Mo’Nique calls for boycott of Netflix over gender, color bias

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
I just heard the entire interview, and other then her expecting Chappelle money, I agree with her and how the industry is treating her and black people. She is being raped financially and is finally taking a stand. Can't be mad at her for that, but she just need to say fuck Hollywood and do everything independent. And fuck Oprah
If she does everything independent and doesn't get more than what she would get with "Hollywood" then how are they ripping her off?

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
lil_jon_dave_chappelle_l_461c9a590dec5.jpg
:roflmao2:

DASK

I'm the Bad Guy
BGOL Investor
Damn they want 13.99 for the ultra HD package..was about to sign up. I still might tho.
Although I can download anything I want from the Internet. Just easier to hit play on my TV.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
To get a full picture of what Netflix typically pays comedians, Jerry Seinfeld was offered $100 million for his specials in 2017 and Deadline speculated Netflix coughed up $40 million for Ellen Degeneres.

Vulture's Jesse David Foxwrote in September that Netflix has changed the paygrade that comedians could expect. "I am well aware that these people are the top of the top’s top," he said, "but for comparison sake, I remember hearing of mid-level comedians getting paid like $10,000 for a Comedy Central hour."

http://www.newsweek.com/monique-netflix-amy-schumer-dave-chappelle-785821

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They approached her and tried to low ball her (based off some fuckin Analytics). I'm sorry but there's just no way you can explain a 500K offer for any established comedian. They should came with at least 1-2 million. Having said that Monique needs to build her brand back up.

Schumer ain't that funny, but she was in a top summer movie (which she wrote) a couple years ago and also had a successful TV show too.

What Netflix should have said, is basically what have you done LATELY that's gonna guarantee us Amy Schumer type eyes. By going public she can forget about further deals tho.
she prob couldve got a mil if it was a full hr.. but 30 mins mannn here goes this half a mil and love it

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She wants us to boycott because she's not hot anymore? Go away

That's like Iverson asking me to boycott the NBA because he's making a comeback and is only being offered the league minimum.

HUNTSVEGAZ

Hip-Hop father
BGOL Investor
She made valid points :dunno:

It's not always about being 'hot', even in business. Monique is deserving of that respect. Netflix didn't really want to give Chapelle 50M+, they had to.

It def puts Tiffany Haddish in a precarious position, as it should. We should support on GP. Let's see how your favorite streaming services feels about u and your $.

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If this was for a movie I would understand. She is an Oscar winner. But when was the last time you checked out a Monique (hell if ever). How much did Katt get for his newest one up there?

Raymond

Rising Star
Registered
Netflix had Luther. A series Hollywood would never in a million years show. So no. I'm not boycotting Netflix.

BlackStar6870

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And that's being generous, most black comedians are breaking on social media, not TV/Film/Netflix/Tom Joyner Cruise. That's the reality. Monique has 213k followers on instagram. Jess Hilarious has 2.8 million followers. Mr. Hotspot 1.1 million. This resume shit is out the window. Shit, Amy Shumer has 6.3 million followers.

Ma'am, have a seat.
Monique don't have a body like Jess Hilarious
16ef750925534bdc35e29875f28b63df.jpg

Bullet

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Naw she's in the entertainment business. that shit is like antiquities. You worth what people are willing to pay you. She agreed on 500,000, signed the contract and I'm sure spent the money already. If 500k was a problem you don't sign the paperwork and take your trade to HBO, Showtime, Comedy Central, etc. and see if they will pay you more. She's not a legend and at the time before she flamed out Amy was the "Hot" comic that also happened to be white with a different larger demo fanbase. I'm sure they still want to do business with Amy in the future so they paid up based on wanting to maintain the business relationship. They could give a fuck about Monique cause her work was just something to add content to their library. Naw Monique this one is on you. Keeping the Netflix.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Must be nice to be able to turn down $500,000.

But why do these things always happen to her. Is she that hard to deal with?

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Oh please, remember the film Precious? This fat, funky bitch contributed to that bias when she starred in that disgusting stereotypical portrayal of black women . :mad:

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn they want 13.99 for the ultra HD package..was about to sign up. I still might tho.
Although I can download anything I want from the Internet. Just easier to hit play on my TV.
Is it though? Everytime..I get weak and think about paying..I snap out of it

snark9

Cantankerous Bastid
BGOL Investor
Would be easier to support her movement if she didn't dash her street cred by campaigning for bitches to stay fat, then betray them big hoes by getting a stomach staple.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Regardless of the amount of pay she received, she would have had a Netflix comedy special just like Rock, Chappelle, Shumer, Ansari, Kat Williams, Kevin Hart, etc.

She devalued her already sickly brand by going public with how much Netflix was paying her.

This isn't going to go the way she wants. This was a huge blunder.

Considering that we all know how she burned bridges with Tyler Perry, Lee Daniels and Oprah, and seeing how she hasn't worked in ages, her making that dollar amount public makes it look like she is so unmanageable, irritating and undesirable that $500,000 is all she is worth right now.

If she hadn't gone public with that 500k dollar amount, no one would have known and been talking about it. Folks would've just been like, "Cool, a Mo'Nique concert."

She could have taken that 500k, and given a 10 million dollar critically acclaimed performance and used that performance to negotiate a higher fee for her next televised concert from Netflix and/or other networks.

But now...

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Did y'all actually listen to her? She said that Netflix offered her $500,000 to do a half-hour comedy special, but she wants the same $11 MILLION that Chris Rock. Dave Chappelle and reportedly Amy Schumer got.
She never said that overall Netflix programming has any color bias or gender bias.
Monique is claiming that Netflix is now racist and sexist solely because they won't pay HER more than a HALF MILLION DOLLARS to do one 30 MINUTE stand-up special.
Maybe she should solicit boycott support from other Black Hollywood power brokers like Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry and Lee Daniels and... oh wait...
:hypnotised:

Her agent needs to be fired, not Netflix.:hmm: The fuck? It's a business lady and you already rich. Get the agent they using! DUH

PJN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I get what she's saying and fully support her but stop watching Netflix and watch what exactly? Amazon Prime is shit, I tried to watch their version of Black Mirror and I couldn't make it past the 2nd episode

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Her agent needs to be fired, not Netflix.:hmm: The fuck? It's a business lady and you already rich. Get the agent they using! DUH
Exactly.

She is burning bridges like a professional arsonist. Blackballing herself. I think she totally deserved her Oscar. But the reality of Hollywood is when you are Black, winning an Oscar does not mean you're gonna be flooded with offers for the rest of your life. Now she's burned bridges with the hottest player in the TV game right now, Netflix. This shenanigan might be the nail in her coffin. I can't see HBO or anyone else messing with her now, lest they risk being put out there like she's doing Netflix.

...And all she ever had to do for the last few years is, shut the f*ck up. How in the world does it benefit her to put every perceived unfairness from power brokers on blast?

Her husband needs his ass kicked for lending support to this fuckery.

Iron Man

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Maybe you don’t see her point or disagree with it but I do and agree their shouldn’t be a 12 million dollar gap between her and Amy.
Schumer has been a box office draw whether you like her movies are not and despite if those movies made bank, she sells seats at the box office. Monique shot herself in the foot with the rant about not getting any parts and how she was supposed to get the lead in Empire. Besides her standup is really not that good to demand so much especially when you haven't done anything in 5 or more years.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
To get a full picture of what Netflix typically pays comedians, Jerry Seinfeld was offered $100 million for his specials in 2017 and Deadline speculated Netflix coughed up $40 million for Ellen Degeneres.

Vulture's Jesse David Foxwrote in September that Netflix has changed the paygrade that comedians could expect. "I am well aware that these people are the top of the top’s top," he said, "but for comparison sake, I remember hearing of mid-level comedians getting paid like $10,000 for a Comedy Central hour."

http://www.newsweek.com/monique-netflix-amy-schumer-dave-chappelle-785821
Naming the top of the top isn't giving "the full picture" because Monique isn't one of them. She's literally NEVER had a special out. No one has seen an hour of monique stand up on any outlet.

Go and find me what the mid tier and lower tier are getting

Netflix has THOUSANDS of comedy bits that come out. Tell me what Moeshe Kesher got for his. People like that

Backshot Bully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Naming the top of the top isn't giving "the full picture" because Monique isn't one of them. She's literally NEVER had a special out. No one has seen an hour of monique stand up on any outlet.

Go and find me what the mid tier and lower tier are getting

Netflix has THOUSANDS of comedy bits that come out. Tell me what Moeshe Kesher got for his. People like that
so not true :smh: she has a special on netflix right now and i think it originally aired on HBO or Showtime, ever heard of queens of comedy?

Last edited: