Washington, DC & Surrounding Areas (the goodole DMV)

NYCg

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks alot for all the info. I went to DC over the weekend, and had a good time. Stayed for two day, and one night tho. I'll be heading back this weekend, since my sis bought a crib in Hyattsville MD, I can take wifey whenever.

So far we did the Air & Space museum, and the Natural History. The best part is that its all free. We also hit up the club strip iirc "Avenue U", my sisters man took us through there, seems aiight. We only had one good day to visit places, because the first day was all about my sisters new crib and the house warming BBQ.

Ill be heading back this weekend. My plan is to take the black history tour you posted, and see a couple more museums. Also hit up a club or two.:yes:

and if you dont mind looking like a geek for an afternoon you can take the tour on one of these...
segway-vc-2.jpg

It's fun. Dont mind all the fools looking at you.:dance:

Where do you go to rent one of these? I saw people touring on these a few times. Thanks again.

NYCg

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Oh yea. Can you recommend any restaurants? Were open to any style of food pretty much.

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
Thanks alot for all the info. I went to DC over the weekend, and had a good time. Stayed for two day, and one night tho. I'll be heading back this weekend, since my sis bought a crib in Hyattsville MD, I can take wifey whenever.

So far we did the Air & Space museum, and the Natural History. The best part is that its all free. We also hit up the club strip iirc "Avenue U", my sisters man took us through there, seems aiight. We only had one good day to visit places, because the first day was all about my sisters new crib and the house warming BBQ.

Ill be heading back this weekend. My plan is to take the black history tour you posted, and see a couple more museums. Also hit up a club or two.:yes:

Where do you go to rent one of these? I saw people touring on these a few times. Thanks again.

You can take the black history tour on those. When you call to schedule something, just tell him you want the "Segway" tour.

As for restaurants it depends on what you want. One of the best steakhouses in the city is Charlie Palmer's (www.charliepalmer.com). Good wine selection too. Expensive. The coolest new spot is DC's Buddah Bar (www.buddhabardc.com). Same concept as the one in Vegas. Overpriced in my opinion but its a cool space, good food/music and your lady will probably love it.

That wine festival looks fun. If I'm in town, we may check it out.

kuzdeen

Star
Registered

NYCg

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
ha ha thats funny i was there on sunday :dance: getting that wine on

syggest check out gaylord hotel http://www.gaylordhotels.com/national-home.html or washington national harbour area

Thanks for the info. That hotel looks sweet.

You can take the black history tour on those. When you call to schedule something, just tell him you want the "Segway" tour.

As for restaurants it depends on what you want. One of the best steakhouses in the city is Charlie Palmer's (www.charliepalmer.com). Good wine selection too. Expensive. The coolest new spot is DC's Buddah Bar (www.buddhabardc.com). Same concept as the one in Vegas. Overpriced in my opinion but its a cool space, good food/music and your lady will probably love it.

Ill be heading back next week. Hopefully I can find time to hit up the Buddah Bar. Im thinking of inviting my sister and her man out to dinner with my lady and I. I'm gonna have to check prices first. Hopefully a dinner for four can be no more than $200, not including tip.:eek:
Edit: Just checked prices on their site, not bad at all.

Thanks for all of the information. Truly great info.:)

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
Thanks for the info. That hotel looks sweet.

Ill be heading back next week. Hopefully I can find time to hit up the Buddah Bar. Im thinking of inviting my sister and her man out to dinner with my lady and I. I'm gonna have to check prices first. Hopefully a dinner for four can be no more than $200, not including tip.:eek:
Edit: Just checked prices on their site, not bad at all.

Thanks for all of the information. Truly great info.:)

yea the food is good but nothing to write home about. the decor and vibe in there is off the hook though. they got the whole zen thing down and the huge buddah statue is the icing on the cake. ladies love it

Rick Ronson

Banned
Barry Farms has the summer basketball thing going @ night.Not a family thing but you'll see kids out there.

Mango Kafe Carribian food Georgia ave.

perm

Support BGOL
Registered
This week is resturant week so there should be some great food deals I will post some bars up soon

Stans has the best drinks in town thou 14 in K

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
This week is resturant week so there should be some great food deals I will post some bars up soon

Stans has the best drinks in town thou 14 in K

Dog there was a cat who posted a funny as thread about getting drinks in Stans. Shit had me laughing so much that I started going there. Got damn. They dont play. Ninjas give you a cup of liquor with a shot of juice on the side.:lol:

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
DC folks, you can order food from foodler.com until like 4 am. Shit comes in handy on the late nights. You can pick from 30+ restaurants depending on which are open and delivering.:cool:

marcvoi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
anybody know of any good clubs/lounges in northern va

PORTMOUTH VIRGINIA
http://umojafestportsmouth.com/ BIG FESTIVAL and CONCERT IN SEPTEMBER Virginia perhaps you can ask the right black folks regarding lounges in Portsmouth area at this event good luck.

Reggae in Virginia
http://www.virginiareggae.com/

Portsmouth Virginia OUTDOOR FESTIVAL AFRICAN
General Portsmouth Virginia events not black oriented just general events festivals, fairs etc...
http://www.portsvaevents.com

PLACES TO STAY IN D.C. or with WIFEY TYPE
washington area BLACK OWNED INN
http://www.akwaaba.com/

WASHINGTON DC BLACK OWNED GUESTHOUSE
http://www.dcguesthouse.com/

PARTIES washington area
http://www.eviplist.com/newsletter/tuscana.htm

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
One of the best live bands in the area Black Alley plays at Liv every sunday. Real cool crowd.

Hard to describe their sound. Some r&b, some hiphop, some funk, some gogo all rolled into 1.

Please believe, they go in. Lotta people come from out of town to check em out.

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
HU vs HU weekend

TONIGHT: Muse, Lux, KSt, Penang & Bar7
SAT: Lux, Ozio, Bar7 & Reserve
SUNDAY: Shadowroom, KSt & Spot

Also, Sunday is the big U Street Old School Hiphop Bar Crawl.

6 bars and 6 hiphop DJ's. Been getting alot of press online and in the Post and City Paper so it'll definitely be official as long as weather holds up.

http://bit.ly/hiphopbarcrawl

Kang

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Took the wife to the Buddha Bar last night for her B-day dinner and she loved it. The atmosphere was on point. There were beautiful women everywhere!!! The DJ was mixing Arab and Techno (pretty dope) and the food was great yet a little pricey!!!! I dropped about $100 our meal (not including drinks). Great spot overall.

Thanks for the suggestion MainMan.

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered

Took the wife to the Buddha Bar last night for her B-day dinner and she loved it. The atmosphere was on point. There were beautiful women everywhere!!! The DJ was mixing Arab and Techno (pretty dope) and the food was great yet a little pricey!!!! I dropped about $100 our meal (not including drinks). Great spot overall.

Thanks for the suggestion MainMan.

Ah man. Glad I could of assistance fam. Yea the ambiance in there is no joke.:yes:

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
Come to the first-ever RiverFrontFest!

Saturday, October 9, from 11am to 7pm. Live music, trapeze demonstration, B-Boy Breakdance Competition, children’s activities, Art Whino Battle of Artistic Creativity, live portraits, arts & crafts vendors, beverages, food & fun. Event will benefit three area charities, so come have fun while doing good for your community! Kids 12 & under admitted FREE! Adjacent to "The Yards" Riverfront Park near Nationals baseball stadium (Navy Yard metro). See www.riverfrontfest.com for details.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So what other cities on the east coast are compareable (women, opoprtunities, jobs, diversity, etc..) to the DC metro area?? Just keeping my options open....

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
So what other cities on the east coast are compareable (women, opoprtunities, jobs, diversity, etc..) to the DC metro area?? Just keeping my options open....

u cant beat nyc if you can afford it. i dont know much about further south. maybe charlotte?

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
3B.jpg

Absolut Brooklyn Sponsors ‘School Daze’ at
The Park at Fourteenth

Co-Hosted by Young Hill Staffers, Greeks on The Hill, UMES Young Alumni, Kappa Alpha Psi Alumni Chapter of Hyattsville, OLA Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha, Ques of UDC, GMU & UDC Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, and AU Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity.

Greek Alumni, socialites, young professionals, and party people are coming together Thursday, October 7th at The Park at Fourteenth, from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m., for a Pre-Columbus Day Weekend Kickoff. Fellow staffers, young alums, co-workers, and friends are welcome and admission is complimentary.

The event is titled ‘School Daze’ and sponsored by Absolut Vodka. Absolute will host a DC Launch party for its newest product Absolut Brooklyn. Created and designed by acclaimed film director Spike Lee, Absolut Brooklyn is vodka flavored with crisp and delicious apple and ginger - perfect flavors for this fall season. This Thursday, we will take The Park at Fourteenth back to recreate the infamous party scenes of Spike’s iconic and legendary film School Daze.

The host committee for the event includes: Aaron Brown, Andrew Washington, Brandon Miller, Brittany Jackson, Chelsea Phiilips , Corey Camphor, Dan Spence, Darrell Brown, Eskedar Melaku, Jermon Williams, Joary Casey, Kiara Jewette, Lielte Estifanos, Mitch Brooks, Nate Enzo, Nzinga Smith, Pappa Granson, Qui-Juan Jones, Ra Williams, Rob Oates, Shaina White, Sydney Potter, Ted Daniels, Terrence Bufford, Todd Hamilton, VJ White, and Yodit Gebreyes

For Thursday, All attendees are encouraged to RSVP at: toddpsa@gmail.com Those who RSVP will enjoy two complimentary drinks and complimentary admission until 11pm. Advance dinner reservations [menu] are also available until 10pm and can be made via (e) toddpsa@gmail.com or 202-276-4114

The Park at Fourteenth is located at 920 14th Street NW, Washington D.C. Valet parking and coat check is available.

About The Park at Fourteenth: The Park at Fourteenth (www.theparkat14th.com) is where art and nature are part of the scene. Park Thursdays has continued to excel as Washingtonians gather to enjoy life through food, dance, and music. When guests visit the venue, they embrace the unique experience of classic and beauty coming together. The combination of our food mixed with great Happy Hour drink specials, Park Thursdays is a place where everyone can enjoy themselves.

Excellent thread! Keep it going.

:yes:Thats a serious situation in your sig? Local?

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
just adding things that came up in another dc thread...

POV at the W is a nice spot with the absolute best views in the city.

Beacon Bar is good, that's right up the street on 17th and Rhode Island.

18th Street Lounge is good.

Don't fuck with "The Park at 14th", that shit is for wannabes.

I like Oya for dinner, some real classy shit.

What are you guys looking to do? You could go down to National Harbor and really get it in at Rosa Mexicana.

I've lived here almost all my life... best food I've ever tasted in DC is at this restaurant RIGHT HERE...

FoundingFarmers_main_large.jpg

www.wearefoundingfarmers.com

It's at 20th & Pennsylvania Avenue NW. Take your wife here for dinner while you're here... you'll thank me later.

Live indie R&B/Soul on U Street almost EVERY night... Ben's Next Door, Indulj, Solly's Tavern, Martin's, LIV... hit 'em up for a drink and a good show by an artist you've never heard of but you wish you had.

I would agree with this... but... whatever promoter is handling Fridays at The Park... they've been booking some decent nationally-known R&B/Soul artists there in the past few weeks...

peterlongshort gave some good suggestions...

you missing the capital jazz festival by 1 week. its not in dc but close... u can basically bring ur own food, drinks and picnic blanket or chairs and chill. hooking some wings up now.

definitely hang out on u street. stop by bens chili bowl or hang out at their sports bar/restaurant next door called bens next door. cool bar vibe

might wanna hit Lauriol Plaza during the day/ early evening. its good mexican and not too expensive for a chill dinner n drinks before hanging out. if the weather is right, get a table on the roof and order a pitcher of frozen margaritas.

friday night, district in adams morgan for a 23 - 35 crowd. its straight or hit u street. same general part of the city... also saki is nearby and muse n k street lounge are other club options on fri

saturday hit http://stadiumclubdc.com. basically a semi upscale strip club that you can bring your lady to if thats your thing. chicks seem to like it. if not theres 18th street lounge on saturdays...real chill jazzy vibe.

might wanna check out the national harbor. some restaurants, shopping and other shit... its about 30 min or so from your hotel.

since ur hotel is in dupont, its worth knowing that theres a spot called kramers/ afterwords cafe books. its a restaurant/ bookstore and has the best latenight food in the city. if you're still hungry at 3am and still want to have a nice meal instead of greasy diner food..thats the spot. they do a good brunch too.

lounge of three on 10th and u has a chill vibe and a live dj usually playing some good hiphop on the weekends. if u like soulfood, there's a spot next door called ooohs and ahhhs next door. best catfish and mac and cheese in the city in my opinion...

busboys and poets is a real cool stop. check the site and see if anything interesting is going on while ur in town at either dc location

...and yea founding farmers is good as hell. all fresh food from local farms. they have another location by a figgerent name on k street. havent been but its probably just as good since the food is fresh from same sources.

if ur in town on a monday... definitely hit marvins upstairs.

peterlongshort and themainman covered a lot of great suggestions that I frequent myself.

I also like The Good Stuff Eatery by chef Spike from Top Chef. The burgers and rosemary fries are FIRE! And the milkshakes are authentic and the real deal as well.

I would hit Georgetown up too. Walk around and check out a few of the bars and shops. A lot fine bitches walking around out there.

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My homie getting married next weekend in NC but he's leaving out the DMV on Wed. What's up with the rip rubs for 2011? Its been a minute since I've been to one. Whatever is recommended, do NOT say Irvings (automatically cancelled on my list)

Real1

Rising Star
Registered
Ill be in DC and the Hyattsville MD area. Im driving so getting around is not a problem. I'd like to keep it no more than $125 for dinner out, including a drink or two.

Also, on Sunday Ill be heading to the Linagnore Reggae Wine festival.
More info: http://www.linganore-wine.com/

Thanks.

For good soul food in a great upscale setting, look no further than Carolina Kitchen...located in Hyattsville.

the flash

אֱלהִים is king!!!!
OG Investor
just adding things that came up in another dc thread...

I'll be in DC this weekend we got two events happening

1)Time
Tomorrow at 10:00pm - Sunday at 3:00am
1708 L ST. NW (ACROSS FROM THE FARRAGUT NORTH METRO STATION)
Washington, DC

More Info
ITS' TIME FOR A "SOCIAL MOVEMENT"!

THINK ABOUT IT...WITH ONLINE DATING, WEB CHAT, VIDEO PHONES... DO WE REALLY GET TOGETHER FOR GOOD OLD FASHIONED "FUN" ANYMORE?

THE SUPER CLUBS OF DC THAT CATERED TO THE "30 AND OLDER" CROWD ARE NOW GONE... BUT BEFORE THEY WERE HERE... THERE WAS "THE ASCOT"!

YOU REMEMBER...
-GREAT MUSIC... HIP HOP, R&B, AND GOGO!
-COMPLIMENTARY BUFFET
-DRINK SPECIALS ($5 APPLE MARTINIS!)
-PROFESSIONAL MATURE CROWD
-PRIME LOCATION
-NOT TOO BIG, NOT TOO SMALL...BUT JUST RIGHT..

WELL, THE SOCIAL MOVEMENT IS RECREATING THAT EXPERIENCE ON SATURDAY NIGHTS!

SAME PARTY AS BEFORE WITH "SUPA DAN" ON THE 1'S AND 2'S!

ITS TIME TO BRING THE FUN BACK TO DC!

$10 TO PARTY IN DOWNTOWN DC? YEAH!!

THAT'S RIGHT... THE ASCOT IS OPEN, AND ITS TIME TO GET OUR PARTY ON!

DON'T PARTY WITH KIDS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL OLD AND OUT OF PLACE... PARTY WITH YOUR PEERS, AND DANCE TO REAL MUSIC!

(NO ATHLETIC WEAR, WORK BOOTS OR HATS!)

SEE YOU THERE!

2)Time
Saturday, July 23 · 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Tabaq Bistro 1336 U St NW
Washington, DC

More Info
Come on and join DMVBlackSingles for brunch and an awesome film viewing at Tabaq Bistro. Mingle and enjoy a tasty brunch with DMV’s finest singles. After brunch we will be viewing the film Hidden Colors a documentary about the real and untold story of people of color around the world, the contributions that we have made and the truths that we have not been told. This film is controversial, it will inspire you to think and re-evaluate what the texts books don’t tell us. We will have discussion and dialog after the film with an investor of the film.
Preview the film at its official website http://hiddencolorsfilm.co​m/home.php
For the Tabaq Brunch menu visit http://tabaqdc.com/