Baseball.........Anybody still interested?

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Whitesox will have a very good team this year.

pFF82I.jpg

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor

Well this play certainly was a wild ride. We started off with a wild pitch by the Phillies while the Tigers had the bases loaded. The runners saw the ball guy by and took off. But what they didn't anticipate is the perfect bounce back to the pitcher and we are officially on pickle watch. The runner at third who had started to come home instantly retreats and heads back, but the guy from second is already basically at third. Then the ball starts getting thrown all around, to second, to third, back to home, back to third again and as he goes to put the tag on the runner the ball gets knocked out and shoots out into the netting. This is now madness.

But no one advances, the runner from third stayed, the runner who originally started at second heads back there and the guy at first just stayed there. All in all that was a ton of running and throwing for no one to advance, no scoring, no outs.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Mets, Francisco Lindor are in $385 million contract standoff
By Ken Davidoff
March 29, 2021 | 8:15pm | Updated

With the clock ticking toward Francisco Lindor’s self-imposed deadline, the Mets stood a vast distance from securing the long-term services of their recently acquired shortstop. New owner Steve Cohen couldn’t hide his uncertainty in two different forums.

An industry source confirmed that the Mets have offered Lindor a 10-year, $325 million extension, as first reported by SNY, with the apparent “best and final” belief that should get it done. However, a source not with the Mets or in the Lindor camp confirmed a Newsday report that Lindor, who can be a free agent after this season, had countered with a 12-year, $385 million ask.

“It takes two people to sign a contract, not one,” Cohen told Mets radiocaster Wayne Randazzo in a conversation that ran online Monday night, though was taped a few days ago.

On Twitter Monday, Cohen engaged with multiple fans and shared a similar sentiment. When one fan tweeted that Lindor would complete the extension on Monday, Cohen replied, “How much you want to bet.” When a second asked whether the impending free agent Lindor would be extended soon, Cohen responded, “Well , we have a deadline [of March] 31, today is the 29th. It either will or won’t in the next two days.” And when a third fan reacted to that with the words, “This is not as funny as I think you think it is,” Cohen replied, “I’m not being funny, it’s the absolute truth. If I knew the answer I would report it.”

Steve Cohen; Francisco LindorCorey Sipkin (2)
The $325-million offer falls short of the $340 million the Padres guaranteed their shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. _ the most ever for a shortstop _ although the 22-year-old Tatis’ contract, spread over 14 years, carries a far lower annual average value ($24.3 million as opposed to $32.5 million). The $385 million that Lindor, 27, wants would rank as the most “new money” ever guaranteed to a baseball player, topping the $365-million, 12-year deal the Dodgers gave Mookie Betts last year.

Not much optimism exists, Cohen acknowledged, for Lindor’s fellow walk-year Mets Michael Conforto and Noah Syndergaard.
What do you think? Post a comment.

“We’re talking to all of them and it’s hard to know exactly how they’re all going to turn out,” Cohen told Randazzo. “We’re focused on Francisco and Michael. Those are the ones that are sort of immediate ones we have to deal with. Obviously Noah’s important to the club. He’s coming back from a serious injury [Tommy John surgery on his right elbow]. We’re open to conversation. I think that’s going to be a different type of conversation than what we’re going to have with Francisco and Michael.”

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor

Well this play certainly was a wild ride. We started off with a wild pitch by the Phillies while the Tigers had the bases loaded. The runners saw the ball guy by and took off. But what they didn't anticipate is the perfect bounce back to the pitcher and we are officially on pickle watch. The runner at third who had started to come home instantly retreats and heads back, but the guy from second is already basically at third. Then the ball starts getting thrown all around, to second, to third, back to home, back to third again and as he goes to put the tag on the runner the ball gets knocked out and shoots out into the netting. This is now madness.

But no one advances, the runner from third stayed, the runner who originally started at second heads back there and the guy at first just stayed there. All in all that was a ton of running and throwing for no one to advance, no scoring, no outs.

That's ridiculous. I hope that wasn't Knapp the catcher doing that dumb shit. I'm pretty sure it wasn't. All the catcher had to do was walk the ball back to 3rd with the 2nd base runner damn near at 3rd. 3rd base runner in a regular season game would have been ruled out for knocking the ball out of the fielders glove though.

1jEPWx.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
FOR ANYONE WITH T-MOBILE TUESDAY MARCH 30TH YOU CAN GO TO THE FREE TUESDAYS APP AND GET THE MLB TV app for free. With that you can watch all the out of market games all year long. A great deal for baseball fans. T-mobile been doing that for years now. Phenomenal deal.

bm6LOB.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
MLB moving All-Star Game from Atlanta over Georgia voting law. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
TONY CLARK WASN'T HAVIN' DAT SHIT. NOW HAD THIS BEEN THE NFL UNION THEY WOULDN'T HAVE DONE SHIT.

wpFb5G.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
MLB moving 2021 All-Star Game from Atlanta over Georgia voting law

Major League Baseball announced Friday that it is moving the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta in response to a new Georgia law that has civil rights groups concerned about its potential to restrict voting access for people of color.

The 2021 MLB draft, a new addition to All-Star Game festivities this year, will also be relocated.

In a statement, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said the league is "finalizing a new host city and details about these events will be announced shortly." A source told ESPN that the 2022 All-Star Game is still planned for Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles and that that site won't be moved up to fill the void this summer.

"Over the last week, we have engaged in thoughtful conversations with Clubs, former and current players, the Players Association, and The Players Alliance, among others, to listen to their views," Manfred said in his statement. "I have decided that the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport is by relocating this year's All-Star Game and MLB Draft.

"Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box. In 2020, MLB became the first professional sports league to join the non-partisan Civic Alliance to help build a future in which everyone participates in shaping the United States. We proudly used our platform to encourage baseball fans and communities throughout our country to perform their civic duty and actively participate in the voting process. Fair access to voting continues to have our game's unwavering support."

The Atlanta Braves said they were "deeply disappointed" by the outcome.

"This was neither our decision, nor our recommendation and we are saddened that fans will not be able to see this event in our city," the team said in a statement. "The Braves organization will continue to stress the importance of equal voting opportunities and we had hoped our city could use this event as a platform to enhance the discussion. Our city has always been known as a uniter in divided times and we will miss the opportunity to address issues that are important to our community.

"Unfortunately, businesses, employees and fans in Georgia are the victims of this decision."

The Players Alliance, consisting of more than 100 current and former players who have united in an effort to empower Black communities, came out in support of MLB's decision with a statement that read in part: "We want to make our voice heard loud and clear in our opposition of the recent Georgia legislation that not only disproportionately disenfranchises the Black community, but also paves the way for other states to pass similarly harmful laws based largely on widespread falsehoods and disinformation."

The White House said President Joe Biden supports the decision as well.

"The President has made his concerns about the bill passed in Georgia clear, given its extreme provisions that impact the ability of so many citizens to cast their votes," the White House said. "He said earlier this week that if the decision was made by Major League Baseball to move the All-Star game, he would certainly support that decision - and now that MLB has made that choice, he certainly does.''

In a statement, former President Donald Trump blasted the move and urged his supporters to "boycott baseball and all of the woke companies that are interfering with Free and Fair Elections.''

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signed into law last week a sweeping, Republican-sponsored bill that includes new restrictions on voting by mail and greater legislative control over how elections are run. The bill, which also prohibits volunteers from distributing food and water for voters waiting in line, was finalized on March 25 roughly 15 miles from the Braves' stadium, Truist Park.

The new voting law, SB202, came in the wake of the first Democratic victories in presidential and Senate elections in Georgia in a generation, which triggered repeated unproven assertions by former President Donald Trump that the state's election was fraudulent. Supporters of the new law have said it merely ensures election integrity and stamps out potential fraud, while critics have described it as a voter-suppression tactic that would make it more difficult for minorities, particularly people of color, to vote, citing how it reduces ballot access in urban communities that lean Democrat.

A recent examination of the 98-page bill by The New York Times identified 16 provisions that either hinder Georgians' right to vote or strip power from state and local elections officials and give it to legislators.

The governor said in a statement that MLB "caved to fear" by moving the All-Star Game.

"I will not back down. Georgians will not be bullied," Kemp said. "We will continue to stand up for secure, accessible, fair elections. Earlier today, I spoke with the leadership of the Atlanta Braves who informed me they do not support the MLB's decision."

Stacey Abrams, a Democratic former Georgia gubernatorial candidate and voting rights activist, tweeted about her disappointment but understanding over MLB's decision.

"Like many Georgians, I am disappointed that the MLB is relocating the All-Star game; however, I commend the players, owners and League commissioner for speaking out," Abrams wrote. "I urge others in positions of the leadership to do so as well."

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, a Democrat, said she supports MLB's decision. Atlanta will no doubt share in the economic loss, though the Braves' home stadium is now located outside the city, in suburban Cobb County.

"Unfortunately, the removal of the MLB All-Star Game from Georgia is likely the first of many dominoes to fall until the unnecessary barriers put in place to restrict access to the ballot box are removed,'' Bottoms said in a statement.

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, who is to guide the National League All-Star team, applauded MLB for moving the game from Georgia.

"I think in a world now where people want and need to be heard -- and in this particular case, people of color -- for Major League Baseball to listen and do something about it, to be proactive, it sets a tone,'' said Roberts, the son of a Black father and Japanese mother.

MLBPA executive director Tony Clark said last Friday that he "would look forward" to discussions around moving the Midsummer Classic -- slated for July 13 -- out of Atlanta. Five days after that, President Joe Biden, who won Georgia by less than 12,000 votes, told SportsCenter he would "strongly support" such a decision, calling the new bill "Jim Crow on steroids."

Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James, who has an ownership stake in the Boston Red Sox, was among those expressing support for MLB's decision on Twitter.

Despite moving the All-Star Game, Manfred said that "MLB's planned investments to support local communities in Atlanta as part of our All-Star Legacy Projects will move forward" and that legendary Braves player Hank Aaron, who died in January, would still be celebrated during the All-Star festivities.

Atlanta has previously hosted the All-Star Game twice, in 1972 and 2000.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
lol...is philly gonna stop us? the mets? Atlanta is the only roadblock in the division far as i can see. Jury is out on the Marlins.
Yes the Phillies can stop you long as that revamped bullpen holds up well. That's the biggest question mark for us really. 4th and 5th starters are shaky, and I'm bout ready to beat Roman Quinn's. 220 hitting ass but make no mistake Philadelphia will score plenty of runs. Your defense is putrid and maybe the biggest thing stopping you. That and seeing how those pitchers who were injured last year hold up.

7pGo4V.jpg

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Yes the Phillies can stop you long as that revamped bullpen holds up well. That's the biggest question mark for us really. 4th and 5th starters are shaky, and I'm bout ready to beat Roman Quinn's. 220 hitting ass but make no mistake Philadelphia will score plenty of runs. Your defense is putrid and maybe the biggest thing stopping you. That and seeing how those pitchers who were injured last year hold up.

7pGo4V.jpg
yeah we need strasburg. We also added Jon Lester as the 4th starter for whatever that's worth. and Brad Hand as the closer. some of those defensive liabilities are gone (dozier, Kieboom was optioned to AAA,) way more punch in the lineup this year to backup Soto. we will see.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
yeah we need strasburg. We also added Jon Lester as the 4th starter for whatever that's worth. and Brad Hand as the closer. some of those defensive liabilities are gone (dozier, Kieboom was optioned to AAA,) way more punch in the lineup this year to backup Soto. we will see.
Even the manager said the defense is his biggest concern but I think the division is wide open to be honest. Braves will not run away with it like many predict and Miami will not be as good as many think. Neither will the Mets.

vdWcmR.jpg

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Even the manager said the defense is his biggest concern but I think the division is wide open to be honest. Braves will not run away with it like many predict and Miami will not be as good as many think. Neither will the Mets.

vdWcmR.jpg
the mets are dysfunctional - sort of like past Washington Football teams lol. Braves keep kicking our asses. i got a bone to pick with them. it's likely between Wash / Atl / philly , judging by the moves the phillies have been making. Both squads (nats & phillies) have exciting players. I still replay that harper GW grand slam from a couple yrs ago, and Juan Soto has already become a better player than Harper IMO. should be a fun season.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
the mets are dysfunctional - sort of like past Washington Football teams lol. Braves keep kicking our asses. i got a bone to pick with them. it's likely between Wash / Atl / philly , judging by the moves the phillies have been making. Both squads (nats & phillies) have exciting players. I still replay that harper GW grand slam from a couple yrs ago, and Juan Soto has already become a better player than Harper IMO. should be a fun season.
Yup. Will be a great year

aMbfRc.jpg

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor

Jim Leyland: "One simple change" can fix a lot of baseball's problems

A lot of smart people are toying with lot of new ideas to improve Major League Baseball. To make it a more exciting product. To keep old fans and attract new ones, to put the game back in the national spotlight. Faster pace, higher action, all that good stuff.

Maybe they should give Jim Leyland a call.

Leyland played the game for seven years in the minors, then spent 22 years in the majors as a manager. He's had a front-row seat to more than 3,500 big-league games and he still serves as a special assistant to the Tigers.

And if you want to make the game better, Leyland says "you can make one simple change to take care of a lot of problems. And it's not one of the changes that they're making."

Like instituting a pitch clock or banning the shift, two of several ideas being tested this year in the minors.

"I think the biggest problem is that the hitters don’t get in the box," Leyland said Friday on the Stoney & Jansen Show. "When a guy hits a pop up to the shortstop, the next hitter should be walking up to home plate.

What is he standing over there for with his donut on the bat, swinging the bat, waiting for his walk-up music? That’s ridiculous. It’s not the pitchers that slow the game down, it’s the hitters. We need to get the hitters in the box. That would take care of a lot of issues if they would just do that."

This does fall in line with the idea of a pitch clock, only it directs more of the the burden to the hitters. No matter what happens when a ball's put in play -- assuming a runner isn't barreling toward home plate -- Leyland is insistent the next batter should be walking up to the dish.

"He shouldn’t be standing over there in the on-deck circle fooling around with his batting gloves, fooling around with the donut on his bat, can’t get it off the bat, then he stands there and waits for his walk-up music. If (MLB) would just (change) that, that’s one simple thing, you’d be surprised how much faster the pace of the game would go," Leyland said.

As for overshifts on defense? Leyland has no problem with removing them from the game. And he says "we've been asking the wrong questions" about the matter for the past few years.

"This is just an opinion, I don’t know if I’m right or wrong," he said. "We always ask, do you like the shift? Some people say yes, some people say no. Then we say, does the shift work? Yes, in a lot of cases the shift works. But those aren’t the two questions we should be asking. We should be asking, is the shift good for baseball? And in my opinion it’s not. Other opinions might say, yes, they think it is, but in my opinion it’s not good for the game.

"And I think that’s the question that needs to be answered by owners, players, general managers. Everybody involved in the game should sit down and talk about this and decide whether it’s good for the game and then go forward."

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In honor of the new season, who would make the all-time roster of your favorite team? To make it a bit more interesting, only guys who've played during your lifetime can be on this roster, so that it includes guys that you have actually seen on a regular basis.

White-Sox.png

LEFT FIELD
1. Tim Raines
2. Carlos Lee
3. Eloy Jimenez

CENTER FIELD
1. Chet Lemon
2. Lance Johnson
3. Luis Robert

RIGHT FIELD
1. Harold Baines
2. Magglio Ordonez
3. Jermaine Dye

FIRST BASE
1. Dick Allen
2. Paul Konerko
3. Jose Abreu

SECOND BASE
1. Ray Durham
2. Jorge Orta
3. Julio Cruz

SHORTSTOP
1. Tim Anderson
2. Ozzie Guillen
3. Alexei Ramirez

THIRD BASE
1. Robin Ventura
2. Joe Crede
3. Yoan Moncada

CATCHER
1. Carlton Fisk
2. A. J. Pierzynski
3. Sandy Alomar

DESIGNATED HITTER
1. Frank Thomas
2. Albert Belle
3. Jim Thome

RIGHT-HANDED STARTERS

1. Jack McDowell
2. Lamarr Hoyt
3. Lucas Giolito

LEFT-HANDED STARTERS
1. Mark Buehrle
2. Chris Sale
3. Wilbur Wood

RELIEF PITCHERS/CLOSERS
1. Bobby Thigpen
2.. Roberto Hernandez
3. Goose Gossage

MANAGERS

1. Ozzie Guillen
2. Tony Larussa
3. Jeff Torberg

GENERAL MANAGERS
1. Kenny Williams
2. Rick Hahn
3. Roland Hemond

ANNOUNCERS
Television - Harry Caray
Radio - John Rooney
** Honorable Mention - Hawk Harrelson

Bold Type
= Baseball Hall of Fame Inductees

It's been a struggle being a White Sox fan over the years, especially the last five seasons. Yet, now is one of those times when it's the most fun to be a fan of a team - when the team is really young, and it's clear they are about to become really, really good with the potential of being dominant. Looking forward to seeing other lists.