10 Best Countries for Black Men to Retire Abroad

fourthstbully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Something else they need to take into account. In most expat places a lot of the things you need in amerikkka you find you'll not need anymore. A lot of these places you'll have no need for a car... there goes the car payment and insurance, you'll dress cheaply and conservative. In most Central and South American locations, you need seven tee shirts, seven slacks (shorts, jeans) and ONE decent outfit (not a suit or anything, just a decent outfit) the closer you can stick to vegetarianism, your eating will be damn near free. The farmers markets are incredible... a US 20 dollar bill will fill two peoples arms with groceries. There is suddenly nobody to impress! Almost everyone in some of these locations are financially just getting by so even if you have excess money, you don't want to flaunt it. Just live with what you need. It's a different life. A learning curve is involved but you'll likely be far happier than you ever were in the US.
I spent a week in Saigon. Vietnam does not import food. Everything is fresh and local and good. Low cost of living. I'm going back for a month next time.

jagu

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Something else they need to take into account. In most expat places a lot of the things you need in amerikkka you find you'll not need anymore. A lot of these places you'll have no need for a car... there goes the car payment and insurance, you'll dress cheaply and conservative. In most Central and South American locations, you need seven tee shirts, seven slacks (shorts, jeans) and ONE decent outfit (not a suit or anything, just a decent outfit) the closer you can stick to vegetarianism, your eating will be damn near free. The farmers markets are incredible... a US 20 dollar bill will fill two peoples arms with groceries. There is suddenly nobody to impress! Almost everyone in some of these locations are financially just getting by so even if you have excess money, you don't want to flaunt it. Just live with what you need. It's a different life. A learning curve is involved but you'll likely be far happier than you ever were in the US.
Basically you will be balling on $2500 social security if you don’t have savings piled up.

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
I’m actually building in Atlanta but buying a condo in Belize.
The only condos I have ever heard of in Belize are in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. You really wouldn't likely be happy there for a number of reasons. Not saying there are no other condos, but I haven't seen them.

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
Basically you will be balling on $2500 social security if you don’t have savings piled up.
You'd be better than fine. Most people in Belize make the equivalent of about 75 US dollars a week. The normal service type and labor jobs. And half of these chicks are supporting some dead ass, no account man and a baby on that much!

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In a thread titled 10 Best Countries for Black Men to Retire Abroad. :hmm:
Clearly your intent was to disrupt the thread or you have trouble staying on topic.

Either way, you failed. We're done here.

Now, to those interested, I found this site a while back. I'm not sure how accurate it is but its a starting point if you are moving or even if you are just visiting another place and want to gauge spending:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

My bad.
I apologize for pointing out other viable options for retirees beyond feeling the need to relocate to a whole new country to find happiness... :dunno:

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
My bad.
I apologize for pointing out other viable options for retirees beyond feeling the need to relocate to a whole new country to find happiness... :dunno:
Most expats don't leave the US to "find happiness" but instead to make their money work a lot harder for them. There are places where your money buys you twice the lifestyle, or conversely, you can live the same lifestyle for half the money. There are a LOT of amerikkkans, and especially black amerikkkans who are retiring without the nesteggs and safety nets enjoyed by their white counterparts. In a place where black families earn just $57.30 for every $100 in income earned by white families ... a place where for every $100 in white family wealth, black families hold just $5.04 ... a country where the homeownership rate for white households was 72%, while it was less than 42% for black households and those houses were worth many times less in median value! Set aside the issues of urban violence bred by urban hopelessness, police shootings (murders) of unarmed black males at every opportunity, a government hell bent on denial of of rights to liberty and justice. Twenty percent of all blacks in the US have ZERO to NEGATIVE net worth! Substandard schools, educations and health care. A country where the 2 most powerful lobbying groups are the NRA and the religious fundamentalist right! And you question the wisdom of a man concerning why he would consider leaving the US??? You should be explaining YOUR POV instead of me explaining mine! Your should inherently understand my position.

Last edited:

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
What's wrong with San Pedro and Ambergris Caye? My college roommate just took a trip there and enjoyed those islands

The only condos I have ever heard of in Belize are in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. You really wouldn't likely be happy there for a number of reasons. Not saying there are no other condos, but I haven't seen them.

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
What's wrong with San Pedro and Ambergris Caye? My college roommate just took a trip there and enjoyed those islands
Didn't say you wouldn't enjoy visiting there. You will! A blast, racing up and down the streets in those shitty little golf carts. Problem lies in trying to live there! San Pedro is overwhelmingly white expats, (not exclusively but overwhelmingly) comparative to the mainland VERY expensive... there are few places to shop or get much of anything but the most rudimentary staples without boarding the jet boat water taxis, or a Tropic Air plane and going all the way to Belize City for over an hour each way. The peninsula (just checked, some call it island, some penninsula, check Google maps and see why) is small, so most expats report that after the novelty of living in such an exotic place wears off, they find it confining and claustrophobic. Everything you purchase there, from a bottle of Belikin to a bag of popcorn comes there by boat or plane. YOU pay for that! Think of it as a miniature Hawaii.

There is an island that is more attractive to the local blacks called Caye Caulker a short boat ride away by water Taxi.... It is a bit cheaper, more peaceful and quiet... not covered with 2 thousand golf carts that is a better option, but still plagued by many of the ills I attached to living in San P.

Last edited:

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Most expats don't leave the US to "find happiness" but instead to make their money work a lot harder for them. There are places where your money buys you twice the lifestyle, or conversely, you can live the same lifestyle for half the money. There are a LOT of amerikkkans, and especially black amerikkkans who are retiring without the nesteggs and safety nets enjoyed by their white counterparts. In a place where black families earn just $57.30 for every $100 in income earned by white families ... a place where for every $100 in white family wealth, black families hold just $5.04 ... a country where the homeownership rate for white households was 72%, while it was less than 42% for black households and those houses were worth many times less in median value! Set aside the issues of urban violence bred by urban hopelessness, police shootings (murders) of unarmed black males at every opportunity, a government hell bent on denial of of rights to liberty and justice. Twenty percent of all blacks in the US have ZERO to NEGATIVE net worth! Substandard schools, educations and health care. A country where the 2 most powerful lobbying groups are the NRA and the religious fundamentalist right! And you question the wisdom of a man concerning why he would consider leaving the US??? You should be explaining YOUR POV instead of me explaining mine! Your should inherently understand my position.

I understand your POV. Thanks for sharing it with me. But what's the problem with suggesting another option for retirees...? :dunno:

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
I understand your POV. Thanks for sharing it with me. But what's the problem with suggesting another option for retirees...? :dunno:
Nothing, but what's the option? I'm all ears if you have an idea where people on fixed incomes can live a good life in the US while avoiding some of the troubles I mentioned. I'm living in what you might call the third world right now. I miss a lot of things i took for granted in the US. But the trade off is just too great for me to even think about returning. You can rent a safe nice house here for 300 USD a month with 2 bedrooms in a safe area. If you eat conservatively your grocery bill might be 150 USD a month. Girls are better looking on average, more approachable, people friendlier, healthcare IS an issue and one will need to come up with a strategy that keeps them in reach of affordable healthcare, but it is doable. There are no grocery store that in any way shape or form resemble an amerikkkan grocers, and no Walmart type stores unless I want to travel 150 miles to Chetumal Mexico. So there are sacrifices, but new people leave the US every single day of the year.

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Coworker moved to Bali last year. Cashed out and just left. Never been and don’t know much about it. Anybody familiar with Bali?

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nothing, but what's the option? I'm all ears if you have an idea where people on fixed incomes can live a good life in the US while avoiding some of the troubles I mentioned. I'm living in what you might call the third world right now. I miss a lot of things i took for granted in the US. But the trade off is just too great for me to even think about returning. You can rent a safe nice house here for 300 USD a month with 2 bedrooms in a safe area. If you eat conservatively your grocery bill might be 150 USD a month. Girls are better looking on average, more approachable, people friendlier, healthcare IS an issue and one will need to come up with a strategy that keeps them in reach of affordable healthcare, but it is doable. There are no grocery store that in any way shape or form resemble an amerikkkan grocers, and no Walmart type stores unless I want to travel 150 miles to Chetumal Mexico. So there are sacrifices, but new people leave the US every single day of the year.

People have been happily retiring, building homes for themselves and their families for generations here in the US. And they've done all on fixed incomes. They've also been enjoying traveling to other countries for vacation as well. Which was my original point.

So; again, what's the problem...? :confused:

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
People have been happily retiring, building homes for themselves and their families for generations here in the US. And they've done all on fixed incomes. They've also been enjoying traveling to other countries for vacation as well. Which was my original point.

So; again, what's the problem...? :confused:

The problem lies in just one look at the statistics concerning how most blacks fare in amerikkka. We are at the top for every negative statistic, and at very bottom for pretty much every positive statistic. That's enough evidence for me. But you have to do what works for you and yours. Not trying to force you out the country. Just sharing info, that's all. There is no problem.

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
Coworker moved to Bali last year. Cashed out and just left. Never been and don’t know much about it. Anybody familiar with Bali?

Don't know a whole lot about Bali, few if any here will have visited I would think, but why Bali? A general rule of thumb for setting up residency in another country goes like this ... Avoid capital cities and high tourism areas at all cost. With rare exception, the capital city in any country will have the highest crime while at the same time the high tourist areas will have the most expensive COL. There is much more of Indonesia outside of Bali. I'd begin there.
images.jpg

Thrill3Seeker

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Watching this thread closely.

I’ve lived and worked outside of the US for a total of 60 days so far this year. If I didn’t have a young son, it would be double the amount of time.

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don't know a whole lot about Bali, few if any here will have visited I would think, but why Bali? A general rule of thumb for setting up residency in another country goes like this ... Avoid capital cities and high tourism areas at all cost. With rare exception, the capital city in any country will have the highest crime while at the same time the high tourist areas will have the most expensive COL. There is much more of Indonesia outside of Bali. I'd begin there.
images.jpg
Facts. I’m leaning Thailand for the fact that I can get clothes made there for cheap. Dude in Miami told me has a custom suit making business but when he gets large orders he farms it out to a Thailand place. Another person told me he gets his business suits and shirts made over there on the spot for $100 give or take each. That and well.....other reasons. But I’ve never been there. Maybe next vacation.

smoovejazz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I had seriously thought about moving to the Bahamas, Trinidad or Tobago if things started getting really hectic up here. Can anyone give me insight on these areas to live?

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
Facts. I’m leaning Thailand for the fact that I can get clothes made there for cheap. Dude in Miami told me has a custom suit making business but when he gets large orders he farms it out to a Thailand place. Another person told me he gets his business suits and shirts made over there on the spot for $100 give or take each. That and well.....other reasons. But I’ve never been there. Maybe next vacation.
AHHHHH!!! 100 dollars for a tailor made suit? Dude, thats WAY too much! I haven't had a suit made here cause nobody wears suits here except bankers and politicians, but I had three shirts made for seven USD each and I also had cargo pants made for 12 USD. Now that's with ME bringing in the material. Most cottons here run about 5 USD a yard ... 2 to 3 yards required for a shirt depending on your size and shirt style and 2 yards for pants. And tailors don't generally sell the material, so that 100 dollars is very likely with you providing the material. If tailor does not supply material then he is free from warranting it's longevity. Look elsewhere... I wouldn't pay over 50 dollars for a suit in a developing country!

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The problem lies in just one look at the statistics concerning how most blacks fare in amerikkka. We are at the top for every negative statistic, and at very bottom for pretty much every positive statistic. That's enough evidence for me. But you have to do what works for you and yours. Not trying to force you out the country. Just sharing info, that's all. There is no problem.
Exactly.
There is NO problem.
All I did was make a suggestion.
But somehow, some dudes here took it as me trying to keep Black men in bondage. o_O

When nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, it's the complete opposite of that.. :dunno:

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
Exactly.
There is NO problem.
All I did was make a suggestion.
But somehow, some dudes here took it as me trying to keep Black men in bondage. o_O

Nothing could be further from the truth... :dunno:
I don't see it like that. For every black guy that wants to leave the US there's 50 who wouldn't dare, so most are on your side. Would you believe from what I have seen there are more black WOMEN who have abandoned the USA than black men? I can't even tell you how many black female expats I know of in Ghana, Namibia, Tanzania, S. Africa, The Gambia, Belize and even scattered across europe! I rarely encounter black male expats. Only ones that come to mind are a group centered in Kumasi Ghana, Another mixed sex group centered in Pram Pram Ghana, and a small handful of guys in Belize. And the guy and his wife in Costa Rica who gave up and returned to the US. Ladies galore, no guys of any count. Tell you this... spend a few months away from the US ... anywhere .... and you'll start seeing everything in the word differently. How it will affect you, who knows? But it changes you.

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
I would be careful how you promote your retirement overseas, just say you are looking for a cheaper cost of living and seeing different cultures. Many despotic countries try to micro manage their image and will openly attack you, calling you a criminal or block you from leaving.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't see it like that. For every black guy that wants to leave the US there's 50 who wouldn't dare, so most are on your side. Would you believe from what I have seen there are more black WOMEN who have abandoned the USA than black men? I can't even tell you how many black female expats I know of in Ghana, Namibia, Tanzania, S. Africa, The Gambia, Belize and even scattered across europe! I rarely encounter black male expats. Only ones that come to mind are a group centered in Kumasi Ghana, Another mixed sex group centered in Pram Pram Ghana, and a small handful of guys in Belize. And the guy and his wife in Costa Rica who gave up and returned to the US. Ladies galore, no guys of any count. Tell you this... spend a few months away from the US ... anywhere .... and you'll start seeing everything in the word differently. How it will affect you, who knows? But it changes you.

Still, it comes down to having options and making a personal choice. I never vilified anyone for their choice. I merely suggested an alternative that doesn't involve relocating to another country.

But sadly; for some reason, some folks here seem to dislike the concept of Black retirees exercising their own choice to happily continue living in the US after retiring from work... :dunno:

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
Still, it comes down to having options and making a personal choice. I never vilified anyone for their choice. I merely suggested an alternative that doesn't involve relocating to another country.

But sadly; for some reason, some folks here seem to dislike the concept of Black retirees exercising their own choice to happily continue living in the US after retiring from work... :dunno:

Most of the people here aren't going anywhere either... easy to talk brave on the net but it takes a huge boost of courage to go through with such a thing... it generally requires giving away or selling at giveaway prices EVERYTHING you own, going to a strange new world with different laws, customs, money, music, possibly language, food, holidays, weather and dangers. While at the same time leaving behind proximity to relatives, friends and familiarity. Many talk about doing it, while a relative few go through with it. Not for the faint of heart. A lot of people have never thought out the process and all it entails.

Last edited:

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
What makes it so?
My European friends call it that. They said racism is everywhere, but they say it's over the top in Spain & Italy. I know those are the main 2 spots that use monkey sounds and throw bananas to taunt black players on the pitch.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
most of the people here aren't going anywhere either... easy to talk brave on the net but it takes a huge boost of courage to go through with such a thing... it generally requires giving away or selling at giveaway prices EVERYTHING you own, going to a strange new world with different laws, customs, money, music, possibly language, food, holidays, weather and dangers. While at the same time leaving behind proximity to relatives, friends and familiarity. Many talk about doing it, while a relative few go through with it. Not for the faint of heart. A lot of people have never thought out the process and all it entails.

Amen.
Preach, brother.
:bravo:
A realistic, commonsense thought process to a major life change.

It's as I pointed out in one of my earlier posts. Folks are being sold one thing, but the truth of the matter is often quite different. However, that does not mean you shouldn't follow through, if that's what's in your heart.

But for me to suggest another option just seemed to aggravate some folks...:smh:

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My plan when I retired from the military was to take a trip every year to a different country. Had it planned out hit Australia and New Zealand(watch a rugby match). Go back to Germany and check out the castles and fortresses and eat. Norway and Scotland to enjoy their scenery. But then I got married and had kids and the wife cant grasp the concept of don't waste money.

I'm not down with living there rather live where I am comfortable and visit where I like. Its still my plan, may wait til the kids are out the house to make the divorce easier but it will happen.

Last edited:

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
Let me introduce you to a country called Italy:lol:
This ... but at the end of the day 99.9999 percent of people may hate you but they aint gonna do SHIT! Look how many black people hate George Zimmerman, yet here we are years later and he still laughing his ass off. Go where you wanna go. Like they say... most true badasses are dead or in prison.

Diomedes3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Panama is definitely a hidden gem. My boy schooled me on that last year. My goal is to own houses in two countries and split time. I'll probably get a spot in Colombia but will look into Panama too.

I liked Colombia Cartagena specifically but it really isn't that safe once you leave the Boca Grande area. The place is fairly cheap and I feel that country is really about to blow up. It has a lot of opportunities there imo.

Diomedes3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
in Costa Rica it’s cheaper to build, it’s cheaper to buy land away from the cities, if you want property close to the beach look to the souther pacific part or the atlantic side.

Electric, water, internet are all easy to get. CR is the most connected country in latin america. CR has been running solely on renewable energy for the last 3-4yrs, exactly 50% of the country is protected land that cannot be built on, as such it’s pretty clean.

CR was the next stop from Jamaica during the slave trade, you’ll find tons of black people but mostly on the Atlantic side of the country.

Nice info on CR. I didn't know a lot of that. My sister went and her only complaint was the food was bland lol.

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nice info on CR. I didn't know a lot of that. My sister went and her only complaint was the food was bland lol.
that’s because we’re a clean eating culture. the emphasis is on the quality of the food and it’s natural flavor over how you can make it taste. Growing up in the NJ/NYC area I also have to adjust myself when I go back home. My kids love it though.