Baseball.........Anybody still interested?

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member
@jack walsh13

DAMN METS :smh:

yo these white boys are wilding!!!

Another former Mets employee, Ryan Ellis, accused of sexual harassment
By Brittany Ghiroli and Ken Rosenthal

Three women who either worked for or had previously been employed by the New York Mets approached the team in 2018 about the behavior of hitting performance coordinator Ryan Ellis, The Athletic has learned.

The women spoke to The Athletic and detailed Ellis' conduct, which included telling them that “I stare at your ass all the time” and that he wanted “to put her up against a wall,” along with other inappropriate language. Despite the allegations from the three women in 2018, Ellis remained with the organization until last month.

Shortly after the Mets fired general manager Jared Porter for sending dozens of harassing text messages to a female reporter, the team parted ways with Ellis, who had been serving as the team's major league hitting coordinator.

The Mets addressed Ellis’ exit in a statement to The Athletic, saying they received new information regarding his conduct. “We immediately commenced a new investigation and terminated the employee on January 22,” the statement read.

When the organization was asked about measures taken against Ellis following the complaints made in 2018, the Mets said Ellis was disciplined, including “probationary status” and counseling.

In addition to Ellis and Porter, former Mets manager Mickey Callaway has been accused by five women of sexual harassment.

Read more in the Go Deeper section below.

thats why none of the marquee free agents want to come to the mets

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
thats why none of the marquee free agents want to come to the mets
Nope. That's why Trevor Bauer spawned them.

YV0sKF.jpg

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Fernando Tatis Jr. Owes A Shitload Of Money To An Investment Fund That Paid Him An Advance As A Minor Leaguer
Dante2/19/2021 2:40 PM

The Padres Owe Fernando Tatís Jr. $340 Million. He Owes an Investment Fund Millions From His Payday.

As an 18-year-old, Fernando Tatís Jr. made a deal with Big League Advance, which advances pay to minor league players in exchange for a slice of their MLB earnings. Now it’s time to pay.
WSJ
WSJ - Fernando Tatís Jr. was 18 years old, just a low-level prospect from the Dominican Republic trying to work his way up in the San Diego Padres farm system, when he made a financial deal that would impact his entire baseball career. And it wasn’t with the Padres.
Tatís signed a contract with Big League Advance, an unusual investment fund that pays minor-league players money up front in exchange for a share of their future MLB earnings.

Tatís, now 22 and widely viewed as one of the sport’s best young stars, today knows what those earnings will be. He agreed to a record-setting 14-year contract with the Padres on Wednesday night worth an eye-popping $340 million, the third-highest total in MLB history.
His new contract also creates a significant obligation for Tatís: to pay a sizable chunk of his new bounty—perhaps close to $30 million—to Big League Advance.

Big League Advance began raising money in 2015 and made its first investment in a player in 2016. The company’s founder and CEO, Michael Schwimer, is a University of Virginia graduate who pitched in 47 games for the Philadelphia Phillies in 2011 and 2012.

Investors in Big League Advance include Cleveland Browns executive Paul DePodesta and Marvin Bush, the son of the late President George H.W. Bush. Schwimer says the company has invested more than $150 million in nearly 350 players so far, none more prominent than Tatís. Many of them never played in the major leagues at all.

Big League Advance’s average pact with players is for around 8%. In the case of Tatís, that would add up to $27.2 million. Representatives for Tatís declined to comment.

“It’s 2021, and this is the first time we’ve seen it pay off in an actual way instead of a theoretical way,” said Schwimer, who turned 35 on Friday. “We’ve been living in a theoretical world for a while, and this is the first real move for us.”
Before the accusations that I'm a communist and hate capitalism (like Eddie) start getting thrown around here, let me preface this that I am not, and do not. Love money. Love capitalism. Love working hard and being rewarded.
That said, this seems incredibly predatory does it not?

It's as if these young future stars weren't being taken advantage of enough by slimy friends or family now they have to deal with fancy-suited investment fund managers now too.

I have no problem with people making a buck.

I have a problem with people making a buck off other people that maybe aren't smart enough to make life-changing decisions for themselves.
And I definitely have a problem when they coerce somebody into making a huge decision on their own without somebody smarter's advice.
In their meeting, Schwimer said he told Tatís to envision the possibility that he makes $500 million in baseball and to think about how much he’d have to pay to Big League Advance if that happened. Schwimer didn’t deal directly with Tatís’s agent. After thinking about it, Tatís and his family “ultimately decided that it was the best decision for them at the time,” Schwimer said, with Tatís opting for security at the expense of maximizing his earning potential.
Yes I know he just signed a $340 million dollar deal and $30 million seems like "a drop in the bucket" for that, but that $340 million gets whittled away very quickly when you consider the fact that:

1- he's paying taxes in the dumpster fire that is the state of California.

Do you wanna know what that totals out to? State and Federal, as of now, would be a $191,020,000 hit.
$340,000,000

-27,200,000 (Big League Advance Fee)
-191,020,000 (CA state + federal taxes)
---------------------
$121,780,000
2- This doesn't take into account what his management fees are which are somewhere between 4-10%
$121,780,000
- 6,089,000 (let's say it's a 5% management commission)
-------------------------
$115,691,000

That's what he's looking at. Over the next 14 years of his life. Playing elite baseball.
Approximately $8,263,642 million a year when it all breaks down to it.

You factor all that in, and suddenly that $27 million he has to kick to Big League Advance (what an outrageous "Investment Firm" name) doesn't seem so nominal anymore does it?

These sort of income-sharing agreements are controversial. Not long after Big League Advance began investing in players, the general counsel for the MLB Players Association sent a memo to agents that said, “Many of you have asked whether the Association has endorsed or otherwise approved BLA and its products. The answer is categorically ‘no.’” It went on to advise players and agents to “proceed with caution.”
Agents have criticized Big League Advance’s business model, with some accusing the company of preying on young players who are often Latin Americans who live in poverty and might not fully understand the ramifications of their agreements. Young minor-leaguers historically have made less than $10,000 for the entire season, though MLB recently announced MiLB salaries will increase in 2021 anywhere from 38% to 72%.
So far, legal attempts to nullify deals with Big League Advance have failed.

The thing I don't understand here is his dad played. How was he not giving his kid guidance and telling him not to make a deal like this.

Yes, we know Tatis Jr. wasn't even a Top 50 prospect when he signed his minor league deal. So any money seemed like good money. But this is a flat-out awful deal for somebody that wasn't exactly poor growing up.

The other thing I don't understand is why would Tatis Jr. even need money as an 18-year-old when his father was such an accomplished painter in his post-career?

Llano

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Fernando Tatis Jr. Owes A Shitload Of Money To An Investment Fund That Paid Him An Advance As A Minor Leaguer

The Padres Owe Fernando Tatís Jr. $340 Million. He Owes an Investment Fund Millions From His Payday.

As an 18-year-old, Fernando Tatís Jr. made a deal with Big League Advance, which advances pay to minor league players in exchange for a slice of their MLB earnings. Now it’s time to pay.
WSJ

Before the accusations that I'm a communist and hate capitalism (like Eddie) start getting thrown around here, let me preface this that I am not, and do not. Love money. Love capitalism. Love working hard and being rewarded.

It's as if these young future stars weren't being taken advantage of enough by slimy friends or family now they have to deal with fancy-suited investment fund managers now too.

I have a problem with people making a buck off other people that maybe aren't smart enough to make life-changing decisions for themselves.
And I definitely have a problem when they coerce somebody into making a huge decision on their own without somebody smarter's advice.

Yes I know he just signed a $340 million dollar deal and $30 million seems like "a drop in the bucket" for that, but that $340 million gets whittled away very quickly when you consider the fact that:

Do you wanna know what that totals out to? State and Federal, as of now, would be a $191,020,000 hit.
$340,000,000

---------------------
$121,780,000
2- This doesn't take into account what his management fees are which are somewhere between 4-10%
$121,780,000
$115,691,000

That's what he's looking at. Over the next 14 years of his life. Playing elite baseball.

You factor all that in, and suddenly that $27 million he has to kick to Big League Advance (what an outrageous "Investment Firm" name) doesn't seem so nominal anymore does it?

The thing I don't understand here is his dad played. How was he not giving his kid guidance and telling him not to make a deal like this.

Yes, we know Tatis Jr. wasn't even a Top 50 prospect when he signed his minor league deal. So any money seemed like good money. But this is a flat-out awful deal for somebody that wasn't exactly poor growing up.

The other thing I don't understand is why would Tatis Jr. even need money as an 18-year-old when his father was such an accomplished painter in his post-career?

Cacs will always find a way to vulture their way to get bread out of young athletes & entertainers. This is why I respect cats like Lebron who surrounded himself around a solid team & bet on himself at a young age.

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
y'all still have Machado? Padres starting to look good.

Yep.

And we upgraded the pitching, which is what lost us the series against the Dodgers.

And we still got a farm system that's top 5, easy!

Only thing left to do is re-sign Tony Gwynn Jr., so the Gwynns can get a World Series ring.

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member

WSJ

$340,000,000

---------------------
$121,780,000
$121,780,000
$115,691,000

yeah dad failed him with this

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How the hell can the Padres spend all that money ?

They going for broke.

They always had the money, just didn't have the will to make contenders.

Small market mind set.

But this current ownership wants a ring & sees that its possible.

So it's go for broke season.

I think the GM said to give him 7 years & he'll have a contender. He's on year 7.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Seattle Mariners president/CEO Kevin Mather resigns after comments

Seattle Mariners president and CEO Kevin Mather resigned Monday after comments he made to a Rotary Club earlier this month surfaced and received widespread backlash Sunday.

Mariners chairman and managing partner John Stanton said in a statement Monday that he "was extremely disappointed" when he learned of Mather's comments, which were made to a Bellevue, Washington, Rotary Club on Feb. 5 and were posted online over the weekend.

"His comments were inappropriate and do not represent our organization's feelings about our players, staff, and fans," Stanton said. "There is no excuse for what was said, and I won't try to make one. I offer my sincere apology on behalf of the club and my partners to our players and fans. We must be, and do, better. We have a lot of work to do to make amends, and that work is already underway."

Mather's resignation is effective immediately, with Stanton taking on the roles of CEO and team president on an interim basis. Stanton said Mather resigned before a decision had to be made whether to fire him, and there had been no determination yet about whether Mather will receive a severance or what will happen to his small ownership stake in the franchise.

"There were a number of comments made by Kevin that, as I've said, didn't reflect the Mariners, don't reflect what I believe, what our ownership believes, and were inappropriate," Stanton told reporters. "Those comments included some of the things that have been referenced with respect to our players, and in particular the importance of diversity and inclusion in our organization.''

Mather had been with the team since 1996. He was promoted to his current role in November 2017.

Mather apologized for his comments on Sunday night.

The Major League Baseball Players Association released a statement Monday calling the video "highly disturbing.''

"The Club's video presentation is a highly disturbing yet critically important window into how Players are genuinely viewed by management. Not just because of what was said, but also because it represents an unfiltered look into Club thinking,'' the statement read. "It is offensive, and it is not surprising that fans and others around the game are offended as well. Players remain committed to confronting these issues at the bargaining table and elsewhere.''

MLB also released a statement condemning Mather's comments. Stanton said he had talked several times Sunday and Monday with commissioner Rob Manfred.

"We condemn Kevin Mather's offensive and disrespectful comments about several players. We are proud of the international players who have made baseball better through their outstanding examples of courage and determination, and our global game is far better because of their contributions. His misguided remarks do not represent the values of our game and have no place in our sport,'' MLB said.

In his remarks to the Rotary Club, Mather spoke about former Mariners pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma -- who was hired in January as a special assignment coach with the club -- and his need for a translator and his English skills.

"For instance, we just rehired Iwakuma; he was a pitcher with us for a number of years. Wonderful human being; his English was terrible," Mather said. "He wanted to get back into the game; he came to us. We quite frankly want him as our Asian scout/interpreter, what's going on with the Japanese league. He's coming to spring training.

"And I'm going to say, I'm tired of paying his interpreter. When he was a player, we'd pay Iwakuma 'X,' but we'd also have to pay $75,000 a year to have an interpreter with him. His English suddenly got better. His English got better when we told him that."

Speaking about minor league outfielder Julio Rodriguez, who is ranked by ESPN's Kiley McDaniel as the No. 9 overall prospect in MLB, Mather said: "Julio Rodriguez has got a personality bigger than all of you combined. He is loud. His English is not tremendous."

Mather addressed the team's payroll and watching the financial bottom line. He said he believed top prospects Jarred Kelenic and Logan Gilbert likely will not start the season with the team as a way to manipulate their major league service time and keep them under club control longer.
Mather said the club attempted to sign Kelenic to a long-term contract and was rebuffed in its efforts.

Mather also said longtime third baseman Kyle Seager would be a future Mariners Hall of Famer but also was "overpaid." Seager is in the final year of his contract with the Mariners and will be Seattle's highest-paid player at $18 million. His contract includes a club option for 2022.

The video was another transgression during Mather's tenure with the club. Allegations of harassment were made by two former female employees -- the former executive assistants to Mather and then-executive vice president Bob Aylward -- and revealed in a 2018 report by The Seattle Times. The team said it had "made amends'' with those employees. The claims dated back to the late 2000s.

At the time, the club issued statements saying an outside expert conducted an investigation and "we imposed appropriate discipline, management and sensitivity training, and other corrective actions."

The newspaper also reported that there was another settlement with a third woman, who said she felt pressured to kiss then-team president Chuck Armstrong.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Last edited:

KoffeeHobson

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Juan Soto is my new favorite player. Already better than overrated bryce harper.
Just wish more black kids would play baseball. My son quit cause he was playing with to many white boys. Felt he had nothing in common with them anymore and is just gonna concentrate on hooping. Told him it was a mistake. He was gonna make varsity as a freshman if COVID-19 didn’t happen.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Just wish more black kids would play baseball. My son quit cause he was playing with to many white boys. Felt he had nothing in common with them anymore and is just gonna concentrate on hooping. Told him it was a mistake. He was gonna make varsity as a freshman if COVID-19 didn’t happen.
i hear you. baseball offers more money and longer careers due to less injuries. it's more of a thinking man's game. if your son is good at baseball and likes it, maybe he'll get back into it someday. Helps to have somebody you can relate to. i get it.

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I hear you on that fam. On one hand, we've got to get more of our kids out to the ballpark. Some sports are tailor-made for the living room and a big screen television, like the NFL. For some other sports, you really need to be there to get the complete picture of all that's going on. I think baseball is one of those sports. I really believe more of our kids would have more of an interest in the game if they could see it live with someone who knows the game and can point out the things to look for. You can never get the full impact of baseball by just watching it on TV.

Secondly, I put a lot of the blame on MLB for a lack of creativity in marketing the game over the past thirty years, and coming up with ways to increase the "cool factor" of the game. For instance, why has there never been a baseball equivalent to NFL Films? Other than gambling, I can't think of anything that helped to increase the popularity of the NFL over the last fifty years more than NFL Films, I've always believed if you could get one of these hotshot hip-hop music video producers and turn him loose on a long-term campaign to merge cinematography and music to baseball, it would increase the interest in the game with more of our youth.

If all else fails, tell your son about Arthur Rhodes. Here's a brother who was nothing more than a half-assed, mediocre relief pitcher. Yet, because he was a lefty with a good arm, he had a Major League career that lasted more than 20 years, even though he was never a big-name star. And other than his first four years, he averaged between $1.5 to $4 million for each of those years, and he retired completely healthy. Ain't nobody playing in the NBA or the NFL for 20+ years, and if by some miracle they come close to it, they won't be leaving with a body that's going to allow them to live a healthy, pain-free life into their later years. I really hope your son will reconsider at some point and give baseball another shot.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
i remember arthur rhodes. wore number 54 for the orioles i believe. he did have a good arm. And i agree, if the game were marketed towards us more, maybe it would be more appealing. I used to like to pitch as well as hit (who doesn't like to hit lol)...just the idea of learning how to place your fingers along or across the seams of the ball to throw certain pitches was fascinating to me. trying to outsmart or overpower the opposing batter. And if you're a batter, that is one of the hardest tasks in sports - to figure out what's coming and hit it. Learning how to hit a curveball, for example. If more kids had someone to show/tell them these things, there would be more of us playing, i'm sure of it.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Are they using universal DH this year?
I dont think they are bringing it back :smh:

IMO DH in both leagues is a fucking no brainer:hithead:

Edit to add the owners put fuckery in the mix

The MLB Players Association voted to turn down a deal that would have implemented the universal DH (which players are in favor of), in exchange for an expanded playoff field. Barring a change in negotiations, the DH will remain in the AL only for 2021.

Both leagues used the designated hitter during the COVID-shortened 2020 season.

As CBS Sports’ Mike Axisa notes, if players are going to agree to the expanded playoff field, they’re going to want a lot more than just the universal DH.

If we had to guess, it is still a matter of when, not if, baseball puts the DH in both leagues. It just makes too much sense, even if National League fans and baseball traditionalists object.

However, if the owners are hellbent on getting an expanded postseason, they are going to have to offer up more incentives than just the universal DH.