Mo’Nique calls for boycott of Netflix over gender, color bias

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If a white woman who is a comedian won an Oscar believe me Netflix won't give her $500,000 to do a show!
if a white women won an oscar 9 yrs ago and hadnt did shit since and was offered a half mil for 30 mins work that would be considered a generous offer.. preciouus was 9 yrs ago folks...almost a decade ago..in 10 yrs you would call her al bundy with her polk high stories.."i scored 4 tds in 1 game"

BlackStar6870

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
if a white women won an oscar 9 yrs ago and hadnt did shit since and was offered a half mil for 30 mins work that would be considered a generous offer.. preciouus was 9 yrs ago folks...almost a decade ago..in 10 yrs you would call her al bundy with her polk high stories.."i scored 4 tds in 1 game"
If Rosie O'Donnell or Roseanne wanted to do a show for Netflix they don't pay them $500,000 and you know it!!

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If Rosie O'Donnell or Roseanne wanted to do a show for Netflix they don't pay them $500,000 and you know it!!
funny thing both those people had bigger careers than her you do kno that rite/?? monique like steve kerr with the game winning 3 pointer in the finals...a memorial shot but career wise forgettable and never put in the same category of bird, pistol pete, dirk, etc... monique got that oscar that was the game winning 3 but after that when u talk about her career its really forgetable.. no way would u say she was bigger than roseann and rosie... i'm not even a fan of those broads but facts are facts

Reactions: smz

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Monique is not a legend. Chapelle is not a legend. Chris Rock damn sure is not. Amy Schumer I don't even know or care about. The sista deserves at least 5 million
The others have played ball within the system. Monique rails against it. Which I respect but it will not pay your bills.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
she is worth 5 mil if they gave joke stealing Amy 13 mill. she isnt even funny. funny thing is Amy used Dave and Chris to get more money. so i cant be mad and Monique for doing the same.
This is simply business. Monique does not have the numbers draw to demand a multi million dollar contract.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member

She made very good points.. And i dont disagree with her overall point that she absolutely deserved more and that black woman get shafted, discounted and taken advantage of. But i also believe netflix's response in how they came up with the numbers. I also believe there was room to negotiate but her reputation and demands were at play in their decision to walk away. Her counter offer and the fact that she isnt represented by an industry big wig/insider dont help matters either (and im not saying i agree with that). Ultimately i think she overplayed her hand in salary demands but i support her underlying sentiment.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Peace,

She’s receiving a lot of unwarranted hatred in this thread.

People are criticizing her for calling out Oprah, Tyler Perry and Lee Daniels - three of the most despised black celebrities on this board.

People are criticizing her for being openly contemptuous of Hollywood decision makers but seem to celebrate Dave Chappelle for doing the same thing.

People are criticizing her for her ‘big mouth’ but have disdain for the culture of silence that led to decades of abuse.

People are criticizing her for comparing herself to Amy Schumer but seem to loathe Amy Schumer in every other thread in which she’s mentioned.

It seems to me that cats just hate her for her role in Precious, and are using that as a springboard from which to launch all of the other criticism.
First it was Oprah, Lee Daniels and then Tyler Perry. Now she attacking Netflix executives.

When a person runs around and says everyone is doing them wrong. It typically is them. Now people are just seeeing Monique for who she is. She is very entitled and for us to sit here and boycott Netflix because she thinks $500,000 is not enough money is crazy.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
She made very good points.. And i dont disagree with her overall point that she absolutely deserved more and that black woman get shafted, discounted and taken advantage of. But i also believe netflix's response in how they came up with the numbers. I also believe there was room to negotiate but her reputation and demands were at play in their decision to walk away. Her counter offer and the fact that she isnt represented by an industry big wig/insider dont help matters either (and im not saying i agree with that). Ultimately i think she overplayed her hand in salary demands but i support her underlying sentiment.
i agree with you. she doesn't deserve 20 million but if you give a non funny ass comedian like 13 mill at least give her 3-5mill. amy shumer movie ''snatched'' was slammed into the ground.

keone

International Member
First it was Oprah, Lee Daniels and then Tyler Perry. Now she attacking Netflix executives.

When a person runs around and says everyone is doing them wrong. It typically is them. Now people are just seeeing Monique for who she is. She is very entitled and for us to sit here and boycott Netflix because she thinks $500,000 is not enough money is crazy.
or she just trying to shed light on the corrupted business. but then again everybody on bgol thinks you are a dickhead so you must be a dickhead in real life.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
neither did amy, you saw her shit flopped right? but they had no problem giving her that money. 13 mill foh
Would you pay BMW prices for a used 1998 Camry? As a buyer you would offer fair market value for the car. No way you would offer $120,000 for that used 1998 Camry.

Netflix is no different from that analogy. $500,000 is her current market value and if you stated that Amy’s Netflix special flopped, that is even more of a reason for Netflix to offer what they did.

If Eddie Murphy wanted a special he would get $30 million because he would be that vintage old school classic car. It is simply business

KW13537

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The problem is that Amy will still draw (white) people to see her joke-stealin' ass. Mo'Nique doesn't. She can't even sell out comedy clubs on the regular. She should have negotiated up as much as she can, then do the show and let the work speak for itself.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
or she just trying to shed light on the corrupted business. but then again everybody on bgol thinks you are a dickhead so you must be a dickhead in real life.
Corrupted business? Netflix has more African American diverse shows than all networks combined. Many blacks have received nice checks. So is Monique really fighting the system or is she all about herself?

keone

International Member
Corrupted business? Netflix has more African American diverse shows than all networks combined. Many blacks have received nice checks. So is Monique really fighting the system or is she all about herself?
didnt you just named oprah and them? so why you bringing up netflix? i responded to the oprah comment.

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
No research here, but except for Dave and Chris and Amy has Netflix given any comedian tons of money?

I really think they fucked up with Amy. She used her popularity at the time to finesse a big pay day. I don't even thing it got good reviews.

Now Monique coming years later with nothing going on asking for a big pay day?

anchorman

Star
Registered
giphy.gif
She’s a fool talking about boycotting Netflix cause she only got offered $500K.

She’s sounding like Cuba Gooding’s character in Jerry McGuire until Tom Cruise had to slap some sense into him and show him how the game’s played.

Bitch, do the show for whatever Netflix offers you, do numbers like you think you can, come back to the table and renegotiate for $13 milly like Amy.

Stop crying!!! Start playing the game.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
she is worth 5 mil if they gave joke stealing Amy 13 mill. she isnt even funny. funny thing is Amy used Dave and Chris to get more money. so i cant be mad and Monique for doing the same.
we not talking about talent we talking about worth..in bizzness you a bout making money in fact in bizzness when you do deals its about how much money a person can generate for you...if netflix paying 5 mil than she gonna at least generate 50 mil.. now by your own mindset you saying if monique came out with her own half hr special.. she could convince 5 million people to pay 10 bucks to pay to see her.. do you think 5 million people would pay to see a half hr special of monique for 10 bucks???.. you kno the answer is no especially at this moment so why would netflix overpay her??? ur smarter than this you kno in economics its about supply and demand and rite now monique is worth a nickel bag of chocolate in the street(nobody sells chocolate weed no more)

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Peace,

People are criticizing her for calling out Oprah, Tyler Perry and Lee Daniels - three of the most despised black celebrities on this board.

People are criticizing her for being openly contemptuous of Hollywood decision makers but seem to celebrate Dave Chappelle for doing the same thing.

People are criticizing her for her ‘big mouth’ but have disdain for the culture of silence that led to decades of abuse.

People are criticizing her for comparing herself to Amy Schumer but seem to loathe Amy Schumer in every other thread in which she’s mentioned.

It seems to me that cats just hate her for her role in Precious, and are using that as a springboard from which to launch all of the other criticism.
I think you make some great points.

But looking at the facts of the Lee Daniels thing:
Not for her they were not.

She fails to realize her value.

Monique is the prime example of someone that has had a little success in Hollywood and thinks she is a major player.

500K is exactly what she is worth in this situation. She is not as popular and talented as she thinks.

I've criticized her and its not for the issues you mentioned. My issue is, she is trying to play on a very real issue in hollywood only to boost her profile and her money grab. Before her career went in the tank, and she was eating, none of this shit was a problem, but now that it is, she wants to get sermonitis. Fuck her and any other self righteous ass 'celebrity' who lessens a real issue by trying to personally capitalize on it... :hmm:

@Ill Paragraph , Peace.

As I said, I thought she made a compelling argument in the video.
I'm not in agreement with her on this though.
Your points are well taken. When Precious came out, in discussion threads about in on BGOL, most guys took issue with Mo'Nique's role. Many felt he didn't deserve it. The character was too negative, etc. I disagreed and still do. Mo'Nique is a fine actress and deserved the Oscar she received. Many, many Oscars are given out to those who played despicable characters. That said, yes Chappelle complained about Hollywood decision makers, but one crucial difference between him and Mo'Nique is that Dave didn't name names like Mo'Nique did. That's made a world of difference in the trajectory of her career.

@IT IS WHAT IT IS I agree with all you said. This isn't an issue of racial or sex discrimination. Netflix exercised "Mo'Nique discrimination". A deal with Netflix didn't work out? That's too bad. That's just the way things go sometimes. But it's unprofessional to react to every perceived slight by going on a campaign.

@Deezz I do believe Netflix lowballed Mo'Nique, but also she diminished the value of her brand by her public emotional overreactions whenever she felt she was treated unjustly. She says too much and burns bridges. She is a seasoned vet and a good comedian. But she started sounding like Umar Johnson when she called herself "the most decorated comedian" in the world and "the female Richard Pryor".

moblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Last chick I messed with was like that. At first I sat back and didn’t think on it. Then once I thought hmmm you had issues at work, your last relationship , issues with your sister n law, and issues with your living arrangements there is 1 common denominator “her”. I excused myself from that situation.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Last chick I messed with was like that. At first I sat back and didn’t think on it. Then once I thought hmmm you had issues at work, your last relationship , issues with your sister n law, and issues with your living arrangements there is 1 common denominator “her”. I excused myself from that situation.
Good move on your part. People like that tend to take everything so personal. They view damn near everything as an attack on their character.

I listen to Monique on Sway and she seem to be doing just that. She signed up to do Precious when it was just an independent film so she only got 50k. In one breath she said she did not do it for the money because the story was so powerful that if it changed one life it was worth it. It was not until Liongates purchased the movie that she had issues. When they asked her to promote the movie she was like no. I am not doing anything for free. Oprah even offered her jet to come scoop her and she was like nope. Tyler Perry stepped in and was like “ listen, if you get an Oscar nomination your next film will be between $3 to 5 million. If you win an Oscar your next film would be $8 to 15 million.” She was like fuck that and ran her mouth and refused to promote.

That was her time to capitalize off a great project. She was so caught up in thinking people were doing her wrong she did not think long term.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
@IT IS WHAT IT IS I agree with all you said. This isn't an issue of racial or sex discrimination. Netflix exercised "Mo'Nique discrimination". A deal with Netflix didn't work out? That's too bad. That's just the way things go sometimes. But it's unprofessional to react to every perceived slight by going on a campaign.

@Deezz I do believe Netflix lowballed Mo'Nique, but also she diminished the value of her brand by her public emotional overreactions whenever she felt she was treated unjustly. She says too much and burns bridges. She is a seasoned vet and a good comedian. But she started sounding like Umar Johnson when she called herself "the most decorated comedian" in the world and "the female Richard Pryor".

Absolutely Fam. Thats what a negotiation is, and it's netflix right to offer what they want to. Lowball is subjective, and while she has somewhat of a pedigree, IMO, she's not been hot for a minute, and netflix and other companies are about the business of making money, not giving contracts based on lifetime achievement awards.

The fact that this isn't the first time she's bitched and whined publicly when she didn't get her way and initiated wars with others shows that this is really just a tantrum she throws like a spoiled child when she doesn't get her way, and she frankly doesn't give a damn about the racial and gender dynamic she claims is the issue. She is a professional comedienne and actress and these are carefully crafted and orchestrated 'arguments' to elicit the response she wants.

She actually quite pathetic with this nonsense, and is more than likely black balling herself... She may be in for a real meltdown soon... :smh:

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
No research here, but except for Dave and Chris and Amy has Netflix given any comedian tons of money?

I really think they fucked up with Amy. She used her popularity at the time to finesse a big pay day. I don't even thing it got good reviews.

Now Monique coming years later with nothing going on asking for a big pay day?

In a nutshell... Amy had leverage, Monique has none and is trying to create buzz to make herself relevant again... She by extension is really attempting to pimp the black community for her personal gain... Fuck Monique... :hmm:

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
Would she be whining about this shit if she was given the money SHE wanted?!?! Hell No!! She's not trying to shed light on damn thing. Shes trying to use her skin color to get a bigger contract for herself and back Netflix into a corner. She feels she is 'entitled', is no longer really relevant and has been throwing tantrums for the past few years because of it. She only has started with this narrative because her pockets have personally been impacted. People like Will Smith, etc., have championed this cause even when they were eating well, this bitch (and yes thats how I see her), is trying to pimp the narrative so she can eat again... Fuck her and :bravo: to netflix for doing whats best for them in their opinion. Nobody owes her wack ass shit... :hmm:

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Peace,

She has no one to blame but herself. Like I mentioned in another post. People who go around saying everyone is doing them wrong are generally the problem because they are insecure and think everyone is out to get them or assassinating their character

Look at the Sway Interview. Monique blew a huge opportunity because of her insecurities. She signed up for precious in her words to help change someone’s life and the 50k she was paid for it being an independent film was fine.

Now why is it that when Liondgates purchase the movie she now is about the money? Refusing to promote the movie unless paid? Tyler Perry gave her great advice. Work this fame and reup on your next movie deal.

Lee Daniels and her started this film as an independent movie meaning very little money involved. That is like you and your homeboy creating a movie trying to get in the game and finally after hearing about the movie Sony Pictures comes in and scoops it up. Now your homeboy is like “Man fuck marketing the movie..pay me” You like “come on man let’s do this and get our name out their because if it does well our next film we can ask what we want for it”. But your boy is like naw man fuck that. Not only does he not promote the movie he goes on tv and social media trashing everyone. Would you still fuck with him business wise?

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Would she be whining about this shit if she was given the money SHE wanted?!?! Hell No!! She's not trying to shed light on damn thing. Shes trying to use her skin color to get a bigger contract for herself and back Netflix into a corner. She feels she is 'entitled', is no longer really relevant and has been throwing tantrums for the past few years because of it. She only has started with this narrative because her pockets have personally been impacted. People like Will Smith, etc., have championed this cause even when they were eating well, this bitch (and yes thats how I see her), is trying to pimp the narrative so she can eat again... Fuck her and :bravo: to netflix for doing whats best for them in their opinion. Nobody owes her wack ass shit... :hmm:
Pretty simple if you ask me. Have you got a chance to watch the Sway interview?

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
Damn ya'll act like ya'll dont' know your own self worth. I bet none of your foolz valued your services enough to ask for a raise when you knew you were worth it and ready to walk if not. Monique has every right to demand to be compensated for what she believes her self worth is and ready to suffer the consequences. I disagree with the call for boycotting netflix though. They offered, she countered, they said No, she needs to keep moving but to call a demand to boycott Netflix seems a bit of stretch.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
giphy.gif
She’s a fool talking about boycotting Netflix cause she only got offered $500K.

She’s sounding like Cuba Gooding’s character in Jerry McGuire until Tom Cruise had to slap some sense into him and show him how the game’s played.

Bitch, do the show for whatever Netflix offers you, do numbers like you think you can, come back to the table and renegotiate for $13 milly like Amy.

Stop crying!!! Start playing the game.

You want her to dance!! Exactly what they wanted Tidwell to do. He had to almost DIE for them to realize he LOVED the game

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Wanda Sykes said Netflix offered her half of that. And she pivoted and went to Epix (whatever that is). But she thanked Monique for speaking out. That's a more credible take on it.
I was just about to post this. I heard them talking about it on Thought Crimez just now.

Mo'Nique's style might be overblown in the self promo dept, but she is a comedy legend and she was lowballed and might be right about there being a negative standard for the treatment of Black female comedians by Netflix. This here proves a pattern.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was just about to post this. I heard them talking about it on Thought Crimez just now.

Mo'Nique's style might be overblown in the self promo dept, but she is a comedy legend and she was lowballed and might be right about there being a negative standard for the treatment of Black female comedians by Netflix. This here proves a pattern.

Who is checking for Wanda Sykes. As a business venture I would not have paid her either. Wanda is not going to sell additional subscriptions.