Mo’Nique calls for boycott of Netflix over gender, color bias

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
I was just about to post this. I heard them talking about it on Thought Crimez just now.

Mo'Nique's style might be overblown in the self promo dept, but she is a comedy legend and she was lowballed and might be right about there being a negative standard for the treatment of Black female comedians by Netflix. This here proves a pattern.

All due respect Bruh, referring to Monique as a comic legend is disrespectful to the REAL legends of the game. She had a nice run but a legend she is not. None of her material is iconic or cross generational and her body of work is average. Nothing exceptional about her Bruh...

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Who is checking for Wanda Sykes. As a business venture I would not have paid her either. Wanda is not going to sell additional subscriptions.
I would ASSUME Wanda has an audience that crosses over but I dunno maybe you're right. In this case, I'm actually a fan of hers and at least she's had several big shows and films.

But bottom line , she went somewhere else and claims she got what she wanted out of it.

And ultimately , if there isn't a market somewhere else where you can get the money you want , it serves better to attempt to CREATE that, rather than destroying Another.

Where's tbe market where Monique can make several mil? How does that work in terms of clicks and subscriptionS?

snark9

Cantankerous Bastid
BGOL Investor
Monique gutted her fan base of mostly black women, then pissed off hollyweird. 500,000 sounds to me like about where she is at.

her 'skinny bitches' demographic left after those bits she did, and the other half of her fans, the fat bitches, tuned out after the stomach staple.

She tried calling out hollywood and alienated herself.

That Oscar was for acting and has nothing to do with it. many black folks feel contempt for that portrayal of black women and see it as her benifitting off of selling out black dignity.

Her fan base might be smaller than she thinks, and might be why Netflix priced it that way.

O.J PIMPSON

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She hasn't been visible enough to command more. In your heyday she probably didn't get more than 500k for her set. Has she been touring? Popping up to test out material? This is the 1st I heard of Monique in years!!!! 500k for 30 minutes!!?? Snatch that bag, blow the roof off the building, then when they wanna talk, drop a number on they ass with the stats u just put up. Otherwise, sounds like she just want a cashgrab for subpar material and she disappears again.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I was just about to post this. I heard them talking about it on Thought Crimez just now.

Mo'Nique's style might be overblown in the self promo dept, but she is a comedy legend and she was lowballed and might be right about there being a negative standard for the treatment of Black female comedians by Netflix. This here proves a pattern.

Im glad Wanda spoke out as well. And there is absolutely no way to justify 250k offer to her based on all the numbers we now know.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Wanda Sykes is to well known to fucking offer her 250k.
Yea.. Based off of their established pay scale it just doesnt make sense for someone of her status to accept.

Good for them, but nobody is going to cancel Netflix because of them Bruh...
They both come off as bitter... Netflix has the right to offer what THEY think is fair value.... No need to justify it...
Discounting them as bitter is lazy and dismissive on your part. Wanda merely thanked Monique for speaking her mind while adding her personal experience. Monique may have overvalued her services but her main point was that she was lowballed based on bias. Now that we see what Wanda was offered i think there may be something there. Again, based on the established scale they had theres just no way to justify those numbers.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
Yea.. Based off of their established pay scale it just doesnt make sense for someone of her status to accept.

Discounting them as bitter is lazy and dismissive on your part. Wanda merely thanked Monique for speaking her mind while adding her personal experience. Monique may have overvalued her services but her main point was that she was lowballed based on bias. Now that we see what Wanda was offered i think there may be something there. Again, based on the established scale they had theres just no way to justify those numbers.

Wanda... meh
Monique, she is definitely bitter. Regardless of what is 'there', there has ALWAYS been a problem, and I really have no fucks to give about Moniques issues, as she is not trying to bring change but its about her pocket, and she is trying to link it to some type of discrimination to get her bread... If she was offered 1 mill, but found out others were lowballed, would she still be on this bullshit? Hell no.... Fuck her and her hurt feelings Bruh

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Wanda... meh
Monique, she is definitely bitter. Regardless of what is 'there', there has ALWAYS been a problem, and I really have no fucks to give about Moniques issues, as she is not trying to bring change but its about her pocket, and she is trying to link it to some type of discrimination to get her bread... If she was offered 1 mill, but found out others were lowballed, would she still be on this bullshit? Hell no.... Fuck her and her hurt feelings Bruh
I dont know if there is always a problem with her or not. Ive only heard of two instances (including this one) and both she makes valid points. Either way, i think there is merit to her claims. Just looking objectively at all the info we have, theres just no way 500k seems like a fair offer. So at that point you ask yourself why is she getting that compared to her peers... And its fair to question whether race/gender are at play. And when Wanda comes in with her first hand accounts it lends more credibility to the matter. At the very best netflix is doing themselves a disservice with these inconsistent offers... At most, there seems to be bias at play.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
I dont know if there is always a problem with her or not. Ive only heard of two instances (including this one) and both she makes valid points. Either way, i think there is merit to her claims. Just looking objectively at all the info we have, theres just no way 500k seems like a fair offer. So at that point you ask yourself why is she getting that compared to her peers... And its fair to question whether race/gender are at play. And when Wanda comes in with her first hand accounts it lends more credibility to the matter. At the very best netflix is doing themselves a disservice with these inconsistent offers... At most, there seems to be bias at play.

I totally respect that Bruh, but also, we don't know the dynamic of how they arrive at their figures. If its based on the current status of the performer, then both Monique and Wanda have been out of view for a bit. If its based on resume, then they both may have been lowballed a bit.

My biggest point is, Monique is NOT a person who I would get behind and support though...

Last edited:

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sorry Monique

VictoriousRepentantJuliabutterfly-size_restricted.gif
:frozen:
NONE. There's no rule that says there has to be one. A term that is thrown around FAR too often.
True, very true...but if Chapelle is not a legend, then...no one living is.

Monique is a well known, above average, OSCAR winning comedienne, however, hosting the Queens of Comedy does not fast track her to legend status.

I respect her sitcoms, she shows out in her movie roles, and even though I have supported her live shows, when I look back it has probably become the most underdeveloped lane of talent she has.

If Netflix came out and said they offered Wanda half a mil, Monique a quarter of a mil, and.........Sommore $350,000, I wouldn't bat an eye.;)

rebel

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
she should have took that 500k and kept it moving. If Netflix did a poll they would see she don’t have any pull to command more

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Can anyone answer this question for me?

Does anyone think Monique even makes 500k on the road doing comedy A YEAR?

She's doing venues like this one - a 350 seater. Mind you shes doing 2 nights and she may be doing more than one show. And at 40 bucks a ticket.

Filling that room once at that price is 14k. Let's say she does 2 shows a night for 2 nights.

That's 56k for 2 days-. 28k a night. And of course she's not getting all of that, the venue can get half- maybe more. She has openers she has to pay, travel and lodging.

I would say that makes her around a 15k a night draw. And I think I'm Being generous here.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

She's doing venues like this one - a 350 seater. Mind you shes doing 2 nights and she may be doing more than one show. And at 40 bucks a ticket.

Filling that room once at that price is 14k. Let's say she does 2 shows a night for 2 nights.

That's 56k for 2 days-. 28k a night. And of course she's not getting all of that, the venue can get half- maybe more. She has openers she has to pay, travel and lodging.

I would say that makes her around a 15k a night draw. And I think I'm Being generous here.

Oh I thought she was selling out MSG...

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Strangely, she got more press and attention from people talking about her “Not” doing a Netflix special than if she would’ve done it.

Both negative and positive attention.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Strangely, she got more press and attention from people talking about her “Not” doing a Netflix special than if she would’ve done it.

Both negative and positive attention.
I swear when I heard her say she was even doing a deal with them AT ALL , I was shocked. I had never even considered watching her on anything. And I check for comedy on there all the time. I've watched an Indian comedian, Egyptian comedians, and a damn Black dutch guy even with subtitles.

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

Exactly why I said she should have taken the half mil and if does good numbers renegotiate for more next special

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
I've seen a shit ton of black smaller movies all over Netflix. What is she talking about?

*wait. Went back and watched the video. She has a fantastic point. But they are basing their payout on how popular the person is. Monique ain't headlining shows like that.

THIS

The Fuck...

Netflix has more original shows, movies, and documentaries starring people of Color then all of these networks combined and I'm not even lumping in the Foreign shit.

They literally hand out shows like Candy.

Yeah I hate to tell her... but Monique isn't bringing in the views like a Amy Shumer and especially a Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld.

You would need to compare how much she was paid in comparison to Micheal Che, Amy Wong, and a Norm MacDonald.

THIS

THIS

And the bad thing is, this is the first move she thinks to pull off - lemme get my ass on social media and talk shit and call for a boycott. This is not good. She might even hamper any offers going out for up n' comers that are trying to just get a foot in the door. Comedy is hard. Black comedy is even harder. Don't fuck up potential Netflix deals just because you didn't get the offer you wanted. That's when its time to grind and come back stronger next year, its that simple - everybody knows this.

I know it stings to get the treatment she getting too. All of this still comes from how everything collapsed after her Oscar win. She aint the first Oscar winner to take hits after their win either and it aint got nothing to do with being black.

Even if it did, there are better ways to handle it. She need people to steer her back into the right spotlight. I seen her show years ago and she definitely has the talent. It aint limited to just comedy but that's her only sell right now.

oNE