Breaking... Warner Bros entire slate of 2021 films to be released same day on HBOMAX .. Holy Shit

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
Movie theaters here are open... the fancier ones have movable plexiglass between the seats so you can stay with your party while enjoying the movies

I'll still go but I will remain as cautious as ever. Although I do love the convenience of watching the movies at home, some things just need a movie theater experience

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
I'm confused, and this is mostly because of how HBO Max is just confusing in general. So when these new movies are released in theatres is Warner saying they will be released on HBO Max like a PPV option like how Disney+ charged $30 to watch Mulan? Or are they saying when these movies are released in theaters, if you have an HBO Max subscription you can watch them outright, no extra charge.

Somehow that doesn't sound like it makes financial sense, unless Warner shorted AMC stock or something. It's like a bootleg MoviePass situation.

no extra charge. the movies will be included with hbo max for no additional charge.

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OK HBO Max is $17 a month?

hmmm...

they gonna have to ADJUST that.

If they want folks to just SUBSCRIBE and forget it?

$12 may be much more reasonable.

Cause that number makes real easy for me to just go to the basement.

Nope that's the price for the change...

Can't produce 100 and 200 million dollar movies on $12 subscriptions...

That's the reason Netflix raised their prices once they became content creators...

TheAlias

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I don't know of any movies coming out I want to see, and I don't do theaters regardless. I have an HBO subscription though, and I used the Roku app to see series and stuff outside the regular programming times until they made changes and it no longer worked. My cable provider doesn't have all the content or even all the recent shows available as on demand, and I don't care to watch content on my pc/phone/tablet so I watch it on my tv.

Same. I'm looking for the full HBOMax capabilities on the Roku.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I don't know of any movies coming out I want to see, and I don't do theaters regardless. I have an HBO subscription though, and I used the Roku app to see series and stuff outside the regular programming times until they made changes and it no longer worked. My cable provider doesn't have all the content or even all the recent shows available as on demand, and I don't care to watch content on my pc/phone/tablet so I watch it on my tv.

^^^^

EXACTLY WHAT I AM HEARING FROM MANY...

So I am REALLY wondering what the endgame for HBO Max is at this point

you getting subscribers angry at HBO

NOT ROKU

this seems stupid.

UNLESS HBO MAX had THIS planned all along and knew THIS would make Roku break open the bank.

Cause if not?

All they doing is ENCOURAGING bootlegging.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They should lower it to $10 a month and make all new releases $20-$40 each. But these companies are greedy so..... ...

I hear you but remember that Mulan sh*t aint work for disney+

now it wasn't a FAILURE but it was FAR from a success...

I don't know what the price should be but $17 is too damn high

ESPECIALLY if it isn't available on all the streaming services

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I think you may be right this will likely only last for 2021. But I think 2022 people are going to want to be out of the house.
Theaters are more for the experience similar to going to games in the stadiums. So I think theaters will always be around for that reason.

I do think lower tier movies would do better as a digital platform vs being in the theater

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I UNDERSTAND HBO not wanting HBO max content on competitors platforms

but that's WHAT IT IS NOW

they ALREADY releasing DC WB content on THERE

so why do this?

Pennyworth is on EPIX, Sandman gonna be on another service too

So just let these rival platforms PAY YOU

Mavrel did it with Netflix

it only HELPED.

its shortsighted sh*t like this that is a dark foreshadowing on how these streaming apps gonna fail.

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Theaters are more for the experience similar to going to games in the stadiums. So I think theaters will always be around for that reason.

I do think lower tier movies would do better as a digital platform vs being in the theater
I agree in a way but millennials are in the netflix and chill culture. I do think though after this pandemic people are going to want to be out of the house for entertainment.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Nope that's the price for the change...

Can't produce 100 and 200 million dollar movies on $12 subscriptions...

That's the reason Netflix raised their prices once they became content creators...

I hear you butI don;t know...

Amazon and Disney+ hit that sweet spot to become STAPLES already.

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member
I'm confused, and this is mostly because of how HBO Max is just confusing in general. So when these new movies are released in theatres is Warner saying they will be released on HBO Max like a PPV option like how Disney+ charged $30 to watch Mulan? Or are they saying when these movies are released in theaters, if you have an HBO Max subscription you can watch them outright, no extra charge.

Somehow that doesn't sound like it makes financial sense, unless Warner shorted AMC stock or something. It's like a bootleg MoviePass situation.

I may be completely off on this, but the way that I understand it to work is the film companies sell the movie to theatres, and the theatres make their money by selling tickets. I don't think film companies get a share of the ticket price. The movie companies in this case perhaps figured it's more profitable to sell to the streaming sites under different terms.

I will research it some more.
If anyone has additional insight or a better understanding of this process, please elaborate.