpio

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

really what bernard did joppy was worse than what tito did to him....tito blasted him out spectacularly yes but we can't act like bernard didn't give him a severe beating over 12 rounds...joppy's head was on "martin vs tommy hearns" status...i thought that dude was going to die in the ring

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Damn...you know what? I'm a boxing fanatic and I can't even recall three fights...only two of them :D

I could always recall Quintana, Urango, and the Collazo fights because those were the fights where Berto seemed to be falling off. Coincidentally, all three guys were southpaws. Stylistically, Berto could never handle southpaws but his handlers seemed to have a death wish on his career. I knew that if they kept feeding him southpaws that one would eventually get him. Berto has never looked less than spectacular against other right handed fighters.

I am still not convinced that Mayweather would beat Berto because Mayweather never fought him. I think Mayweather wants people to believe he would have just beaten these guys anyway just because they lost to someone else. That way he can just continue to be inactive whenever he wants and let the other fighters knock each other off.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Actually, I'm not high on William Joppy. I thought this guy was beyond crappy and I couldn't understand how he was even winning fights. Anyway, Tito's victory was impressive because he had just stepped into middleweight and for all his faults Joppy was at least sturdy. This win put Tito at #2 pound for pound on most lists and fans went crazy and were saying "Roy Jones Ur Next". That shows you the kind of cloak of invincibility Tito had at the time. I think Hopkins' natural size advantage allowed him to successfully employ his plan to neutralize Trinidad's left hook. Without that size advantage, Tito probably would have been able to blast through Hopkins or throw him off when Hopkins would try to tie up.

You got to laugh sometimes. Who was Joppy? Who was any of the cats BHOP beat before Tito. Dude is steady cracking me up. Tito did everything to deserve to be the favorite. There is not one damn thing to suggest to anyone on the freaking planet he should not have been. The beautiful thing about the Tito fight was simply. A dude that decided to take another route to greatness and waited for his time. Showed up against a beast that was everything he wasn't. BHOP proved he was the man when he got the chance. He did not run or hide. He seized the moment. It was a beautiful thing to see. And if he was the favorite it would not have been so special.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I don't know why you would think that. HBO has been showcasing Berto for a while. A lot of people have watched him more than other recent boxers. I know a few people who thought he could beat both Pac and Floyd amd have said they both are ducking him. Yall must not be around these casual fans like I am. I hear the craziest shit.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Agreed with all points.

You got to laugh sometimes. Who was Joppy? Who was any of the cats BHOP beat before Tito.

Not arguing that point but Joppy shouldn't be put up like a major victory over a world class boxer.

Dude is steady cracking me up. Tito did everything to deserve to be the favorite. There is not one damn thing to suggest to anyone on the freaking planet he should not have been. The beautiful thing about the Tito fight was simply. A dude that decided to take another route to greatness and waited for his time. Showed up against a beast that was everything he wasn't. BHOP proved he was the man when he got the chance. He did not run or hide. He seized the moment. It was a beautiful thing to see. And if he was the favorite it would not have been so special.

I gave you reasons why Hopkins should have been the favorite. I picked him then and I was right. Some things are a matter of perspective but I hadn't seen anything to suggest Tito would beat Hopkins. I didn't think he would be dominated but I figured he would lose. Tito was flashy and had the machine behind him but he wasn't the type of fighter to beat Hopkins.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I don't know why you would think that. HBO has been showcasing Berto for a while. A lot of people have watched him more than other recent boxers. I know a few people who thought he could beat both Pac and Floyd amd have said they both are ducking him. Yall must not be around these casual fans like I am. I hear the craziest shit.

Wow. Pac and Floyd were ducking him?:lol::lol:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Wow. Pac and Floyd were ducking him?:lol::lol:

The shit is wild. That and the comment section on a lot of these articles are crazy too. Boxing one of the few sports were casual fans run shit. I'm not a big basketball fan, but I catch a few games... I wouldn't even think try argue about that sport cause you can any where and find people who really know the game. They don't play that shit.

It is rare to bump into random people who know anything about boxing, but they have opinions out the ass about this shit like "Pac, Floyd or Berto should be fightin RJJ" and any discussion always comes back to Roy, Tyson or Ali.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
The shit is wild. That and the comment section on a lot of these articles are crazy too. Boxing one of the few sports were casual fans run shit. I'm not a big basketball fan, but I catch a few games... I wouldn't even think try argue about that sport cause you can any where and find people who really know the game. They don't play that shit.

It is rare to bump into random people who know anything about boxing, but they have opinions out the ass about this shit like "Pac, Floyd or Berto should be fightin RJJ" and any discussion always comes back to Roy, Tyson or Ali.

:lol::lol::lol: