Soul Legend Clarence Carter Dead at 90

​




MAIN clarence carter Getty


Getty


Clarence Carter -- the legendary blind soul singer behind countless R&B classics -- has died at 90.


Rodney Hall, president of FAME Studios in Alabama, confirmed the news to Rolling Stone ... after Hall spoke with the family of singer Candi Staton, Carter's ex-wife, who said the icon passed away Thursday.


Carter had recently been diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer and was also battling pneumonia and sepsis.


The soul legend spent more than six decades in music, becoming known for his unmistakable baritone voice and steady run of R&B hits throughout the late '60s and '70s.




sub clarence carter getty


Getty


Among his biggest tracks were "Strokin'," "Slip Away," "Too Weak to Fight" and "Patches" -- the latter earning him a Grammy nomination for Best R&B Song in 1971.


Carter was 90.


RIP






Rest in peace Mr. Clarence Carter. I'll never forget the first time I heard. "Stroking". I was 19 years old.
 
First time I heard of him was "Strokin" because it got a lot of play on The Box. That was the late 80s. It got a little play in the 90s.
There was a time during 1987-88 after the Redskins won the Superbowl, local radio (WDJY 100.3 I think) had someone remix his song "Patches" in dedication to Doug Williams called "Pocket."
He had a good run.
 
Was he "Strokin"when he died?

Did
he make that young lady say .....


Clarence Carter

Clarence Carter

Clarence Carter

Clarence Carter


Ooooooooooooooohhhhhh!!!!!
 
wow.png
The age I am now is about how old Mr. Carter was when I first heard his song, "Stroking". The man was dropping hit songs the year I was born.
 
Back
Top