Jackson State expected to hire Deion Sanders as football coach

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But why is that a problem?

nep·o·tism
/ˈnepəˌtizəm/
(noun)
the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

This happens in all aspect of life. Especially coaching and executive jobs. White people do it all the time. Hell, it's in the "how to be a jew" handbook.

The big difference in this situation is that JSU is benefiting much more than Deon and his son. JSU has had so much national network TV time because of Deon. Think about this, Troy Akman showd up to watch an HBCU game from the sidelines. Geesh, there are so many facets of positive butterfly effect that happened because of that one gesture. All because of Deon.

Lastly, I am a father of 2 boys, with another arriving in May. I would do whatever I could to help my children get ahead in life. Why wouldn't Deon do the same for his children? Fathers like Deon, Lavar, and many other positive black men are needed and hopefully they inspire other black fathers to do the same in sports, education, science, music, etc.
The Neanderthals practice nepotism more than anyone, while lacking more talent than anyone but if we do it, it is a problem? :confused: they even practice it in politics, a public entity.

I don’t care if Deion’s son is a 3rd string QB, if he gets a chance because of his dad, oh well.

pimp1101

Rising Star
Registered
You think Seduer is a good QB?
I dont have to think. he was pretty well rated by espn and 24/7

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
I dont have to think. he was pretty well rated by espn and 24/7

We shalla see

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
It says a lot that Jackson State basically had to stack the deck to beat Grambling and even then they won only by 3 fucking points.
Just remember this recruiting class that he got this year ain’t playing.

Exactly!!! We haven't even seen the full Deion Sanders effect yet. This year's team success is 100% coaching. Just think about how many top tier kids are now looking at JSU because of these past couple of weeks. Although I attended another HBCU, I have to salute JSU, they are about to be a lopsided division powerhouse.

For those who remember when Marshall was Division II, I think we are about to see this again with JSU.

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
Deion got kids to flip from Florida State, Georgia.... let that set in
WFBq.gif

giphy.gif

HeathCliff

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He overvalued himself but undervalued the SWAC. He is learning some hard lessons now but I think JState is going to be a beast this fall. We are finally back to having NFL talent come through the conference.
Coaching ability aside, I wouldn’t start putting a microscope on Prime until we get to the fall and see what he can do with his own class of recruits and the boys who transferred there because he was coming. I watched the Overtime SZN series with him and his son on YouTube and he seems to know what he doing on the sidelines although college level is going to be a different beast.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Deion Sanders apologizes to JSU, former football greats Lem Barney, Robert Brazile, Jimmy Smith after loss to Southern
Joshua Capers
Mississippi Clarion Ledger

Jackson State football coach Deion Sanders expects the best from his team every time it takes the field.

He didn’t get anywhere near that in the Tigers' 34-14 loss to rival Southern, however. The Tigers (3-2, 2-1 SWAC) gave up 30 points for the second game in a row while scoring a season-low 14.

The team that looked poised to take the Southwestern Athletic Conference by storm regressed in every facet of the game. So lackluster was Jackson State’s performance on Saturday at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium that Coach Prime felt the need to apologize.

With sincerity laced in every word, the first-year head coach expressed his regret to all alumni, former greats and NFL Hall of Famers alike, that support and encourage him since he arrived in Jackson.

“I want to apologize to all the alumni, especially guys like Jimmy Smith,” Sanders said. “I text back and forth with Lem Barney and Robert Brazile, and those guys encourage me and I encourage them every week. I’m apologizing for that.”

To put who those guys are into context, Smith compiled 110 receptions, 2,073 yards and 16 touchdowns and was named to the JSU All-Century Team in 2011. He played in the NFL for 13 years and finished his career with 862 receptions, 12,287 receiving yards and 67 touchdowns.

Barney, an NFL Hall of Famer, was a three-time All-SWAC selection and finished his time at JSU with 26 interceptions. He was selected by the Detroit Lions in the second round of the draft and went on to play for 10 years. Barney became the fifth cornerback elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Brazille was a consensus All-American while at JSU, and in 1974, he set the school record for solo tackles with 129. He also led the SWAC in interceptions that year. The Pro Football Hall of Famer was also named First-Team All-SWAC his senior season.

Sanders wanted to make sure all of the Jackson State alumni knew such performances would not be the norm moving forward.

“That’s just not who we are,” Sanders said. “I promise you that’s not who we are, and that’s not who we are going to be by any means.”

Last edited: