Any IT Security Heads here?

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
Looking for some new connects to talk cyber security with. Not looking for just any group, I want to focus on black IT professionals.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
I've migrated into the security space recently. When a new vulnerability comes out, I want to chat with my brothers & sisters. I figure that if we share knowledge we can increase our reach within the sector.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Have a degree and Security + cert but got stuck in Networking because it was a second career for me and I started late. Credentials are important, but you have to get some experience under your belt or nobody is going to touch you. If your young enough and maybe still going through school, hop on any internships you can get, paid or unpaid just to get the experience.

Also, the whole IT field is getting ready to undergo a paradigm shift to Software Defined Networking. If you hop on any of the evolving certs related to that, they will be paying you in blank checks for you to fill in the amount.
I will look into this. Everything I see out now is leaning toward appliances and aggregates.

GuessWho21212

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Have a degree and Security + cert but got stuck in Networking because it was a second career for me and I started late. Credentials are important, but you have to get some experience under your belt or nobody is going to touch you. If your young enough and maybe still going through school, hop on any internships you can get, paid or unpaid just to get the experience.

Also, the whole IT field is getting ready to undergo a paradigm shift to Software Defined Networking. If you hop on any of the evolving certs related to that, they will be paying you in blank checks for you to fill in the amount.

Certifications are very important, the CISSP being sort of the gold standard at this point that will open every door. However, another thing to consider are security clearances. I'm on the East coast near DC, so with all the federal agencies and defense contractors there is a huge need for people who are cleared to work with classified data. It actually opens up a lane for retired military because depending on their specialty they can leave the service with Top Secret and above clearances that qualify them for ITSec work, whether they have the skillset or not. Once they're onboard the government will just pay to send them to training damn near indefinitely until they get their skills up.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
How do you get into that?

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Certifications are very important, the CISSP being sort of the gold standard at this point that will open every door. However, another thing to consider are security clearances. I'm on the East coast near DC, so with all the federal agencies and defense contractors there is a huge need for people who are cleared to work with classified data. It actually opens up a lane for retired military because depending on their specialty they can leave the service with Top Secret and above clearances that qualify them for ITSec work, whether they have the skillset or not. Once they're onboard the government will just pay to send them to training damn near indefinitely until they get their skills up.
Clearance is important. If you get put on with a entry level government IT job you'll be in there with Secret. Then you can leverage that in the private sector.

Mt Airy Groove

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Wow, I work in IT and I was completely oblivious to SDN. :smh: This proves how important it is to keep up with the changes in technology.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Degrees, certs, and experience from internship.

Be a jack of many trades in this field. Make yourself marketable. IT field is booming, but make sure you stay sharpe with at least one programming language.

If you really 'bout it, then get sharpe with UNIX/Linux. That along with Windows gives you additional perks. Unless your planning on being strictly Linux based IT, I would focus too hard on that cert. Just have some knowledge of security, server and web admin with it.

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor
What feeds do you subscribe to for the latest info?

None.. really because all exploits and how they happen all come down to the basic types... new exploits just happen to combine different exploit combinations... but you should check exploitdb on the daily because they usually have a working exploit examples of 0days daily.. That way if you're using signature based IDS and such.. it could be used as examples of what to look for..

Last edited:

BigRoob

Star
BGOL Investor
I have my A+ cert working on my Networking +, Sec + and Microsoft Server certs. I attended New Horizon's Computer Learning Center. Will start working for them next week and eventually will become an instructor. I'll try to contribute here as well.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Can a novice ask a few questions?

How old were u guys when you got your certs?

Did u go to a college, a two year school, a specialized school, a program, online school...?

Did u have a degree previously? And what was it in?

How much did these certs cost?

How difficult was the studying?

How do you fiND jobs?

And how are the internships and are they beneficial and easy to find? Are they competitive?

Last edited:

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor
It doesn't matter what age you are to obtain your certs.. just get them..

Did u go to a college, a two year school, a specialized school, a program, online school...?
Each person varies.. I have a college degree in InfoSec also, but you can learn alot on your own..

Bachelors in Infosec.. I'm not saying what school or such as they're not compensating me to shout out their name...

The certs vary depending upon the certifying organization. They range from 250 (Sec+) to 1150 (OSCP) etc..

Difficulty is only in relation to how well you know and understand the subject matter...

How do you fiND jobs?
There are plenty of jobs in the DC metro area that I know of (clearance may be needed). Also, you should look to start off in a SOC as they tend to hire entry level personnel. Look on DICE, Simply Hired, Indeed, and LinkedIN.. etc.. also you should join the local chapter of the BDPA (Black Data Processors Association) as it is a networking organization for black folks in IT,,, also ISACA and ISC2....

And how are the internships and are they beneficial and easy to find? Are they competitive?

Internships are what you make them.. They are often most beneficial for Dwight Mann... but that's another discussion for another day... The great thing about infosec is that you can learn alot on your own, and can be world class within 2 years with a steady informational learning grind..

with all that being said.. my last job only paid for my GCIA.. everything else, I did on my own... without paying for courses..

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Each person varies.. I have a college degree in InfoSec also, but you can learn alot on your own..

Bachelors in Infosec.. I'm not saying what school or such as they're not compensating me to shout out their name...

The certs vary depending upon the certifying organization. They range from 250 (Sec+) to 1150 (OSCP) etc..

Difficulty is only in relation to how well you know and understand the subject matter...

How do you fiND jobs?
There are plenty of jobs in the DC metro area that I know of (clearance may be needed). Also, you should look to start off in a SOC as they tend to hire entry level personnel. Look on DICE, Simply Hired, Indeed, and LinkedIN.. etc.. also you should join the local chapter of the BDPA (Black Data Processors Association) as it is a networking organization for black folks in IT,,, also ISACA and ISC2....

Internships are what you make them.. They are often most beneficial for Dwight Mann... but that's another discussion for another day... The great thing about infosec is that you can learn alot on your own, and can be world class within 2 years with a steady informational learning grind..

with all that being said.. my last job only paid for my GCIA.. everything else, I did on my own... without paying for courses..

This should be a sticky in the business forum

kidmegaii

Medium well
BGOL Investor

How do you fiND jobs?

Can you point me in a direction where I can learn this own my own?

Ron-Ron

Rising Star
Registered
I been in System Administration and Help Desk for 8 years...just got my Sec+....jobs aint callin me, because I dont have any Info Sec experience. I feel like my Info Sec knowledge is gonna waste away.

HellBoy

Platinum Member

How do you fiND jobs?

Good Post.

FYI - In a InfoSec or NetSec position you will be inundated with acronyms.

SOC - Security Operations Center - Normally an outsourced entity that monitors SIEMs.

SIEM - Security information and Event Management - These are aggregate systems that monitor/log network traffic.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
I been in System Administration and Help Desk for 8 years...just got my Sec+....jobs aint callin me, because I dont have any Info Sec experience. I feel like my Info Sec knowledge is gonna waste away.
Security+ will show that you are interested in the space. However, if you want to get your foot in the door you'll have to get a specialty.

Look into getting your hands dirty with (corporate) tools dealing with: Vulnerability management, endpoint security, data lost prevention, forensics, next-gen firewalls. There are also network monitoring tools, databases, etc.

What kind of System Administration do you do?

Reactions: kuu

thahoodsprodigy

Star
BGOL Investor

Sitting for my Sec+ & AWS exams in the next two weeks. I have a feeling I'm going to see this too.

ghour

Star
BGOL Investor
Been in IT Security for going on 5 years work for a large Oil and Gas pipeline company in Houston, TX. I am interested in hearing on some new technology I need to step my cert game up, I am looking into getting a Cloud Security Certification I think that is where the industry is going.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Anyone care to share their specialties?

Mine:

Palo Alto firewalls

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor
You need to understand and know the basics..i.e. Network+, Sec+, A+... You can find videos by Professor Messor on Youtube to get you started, and Cybrary.it is great for other learning...

HellBoy

Platinum Member
You need to understand and know the basics..i.e. Network+, Sec+, A+... You can find videos by Professor Messor on Youtube to get you started, and Cybrary.it is great for other learning...
I have mixed feelings about A+. I mean, if you aren't going to work in Windows support I'd suggest skipping that.

Absolute blank slate bruh, trying a career path

Knowledge of how networks work.. subnetting, OSI Model, switches, routers, firewalls. Understand how they work, what layer they operate on, etc.

Security - Learn all the basics of protecting data, at rest and in transit. Understand the CIA triad, types of security, etc.

Venom

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Recruiters kept bugging me. It seems they want quantity. I'm sitting for A+ this month even though I have 17 years experience. I don't think A+ is tough except for the wording and trick questions. I want Network+ and Security+ so I can get paid. I have a college degree and AS in Comp Sci. Indian recruiters must get credit for how many Right to Represents they get.