Mo’Nique calls for boycott of Netflix over gender, color bias

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just watched her on Shaqs All Stars and I watched her prison stand up. ..

She is lucky they offered her ass 500 cause her stand ups suck..

I also watched phat girls,soul plane and some parkers reruns...

She better IN Comedy Shows Than Stand up..

But she aint no A lister

Last edited:

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah she closer to Nephew Tommy but I'd rather hear Nephew Tommy prank calls then watch anything from Monique. Monique overestimates her brand. Her brand has devalued a lot.

I agree 100%

I still say it's her yes man husband acting as her manager. .

Bad advice added to her is a recipe for disaster

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
I disagree,Cedric is funny.

She on Nephew Tommy level
No question Cedric is funnier....now I am wondering what is Monique's level?...not talking about who is funnier but in terms of audience....now that I think about it, from a purely standup perspective, she probably aint on Cedric's level...both of them have been on TV and movies over the years so yeah, Cedric is bigger...Nephew Tommy? I would rather see a Tommy special but I still think she has a bigger name...either way, half a million for 30 minutes for her doesn't sound too crazy to me at this point in her career unless she is leaving something out...would still like to know how much they paid Cedric to figure out a scale for a well known but not top of the game comedian...Lavell Crawford got a special and she is not on the same planet as Lavell in terms of funny....wonder how much he got?

THE GRANDJURY

Rising Star
Registered
Is it though? Everytime..I get weak and think about paying..I snap out of it
$14 aint shit a month for their service. So many time I have caught a show I would of never had downloaded but because all I had to do was click it, I found a new show I loved.

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
$14 aint shit a month for their service. So many time I have caught a show I would of never had downloaded but because all I had to do was click it, I found a new show I loved.

I need to be like that with new shows....I know what I like and it's hard for me to give new stuff a chance....maybe I'll get there one day..who knows.

THE GRANDJURY

Rising Star
Registered
I just went through Netflix stand up comedian category and saw Monique has a hour special but at a womans prison, hairy legs and all. So I'm pretty sure Netflix already knows the type of traffic she pulls and the money they offered her is based off that.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Check this article.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...-netflix-pays-movie-and-tv-show-licensing.asp

Netflix is a business, they obviously care about subscribers. If we invest X to get more subscribers or retain our current subscribers then paying X makes sense.

My opinion is Monique right now isn't relevant. I am curious as to what they paid Haddish recently because then you can say they are being biased or whatever. But being the funniest in Girls Trip and how much she's in your face as of lately, she's millions worthy but as humble as she is, she'd probably take whatever.

Mo is trying to go off of her past and your name ain't holding water like a Chappelle or Chris Rock. You burned bridges by venting publicly by the very people that you want to be hired by in the past.

You just need to go the route of Kevin Hart and produce and own your own shit.

Pernt, period, blank...

If you can't get a job, create one.

THE GRANDJURY

Rising Star
Registered
I need to be like that with new shows....I know what I like and it's hard for me to give new stuff a chance....maybe I'll get there one day..who knows.
Shows like House of Cards, Luther, Ozark, Narcos, El Chapo, and the many documentaries, to name a few, I would of never downloaded. It's that convenience I'm paying for. If it wasn't for local sports, I would of cut the cord already

Ill Paragraph

Lord of the Perfect Black
BGOL Investor
Peace,

I just watched the Sway interview.

Her arguments were compelling.

She’s receiving a lot of unwarranted hatred in this thread.

People are criticizing her for calling out Oprah, Tyler Perry and Lee Daniels - three of the most despised black celebrities on this board.

People are criticizing her for being openly contemptuous of Hollywood decision makers but seem to celebrate Dave Chappelle for doing the same thing.

People are criticizing her for her ‘big mouth’ but have disdain for the culture of silence that led to decades of abuse.

People are criticizing her for comparing herself to Amy Schumer but seem to loathe Amy Schumer in every other thread in which she’s mentioned.

It seems to me that cats just hate her for her role in Precious, and are using that as a springboard from which to launch all of the other criticism.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
Peace,

People are criticizing her for calling out Oprah, Tyler Perry and Lee Daniels - three of the most despised black celebrities on this board.

People are criticizing her for being openly contemptuous of Hollywood decision makers but seem to celebrate Dave Chappelle for doing the same thing.

People are criticizing her for her ‘big mouth’ but have disdain for the culture of silence that led to decades of abuse.

People are criticizing her for comparing herself to Amy Schumer but seem to loathe Amy Schumer in every other thread in which she’s mentioned.

It seems to me that cats just hate her for her role in Precious, and are using that as a springboard from which to launch all of the other criticism.

I've criticized her and its not for the issues you mentioned. My issue is, she is trying to play on a very real issue in hollywood only to boost her profile and her money grab. Before her career went in the tank, and she was eating, none of this shit was a problem, but now that it is, she wants to get sermonitis. Fuck her and any other self righteous ass 'celebrity' who lessens a real issue by trying to personally capitalize on it... :hmm:

GAMBINO

Rising Star
OG Investor
I just heard the entire interview, and other then her expecting Chappelle money, I agree with her and how the industry is treating her and black people. She is being raped financially and is finally taking a stand. Can't be mad at her for that, but she just need to say fuck Hollywood and do everything independent. And fuck Oprah

That's what her, her husband, the producer and I are doing. The projects I've written and will direct is gonna put her back on the map when we finish trust me.

Ill Paragraph

Lord of the Perfect Black
BGOL Investor
Peace,

I've criticized her and its not for the issues you mentioned. My issue is, she is trying to play on a very real issue in hollywood only to boost her profile and her money grab. Before her career went in the tank, and she was eating, none of this shit was a problem, but now that it is, she wants to get sermonitis. Fuck her and any other self righteous ass 'celebrity' who lessens a real issue by trying to personally capitalize on it... :hmm:

I get that.

Backshot Bully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Peace,

I get that.
good point
:idea:

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
Peace,

Yeah, the timing does seem self-serving.
All I'm saying good brother... Even the premise, 'They only offered me X, but gave a white broad Y, so boycott them'!?!?!' She's been on this crusade for a minute now, like shes entitled and shit. From attacking the Dude from Empire, to Oprah and Tyler, who as fucked up as they may be, have put a lot of bread in black actors and works pockets when not alot of other people were...

Think on it, what the FUCK has Monique done for anyone but herself?!?! Fuck her man.. really... :hmm:

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Peace,

I don’t like her either but her points are very valid. I hate on her for promoting obesity all the while she was dying inside about her struggle with her weight, and I know that first hand. I also think she’s right, no way she should be getting 500k more like 2mill. She should stop putting herself in the same breathe as Dave and Chris.

Also how the hell are y’all comparing her to Nephew Tommie?

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
I don’t like her either but her points are very valid. I hate on her for promoting obesity all the while she was dying inside about her struggle with her weight, and I know that first hand. I also think she’s right, no way she should be getting 500k more like 2mill. She should stop putting herself in the same breathe as Dave and Chris.

Her points ain't valid at all. This is the era of analytics. No one in here knows what Netflix standards are, y'all just hear the numbers she is saying and using flawed logic.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Her points ain't valid at all. This is the era of analytics. No one in here knows what Netflix standards are, y'all just hear the numbers she is saying and using flawed logic.

Her points are absolutely valid. Netflix came to her knowing analytics, and offered her deal. She didn’t come to them, there are way more female comics that are more relevant at this time than her but they choose her.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

2 mil for a 30 min special from monique are you serious?? so you saying she's worth 4 mill for an hr special??

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Her points are absolutely valid. Netflix came to her knowing analytics, and offered her deal. She didn’t come to them, there are way more female comics that are more relevant at this time than her but they choose her.
How do you even know Netflix came to her? Where did you get that from?

I don't know how Netflix makes up there budgets and clearly neither do you. I don't know if 500k is too low and anyone who attempts to do that by looking at the numbers of Dave Chapelle or Chris Rocj or Amy Schumer , they're not making sense.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just watched the Sway interview.

Her arguments were compelling.
Not for her they were not.

She fails to realize her value.

Monique is the prime example of someone that has had a little success in Hollywood and thinks she is a major player.

500K is exactly what she is worth in this situation. She is not as popular and talented as she thinks.

THE GRANDJURY

Rising Star
Registered
How do you even know Netflix came to her? Where did you get that from?

I don't know how Netflix makes up there budgets and clearly neither do you. I don't know if 500k is too low and anyone who attempts to do that by looking at the numbers of Dave Chapelle or Chris Rocj or Amy Schumer , they're not making sense.
Well if you watched the Sway interview she explained it all. She specifically said, Netflix came to her.