Any IT Security Heads here?

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
taking my CISSP exam next month.
signed up for a course in Perl 2 days ago

Got a job offer from the govt today actually.....one of the intelligence agencies.....turned it down

rebel

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
taking my CISSP exam next month.
signed up for a course in Perl 2 days ago

Got a job offer from the govt today actually.....one of the intelligence agencies.....turned it down

cool, be best prepared to slay that beast. the Sybex Official ISC2 practice tests were helpful when I took and passed it.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
Standard Desktop Configuration. Basically create OS images for workstations and servers on network. Lil more to it but thats the gist of it.
That's cool. I'd imagine you'd need to be familiar with NIST guidelines for government contracts right? Do you work with Windows and Linux?

robfmnola

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's cool. I'd imagine you'd need to be familiar with NIST guidelines for government contracts right? Do you work with Windows and Linux?
Mostly Windows for me. I personally suck at Linux but my coworkers handle that area. NIST and Dod 8750 for hiring standards.

rude_dog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How old were u guys when you got your certs?
It doesn't matter what age you are to obtain your certs.. just get them..

Did u go to a college, a two year school, a specialized school, a program, online school...?
Each person varies.. I have a college degree in InfoSec also, but you can learn alot on your own..

Did u have a degree previously? And what was it in?
Bachelors in Infosec.. I'm not saying what school or such as they're not compensating me to shout out their name...

How much did these certs cost?
The certs vary depending upon the certifying organization. They range from 250 (Sec+) to 1150 (OSCP) etc..

How difficult was the studying?
Difficulty is only in relation to how well you know and understand the subject matter...

How do you fiND jobs?
There are plenty of jobs in the DC metro area that I know of (clearance may be needed). Also, you should look to start off in a SOC as they tend to hire entry level personnel. Look on DICE, Simply Hired, Indeed, and LinkedIN.. etc.. also you should join the local chapter of the BDPA (Black Data Processors Association) as it is a networking organization for black folks in IT,,, also ISACA and ISC2....

And how are the internships and are they beneficial and easy to find? Are they competitive?

Internships are what you make them.. They are often most beneficial for Dwight Mann... but that's another discussion for another day... The great thing about infosec is that you can learn alot on your own, and can be world class within 2 years with a steady informational learning grind..

with all that being said.. my last job only paid for my GCIA.. everything else, I did on my own... without paying for courses..

A lot of good information here but I have additional questions.

I'm retiring soon and looking to start a second career and I'm interested in IT security. I'll be comfortable in my retirement, but I'm looking for ways to finance travel and additional pleasures. I only completed 2 years of college before starting my career a long time ago. My current passion is to go back back and take some classes in African American History, just for my benefit.

I'm looking for something that isn't 9 to 5, 5 days a week. Something I can work at leisurely. Is that possible in IT security?

What is the bare minimum training I can start with and find that type of employment? If I took a year of training, would I be able to find employment? I'm planning to take at least a year off from work.
I plan to continue my education but want to know what I would need to start. What would the starting pay be at that point?

kinfolk

Star
BGOL Investor
I posted in this thread when it first started but I had to bump it b/c of the valuable information it contains and say thanks to all those that contributed. This IT security shit is real and at least for me life changing! I graduated in December with a Infosec degree and have already doubled the salary I was making back when I made those posts in 2016. No certs yet, no real experience, just the degree. I did do an internship at a pretty well known IT company's SOC but I really didn't learn shit and it was only 3 months. That shit looks good on a resume tho lol and got my foot in the IT security door.

I also learned that there is opportunity in all areas of security. If you are into the technical side, most of that has been covered here (networking, architecture, development) and there are so many good paying jobs there. I know the jobs aren't as sexy but for those not interested in having "hands on the keyboard" as they say, there is still opportunity in security as long as you at least understand the technical stuff. IT security governance, risk and compliance jobs and security consulting jobs are out there that pay very well. Mainly deal with creating security control policies for protecting data such as NIST standards and security training programs for employees, etc. After a few years you could probably shoot for the CISSP, CRISC, CISA as far as certs go to get more money.

If you are pursuing a job in the field, don't get discouraged. Keep putting up shots and one will fall. I applied to at least 200 internships/jobs over the last two years.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
how hard was the test? what you study with?

Old Security+ just expired at the end of June...Network+ expires at the end of august...im going to take that test because from what im hearing, the comptia exams are about to get harder...

silentking

Occasional Superstar **
Registered
how hard was the test? what you study with?
it wasnt as hard as I expected. I did a class that my job provided and then about 2 weeks of independent study. Mostly just taking the practice tests. I expect the CEH will be much harder.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Does the CISSP hold more weight as a better certification than Security + or does it make sense to just get both of them?

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Old Security+ just expired at the end of June...Network+ expires at the end of august...im going to take that test because from what im hearing, the comptia exams are about to get harder...
Yeah I know, I'm taking 501 soon, failed Nplus a while back

it wasnt as hard as I expected. I did a class that my job provided and then about 2 weeks of independent study. Mostly just taking the practice tests. I expect the CEH will be much harder.

That's really good your job gave you that training.

Does the CISSP hold more weight as a better certification than Security + or does it make sense to just get both of them?

CISSP is high level but really need the experience to be taken seriously. Don't make sense to be a newbie, get 3 to 5 years in first.

kogalee muhammad

BANNED
Registered
Comptia Security ➕
Comptia Server ➕
Comptia Linux ➕
LPIC 1 Certified Linux Administrator
SUSE Certified Linux Administrator
ArcSight Security Admin and analyst

Taking the CISSP next month.

Cyber security Federal government :yes:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
CISSP is high level but really need the experience to be taken seriously. Don't make sense to be a newbie, get 3 to 5 years in first.

Sec+ is like a high school diploma whereas the CISSP is your Masters degree.
My bad. I was thinking SSCP when I said CISSP since I don't have any security based certifications yet. I'm currently in the medical IT field but definitely want to expand my knowledge base and increase my job snatching capability. What would y'all say is the recommended path for someone to go about the security side of IT?

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My bad. I was thinking SSCP when I said CISSP since I don't have any security based certifications yet. I'm currently in the medical IT field but definitely want to expand my knowledge base and increase my job snatching capability. What would y'all say is the recommended path for someone to go about the security side of IT?

My answers might be a little different from the others.

Splunk certification - I'm seeing Splunk implemented in SOCs at just about every government agency I've been at the past few years. I took the Splunk Power User certification for free because my company at the time had a partnership with Splunk.

AWS Certified Security - This is AWS latest cert. A security cert from the biggest public cloud provider. Cheap cost too ($300).

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If yall got any S+ 501 ebooks drop them, I read through the Mike Meyers book, I can post if anyone wants it.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
tumblr_pi4zuokEDK1xgxs2zo1_500.jpg

silentking

Occasional Superstar **
Registered
I took a class a few weeks ago for the CASP and have a free voucher for the test. Anyone taken it that can tell me what to look out for?

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor
Damn how did I miss this thread? A couple years back, I found myself in one of those situations you never want to be in....where I was out of options on the path I had been on since I was 18 and wondering what the way forward looked like. I got a gig as a caregiver that let me work as much overtime as I wanted and just grinded out and saved money, then quit and went back to school. Got an AAS in networking with a double major in security. I know degrees dont mean as much in this field, but I needed to get the solid foundation and the program I was in gave me that. I got a co-op internship with the State and went in with the sole intent to establish value. Long story short, when I graduated and the internship was over they hired me as an Info Security Analyst. I'm in a bachelors program now and taking all the free IT training the State offers, which is a LOT. About to take the CEH class and they give you a voucher to take the exam, then the Sec+ in May. Def gonna be watching this thread. And to all the older brothers who think its too late to get in, I was 36 when I went back to school so its never too late. The field is too wide open.

Props, I know that Sec+ is tempting because it holds weight with the government but that CISSP is way more valuable.

silentking

Occasional Superstar **
Registered
Props, I know that Sec+ is tempting because it holds weight with the government but that CISSP is way more valuable.
I got the Sec+ back in June. The CISSP is def the major one and I'm building up to it. Just knocking down these other ones along the way. Long as they paying for the classes/test, imma get all I can.