Breaking... Warner Bros entire slate of 2021 films to be released same day on HBOMAX .. Holy Shit

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Why are there different subscribers for the different apps? And why do they have different names? Why isnt it just 1 HBO streaming with everything?

They just now pushing HBO Max to be the next big streaming service. I bought the prepaid jawn for Max but outta curiosity I tried to login into the HBO GO app and it worked...I think anyone that's subscribed to one service has access to the other..

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They just now pushing HBO Max to be the next big streaming service. I bought the prepaid jawn for Max but outta curiosity I tried to login into the HBO GO app and it worked...I think anyone that's subscribed to one service has access to the other..
Hmm ok so why not just calling it all one name. Just call it HBO and be done with it. Supposedly hbo now has 40 million subscribers and HBO max has only 7 million; and thats why WB has decided to release its movies on HBO max. To boost its subscription. So why not just combine them?????

Man_Of_STeeL

鋼鉄の人 - より似たチタン
Platinum Member
apparently HBO Max is strugglin' to compete with Netflix...Amazon..Hulu..and Disney Plus...etc.

this is their way to try to get into the upper echelon of streaming services...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
apparently HBO Max is strugglin' to compete with Netflix...Amazon..Hulu..and Disney Plus...etc.

this is their way to try to get into the upper echelon of streaming services...

This reminds me of how Apple went gorilla pimp on the whole industry

Netflix doesn't have any REAL competition

Disney perfectly executed their rollout and had a little bit of the cheat code because they already had HULU ESPN and now FOX

so after them?

Its Amazon but again because its included WITH PRIME? It's tricky but regardless if subscribers actually watch it, its THERE.

HBO MAX NEEDS THIS and now with the knowledge vicious dropped there is a WHILE LOT of REAL corporate complications at AT&T WB

They NEED this to work.

But i think they also really need to shore up leadership and who runs what

Like Disney Marvel did with Feige

M.H.C.

BGOL Investor
So you are an adult.
No more teens are coming up after you?

I'm not rooting for theaters to fail but I see it from others. I have a firestick but there's just certain shit I HAVE to experience in a movie theater. I love the ambience, the crowds, even the popcorn. I hate to see shit like this honestly.

I got kids and I want them to experience the movies the same way I did but it doesn't look that way in the distant future

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
You got a home theatre but the movie theaters you went to were ghetto as fuck? Damn homie.

Do you have a car? You couldn't drive to the good mall back in the days?

You suck.

nope. i only go/went to creme de la creme theaters.

living in memphis now i drove 2.5 hours away to nashvile to the best theater in TN to see tent pole movies until the local bullshit theater chain upgraded to my minimum standards.

and yes my home theater has a better picture and better sound than a standard movie theater. the only thing i am "missing" is a 100 ft screen. and with my 75" dolby vision/HDR10 screen i don't feel cheated. watching tent pole movies and creme de la creme series on my system is a treat filled with joy.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Hey fucking moron. Did you read what I wrote? I said if people lose there jobs in the areas where there are no opportunities then crime WILL rise.

Do you get I am talking about the future? What is yet to happen.

You fucking crazy. I saw on the news in NYC that violent crime NOW is on the rise. Chicago, NYC, Jacksonville, Detroit.

Fuck your "decades low" fake news bullshit. Violent crime has already been on the rise. So go look it up.

Finally, I do not debate. I tell y'all niggas shit. Don't get it twisted.

stop it. :roflmao3:

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
The only reason the manalorian is popular is because it is star wars. There are other platforms that are making high budget high quality content such as apple tv and Netflix.

BTW dont let the shitty cgi in the mandalorian fool you, they are spending over 100 mill per season on the series. Most tv shows are not seeing close to that.

the mandalorian has shitty cgi?

gtfohwtbs...... :lol:

shitty cgi is the bullshit budget shows on the cw and the original netflix series. the mandalorian does not have shitty cgi.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Why are there different subscribers for the different apps? And why do they have different names? Why isnt it just 1 HBO streaming with everything?

i was under the impression that hbo go was EOL. and that hbo max took over. i uninstalled hbo go from all of my devices because when i want to the app it directed me to hbo max.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

shitty cgi is the bullshit budget shows on the cw and the original netflix series. the mandalorian does not have shitty cgi.

I didn't say it was sharknado level :lol: But for a series of this calibre you would expect westworld type cgi (except for the robots in the last season) .

They haven't even showed baby Yoda's legs

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member

YES! this.

if you subscribe to HBO you automatically have HBO Max. you don't need to pay for multiple streaming HBO options.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i was under the impression that hbo go was EOL. and that hbo max took over. i uninstalled hbo go from all of my devices because when i want to the app it directed me to hbo max.
So what is what? And thats the problem. Its too many different things or allegedly different things out there. Just call the streaming service HBO and put all content on it. Its that simple...

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
So what is what? And thats the problem. Its too many different things or allegedly different things out there. Just call the streaming service HBO and put all content on it. Its that simple...

STATUS UPDATE
HBOGO.com is no longer available. If your provider supports HBO Max, you can sign in at HBOMax.com or on any supported device. You can also continue to watch HBO programming on the HBO Channels or On Demand.

To learn more, see I have HBO (HBO GO). Do I get HBO Max?

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Honestly you just playing yourself. You are like talkback jr.

80% of those movies you listed are unknown to the general public. That is no one saw them bubba.

1. Did those movies make money?
  2. Did anyone really watch them?
  3. Why is the Irishmen so expensive? Actors salaries. That shit had like 3 set locations. A movie about old white men talking should have been 20million tops. WW84 was 250m to make allegedly.
Anyways, I have no idea why you just made that post. None. You did not prove that any quality blockbusters came out of streaming services.

you just say stuff. you aren't even trying to research what you say.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Honestly you just playing yourself. You are like talkback jr.

80% of those movies you listed are unknown to the general public. That is no one saw them bubba.

1. Did those movies make money?
  2. Did anyone really watch them?
  3. Why is the Irishmen so expensive? Actors salaries. That shit had like 3 set locations. A movie about old white men talking should have been 20million tops. WW84 was 250m to make allegedly.
Anyways, I have no idea why you just made that post. None. You did not prove that any quality blockbusters came out of streaming services.

tenor.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Christopher Nolan Rips HBO Max as "Worst Streaming Service," Denounces Warner Bros.' Plan
4:36 PM PST 12/7/2020 by Kim Masters

Illustration by Laemeur

To many insiders, WarnerMedia's blindsiding of talent and their reps with news that it would send 17 films directly to HBO Max in 2021 felt like an insult.
For many in the movie business — producers, directors, stars and their representatives — Dec. 3, 2020, is a day that will live in infamy.
“Some of our industry’s biggest filmmakers and most important movie stars went to bed the night before thinking they were working for the greatest movie studio and woke up to find out they were working for the worst streaming service,” filmmaker Christopher Nolan, whose relationship with Warners dates back to Insomnia in 2002, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.
Added Nolan: “Warner Bros. had an incredible machine for getting a filmmaker’s work out everywhere, both in theaters and in the home, and they are dismantling it as we speak. They don’t even understand what they’re losing. Their decision makes no economic sense, and even the most casual Wall Street investor can see the difference between disruption and dysfunction.”
Rachel Murray/Getty Images
Christopher Nolan's 'Tenet,' distributed by Warner Bros., grossed $359 million worldwide and $57.6 million in the U.S.

On that now-infamous morning, Ann Sarnoff — whose ungainly title is chair and CEO of WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Group — and Warner Bros. film studio chairman Toby Emmerich called the heads of the major agencies to drop a bombshell: Warners was about to smash the theatrical window, sweeping its entire 17-picture 2021 film slate onto its faltering HBO Max streaming service, debuting them on the same day they would open in whatever theaters could admit customers.
Surprisingly to some in the industry, sources say the idea was the brainchild of Warner Bros. COO Carolyn Blackwood who, looking at a relatively weak 2021 slate, saw an opportunity to avoid the humiliation of potentially bad grosses while currying favor with streamer-obsessed higher-ups.
The instant response in Hollywood was outrage and a massive girding for battle. “Warners has made a grave mistake,” says one top talent agent. “Never have this many people been this upset with one entity.” Like others, he had spent much of the day dealing with calls from stunned and angry clients. And that swooshing sound you hear? It’s the lawyers, stropping their blades as they prepare for battle: that Warners was self-dealing in shifting these movies to its own streamer, perhaps, or that the company acted in bad faith. Some talent reps say the decision affects not only profit participants but others who have worked on films as the move might affect residual payments. They expect and hope that the guilds will get involved. (The Writers Guild of America declined to comment.)
The Warners move poses big, maybe even existential questions: How do theaters survive this supposedly onetime, excused-by-the-pandemic move? Genies are hard to put back in the bottle — and no one believes Warners intended this to be temporary, anyway. What damage will be done to exhibitors by training customers that if they sit on their sofas, the biggest movies will come? And will Warners face serious backlash from important producers, filmmakers, guilds and onscreen talent? “Warners was the quintessentially talent-friendly, filmmaker-friendly studio,” says one agent. “Now Warners isn’t the first place, second place or third place you want to go.”
Many in Hollywood think WarnerMedia opted for this drastic move to play to streaming-infatuated Wall Street and redo the botched launch of HBO Max, which has netted a dismal 8.6 million "activated" subscribers so far. But one prominent agent notes that the top executives at WarnerMedia and its parent — AT&T CEO John Stankey, WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar and, of course, Sarnoff — “don’t understand the movie business, and they don’t understand talent relations.”
While Kilar pays what is seen as lip service to movies, industry veterans say Warners is sacrificing the huge profit that comes from selling movies in multiple formats and on multiple platforms around the world.
Even before Warners made its play, there was grumbling among agents that Sarnoff, who has been on the job for more than a year, had yet to get acquainted with key players on the film side or make much of an impression at all. That’s why many are focusing their wrath on Emmerich. “Toby’s passion is only about managing up,” says one agent who represents major Warners talent.
By the weekend following the announcement, Emmerich was calling important filmmakers with projects set for 2022 to assure them that their movies wouldn’t be dropped on the streaming service without warning. “As if anyone would believe he had any control over the situation,” says one producer with a major Warner property. “Toby probably had a really bad weekend, not that I feel bad for him,” says one agent.
According to a source, Emmerich tried to soothe In the Heights director Jon M. Chu by pointing out that the movie was still getting a “global theatrical release.” But industry insiders say the studio is pretending that pirates won’t pounce as soon as these films are streaming on HBO Max. As soon as one does, there's an “excellent version of the movie everywhere immediately,” notes one industry veteran.
WarnerMedia’s decision to attack without warning may be understandable given the blowback that was foreseeable. But to many insiders, blindsiding talent and their reps seemed like an insult. Sources say studio president Courtenay Valenti was the only Warner exec who dared to speak up about the need to reach out to key creative partners, but she was quickly hushed.
Much of this outrage will surely be mitigated if WarnerMedia is prepared to write big checks to all the profit participants in the films that have been moved. “It’s a critical time for them, at the highest level, to make this right with the talent,” says one rep. But agents say the guidance that’s been provided so far suggests that the company isn’t planning to offer what is now called "Wonder Woman money," in honor of the rich deal the studio gave profit participants in Wonder Woman 1984 when that film was moved to HBO Max.
Warner Bros. Entertainment
Warner Bros.' 'Wonder Woman 1984' will debut on HBO Max and in theaters on Dec. 25 in the U.S.

WarnerMedia had to shovel tens of millions at Gal Godot and the other key players because the company wants a third in the series. But that sets the bar high. Sources say even Suicide Squad director James Gunn, who is platform-agnostic, was not pleased when the studio followed its shocking announcement by floating a lackluster formula for compensating him and other profit participants in the film.
At minimum, WarnerMedia has opened the door to arduous negotiations with the major agencies over compensation for multiple profit participants in 17 movies. Did the Warners numbers crunchers, in projecting the cost of premiering its entire 2021 slate on HBO Max, factor in the cost of widely anticipated legal challenges? Industry insiders believe WarnerMedia may have opened itself up to those, especially as it is selling the movies to its own streaming platform when none of the profit participants has had a chance to figure out what Apple or Netflix might have paid for the opportunity to stream their projects day-and-date. Allegations of self-dealing are almost sure to follow.
Many think Legendary will be the first to file a legal challenge. The company fired off a previous lawyer letter after Netflix offered something north of $225 million for the rights to Godzilla vs. Kong, which has seen its release date moved from March 2020 to November to May 2021. Though Legendary financed 75 percent of the movie, Warners had the power to block the sale and did. Legendary asked whether the studio would then give it a deal to stream the movie on HBO Max — and got no clear answer until its executives woke up one December morning to find that the movie was going day-and-date on the service without the benefit of a negotiation. Legendary’s even more expensive picture, Dune, is getting the same treatment. The other companies that finance Warners movies, Village Roadshow and Bron, are also said to be aggrieved parties that might end up going to court.
And then there’s the talent. Dune director Denis Villeneuve is said to be among those who felt most strongly that a traditional big-screen release was essential for his film. Chu, who along with Lin-Manuel Miranda went through an intense courtship with multiple suitors for In the Heights and who had turned down a huge Netflix offer for Crazy Rich Asians because he cherishes the communal theatrical experience, told an associate he was “shell-shocked” after being informed of the Warners decision.
Sources say WarnerMedia insiders have been hoping that Disney will follow its lead and shift its slate to streaming. But Disney, which had seven billion-dollar-grossing movies last year, isn’t about to do that. Instead, it is moving some films to streaming, as it did with Hamilton and Artemis Fowl — likely Cruella and more — but an agent notes that the way Disney has handled the shift stands in stark contrast to what Warners has done. “They didn’t do a unilateral thing,” he says, adding that studio executives made pre-emptive calls to talent and their reps that helped smooth the process.
It’s also worth noting that Disney+, which has dwarfed HBO Max in terms of subscribers, has gotten a lot of mileage out of one original hit, The Mandalorian, which is based on an iconic movie property. “There’s never been a full-fledged franchise blockbuster launched on a streaming service,” observes an executive at a Warners competitor. “It starts with theaters and it starts with opening weekend.” And so far, those blockbusters have been the ones that generated merchandise sales and theme-park attractions.
Warners doesn’t have theme parks but it has reaped big benefits from movies that almost certainly would have been dropped onto HBO Max had the option been available at the time. Consider last year’s megahit Joker. Film studio chief Emmerich was not a fan of the project; it was defended by worldwide marketing president Blair Rich, who was recently pushed out. Emmerich lowballed on the budget to discourage director Todd Phillips from making it, and when the filmmaker persisted, sold off half the movie. Joker then became a cultural phenomenon that grossed more than a billion dollars worldwide, was honored with 11 Academy Award nominations and an Oscar for Joaquin Phoenix. Would any of that have happened had Joker been dropped onto HBO Max?
Despite their assertions to the contrary, many industry insiders believe that neither AT&T chairman Stankey nor Kilar has much interest in the legacy movie business. Kilar has said this move was made for the fans and told CNBC, “If we start our days and end our days focused on the customer, we’re going to lead the industry.”
That brings to mind a line in the new Netflix movie, Mank — a warning delivered to the upstart Orson Welles by grizzled veteran Herman Mankiewicz: “You, my friend, are an outsider, a self-anointed savior-hyphenate. They’re just waiting to loathe you.”
It also leaves out a long-standing Hollywood maxim: Content is king. And content comes from artists who aren’t always motivated purely by money. Says an agent who represents extremely important talent with business at Warners: “You had a decades-long legacy as being known as the most talent-friendly studio. Now you’ve gone from that to a studio that in starburst colors lit up a sign that says, 'We don’t give a fuck about talent.’”

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I said this

“SMH. Streaming services do not make enough money to warrant making big movies“.

You responded with a list of “expensive” movies that all lost money.

Then Netflix raised it’s prices on y’all. Hahaha. That’s cause they did so well at making money that they raised prices to make more money? Or is that cause they fucked up and need more money to fuck up more? Hmmm. Time will tell it.

Then I am moving the goal post? Please explain how you are making sense?

nope. i only go/went to creme de la creme theaters.

living in memphis now i drove 2.5 hours away to nashvile to the best theater in TN to see tent pole movies until the local bullshit theater chain upgraded to my minimum standards.

and yes my home theater has a better picture and better sound than a standard movie theater. the only thing i am "missing" is a 100 ft screen. and with my 75" dolby vision/HDR10 screen i don't feel cheated. watching tent pole movies and creme de la creme series on my system is a treat filled with joy.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Again you are an idiot. I said when theaters and malls close I predict that crime will rise in areas of low income and no opportunities because of these closures. I am talking about something that has not yet happened. Are you serious?

Also note that there is a rise in violent crimes in America.

However this is NOT what I am talking about.

Anyways I see you are running for board idiot. The election process is fierce. I am rooting for you though.
stop it. :roflmao3:

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That child looks real? It doesn't look like a fucking stuffed doll?
Have you seen the scenes with the rocket pack? With he space ships?
Smh. You are retarded.

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
Christopher Nolan Rips HBO Max as "Worst Streaming Service," Denounces Warner Bros.' Plan

Illustration by Laemeur

To many insiders, WarnerMedia's blindsiding of talent and their reps with news that it would send 17 films directly to HBO Max in 2021 felt like an insult.
For many in the movie business — producers, directors, stars and their representatives — Dec. 3, 2020, is a day that will live in infamy.
“Some of our industry’s biggest filmmakers and most important movie stars went to bed the night before thinking they were working for the greatest movie studio and woke up to find out they were working for the worst streaming service,” filmmaker Christopher Nolan, whose relationship with Warners dates back to Insomnia in 2002, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.
Added Nolan: “Warner Bros. had an incredible machine for getting a filmmaker’s work out everywhere, both in theaters and in the home, and they are dismantling it as we speak. They don’t even understand what they’re losing. Their decision makes no economic sense, and even the most casual Wall Street investor can see the difference between disruption and dysfunction.”
Christopher Nolan's 'Tenet,' distributed by Warner Bros., grossed $359 million worldwide and $57.6 million in the U.S.

On that now-infamous morning, Ann Sarnoff — whose ungainly title is chair and CEO of WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Group — and Warner Bros. film studio chairman Toby Emmerich called the heads of the major agencies to drop a bombshell: Warners was about to smash the theatrical window, sweeping its entire 17-picture 2021 film slate onto its faltering HBO Max streaming service, debuting them on the same day they would open in whatever theaters could admit customers.
Surprisingly to some in the industry, sources say the idea was the brainchild of Warner Bros. COO Carolyn Blackwood who, looking at a relatively weak 2021 slate, saw an opportunity to avoid the humiliation of potentially bad grosses while currying favor with streamer-obsessed higher-ups.
The instant response in Hollywood was outrage and a massive girding for battle. “Warners has made a grave mistake,” says one top talent agent. “Never have this many people been this upset with one entity.” Like others, he had spent much of the day dealing with calls from stunned and angry clients. And that swooshing sound you hear? It’s the lawyers, stropping their blades as they prepare for battle: that Warners was self-dealing in shifting these movies to its own streamer, perhaps, or that the company acted in bad faith. Some talent reps say the decision affects not only profit participants but others who have worked on films as the move might affect residual payments. They expect and hope that the guilds will get involved. (The Writers Guild of America declined to comment.)
The Warners move poses big, maybe even existential questions: How do theaters survive this supposedly onetime, excused-by-the-pandemic move? Genies are hard to put back in the bottle — and no one believes Warners intended this to be temporary, anyway. What damage will be done to exhibitors by training customers that if they sit on their sofas, the biggest movies will come? And will Warners face serious backlash from important producers, filmmakers, guilds and onscreen talent? “Warners was the quintessentially talent-friendly, filmmaker-friendly studio,” says one agent. “Now Warners isn’t the first place, second place or third place you want to go.”
Many in Hollywood think WarnerMedia opted for this drastic move to play to streaming-infatuated Wall Street and redo the botched launch of HBO Max, which has netted a dismal 8.6 million "activated" subscribers so far. But one prominent agent notes that the top executives at WarnerMedia and its parent — AT&T CEO John Stankey, WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar and, of course, Sarnoff — “don’t understand the movie business, and they don’t understand talent relations.”
While Kilar pays what is seen as lip service to movies, industry veterans say Warners is sacrificing the huge profit that comes from selling movies in multiple formats and on multiple platforms around the world.
Even before Warners made its play, there was grumbling among agents that Sarnoff, who has been on the job for more than a year, had yet to get acquainted with key players on the film side or make much of an impression at all. That’s why many are focusing their wrath on Emmerich. “Toby’s passion is only about managing up,” says one agent who represents major Warners talent.
By the weekend following the announcement, Emmerich was calling important filmmakers with projects set for 2022 to assure them that their movies wouldn’t be dropped on the streaming service without warning. “As if anyone would believe he had any control over the situation,” says one producer with a major Warner property. “Toby probably had a really bad weekend, not that I feel bad for him,” says one agent.
According to a source, Emmerich tried to soothe In the Heights director Jon M. Chu by pointing out that the movie was still getting a “global theatrical release.” But industry insiders say the studio is pretending that pirates won’t pounce as soon as these films are streaming on HBO Max. As soon as one does, there's an “excellent version of the movie everywhere immediately,” notes one industry veteran.
WarnerMedia’s decision to attack without warning may be understandable given the blowback that was foreseeable. But to many insiders, blindsiding talent and their reps seemed like an insult. Sources say studio president Courtenay Valenti was the only Warner exec who dared to speak up about the need to reach out to key creative partners, but she was quickly hushed.
Much of this outrage will surely be mitigated if WarnerMedia is prepared to write big checks to all the profit participants in the films that have been moved. “It’s a critical time for them, at the highest level, to make this right with the talent,” says one rep. But agents say the guidance that’s been provided so far suggests that the company isn’t planning to offer what is now called "Wonder Woman money," in honor of the rich deal the studio gave profit participants in Wonder Woman 1984 when that film was moved to HBO Max.
Warner Bros.' 'Wonder Woman 1984' will debut on HBO Max and in theaters on Dec. 25 in the U.S.

WarnerMedia had to shovel tens of millions at Gal Godot and the other key players because the company wants a third in the series. But that sets the bar high. Sources say even Suicide Squad director James Gunn, who is platform-agnostic, was not pleased when the studio followed its shocking announcement by floating a lackluster formula for compensating him and other profit participants in the film.
At minimum, WarnerMedia has opened the door to arduous negotiations with the major agencies over compensation for multiple profit participants in 17 movies. Did the Warners numbers crunchers, in projecting the cost of premiering its entire 2021 slate on HBO Max, factor in the cost of widely anticipated legal challenges? Industry insiders believe WarnerMedia may have opened itself up to those, especially as it is selling the movies to its own streaming platform when none of the profit participants has had a chance to figure out what Apple or Netflix might have paid for the opportunity to stream their projects day-and-date. Allegations of self-dealing are almost sure to follow.
Many think Legendary will be the first to file a legal challenge. The company fired off a previous lawyer letter after Netflix offered something north of $225 million for the rights to Godzilla vs. Kong, which has seen its release date moved from March 2020 to November to May 2021. Though Legendary financed 75 percent of the movie, Warners had the power to block the sale and did. Legendary asked whether the studio would then give it a deal to stream the movie on HBO Max — and got no clear answer until its executives woke up one December morning to find that the movie was going day-and-date on the service without the benefit of a negotiation. Legendary’s even more expensive picture, Dune, is getting the same treatment. The other companies that finance Warners movies, Village Roadshow and Bron, are also said to be aggrieved parties that might end up going to court.
And then there’s the talent. Dune director Denis Villeneuve is said to be among those who felt most strongly that a traditional big-screen release was essential for his film. Chu, who along with Lin-Manuel Miranda went through an intense courtship with multiple suitors for In the Heights and who had turned down a huge Netflix offer for Crazy Rich Asians because he cherishes the communal theatrical experience, told an associate he was “shell-shocked” after being informed of the Warners decision.
Sources say WarnerMedia insiders have been hoping that Disney will follow its lead and shift its slate to streaming. But Disney, which had seven billion-dollar-grossing movies last year, isn’t about to do that. Instead, it is moving some films to streaming, as it did with Hamilton and Artemis Fowl — likely Cruella and more — but an agent notes that the way Disney has handled the shift stands in stark contrast to what Warners has done. “They didn’t do a unilateral thing,” he says, adding that studio executives made pre-emptive calls to talent and their reps that helped smooth the process.
It’s also worth noting that Disney+, which has dwarfed HBO Max in terms of subscribers, has gotten a lot of mileage out of one original hit, The Mandalorian, which is based on an iconic movie property. “There’s never been a full-fledged franchise blockbuster launched on a streaming service,” observes an executive at a Warners competitor. “It starts with theaters and it starts with opening weekend.” And so far, those blockbusters have been the ones that generated merchandise sales and theme-park attractions.
Warners doesn’t have theme parks but it has reaped big benefits from movies that almost certainly would have been dropped onto HBO Max had the option been available at the time. Consider last year’s megahit Joker. Film studio chief Emmerich was not a fan of the project; it was defended by worldwide marketing president Blair Rich, who was recently pushed out. Emmerich lowballed on the budget to discourage director Todd Phillips from making it, and when the filmmaker persisted, sold off half the movie. Joker then became a cultural phenomenon that grossed more than a billion dollars worldwide, was honored with 11 Academy Award nominations and an Oscar for Joaquin Phoenix. Would any of that have happened had Joker been dropped onto HBO Max?
Despite their assertions to the contrary, many industry insiders believe that neither AT&T chairman Stankey nor Kilar has much interest in the legacy movie business. Kilar has said this move was made for the fans and told CNBC, “If we start our days and end our days focused on the customer, we’re going to lead the industry.”
That brings to mind a line in the new Netflix movie, Mank — a warning delivered to the upstart Orson Welles by grizzled veteran Herman Mankiewicz: “You, my friend, are an outsider, a self-anointed savior-hyphenate. They’re just waiting to loathe you.”
It also leaves out a long-standing Hollywood maxim: Content is king. And content comes from artists who aren’t always motivated purely by money. Says an agent who represents extremely important talent with business at Warners: “You had a decades-long legacy as being known as the most talent-friendly studio. Now you’ve gone from that to a studio that in starburst colors lit up a sign that says, 'We don’t give a fuck about talent.’”
lol!! Nolan is big mad.

He would rather the studio's sat on the movies and waited. Sorry homie, I'd rather see the movies now.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Att has no respect for the WB or DC properties.

All of the below have/had the potential to be multi billion dollar franchises.
Batman
Superman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Flash
Justice League

Suicide Squad
Cyborg

How will putting movies to streaming general 1 billion dollars per movie?

If this HBO Max garbage flops expect them to well HBO/WB/DC and expect your ATT bill to go up!

Price of the brick going up niggas!!!

Illustration by Laemeur

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Att has no respect for the WB or DC properties.

All of the below have/had the potential to be multi billion dollar franchises.
Batman
Superman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Flash
Justice League

Suicide Squad
Cyborg

How will putting movies to streaming general 1 billion dollars per movie?

If this HBO Max garbage flops expect them to well HBO/WB/DC and expect your ATT bill to go up!

Price of the brick going up niggas!!!
If Walmart signed an exclusive deal to only be the store to sell Heinz hetchup, Hellman mayonnaise, sweet baby ray bbq sauce, Poland spring water, and corona beer do you know how many people that love those labels would be forced to shop at Walmart or order from them online? This would channel traffic to them that even people that don’t shop at their stores will start going.. which means money will automatically go up... hbo max has exclusive titles that are not gonna be seen anywhere else but on their streaming service.. people that don’t even fuck with them or didn’t have their service that are fans of some of those titles that due to release might end up getting a subscription for a month or possibly monthly.. also with those titles being able to watch at the comfort of your own home will save you money if you have a family..$15 a month for 12 months is $180 a yr... they have 8.5 million subscribers so far is 1,530,000,000 a yr or 1.53 billion a yr... within months expect that number to grow.. even if they double the subscription that’s an additional 1.53 billion which is 3 billion.. now if they start pushing towards 20 million subscribers we pushing to 4 billion+... now this is revenue they keep not share like they had to do with theatres.. now add the overseas theatre money, some of the money they will get from the us market and they prob get an extra few billion... so multi-billion a yr subscription site + overseas market money means they generate consistent billions per yr with them controlling the product more and better... the subscription model is big biz new favorite money maker

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Hmm ok so why not just calling it all one name. Just call it HBO and be done with it. Supposedly hbo now has 40 million subscribers and HBO max has only 7 million; and thats why WB has decided to release its movies on HBO max. To boost its subscription. So why not just combine them?????

When the HBO app on my roku stopped working, I got the message it was not supported. I thought that HBO Max was a totally separate service, but basically they've rebranded the HBO app to HBO max and added more content. If you still have the original app, you can log into it, but you only need HBO max. The HBO app is HBO only, HBO max is like HBO+.

HBO needs to decide if they want their content seen or if they want people to use the HBO branded app. Most people want to pay as few bills as possible. If I didn't have HBO through my cable company, before they yanked it Amazon would have been my first choice, because I have other channels and can just go to Amazon Prime roku channel to access it all in one place instead of having several different apps. For other people, Roku might be that one stop shop. I don't see the conflict of having an app/channel on roku if stand alone/existing users want to log in and having the option of purchasing it through a third party like Roku. It's how it had been working before HBO wanted to get all the shine.

Before I figured out how I could cast HBO to my TV, I was upset I didn't have it, but not upset enough to get rid of my Roku TV and 3 roku players mad. I just wasn't watching HBO through anything but my cable provider. I was actually considering getting rid of HBO until the new season of Bill Maher starts again. I don't like watching media on small screens, so tablet and phone viewing are only for travel and when I'm doing marathon cooking sessions and want something to watch in the background. If it came down to it, I'd get rid of HBO before I got rid of my roku. Everything I download to my pc I watch on roku via the plex app.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When the HBO app on my roku stopped working, I got the message it was not supported. I thought that HBO Max was a totally separate service, but basically they've rebranded the HBO app to HBO max and added more content. If you still have the original app, you can log into it, but you only need HBO max. The HBO app is HBO only, HBO max is like HBO+.

HBO needs to decide if they want their content seen or if they want people to use the HBO branded app. Most people want to pay as few bills as possible. If I didn't have HBO through my cable company, before they yanked it Amazon would have been my first choice, because I have other channels and can just go to Amazon Prime roku channel to access it all in one place instead of having several different apps. For other people, Roku might be that one stop shop. I don't see the conflict of having an app/channel on roku if stand alone/existing users want to log in and having the option of purchasing it through a third party like Roku. It's how it had been working before HBO wanted to get all the shine.

Before I figured out how I could cast HBO to my TV, I was upset I didn't have it, but not upset enough to get rid of my Roku TV and 3 roku players mad. I just wasn't watching HBO through anything but my cable provider. I was actually considering getting rid of HBO until the new season of Bill Maher starts again. I don't like watching media on small screens, so tablet and phone viewing are only for travel and when I'm doing marathon cooking sessions and want something to watch in the background. If it came down to it, I'd get rid of HBO before I got rid of my roku. Everything I download to my pc I watch on roku via the plex app.
Good info...

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered

It's because they are different. The HBO app only plays content currently on HBO. HBOMAX gives you access to -"10,000 hours of premium content from HBO, Warner Bros., New Line, DC Entertainment, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, The CW, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes and more.

Gotta go admit, so far, I have no complaints. Looking forward to WW84 on Christmas.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
It's because they are different. The HBO app only plays content currently on HBO. HBOMAX gives you access to -"10,000 hours of premium content from HBO, Warner Bros., New Line, DC Entertainment, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, The CW, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes and more.

Gotta go admit, so far, I have no complaints. Looking forward to WW84 on Christmas.

I only commented because there seemed to be confusion about being two different services and whether one had to pay for both. So I wanted to clarify that HBO max is all that was required. The HBO app used to show current shows and movies and all HBO series like true blood, GoT etc which is all I needed, did that change after they came out with HBO max? The Looney tunes stuff is great and all, but that's not why I purchased HBO so that is just a recent perk. Though I do like DC Titans, I never would have watched it had it not been for the preview on TNT the other week.

The work around where you are supposed to still be able to log into the regular HBO app didn't work for me for the roku. When I attempted to launch the channel I got the message it was no longer supported on my device. I'm happy with casting right now though.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Hold on what did gal gadot get from WB?