Any IT Security Heads here?

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm over 40 I need a good training school with hands on, please help me out... I need a path, it's sad shit but it's true, I fucked up alot my younger years.... I probably will be dead by the end of the year, pretty stressed out.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
I'm over 40 I need a good training school with hands on, please help me out... I need a path, it's sad shit but it's true, I fucked up alot my younger years.... I probably will be dead by the end of the year, pretty stressed out.
I'd hit up INDEED.COM. If you had a SOC position you may be able to find something there.

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor
I got fired so I need a job... I basically just monitored traffic using a custom gui but it's similar to wireshark...

I have a S+ and a A+.

I need a job and some skills to learn fast, please drop books I can stuff to learn from. I need networking hands on experience with routers and switches and so forth...

Please help a brother out or I'm outta South Florida November for certain. If I'm a lifelong broke nigga I'll do that in conservative ass Jacksonville but I don't wanna live this way in South FLorida.

So help me out, I need the help...

The biggest issue is I don't know what to do, I never went to school like that so I don't have direction as too what's next, I may be SOL...

I did an entry level cybersecurity job.

1st things first... you need to setup a home lab with virtual machines to teach you what you need..

Virtualbox
https://www.virtualbox.org/

GNS3

https://www.gns3.com/software

teach yourself networking..

udemy, etc..

teach yourself pentesting..
download the vulnerable virtual machines. The most important thing to do is to also go through the walk-throughs in order to learn techniques on how to compromise a system

https://www.vulnhub.com/

Download Kali to break into the virtual machines... learn to do it without Metasploit and it will get you prepared of exams like the OSCP and it also teaches you real world security concepts.. Also, you will learn begin to learn linux, bash, python, perl, etc

https://www.kali.org/downloads/

Currently I'm working on my CISM as I already have Sec+, CEH, GCIA, and CISSP. I've failed the OSCP several times as I can only crack 3 boxes before time is up. I always get the buffer overflow as that is one of the easier ones for me..

In my current job, I'm standing up the security practice for my county as a 1 man shop, but I may be one of the 1st analysts at a local government level (county, city, twp, etc..) in the country to do what I'm doing...

HellBoy

Platinum Member
1st things first... you need to setup a home lab with virtual machines to teach you what you need..

Virtualbox

GNS3

udemy, etc..

download the vulnerable virtual machines. The most important thing to do is to also go through the walk-throughs in order to learn techniques on how to compromise a system

Download Kali to break into the virtual machines... learn to do it without Metasploit and it will get you prepared of exams like the OSCP and it also teaches you real world security concepts.. Also, you will learn begin to learn linux, bash, python, perl, etc

Currently I'm working on my CISM as I already have Sec+, CEH, GCIA, and CISSP. I've failed the OSCP several times as I can only crack 3 boxes before time is up. I always get the buffer overflow as that is one of the easier ones for me..

In my current job, I'm standing up the security practice for my county as a 1 man shop, but I may be one of the 1st analysts at a local government level (county, city, twp, etc..) in the country to do what I'm doing...
That is a huge task if I reading right. SOPs are time consuming.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Virtualbox

GNS3

udemy, etc..

Im starting off with the CCNA I'm going throught the new cbt nuggets for the new version of the ccna, once I get that dow I'm going back into security and doing the kali stuff. I heard the CCNA will help alot overall with my resume and give me a good understanding of networking for the real world.

THen I'm getting into Linux and then going into security.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Im starting off with the CCNA I'm going throught the new cbt nuggets for the new version of the ccna, once I get that dow I'm going back into security and doing the kali stuff. I heard the CCNA will help alot overall with my resume and give me a good understanding of networking for the real world.

THen I'm getting into Linux and then going into security.
FYI -

The topics you posted are wide ranging and really don't mesh well as far as a specific skill set. They all have their own lane. IMO, you'd drive yourself crazy trying to learn everything. It's best to find a field and specialize it in. Networking fundamentals bridges all, but thats about it.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
FYI -

The topics you posted are wide ranging and really don't mesh well as far as a specific skill set. They all have their own lane. IMO, you'd drive yourself crazy trying to learn everything. It's best to find a field and specialize it in. Networking fundamentals bridges all, but thats about it.

what should I do then? Cyber securityis something I’m not ready yet for? I need more experience. I got the S+ but it never helped since I got tired I need certs.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
what should I do then? Cyber securityis something I’m not ready yet for? I need more experience. I got the S+ but it never helped since I got tired I need certs.
I wouldnt say you arent ready for CS. My advise is to narrow your learning to a specific aspect of security.

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor
I wouldnt say you arent ready for CS. My advise is to narrow your learning to a specific aspect of security.

The real things that people don't understand about "cybersecurity" is that:

1) It's everyone's responsibility
2) It's actually the auditing and enforcement of what good IT standards and policies that you should already have in place.
3) There are 20+ subcategories for "cybersecurity"
4) You really have to have a mindset for it

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Entry level jobs are extremely hard to get in the Cybersecurity field, I have a S+ and 2 years in basically a bs position that didn't teach me anything.

I know light Linux, wireshark, Nmap and a few other cybersecurity tools.

These skills get no call backs so I need a entry level opportunity hence I wanted the CCNA to get into the door, even in a Network Support or field tech position.

Which is why I asked what to do? I can't keep on applying and getting no feedback.

rebel

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Entry level jobs are extremely hard to get in the Cybersecurity field, I have a S+ and 2 years in basically a bs position that didn't teach me anything.

These skills get no call backs so I need a entry level opportunity hence I wanted the CCNA to get into the door, even in a Network Support or field tech position.

Which is why I asked what to do? I can't keep on applying and getting no feedback.

have you tried to align what you want to do with the NICE cybersecurity work framework?

The career pathway tool here is based on the framework, also the heat map is informative:

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
have you tried to align what you want to do with the NICE cybersecurity work framework?

The career pathway tool here is based on the framework, also the heat map is informative:

I'm checking it out but it says entry level Cyber Tech is 92k and that's kinda hard to believe. According to that list I need a higher degree and a bunch of skills I wasn't trained in.

I'm looking entry level so if I have to go back to school, any tech schools you recommend? New Horizons or anything like that?

mozartte

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I would suggest getting into IT for a new comer. Get at CCNA, find local IT security groups in your area/ join them, get the CISSP and you will be well on your way within a few short years.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I would suggest getting into IT for a new comer. Get at CCNA, find local IT security groups in your area/ join them, get the CISSP and you will be well on your way within a few short years.

Can I ask why you feel the CCNA is the step? I would advise by one dude as well.

b_visionary

Seeing booty, imagining shit.
BGOL Patreon Investor

Do you have a situation where you can set up a practice network?

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor

What area do yo live in?? Most people get into Security through help desk positions, and then transition. Also, apply to managed service providers who have Security Operation Centers (SOC) as they tend to have a high turnover rate, but having that on your resume will often lead to better opportunities...

Your next step should also be to get a next level cert such as CEH, OSCP, CySA+, Pentest+, GCIA, CHFI, etc...

rebel

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm checking it out but it says entry level Cyber Tech is 92k and that's kinda hard to believe. According to that list I need a higher degree and a bunch of skills I wasn't trained in.

I'm looking entry level so if I have to go back to school, any tech schools you recommend? New Horizons or anything like that?

entry level in what concentration? network/infrastructure security? You mentioned you worked with wireshark / similar tools so network based forensics can be a pivot with your transferrable skills with addition to commercial/opensource network based IDS/IPS, netflow solutions. SANS institute is good but expensive, cybrary.it has good material too and career paths training. twitter is also good source of infosec/blackinfosec info and resources. maybe you should seek a consultation with someone offering services to guide you on your path. This is one person I follow on twitter that offer such services:

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Do you have a situation where you can set up a practice network?

Virtualbox or VMWARE I set up a few linux machines and network them. I have kali and a few unbuntu servers set up.

What area do yo live in?? Most people get into Security through help desk positions, and then transition. Also, apply to managed service providers who have Security Operation Centers (SOC) as they tend to have a high turnover rate, but having that on your resume will often lead to better opportunities...

Your next step should also be to get a next level cert such as CEH, OSCP, CySA+, Pentest+, GCIA, CHFI, etc...

The CEH is pretty expensive which is why I haven't called on it yet, they still call me to this day and I requested info after I got fired in september. I'm working crappy jobs that barely pay 500 a week right now to cover my rent. I didn't get the ceh because I didn't think it would help with my experience. My last job was a SOC but their racist crackers who fired me. The messed up part of it is they started training the staff for Penetration Testing and fired me before they began, really racist crackers.
That experience would have done wonders on my resume, I was fired unfairly but it's life dealing with white people.

entry level in what concentration? network/infrastructure security? You mentioned you worked with wireshark / similar tools so network based forensics can be a pivot with your transferrable skills with addition to commercial/opensource network based IDS/IPS, netflow solutions. SANS institute is good but expensive, cybrary.it has good material too and career paths training. twitter is also good source of infosec/blackinfosec info and resources. maybe you should seek a consultation with someone offering services to guide you on your path. This is one person I follow on twitter that offer such services:

I'm on twitter and I'll follow that person, I got no choice but to take out more loans probably. Keep in mind everything I learned was by book alone, I never was trained in anything.

I was even thinking field tech or anything entry-level at a big company that provides training, I live in SFLA and not many big companies here who will train. I know a little about IPS/IDS I worked with a company that had a product that did IPS/IDS and you'll see what they did.

Mostly Linux IPtables but I didn't touch anything. I was done really dirty and looking back my fault for fucking with them for so long without getting anything outta it. It's on me and a bad lession learned.

ethnocentric

Rising Star
Registered

This is true, we just had a contractor quit for a better job and replaced her with a help desk special....dude is learning cyber and loving it.

mozartte

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Can I ask why you feel the CCNA is the step? I would advise by one dude as well.

I feel the CCNA can give you a perspective on how networking works. Once you learn networking you will learn about firewalls and securing ports. This will blend you into IT security and make getting a job in IT security easier. Many IT security jobs look for people with a networking background. They are changing the CCNA exam on 2/24. You can buy CCNA and other cisco books at 45% on Cisco press until tomorrow.

SW_3

Potential Star
Registered
There's unlimited free training and one free certification voucher, If you are one of the following:

Active Duty U.S. Military
Any active duty service member who will transition from military service to the civilian workforce in the next 6 months with an honorable discharge status.
U.S. Veterans
Any veteran separated or retired from the military with an honorable discharge status.
U.S. National Guard/Reservists
Any active member of the National Guard and Reserve that is currently in a part-time status. If the service member is on active duty status in the National Guard or Reserve, they are subject to the active duty eligibility. See FAQ for full description.
Spouses
Spouses of any active-duty U.S. military service member, U.S. veteran, and active member of the U.S. National Guard or Reserve.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
CCNA practice question that I thought was pretty good:

A computer would like to communicate with a server on the internet. When it sends the communication request out its network card, what destination MAC address would you expect to see in the header?

A. The MAC address of the server on the internet
B. The MAC address of the router
C. The MAC address of the switch
D. The MAC address of the local computer

Fresh Chalice

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

A computer would like to communicate with a server on the internet. When it sends the communication request out its network card, what destination MAC address would you expect to see in the header?

D.

Street-Muzik

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Im late to the conversation but I'm a consultant for email and end point security. If anyone need solutions for cheap prices let me know

mozartte

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

A

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
I quit after A+ and the BS degree. Was learning networking to specialize but got sidetracked and went back to school to do Criminal Justice. Been a min besides doing basic computer upgrades, may get back into it to do some side money.

RimRod

Star
Registered

It would be B. Since the server is not on the local network, the PC will use the routers MAC address as the destination. Once the frame is at the router the MAC address information will change depending on the layer 2 technology in use.