Breaking: PRINCE DEAD AT 57

Mt Airy Groove

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Shit was Hot, black people are still playing instruments. I'm praying musicianship comes back to the mainstream.

HNIC :guitar02:

Here's another short one where she plays Let's Work at the 1:08 mark. I wish she would do a full 20 minute medley of Prince songs.

rNubb

Rising Star
Registered
As a fan of Prince music its hard for me to admit but the truth to the matter both Prince and Michael died at the right time and the right way... Lets face it you wouldn't want to see them old, with a stroke, in a wheel chair, not able to remember or talk well, nor would you want them dying while they were too young and in their prime..
Plus it seems that neither suffered and at least they still where who they were at the time of deaths..
With Prince at least we got to see him age well, mellowing out and becoming wiser, and still be able to help so many people while providing us with so much music...
If you cant get it now, trust me years from now you will, and in the scheme of things I think this is what both would have preferred...:cool:

All those artists are older than Prince and MJ.

They are still supposed to be here. They both had too many real demons in their private lives. Whitney too.

algreen.jpg

gladysknight_8col.jpg

maze-detail.jpg

eddie-levert-2010-10-19.jpg

Chaka%20Khan-MSA-014009.jpg

princeprince

Rising Star
Registered

Pro Shot - Hiliights - Prince talking to the sound guys, some killer solos on the strat, great sound, very intimate show and in happy mode, tells dude don't take pictures of him, and to hear one of his best bands at 32 minute mark - you will see why Blackwell in my opinion was the best drummer he employed as he and renato improv

Band Prince (vox, guitar), John Blackwell (drums), Rhonda Smith (bass), Renato Neto(keyboards)

Under The Cherry Moon (instrumental)
Dreamin' About U (instrumental)
When Lay My Hands On U
Journey 2 The Center Of Your Heart
The Sun, The Moon And Stars
Sometimes It Snows In April (instrumental)
When The Lights Go Down
Love U, But Don't Trust U Anymore
She Spoke 2 Me
In A Large Room With No Light
Sweet Thing w/ Chaka Khan
Insatiable - Scandalous - The Beautiful Ones - Nothing Compares 2 U

Last edited:

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
That was a good interview. Who knew Diana Ross and Gene Simmons dated? Or that Diana Ross and Cher were BFFs. I barely remember Micki Free from Shalamar, but based on his look back then he would fit right in with Mazeratti.

Peace Daw,

All that was well known public info. It was in all the celebrity rags. It was all across Entertainment Tonight.

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered

Pro Shot - Hiliights - Prince talking to the sound guys, some killer solos on the strat, great sound, very intimate show and in happy mode, tells dude don't take pictures of him, and to hear one of his best bands at 32 minute mark - you will see why Blackwell in my opinion was the best drummer he employed as he and renato improv

Band Prince (vox, guitar), John Blackwell (drums), Rhonda Smith (bass), Renato Neto(keyboards)

When Lay My Hands On U
When The Lights Go Down
She Spoke 2 Me

Peace P x 2,

Nice drop!

princeprince

Rising Star
Registered
Prince Playing Awesome Piano, this is from the rare live feeds - just watch as he gets zoned out for like 2 minutes, nothing like the piano show, but more like if he did an after show at the piano

princeprince

Rising Star
Registered
That time they said prince couldn't rock out. LONDON This came on BET back in the day: Hilights: Peach and plenty of Mayte. Yellow Cloud, Prince on Marshall Amps Great Quality, Guitar Tone racks up there as one of his best next to small club bootleg, band was tight, Mayte Stage dive and you see Prince get distracted , looses guitar pick, pushes the band out the way and slams guitar down

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

questlove 1st i chuckled cause well...---ok it's been a min since I saw The Source but after I pondered ----yeah it made sense: 1) came from troubled home 2) limited access to music forces him to create his own world of music 3) Overcame Poverty 4) creates fictional background tales to keep the press guessing 5) lives by the DIY creed 6) takes fashion taboos & makes them mainstream and acceptable 7) cock blocks & steals yo lady on the low (ask Rick) 8) puts his crew on---get them deals & makes them stars 9) pretty much wrote the book on gettin some better than any of his contemporaries 10) had beef w his peers who hated on him 11) invented the remix (not disco edits, but reimagining the album version) 12) played mystery card---let us think what we wanted---gave the press middle finger 13) ghostwrote for everyone 14) used mad aliases 15) refused 2 b ordinary & eschewed the proper English language as a ways 2 communicate 16) knew the B side wins again and again 17) used the exotic honey to his advantage 18) used his music to give his views on the po po, politicians, gun control, war, god, squares & "the man" 19) turned a long music video into a revolution 20) best drum machine programmer ever 21) used synthesizers as a way of life 22) could make an entire album in less than a week 23) balled so hard in Paris & other parts of France---so he made a film about it. 24) cut his crew off and got a new crew. 25) went all hippie like it was nothing. 26) made dis records 27) never wifed em, mostly replaced em 28)started his own label 29) Parental Advisory was invented because of him 30) made a Black Album w a chip on shoulder to prove to black people he was still bad. 31) plays sports better than u 32) had mad songs in the stash 33) had an MTV mansion/compound long before anyone did 34) changed looks constantly 35)dropped music on the net in record time 36) looked out for his peeps on the low doing benefits and raising money like a modern day Robin Hood 37) tries taking on the man for his complete freedom 38) couldn't tell him NOTHING 39) always escaped into thin air 40) left us way too early #PrinceRogersNelson#HipHopPioneer. @TheSource.

Mt Airy Groove

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Pro Shot - Hiliights - Prince talking to the sound guys, some killer solos on the strat, great sound, very intimate show and in happy mode, tells dude don't take pictures of him, and hear one of his best bands at 32 minute mark - you will see why Blackwell in my opinion was the best drummer he employed as he and renato improv

totally agree with this. I wish he kept this band along with Morris Hayes and a horn section. 3rd Eye Girl was ok, but I preferred the jazz-funk sound that Mr Blackwell, Renato, Rhonda, Hayes and the horn section provided.

princeprince

Rising Star
Registered

questlove 1st i chuckled cause well...---ok it's been a min since I saw The Source but after I pondered ----yeah it made sense: 1) came from troubled home 2) limited access to music forces him to create his own world of music 3) Overcame Poverty 4) creates fictional background tales to keep the press guessing 5) lives by the DIY creed 6) takes fashion taboos & makes them mainstream and acceptable 7) cock blocks & steals yo lady on the low (ask Rick) 8) puts his crew on---get them deals & makes them stars 9) pretty much wrote the book on gettin some better than any of his contemporaries 10) had beef w his peers who hated on him 11) invented the remix (not disco edits, but reimagining the album version) 12) played mystery card---let us think what we wanted---gave the press middle finger 13) ghostwrote for everyone 14) used mad aliases 15) refused 2 b ordinary & eschewed the proper English language as a ways 2 communicate 16) knew the B side wins again and again 17) used the exotic honey to his advantage 18) used his music to give his views on the po po, politicians, gun control, war, god, squares & "the man" 19) turned a long music video into a revolution 20) best drum machine programmer ever 21) used synthesizers as a way of life 22) could make an entire album in less than a week 23) balled so hard in Paris & other parts of France---so he made a film about it. 24) cut his crew off and got a new crew. 25) went all hippie like it was nothing. 26) made dis records 27) never wifed em, mostly replaced em 28)started his own label 29) Parental Advisory was invented because of him 30) made a Black Album w a chip on shoulder to prove to black people he was still bad. 31) plays sports better than u 32) had mad songs in the stash 33) had an MTV mansion/compound long before anyone did 34) changed looks constantly 35)dropped music on the net in record time 36) looked out for his peeps on the low doing benefits and raising money like a modern day Robin Hood 37) tries taking on the man for his complete freedom 38) couldn't tell him NOTHING 39) always escaped into thin air 40) left us way too early #PrinceRogersNelson#HipHopPioneer. @TheSource.

I disagree 100%

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Prince’s Own Liner Notes On His Greatest Hits
When Prince’s first greatest hits collection was released, Prince made private comments as a guide for the liner notes. Later briefly posted on his website thedawn.com in 1996, Prince’s comments have been lost for the last 20 years, but now provide a rare first-person insight into how he saw some of his most famous songs.

princeprince

Rising Star
Registered
Rare: Prince Aftershow: hilight - him doing 911 with Falvor Flav on the bass, the sound quality does not do this after show justice

Jboogiee

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

When Lay My Hands On U
When The Lights Go Down
She Spoke 2 Me

Yeah those sound guys we're pissing him off...I'm glad he called them out and I agree with you on John Blackwell. He's a heavy hitter and rates high in my book,he currently plays with Bootsy's Rubber Band.
This show was the 3rd of 3 shows he did that night promoting Lotus Flower in L.A.
1st show was a hits show,2nd show was a trio show with Sonny T. & Michael Bland and this was the last show of the night. 3 shows,3 diffrent lineups,3 diffrent venues.

Great drop!

Mt Airy Groove

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This show was the 3rd of 3 shows he did that night promoting Lotus Flower in L.A.
1st show was a hits show,2nd show was a trio show with Sonny T. & Michael Bland and this was the last show of the night. 3 shows,3 diffrent lineups,3 diffrent venues.

Great drop!

This explains why his vocals are a little off. Still a great show. Does anybody have any video or recordings of the Sonny T & Mike B show?

Mt Airy Groove

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Revealed! The truth about what really happened when Prince jammed with Miles Davis
http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/revealed-truth-really-happened-prince-jammed-miles-davis-77011

Were you there when Prince jammed with Miles Davis?
“I’ve got to tell you, I kind of was the midwife in that. Not that they wouldn’t have got together anyway, because I already was aware of Miles’ interest in Prince’s music. Prince was into quite a bit of Miles’ music also. I think they saw a lot of each other in their music. When I realized that Prince was reaching out to Miles to maybe do something, I made damn well sure I was going to be somewhere when that happened!

“The actual reality is that Prince and Miles were never in a recording studio together. That never happened. We did a track for Miles, for possible inclusion on what would have been Miles’ first Warner Bros album, Tutu. Prince decided that he didn’t think it was appropriate to be included on that album. He asked Miles not to include it and Miles agreed. Miles did overdub trumpet to it, but he did it on his own; Prince was nowhere around him when that happened. Finally, when we listened to that track, Prince came to me and Matt Blistan [trumpet] and asked my opinion of it. If Prince was going to ask me that, that meant Prince was not 100% sure it was that great. I agreed with him. I said, ‘If you’re going to do something with Miles, this shouldn’t be it.’ And he agreed.

“So we did a concert at Paisley Park. It was a New Year’s Eve, 1987. It was an invitation only performance. Miles was a guest and came on stage with us and played with us on one of the songs. To my recollection and to the best of my knowledge that is the only time Miles and Prince were in a space together performing. They became friendly and certainly stayed in communication with each other.

“Several years later, Miles asked Prince to produce some other tracks for him on a subsequent album. Prince was at that point extremely busy doing other things and was just not able to do that. Prince actually came to me and asked me to do a couple of tracks for Miles. I told Prince, I said, ‘Prince, Miles isn’t asking me to do a couple of tracks with him! He wants to go in the studio with you!’ He said, ‘I know! I just can’t see me doing that right now.’ I said, ‘Look, I’ll be more than happy to go in the studio and cut some tracks’ – which I ended up doing, but I have no idea whether those tracks were sent to Miles or whether he ever heard them. I really have no idea what happened to them. Obviously, I was very complimented! I had come to know Miles a bit, which was something of a dream come true.”

Mt Airy Groove

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
An interesting interview with Eric Leeds.
you can read the whole article here: http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/musi...eve-he-meant-to-grow-old/stories/201604240165

Did you ever know anyone who could record an entire album by themselves?

From what I understand, Stevie Wonder did. If you go back to early articles on Prince about Stevie Wonder, the reference was obvious. I understand that when they first brought him to the attention of Warner Bros. Records, they hyped him, saying, “This kid could be the next Stevie Wonder.” At that time, the ability to play all those instruments and with the depth he did… He was known as an iconic rock guitar player, that’s a given. The instrument I used to love listening to him play more than anything was bass. I had a lot of opportunity to hear him play the other instruments to a degree that others did not, at jam sessions and long soundchecks. Before Paisley Park was built, for the first several years, when I was working with him, we would do most of our recording in LA at Sunset Studios. So it wouldn't be unusual for Matt and I to be out in LA for weeks at a time. He would block out a studio for maybe a month, and we’d be in there almost every day. There were times when we would go in with just him and Wendy and Lisa, and it was not unusual for us to go into the studio late at night with him for hours. We would just jam and he would float between instruments, and those were the opportunities when you really got to hear Prince play.

I remember in the ’88 tour, you guys were just jumping from one song to the next without stopping, or barely even finishing a lot of them.

It was a non-stop thing, and I always found one of the most interesting aspects were the transitions he would write and segues from one to another. Occasionally, we would work on things for several hours and sometimes he would just throw up his hands and say, “Oh, that didn't work. I'm going home, I'll see you all tomorrow,” and then he would come back in the next day with a whole new fresh set of ideas about how to approach the same issue. It was very enjoyable to just sit and watch the creative process unfold. And then we would run through the show a couple times a day for months.

Aside from the music, what was the lifestyle like in the band? Were there rules? Was it like a party as it went along? What was the backstage atmosphere? I know you would hit clubs a lot after.

Yeah, we would do that occasionally. Try to keep a perspective on it that when you're out on the road on a rock ’n’ roll tour, a top-tier recording artist, when you’re on a tour like that, it’s Disneyland. It's not real. I was on the road with Billy Price for four years with seven of us in a van, driving up and down the East Coast, playing one-nighters, where we're driving 250 miles a day to get to the next gig. You get to the gig, you play the gig, you're playing three or four sets, you go to some cheesy-ass motel where you’re doubling up in a hotel room. You get up the next morning and you get to the van and you do it all over. THAT’s being on the road. In Prince, you’re staying in four- and five-star hotels, we all had our own rooms, sometimes they were mini-suites. Basically, by the time we hit the road, we had the music so completely ingrained in us that we could play it in our sleep. And for something like the Lovesexy Tour, which was a theatrical presentation, you really had to know it that well. The last thing we had to think about was “Oh my god, I hope I don’t make a mistake.” By then, it was pretty much a machine. All I had to worry about was being in the hotel lobby at lobby call. It might be noon. Everything else is taken care of. You get in the van, you get driven to the gig. Matt and I go to our dressing room, our cases with our horns are already there. So all we have to do is get them out of the case, warm them up, find a good reed, and then know that within the next hour Prince is going to get there and we're going to start the soundcheck that will last anywhere from an hour to two hours, depending on what kind of mood he's in. We finish the soundcheck, go back to our rooms, have dinner and chill out. Our stage clothes are brought to us by the wardrobe department. We change clothes, we hit the stage, we do the gig. That’s what it’s like. Once were on the road like that, we really don't see Prince until we get to the venue. There was a level of professionalism in every aspect, and everybody knew exactly what their role was. So it was Disneyland. He was an absolute professional. This was a guy that no matter what the situation was, whether it was rehearsal for a gig or a jam session or whatever, you knew that if you were called to be there at a certain time, that Prince was going to be there before we were and Prince was probably going to be the last one to leave. That engenders not only a sense of professionalism, but the fact that this guy is for real when it comes to that. This guy isn't going to phone it in just because he's the boss.

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I see the pinned thread has moved down. I've dreaded this day. When the thread is no longer pinned, that will be the final farewell and I'm not quite ready.

princeprince

Rising Star
Registered
I see the pinned thread has moved down. I've dreaded this day. When the thread is no longer pinned, that will be the final farewell and I'm not quite ready.

im droppin gems daily.

New Classics: Prince Colonized Mind - a song that predicted what we have going on political today off of one of my top 10 album LotusFlower, hi lights - Prince was in the moment for this very personal song, great guitar fills and the solo JUST wait on it OH MY, there is a proshot of this off an overseas site I can't seem to find - If Hendrix lived this is what I believe he would have made and sounded like, the brilliance of this track is him playing the fills, lead lines, and the solo at about 5:20 on his orange srat , dudes outfit is on point also

HNIC

Commander
Staff member
The thread stays pinned as long as there is activity. The thread position only fluctuates in position among the other pinned/stuck threads.

HNIC

ugk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jesus man.. every time I see a new clip of Prince, he's jamming a different guitar I never seem before