Stargirl Discussion Thread

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
John Diggle and The Golden Age Flash are suppose to debut this season so we may get answers when they show up.

Has it been confirmed that Diggle is guest-starring..? Havent read about it anywhere

Anybody still keeping up? this show is starting to lose me
So far Jakeem Thunder hasnt been in a episode yet(most likely he'll show up in like 2 episodes before the season finale,along with Jade)..i bet him and Beth might hook up also

And Cindy/Shiv appears to have been either merked by Eclipso,or he sent her off to some Hell-like dimension

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Jakeem and Beth? hes a lot younger than her in this show

Has it been confirmed that Diggle is guest-starring..? Havent read about it anywhere

So far Jakeem Thunder hasnt been in a episode yet(most likely he'll show up in like 2 episodes before the season finale,along with Jade)..i bet him and Beth might hook up also

And Cindy/Shiv appears to have been either merked by Eclipso,or he sent her off to some Hell-like dimension

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Caught up on all the episodes this evening.

Eclipso debut and put a serious ass whooping on these kids. Dude let them know this shit ain’t a game.

Brainwave is back fucking up Yolanda’s head.

This series has improved a lot.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member

John Diggle was announced late last year to make cameos in all the CW series for 2021. He hopefully will appear before season end.

Stargirl, the 2nd half of Supergirl and the upcoming Batwoman will conclude it.

There was no “Crossover” this season due to the pandemic so they had his character jump around.

The actor playing John Diggle also has been promoted to director. He has been directing epi

Star

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Can STARgirl ride the staff to space ?
Stargirl should be able to goto the stars
Is a being in the staff ?
Is there a way to talk with the staff ?
Is there a way to fix if broken ?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

John Wesley Shipp talks bringing the Flash to DC's Stargirl and teases 'heartbreaking moment'

"I was more Jay Garrick on Stargirl even more than I had been on Flash, because Jay's in his element," Shipp tells EW.
By Sydney Bucksbaum
October 05, 2021 at 07:00 AM EDT

Since playing the titular superhero in the 1990 series The Flash, John Wesley Shipp has found himself wearing the iconic red supersuit more times than he ever imagined.
Twenty-five years after wrapping the live-action show, he joined the CW's The Flash as Henry Allen, father to Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) before eventually playing Jay Garrick as well as reprising his original role, "Flash '90." Now he's about to debut yet another version of the Flash on DC's Stargirl in this week's big flashback episode, but he says this Jay Garrick feels like the best he's played yet.

"This classic version of Jay Garrick is rooted in principle, even if it means some people are going to get hurt in the short term, he is going to stick by the principles of why the Justice Society was created to begin with," Shipp tells EW. "And I think he's profoundly disappointed when those ideals and ethics are not adhered to. When I read the script… [there's] a heartbreaking moment that made me go, 'Wow, what a rich episode.'"
Below, EW got Shipp to break down what else fans can expect from his crossover episode on DC's Stargirl, what it's been like playing different versions of the Flash throughout his career, and more.
John Wesley Shipp on 'DC's Stargirl.'

| CREDIT: KYLE KAPLAN/THE CW
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: When you first started on the original The Flash series, did you ever envision it would turn into creating this long legacy and that you'd continue playing this character on multiple shows?

JOHN WESLEY SHIPP:
While we were slogging through that season — without CGI — working nine days per episode, two units running simultaneously, I would be there 55 to 80 hours a week. We were shooting 'til dawn every night because we were doing live-action practical effects. If we wanted to blow up a semi-truck and shoot flames 50 feet in the air, we really had to do it. If there was a speed eating scene I had to eat and eat and eat. I had a bucket beside me. [Laughs] If it was card tricks, I had to do the card tricks. If it was running? Run, run, run, run. In other words, it was such a backbreaker that if I had known 31 years ago what I know today, I might not have been able to go on. [Laughs] I might have handed in the suit.
Having said that, it's developed into the most remarkable relationship that I have with this franchise. It's unique among superhero franchises that I've looked at it from so many different angles. Barry Allen, Barry's worst enemy, Barry's father, and Barry's mentor, and then circling back around to the character that I originally played for Crisis and Elseworlds. Sometimes people say, "You've been playing the Flash for 30 years," and that's not entirely true. I've played Flashes for seven years in a 41-year career. And I no longer get that sort of, "But I've done Broadway! But I have Emmys! But I have this!" I've come into an acceptance and a gratitude that I find myself quite unexpectedly in this position within the multiverse.
Having played many different iterations of the Flash so far, how do you keep them all straight in your mind, especially when approaching a new version like we see in DC's Stargirl?
They've been so well-written. I was very cautious in 1990, before comic book entertainment had really gone mainstream, about stepping into a superhero suit. I was afraid I wouldn't be taken seriously, that it would be spoofed. But the treatment was so beautifully written — [The Flash series creators] Paul De Meo and Danny Bilson wrote human beings with human problems and we had an ordinary guy dealing with extraordinary abilities, which I think almost every human being on the planet can relate to. Moving forward, of course Batman: The Brave and the Bold was just fun voicing a cartoon version.
I can't imagine father-son scenes — and I've played quite a few — being more beautifully and sensitively written than the first two seasons of CW Flash between Henry and Barry. Those are some of the richest, most personal experiences I've had in my entire career. The challenge for Jay was to reset a much colder temperature. And to be playing with an actor, Grant Gustin, who I'm so fond of and yet enforce a distance that we hadn't had up to that point, that was challenging. And then everybody had such fun when we brought Flash '90 back that that kind of lifted me up and carried me through that and gave me a conclusion to the 1990 show that we didn't have at the time.
How is this version of the Flash different from the others you've played before?
I was set up brilliantly for it. It's executive produced and largely written by Geoff Johns, who writes Jay Garrick incredibly and understands what he wants from Jay Garrick, and it was in the scenes. I take everything off the page. Someone said, and I think this is such an interesting comment, that they felt that I was more Jay Garrick on Stargirl, even more than I had been on Flash, because Jay's in his element. Jay's in his Society that he's a founding member of and a leading light of, so there is a sense of classicism. It almost felt like I was playing classic Flash, there was a classic quality to the dialogue, to the principles and ethics that I was standing up for, that it called for a different posture even. I'm not with the League, I'm with the Society. And so that made a difference in my approach to the role.
What do we learn from meeting this Jay Garrick in the flashbacks in this week's episode?
There is a "hero entrance," but also we get to see immediately the humanity of Jay Garrick and how he relates individually to each of these other members. Certainly he has a history that has not been [revealed yet]. What I love about Stargirl is legacy, how it's a superhero show built around a teenager. If I could add one thing to the CW Flash, it would be more exploration and more of an explanation of legacy. That's what I love about the whole setup of Stargirl.
What do you think is going to surprise fans about seeing you on Stargirl?
Everyone was discussing, "Is it going to be a different suit? Is it going to be a new suit?" When I started seeing that speculation on social media, I began to get a little nervous because I knew it was going to be the same suit and the last thing I wanted to do was disappoint the audience. I was hoping people wouldn't get too invested in that. And, of course, being a superhero show you never know if we're going to see that suit down the line. Although someone put a picture from the Jay Garrick on Stargirl against a picture of the Jay Garrick on Flash and it said, "It looks like the suit and John Wesley Shipp got an upgrade." [Laughs] Because I'm about 12 pounds lighter. I really got into shape for Stargirl and I was at the ideal weight that I wanted to be in for that suit. [Laughs] And that doesn't always happen!
Are there plans to bring this Jay back to Stargirl in the future?
From your mouth to God's ears. [Laughs] God being, in this case, Geoff Johns.
What do you hope to see for the future of this character — on Stargirl or any other show?
I have high hopes, and there have been discussions, on Flash with Bart [Jordan Fisher] coming on. I didn't get to play the mentor episode, which I thought would have been so interesting with Wally [Keiynan Lonsdale], because Joe [Jesse L. Martin] became Barry's mentor/father figure, and how did Henry feel about that? How interesting it would have been if Jay had become closer to Wally than Joe? Well, we missed that opportunity; we went down the road of Savitar, and that never happened with Wally.
But with Bart coming on, we kind of set up in the last two episodes that he has a profound feeling for what he calls "Uncle Jay." And in some ways they're alike and they get along in some ways better than he does with his own father, who in our version is Barry. That, I would love to explore, and I hope that we do. It's been talked about; I've talked to [The Flash showrunner] Eric Wallace about it. A lot of it depends on Jordan Fisher's availability and we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I played the other side of it, like I was with the great Jason Bernard who was our Nightshade in the 1990 Flash. And I would love to play the other side of that mentoring relationship. [Laughs] So I would like to be Jason Bernard in 2021.
DC's Stargirl airs Tuesdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT on the CW.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Watched the last two episodes this morning.

This cat Eclipso ain’t no joke on how they working his character.

He went up against Beth and they had him go full racist on her. That shit completely caught me off guard and I was not expecting that to play out that way. With Eclipso as a kid, it was pretty interesting on how it went down.

He got into Ricks head and had him almost kill his uncle.

Yolanda just gave up and returned the Wildcat uniform. Ol’ Gurl couldn’t handle it.

Bruce Gordon made his debut.

He got into Stargirls family’s head fucking with them too.

We got to see the original JSA and golden Age Flash appearThe situation they came under was done pretty well and put a darker element to the story.

Looks like Green Lantern will come in and join for more firepower next week.

Looking forward to next week episode

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Watched the last two episodes this morning.

This cat Eclipso ain’t no joke on how they working his character.

He went up against Beth and they had him go full racist on her. That shit completely caught me off guard and I was not expecting that to play out that way. With Eclipso as a kid, it was pretty interesting on how it went down.

He got into Ricks head and had him almost kill his uncle.

Yolanda just gave up and returned the Wildcat uniform. Ol’ Gurl couldn’t handle it.

Bruce Gordon made his debut.

He got into Stargirls family’s head fucking with them too.

We got to see the original JSA and golden Age Flash appearThe situation they came under was done pretty well and put a darker element to the story.

Looks like Green Lantern will come in and join for more firepower next week.

Looking forward to next week episode
still waiting on Jakeem and Thunder to show up again, they played us with that intro

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I watched episodes 12 and 13 last night.

They played out ok. We got to see the original Wildcat in action.

Starman has made his return and will assit Stargirl on understanding the full power of the staff.

My only peeve was they spent too much time with Stargirl in the Shadowlands and not enough time with her being possessed by Eclipso. Her possession would have made a better story for a whole episode.

The Green Lantern chick still does not have full control of the ring. She has no costume either. It looks like the ring is its on Entity and can control itself.

The Wildcat chick is back along with the young dude who is Hourman.

The last 15 minutes after they defeated Eclipso (which I think was done to quickly) pretty much closed out the past two seasons and set it up for season 3 which is looking to be interesting with them debuting Mister Bones in the after credit scene.

Stargirl-Season-2-Finale-Mr.-Bones.jpg

filters:quality(70)

The voice sounded like legendary Black actor Keith David.

The series still has not connected itself to the other CW shows or gave any reference to them.

Season 3 is in production now and is scheduled to debut Summer 2022.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I watched episodes 12 and 13 last night.

They played out ok. We got to see the original Wildcat in action.

Starman has made his return and will assit Stargirl on understanding the full power of the staff.

My only peeve was they spent too much time with Stargirl in the Shadowlands and not enough time with her being possessed by Eclipso. Her possession would have made a better story for a whole episode.

The Green Lantern chick still does not have full control of the ring. She has no costume either. It looks like the ring is its on Entity and can control itself.

The Wildcat chick is back along with the young dude who is Hourman.

The last 15 minutes after they defeated Eclipso (which I think was done to quickly) pretty much closed out the past two seasons and set it up for season 3 which is looking to be interesting with them debuting Mister Bones in the after credit scene.

Stargirl-Season-2-Finale-Mr.-Bones.jpg

filters:quality(70)

The voice sounded like legendary Black actor Keith David.

The series still has not connected itself to the other CW shows or gave any reference to them.

Season 3 is in production now and is scheduled to debut Summer 2022.
They had the flash on the show

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
They had the flash on the show

You are correct.

But he made no reference to the other heroes or what they were doing.

Makes me wonder if this show is operating in a different timeline because they also have given no reference to the Crisis from 2 years ago.

Or maybe they have no memory of it.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I liked the 1st season but stopped like 5 eps into the 2nd

It got deep toward the end of the 2nd season with Eclipso. That cat went all out on Stargirl and the team.

And what they did with the nerdy Black chick/Dr. Midnight really was a big surprise when they went into racism. She was corny and annoying as hell from her debut, her character went up in status on this show with how it went down with Eclipso.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I honestly don't know how they beat Eclipso. By the way he was portrayed he should still be standing strong

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It got deep toward the end of the 2nd season with Eclipso. That cat went all out on Stargirl and the team.

And what they did with the nerdy Black chick/Dr. Midnight really was a big surprise when they went into racism. She was corny and annoying as hell from her debut, her character went up in status on this show with how it went down with Eclipso.

Yeah, that was a pretty ballsy move! Shocked the hell out of me. "One of these are not like the other..."

She was annoying, but that kinda is the character is it not? She means well, but she doesn't know how she comes off to people around her, but nobody has the heart to tell her that she is doing extra.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Yeah, that was a pretty ballsy move! Shocked the hell out of me. "One of these are not like the other..."

She was annoying, but that kinda is the character is it not? She means well, but she doesn't know how she comes off to people around her, but nobody has the heart to tell her that she is doing extra.

Agree.

That shit coming out that little white boys mouth made it more effective.

Agree with the Black chick character, hopefully she is depicted more mature in the new season.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Keeping track of what Warner Bros is going to do with these CW shows after their stunt with Batgirl.

WB has something planned.

We will see…..

^^^

THIS

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Brec Bassinger promises DC's Stargirl season 3 murder mystery 'will shock you'

"At different times of the season, you'll think it's different people — and every time you'll be wrong."
By Sydney BucksbaumAugust 30, 2022 at 03:35 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
FBTweetMore

00:01
00:39

DC's Stargirl
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
GENRE
Someone is about to get murdered on DC's Stargirl, and series star Brec Bassinger warns that everyone is a suspect.
The CW's superhero drama returns for season 3 with a murder mystery arc — and even though a well-known character is about to get killed, Bassinger tells EW that fans can expect a story that's "much less dark" than Eclipso's reign of terror thanks to the new "Frenemies" tagline.
"Tone-wise, our showrunner Geoff [Johns] wants each season to be totally different, which you saw between season 1 and season 2, and for season 3, he knew he wanted the supervillains and heroes living in a town in harmony," Bassinger says. "It was actually our director/stunt coordinator, Walter Garcia, who threw out the word 'frenemy.' He was like, 'It's like they're frenemies,' and Geoff just jumped on that. He loved it so much that it became the title of our season."

Below, Bassinger teases what fans can expect from DC's Stargirl: Frenemies, the murder mystery case, Starman's (Joel McHale) long-awaited return, and so much more.
CREDIT: THE CW
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How is Courtney going to be handling juggling high school, all these reformed villains living in Blue Valley, and this new murder mystery happening all at the same time?
BREC BASSINGER:
[Laughs] Honestly I love it, because she is still so young and she makes a lot of mistakes this season. I love that because there's so much going on and her heart wants one thing but her team wants another, and she messes up. I think that's completely reasonable. Even though she's a superhero, she's still a person, she's still a teenager. That's been one of my favorite parts of getting to play Courtney is balancing being a superhero while also balancing high school and figuring out who you are. This season dives more into that work-life balance and how she navigates that.

What can you tease about who the ultimate big bad of the season is as the JSA works to solve this murder mystery?
It will shock you. You will not see it coming. I think I was one of the only ones — I think it was maybe three people on set who knew the ending, me being one of them, and every person I've talked to when they read the script, or the editors when they watched the first cut, they were all shocked. At different times of the season, you'll think it's different people — and every time you'll be wrong. The ending will shock you.
Who are Courtney's "frenemies" going to be this season?
Courtney, being the optimist human that she is, she's like, "They're all my friends." First we have Cindy who she feels has turned a new leaf and has changed, so she's in support of her joining the JSA. We have Artemis who wants to join the JSA, but she's already getting so much backlash from her team about letting Cindy join, that I don't know how far she can push it. And then we have Cameron, and they've had a slow burning relationship in season 1 and it really comes back into the limelight in this season. As much as she wants to be with him, there's so many obstacles.
I can't decide which relationship I'm more excited to see: Courtney and Cindy's new "friendship" or Courtney and Cameron's long-simmering romance.
Yeah, it's literally opposite. With Cindy, it started off seeing each other as archenemies. But then through time, they've been brought together and they really understand each other. They both have history with their fathers so they bond in that aspect. And then looking at Cameron, who from the very beginning, they just got along and have this instant connection, and then now Cameron doesn't even know, but they have so much history behind them that causes a lot of tension with Courtney wanting to be with him and cause a lot of tension with her and her friends and her and family because she does want to be with him, but there might be too much there. Those relationships are opposite in that way.
As much as I love Courtney and Cameron together, it feels like a doomed relationship from the start.
It does feel like it. Right? Because he doesn't know any of it. At this point, I think he's literally the only one in the dark. Poor him! [Laughs] But also, it puts Courtney in an uncomfortable position because she wants to be with him and she wants to be honest with him, but will that be the end of it? She's almost holding on to it until the doom comes. Because is it inevitable? It does kind feel like it. But it has been such a slow burn.
How does the "frenemies" tagline impact the tone of the season?
It's a murder mystery, that's what we were going for. And we definitely did some unique things in some scenes, going back and forth to flashbacks at the crime scene and then saying something and then changing the words, and it definitely gave it a different feel. There's something our showrunner always says, regardless of the tone of the season, he always wants to fall back on the three "H's: heroics, humor, and heart." So despite the storyline or regardless of the tone, you can always assume that we will have all three of those things.
Now that you've had Courtney's introduction/origin story in the first two seasons, what were you excited to dig deeper on with her in season 3?
All the different relationships, especially with the new relationship between her and Starman. There's so many questions there. And then also just continually exploring the relationships between her and Cameron, her and Cindy, her and Yolanda, her and Pat — which has evolved so much from the beginning — and then having this new element of Starman living in the basement.
Speaking of Starman being back, the biggest question going into this season is what his arrival means for Courtney and the Cosmic Staff. What can you tease about what we're going to see from that?
I had those same questions coming into the season. Will the Staff work for him? Will the Staff continue to work for her? Who does the Staff belong to? Why is he back? Did he come back to take the Staff? I had those questions as an actor and then Courtney had those same questions as well. Even though she's worried, she does look up to him, even seeing him as a father figure, so it is a positive thing having him back. It's made pretty clear from the beginning what his true intentions are with coming back. And then it's all about finding the balance of, can Starman and Stargirl hold the Cosmic Staff simultaneously, and is that reasonable? Is that possible? They have to find that balance.
What did you love about exploring that dynamic with Joel McHale, now that Starman and Stargirl are finally in the same place?
I love how, even with so many similarities, they're so different. They go about being the holder of this Cosmic Staff so differently. I love Starman, he's one of my favorite characters, but he has a bit of an ego. He's almost more of what you think of a traditional superhero being: it's cut and dry, and black and white. And Courtney, especially what she's gone through with these past two seasons, she looks a lot more in the gray area and she's a lot more open-minded to things. And even though she learns a lot from Starman, he ends up learning quite a bit from her in the different ways they go about being superheroes and trying to find that middle ground.
If season 1 was Courtney's origin story and season 2 saw her battling the darkness of Eclipso, what does season 3 represent for her?
Finding harmony between the good and the bad. Season 2, she definitely discovered that there's darkness in everyone and there's good in everyone, so season 3 is about finding that harmony, what it means being a superhero, and how to balance that.
DC's Stargirl season 3 premieres Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET/PT on The CW.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Just finished the first two episodes of season 3.

Starting out with completely new storylines after wrapping up the first two seasons.

The musical soundtrack for the episodes have been pretty good.

Joel McHale/Starman looks to be in as a regular for the season. And he has some drama going on.

The Gambler returned. Pure Comedy showing him excited about his RV trailer decked out. SportsMaster calling him a “Kentucky Fried Felon” was funny.

The Shade is hanging around for some reason he hasn’t disclosed yet.

SportsMaster and Tigress are doing the “Suburban Couple” routine, but they are hiding something.

Somebody is lurking behind the scenes, I suspect it’s the character David Keith debuted at the end of last season. He has not shown up yet.

And Cameron is up to something and it looks political for sure.

Going to let a few episodes stack up before watching again.