Any IT Security Heads here?

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
Props to all the folks in this thread.
I’m a PMP and started managing a network security project, and I had no idea the value of this cert.

Bookmark
Bump
#forlater
Nice.

It's always great to have project managers who understand the field. Really eases the stresses of gate creations and expectations.

trstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nice.

It's always great to have project managers who understand the field. Really eases the stresses of gate creations and expectations.
I am really thinking about getting that CSSP (?)
So I can increase my value even further.

When I rollout my private consultation company, I want to raise up a bunch of young black security heads. Do an IT security takeover

rkitchens

wannabe star
Registered
So I'm currently working with the DoD as a field technician for like a year and I just got my security+ cert. What cert should I get next if I want to get into penetration testing or vulnerability assessment?

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor
So I'm currently working with the DoD as a field technician for like a year and I just got my security+ cert. What cert should I get next if I want to get into penetration testing or vulnerability assessment?

for instant street cred.. the OSCP /thread

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
for instant street cred.. the OSCP /thread
that a huge jump from Sec+
dude needs to take baby steps in this shit......maybe try CSA first.....then CEH.
that OSCP exam is a fuckin 24 hour exam. its got me re-evaluating on whether or not i should study for the shit.

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor
dude needs to take baby steps in this shit......maybe try CSA first.....then CEH.
that OSCP exam is a fuckin 24 hour exam. its got me re-evaluating on whether or not i should study for the shit.

I disagree with you on that as I know several people who had just a Security+ or GSEC pass the exam... its all about how well you grasp the material... I take mine again this Saturday...

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
This thread is right on time. I've lived in the DMV my whole life and always knew there was gold here, but it's only very recently I've decided to grab a shovel and start digging.

My buddy works for Booz Allen Hamilton and gave me some good advice on where to start and how to get in.

My background and degree is in Economics, and I have ZERO IT experience but I'm gonna give this a shot cause I believe in its future.

Help desk entry level is the first gig I'm hoping to get and Comptia is what I'm studying right now.

Any other tips or pointers?

Thanks to all the Vets in here contributing.

Tiger_Hood

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What company are you with. I test for security plus in a month!

rkitchens

wannabe star
Registered
For clarity are you talking about the cysa+ because that's where I was leaning.

mozartte

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Also remember, for CISSP you need someone to vouch for you.
Actually, ISC2 will vouch for you if you cant find anyone. Most people find someone because CISSP holders are required to mentor and help endorse others to keep the certification active.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Although seasoned pen testers make nice money, it requires a huge jump in knowledge. Just for context, pen testing is a lifestyle - you will eat and sleep doing that. You need to continue to hone your skills more than other fields in IT. Of the two you mentioned, I'd go for vulnerability management. You'll touch so many groups/teams, learn about AD, service accounts, OSes and more.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
I disagree with you on that as I know several people who had just a Security+ or GSEC pass the exam... its all about how well you grasp the material... I take mine again this Saturday...
Good luck.

rkitchens

wannabe star
Registered
Although seasoned pen testers make nice money, it requires a huge jump in knowledge. Just for context, pen testing is a lifestyle - you will eat and sleep doing that. You need to continue to hone your skills more than other fields in IT. Of the two you mentioned, I'd go for vulnerability management. You'll touch so many groups/teams, learn about AD, service accounts, OSes and more.
What certification would you suggest I go with next if I go with vulnerability management?

HellBoy

Platinum Member
What certification would you suggest I go with next if I go with vulnerability management?
In order to communicate with other teams, you'll need a good understanding of how networks operate. So you will need to know how to read network diagrams, CIDR, Windows basics and Linux basics. Look into Network+ and Linux+ to get your feet wet.

Moving Target

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bruhs...I appreciate all the info flowing in this thread. I work SAIC in a specialized field of IT and am started studying for the AWS cert. I want to go toward the flow of future money and cloud computing is where its at in DC. Amazon is already here and grinding hard to get those lucrative government contracts....if they get them and meet the requirements, itll put a lot of people out of work.....esp if you hardware techs Bc everybody will be moving toward thin clients as opposed to thick clients. but more people will be able to work from home i suppose.

KEEP DROPPING THE AND SHARING THE KNOWLEDGE.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I got the S+ in November, I'm looking a new job. I got 18 months experience as a SOC analyst but it's pretty basic stuff, I just monitor traffic via a Custom program all day, I look at port numbers and payloads, nothing too complex.

That CEH is 1600 to take the test, you think it's worth it? What cert should I pursue? Linux +?

I don't make money yet

HellBoy

Platinum Member
I got the S+ in November, I'm looking a new job. I got 18 months experience as a SOC analyst but it's pretty basic stuff, I just monitor traffic via a Custom program all day, I look at port numbers and payloads, nothing too complex.

That CEH is 1600 to take the test, you think it's worth it? What cert should I pursue? Linux +?

I don't make money yet
Go Network+.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Go Network+.

my boss was talking about it and he said only the oscp and cissp matter at the higher level but the s+ is good at the lower level.

The network+ won't do much for my resume, was thinking cysa+ or cyber ops from cisco.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
my boss was talking about it and he said only the oscp and cissp matter at the higher level but the s+ is good at the lower level.

The network+ won't do much for my resume, was thinking cysa+ or cyber ops from cisco.
If you have a good foundation in networking thats fine.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you have a good foundation in networking thats fine.

I don't need it and don't want the N+.... The Cysa isn't DOD approved yet..

All these cybersecurity certifications at the intermediate level are the same...

Cyber ops
CYSA Pentest+
S+

Just confused breh, they all around 250 but if it don't add on 10k to my job it's not worth it lol

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I got the S+ but my company isn't even giving me 40 a year and I'm old as fuck. I need to get over this hump, what cert would you advise? I work a Cybersecurity Analyst but basically I look at a dumbed down version of Wireshark all night and they pay like shit cuz that's what these companies do, they IOS everything to make it easier and pay you shit.

Get one developer, have them make the software, pay him and cheap everyone else....

I got the S+ and 18 months... basically it's about knowing traffic flow, ports and sending in tickets to companies who use our product.

Help me out, what should I get to get noticed? I might drop the 1500 from my savings if I can get over this hump.

I was self studying the cysa+ right now since it's pretty cheap.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
I got the S+ but my company isn't even giving me 40 a year and I'm old as fuck. I need to get over this hump, what cert would you advise? I work a Cybersecurity Analyst but basically I look at a dumbed down version of Wireshark all night and they pay like shit cuz that's what these companies do, they IOS everything to make it easier and pay you shit.

Get one developer, have them make the software, pay him and cheap everyone else....

I got the S+ and 18 months... basically it's about knowing traffic flow, ports and sending in tickets to companies who use our product.

Help me out, what should I get to get noticed? I might drop the 1500 from my savings if I can get over this hump.

I was self studying the cysa+ right now since it's pretty cheap.
Sounds like you need to move from a SOC environment to a corporate position. Even juniors make over 50k.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Yeah SOC pays pretty bad since it's so easy. What position would you apply for?
I'd look for companies that support contracts for the government. See what IT positions they are hiring for, then go from there.

mozartte

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not much discussion about IT like we used to do. There was someone here before that gave a Sec+ voucher for 1/2 off... we need stuff like that nowadays.

Got my VMware cert, studying for Hyper-v now

How does a person obtain vmware certs?

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I got fired so I need a job... I basically just monitored traffic using a custom gui but it's similar to wireshark...

I have a S+ and a A+.

I need a job and some skills to learn fast, please drop books I can stuff to learn from. I need networking hands on experience with routers and switches and so forth...

Please help a brother out or I'm outta South Florida November for certain. If I'm a lifelong broke nigga I'll do that in conservative ass Jacksonville but I don't wanna live this way in South FLorida.

So help me out, I need the help...

The biggest issue is I don't know what to do, I never went to school like that so I don't have direction as too what's next, I may be SOL...

I did an entry level cybersecurity job.