Star Wars: The Mandalorian (official Series Discussion Thread) Update (Season 3 drops Feb 2023)

Shadow

The Dark Lord
BGOL Investor
Shit was boring Still don't understand that story line . Appreciate the explanation though

Basically all of them were allowed into a reintegration camp and then allowed into the new republic after serving in the empire. The Allies did the same to let Nazi people like doctors and scientists, Vietnamese did it to ALL collaborators (that they didn’t kill) after the Vietnam war ended. Had them in reeducation camps for years.

No doubt the Taliban is doing something similar in Afghanistan right now.

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Basically all of them were allowed into a reintegration camp and then allowed into the new republic after serving in the empire. The Allies did the same to let Nazi people like doctors and scientists, Vietnamese did it to ALL collaborators (that they didn’t kill) after the Vietnam war ended. Had them in reeducation camps for years.

No doubt the Taliban is doing something similar in Afghanistan right now.
Oh ok now I get it

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Season 3
Episodes 1 - 3

Finished these three this afternoon.

Started right out the box showing a young Mandalorian being awarded his helmet. Seeing all the Mandalorian’s in full armor during the ceremony looked cool.

Then went right into action mode with them teaming together to take down that “Alligator” thing.

Din had admitted to the Forger on him removing his helmet. He and Grogu went off to Mandalore to redeem himself.

Cara Dune (Gina Carano) absence was quickly explained. So it’s looking like we won’t see her character this season.

We got a nice Easter Egg showing those Space Whales that Ezra used to take him and Admiral Thrawn off in the series finale of “Star Wars Rebels”. We are getting close to his and Thrawn’s live action debut.

And again, Din needs a new ship. I’m still not understanding why his original ship was eliminated from the story.

Bo-Katan returned sulking cuz she lost out for control of the Dark Saber. Katee Sackhoff fills out that uniform nicely when she is walking around in it. She also showed she can control the Dark Saber.

We got to see Mandalore in its current state after the Purge.

Din still does not have control of the Dark Saber dragging that thing around like it ways 1000lbs. when he tries to use it. But Bo-Katan showed she can properly wield it.

And the Mandalorian Mythosaur exists. We and Bo-Katan saw it,

Episode 3, showing the New Republic doing their version of “Operation Paperclip” bringing in former Imperial members into the new government. Episode 3 is a unique episode giving us some insight on Dr. Pershing who was revealed in season 2 aiding Moff Gideon and his devious plans around Grogu And cloning. This episode looks to connect with what is currently going on in “The Bad Batch”.

Great use of the classic “It’s A Trap” line. All three episodes were full of good Easter Eggs in reference to past movies/series.

Din redeemed himself and got approved by the Forger. Bo-Katan by default redeemed herself. The question is will she follow the Decree or go back to her old ways after her experience in the waters.

Episode 3 was a good episode, played out like an episode of “Andor”.

I will let a few episodes stack up again before catching up.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member

The ratings/viewership is not down.

You will hear stories about low viewership going forward with all streaming content.

What is happening is called “Subscription Cycling” which is gaining in popularity.

Folks are just waiting until all the episodes debut, sign up for the free trial, binge watch, share account with family/friends and cancel the subscription before the trial ends.

Subscription cycling for streaming – best approach
Subscription cycling is becoming a more common phenomenon in the streaming market, but at the moment it’s mostly hitting smaller services such as Apple TV and Paramount+. Netflix and Disney+ have fared better.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The ratings/viewership is not down.

You will hear stories about low viewership going forward with all streaming content.

What is happening is called “Subscription Cycling” which is gaining in popularity.

Folks are just waiting until all the episodes debut, sign up for the free trial, binge watch, share account with family/friends and cancel the subscription before the trial ends.

Subscription cycling for streaming – best approach
Subscription cycling is becoming a more common phenomenon in the streaming market, but at the moment it’s mostly hitting smaller services such as Apple TV and Paramount+. Netflix and Disney+ have fared better.

^^^^^

I wonder if this strike happens and streamers add advertsing are they going to be forced to reveal the REAL numbers?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Meesa back! Jar Jar Binks actor Ahmed Best returns to Star Wars as a Mandalorian Jedi

Best returned as a Star Wars character he'd played before, but not the one you think.
By Dalton RossMarch 22, 2023 at 07:22 AM EDT

The Mandalorian is busying itself in season 3 with more shady cloning practices and Din Djarin purifying himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka… I mean, the Living Waters of Mandalore.
But forget about all that for a minute. Forget about the whereabouts of Moff Gideon. Forget about poor mind-wiped Dr. Pershing. And forget about why Bo-Katan finally told someone about the seemingly important Mythosaur sighting. All of that took a backseat this week to a seismic shift in the Star Wars galaxy. True balance in the Force was achieved with one shocking blast from the past.

That blast came in the form of Ahmed Best, who famously — or infamously, depending on whom you ask — played one of the most controversial characters in the history of pop culture in Jar Jar Binks. Best played the CGI Gungan in the prequel trilogy, although the character's screen time gradually decreased with each subsequent film.
Jar Jar Binks and actor Ahmed Best

| CREDIT: LUCASFILM
While Jar Jar was roundly criticized by critics and adult fans when The Phantom Menace was first released in 1999, a generation of kids who loved that goofy Gungan have now grown up with much fonder memories of the character, with some even hoping for a redemption arc for the character.
EW's Dagobah Dispatchpodcast recently discussed how The Mandalorian could be just the place for a Jar Jar sighting (how old do Gungans get anyway?), but it's not happened… yet. Best, on the other hand, did make his return to a galaxy far, far away on this week's episode, and in a hugely important way.
Ahmed Best as Jedi Kelleran Beq on 'The Mandalorian'

| CREDIT: LUCASFILM LTD.
On "Chapter 20: The Foundling," Grogu had a flashback to Order 66 and the assault on the Jedi temple. In that flashback, we saw the former Padawan being saved and hurried from the temple by none other than Best. Best was playing a Jedi named Kelleran Beq, who found Grogu alone in an elevator during the attack and assured him everything would be alright before cutting down clone troopers with green and purple lightsabers and doing some fancy flying to escape pursuing ships.

It's not the first time Best has played Beq, and it's not the first Beq Best has played. The actor first portrayed Kelleran Beq as the host of a 2020 online children's game show called Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge, in which teams of tykes would have to survive obstacle courses, test their knowledge in a quiz, and be tempted by the dark side.
Best also had a cameo in Attack of the Clones as Achk Med-Beq, a startled patron of the Outlander Club on Coruscant with a not-so-thinly-veiled play on the actor's name. Whether this Beq and friend Dannl Faytonno (C-3PO's Anthony Daniels) were there to buy Death Sticks is anyone's guess, but Best has said in the past that the two Beqs are indeed related.
Ahmed Best in 'Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones'

Judging by the events of this week's episode — in which Beq and Grogu blast out of Coruscant into hyperspace — there's a good chance we'll see Best return as Beq, especially if Grogu's backstory is going to continue to be explored. And weesa excited to see more!
Make sure to listen to EW's Dagobah Dispatch podcast for a full breakdown of every Mandalorian episode, as well as interviews with cast members like Pedro Pascal and Katee Sackhoff, among others.

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor

Meesa back! Jar Jar Binks actor Ahmed Best returns to Star Wars as a Mandalorian Jedi

Best returned as a Star Wars character he'd played before, but not the one you think.
By Dalton RossMarch 22, 2023 at 07:22 AM EDT

The Mandalorian is busying itself in season 3 with more shady cloning practices and Din Djarin purifying himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka… I mean, the Living Waters of Mandalore.
But forget about all that for a minute. Forget about the whereabouts of Moff Gideon. Forget about poor mind-wiped Dr. Pershing. And forget about why Bo-Katan finally told someone about the seemingly important Mythosaur sighting. All of that took a backseat this week to a seismic shift in the Star Wars galaxy. True balance in the Force was achieved with one shocking blast from the past.

That blast came in the form of Ahmed Best, who famously — or infamously, depending on whom you ask — played one of the most controversial characters in the history of pop culture in Jar Jar Binks. Best played the CGI Gungan in the prequel trilogy, although the character's screen time gradually decreased with each subsequent film.
Jar Jar Binks and actor Ahmed Best

| CREDIT: LUCASFILM
While Jar Jar was roundly criticized by critics and adult fans when The Phantom Menace was first released in 1999, a generation of kids who loved that goofy Gungan have now grown up with much fonder memories of the character, with some even hoping for a redemption arc for the character.
EW's Dagobah Dispatchpodcast recently discussed how The Mandalorian could be just the place for a Jar Jar sighting (how old do Gungans get anyway?), but it's not happened… yet. Best, on the other hand, did make his return to a galaxy far, far away on this week's episode, and in a hugely important way.

On "Chapter 20: The Foundling," Grogu had a flashback to Order 66 and the assault on the Jedi temple. In that flashback, we saw the former Padawan being saved and hurried from the temple by none other than Best. Best was playing a Jedi named Kelleran Beq, who found Grogu alone in an elevator during the attack and assured him everything would be alright before cutting down clone troopers with green and purple lightsabers and doing some fancy flying to escape pursuing ships.

It's not the first time Best has played Beq, and it's not the first Beq Best has played. The actor first portrayed Kelleran Beq as the host of a 2020 online children's game show called Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge, in which teams of tykes would have to survive obstacle courses, test their knowledge in a quiz, and be tempted by the dark side.
Best also had a cameo in Attack of the Clones as Achk Med-Beq, a startled patron of the Outlander Club on Coruscant with a not-so-thinly-veiled play on the actor's name. Whether this Beq and friend Dannl Faytonno (C-3PO's Anthony Daniels) were there to buy Death Sticks is anyone's guess, but Best has said in the past that the two Beqs are indeed related.
Ahmed Best in 'Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones'

Judging by the events of this week's episode — in which Beq and Grogu blast out of Coruscant into hyperspace — there's a good chance we'll see Best return as Beq, especially if Grogu's backstory is going to continue to be explored. And weesa excited to see more!
Make sure to listen to EW's Dagobah Dispatch podcast for a full breakdown of every Mandalorian episode, as well as interviews with cast members like Pedro Pascal and Katee Sackhoff, among others.
I seriously didn't know they actually had a Black man play Jar Jar Binks. That's fucked up. :smh: :lol:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I seriously didn't know they actually had a Black man play Jar Jar Binks. That's fucked up. :smh: :lol:

REALLY?

I don't know how much of a Star wars fan you are so its all good. But that is VERY common knowledge ( I guess in Sci Fi circles at least) That man has been interviewed numerous times and in a few documentaries

Lucas (and Star Wars execs) ALWAYS wanted to go back and make it right for that brother.

Piff Henderson

BGOL Investor
REALLY?

I don't know how much of a Star wars fan you are so its all good. But that is VERY common knowledge ( I guess in Sci Fi circles at least) That man has been interviewed numerous times and in a few documentaries

Lucas (and Star Wars execs) ALWAYS wanted to go back and make it right for that brother.
Yeah, I was never a big fan of it. My nerdiness stopped short of Star Wars. I saw the originals in the cinema in the late 90s when I was a kid but it didn't catch me like, say, Blade or even The Fifth Element.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah, I was never a big fan of it. My nerdiness stopped short of Star Wars. I saw the originals in the cinema in the late 90s when I was a kid but it didn't catch me like, say, Blade or even The Fifth Element.

i understand. That is the cool thing about Sci Fi (and what I hope the studios see is possible with the comic book genre) there are so many sub genres.

Star Wars Star Trek and even that is divided into tv or movies

and then the batttlestar and anime etc etc

We are finally an age were you kind be whatever KIND of nerd you want.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Jon Favreau addresses how many seasons The Mandalorian will run

"I don't know what would make me not enjoy doing it," says the creator. "Especially as long as the audience is connecting with these characters."
By Dalton RossMarch 21, 2023 at 11:30 AM EDT

The Mandalorian is now halfway through its third season on Disney+ and, with two-and-a-half seasons down, we couldn't help but wonder how many more seasons we have to go.
We put creator Jon Favreau squarely on the spot when he and fellow executive producer Dave Filoni stopped by EW's Star Wars podcast, Dagobah Dispatch and asked him just how long he sees this story unfolding.
"I'm having a blast, and I love working with Dave, and I love how the characters develop over time," says Favreau. "I also love that there are other stories now being told in that same time period, like Ahsoka and Skeleton Crew."

According to Favreau, the larger galaxy gives him more characters to play with — folks like Ahsoka, Boba Fett, and Fennec Shand were able to make an impact on The Mandalorian before spinning off to their own live-action shows. This growing bounty of personalities allows for more stories in the Mandalorian timeframe, as well as others.
"Now it feels like there's a larger context for me to understand," says Favreau. "Because we just knew what happened after [The Mandalorian], and we knew what happened before, and there's a lot to draw upon from additional stories that were told outside of what's considered official canon now, but is held very dearly to the fans who've been at it for decades. And so we like to take all of that into consideration."
Jon Favreau promotes 'The Mandalorian'

| CREDIT: MIKE MARSLAND/WIREIMAGE
While the creator wouldn't set a definite end date on the show, it doesn't sound like he's in any rush to wrap things up. "I really have been enjoying this tremendously and I love these characters and I love seeing how they're growing together," says Favreau. "I've really enjoyed working with this group of people and I love collaborating with all these different filmmakers and different storytellers, both from the directors we work with, and other showrunners like Dave and, and others like [Skeleton Crew's] Jon Watts and Chris Ford."

It's the collaborative aspect, specifically, that excites Favreau. "It's a really wonderful format, and you really grow to appreciate having such a good team around you that, for each new film, you would have to assemble. But [with The Mandalorian] we get to inherit this great group of talented people that we could work with every year."
Jon Favreau on set of 'The Book of Boba Fett'

| CREDIT: FRANCOIS DUHAMEL/LUCASFILM LTD.
Basically, as long as Favreau enjoys making The Mandalorian, he'll continue making it. "I don't know what would make me not enjoy doing it, especially as long as the audience is connecting with these characters. This feels like a really enjoyable moment. And I love this format of telling one chapter at a time and keeping the audience guessing, but also fulfilling certain expectations."
We are hereby then expecting no less than 10 seasons of The Mandalorian and look forward to those expectations being fulfilled.

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
Ahmed best! I thought that Jedi looked familiar. I was like " where they found this Merlin Santana half a Eddie Griffin popoin' nigga from?"

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Mandalorian reveals how Grogu escaped Order 66

Grogu's savior turns out to be a familiar face to longtime Star Wars fans.
By Lauren MorganMarch 22, 2023 at 09:13 AM EDT

In an episode that sometimes seemed like it was crossed with HBO's House of the Dragon, Din Djarin (Pedro Pascal) and Bo-Katan Kryze (Katee Sackhoff) spent a good chunk of The Mandalorian's "Chapter 20: The Foundling" rescuing Paz Vizsla's son Ragnar (played by Jimmy Kimmel's son Wesley) from the clutches of a winged beast (EW will break the whole episode down on this week's Dagobah Dispatch).

But while we contemplate whether the Children of the Watch keep their helmets on when they procreate, the bigger revelation in "The Foundling" (directed by Mandalorian cast member Carl Weathers) is who exactly rescued Grogu during Order 66. And it turns out it's someone the Star Wars fandom already knows all too well.

In The Book of Boba Fett, Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) unlocked Grogu's memory of Order 66, but we only saw a piece of what happened then. Since Grogu decided to follow the Way of the Mand'alor instead of becoming a Jedi, Din decided he should be trained as a Mandalorian foundling, and as the Armorer (Emily Swallow) crafted the little green guy a beskar rondel of protection, Grogu flashed back to that fateful night when he was a tiny Jedi foundling under attack.

As the knights in the Jedi Temple made a valiant effort at protecting him during Order 66, Grogu was whisked off Coruscant by Jedi Master Kelleran Beq, played by none other than former Jar Jar Binks actor Ahmed Best. As fans of the competition show Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge know, this isn't the first time Best has played the Jedi Master, but it was delightful to see Beq in action wielding dual-colored lightsabers while defending Grogu from certain death at the hands of the clone troopers (voiced by original clone portrayer and current Boba Fett Temuera Morrison).

After ably deflecting the bolts from the clone troopers, Beq took off on the speeder through the skies of nighttime Coruscant with Grogu by his side. Still chased by the clones, he avoided their attack, and, with the help of some Senate guards, he and Grogu boarded a ship and escaped via lightspeed.

We didn't see what happened once they left the Core Worlds, but since there are several decades between Order 66 and when Din found Grogu, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Kelleran Beq pop up in another flashback filling in some of the details about what happened to Grogu during the reign of the Empire. At least, we hope so.

Beq also becomes the latest Jedi who survived Order 66, at least initially. He joins an illustrious group that includes Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Grogu, Ahsoka Tano, Caleb Dume/Kanan Jarrus, Cal Kestis, Cere Junda, Gungi, Jocasta Nu, and future Inquisitors like one-time Jedi youngling Reva Sevander. With Beq's addition to the group, it shows that for all of Emperor Palpatine's intricate plans for wiping out the Jedi, he didn't do a particularly good job of it after all. Thank the stars.

BlackRob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ahmed played Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars. He dealt with bullying and harassment from fans and insiders alike that lead to a suicidal moment. After posting about his experience recently, he was met an outpouring of support from those who were culprits in the early 2000s.

Piff Henderson

BGOL Investor
Ahmed played Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars. He dealt with bullying and harassment from fans and insiders alike that lead to a suicidal moment. After posting about his experience recently, he was met an outpouring of support from those who were culprits in the early 2000s.

They went in on Jar Jar Binks back in the day. Even MADTV got in on it.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Caught up with the last two episodes last night. I like how they are continuing to build, but they really need to move things forward in the next few episodes. It’s getting to the point where I’m starting to tire of the flashbacks with Grogu. We’re twenty episodes in and the series seems like it’s just plodding along. The world building is cool but by the third season, we should start seeing more at what’s at stake. I love these Star Wars shows, but it always feels like they always save everything for the last episode of each season. Almost makes these episodes a chore to sit through.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Season 3
Episodes 4 - 5

Watched these two this afternoon here at home.

That Episode 5 is what Old School Star Wars heads been waiting for since Boba Fett debut in “The Empire Strikes Back”. Seeing all those Mandalorian’s together like that in live action interacting with each other along with fighting together as a team was great to see.

We got to see how Grogu made it out of the Jedi Temple and off Coruscant. With him at the Forge and thinking back, it’s got me thinking differently of him. With what Ahsoka pointed out last season that he was afraid and why he suppressed his Jedi abilities, there could be a possibility that Grogu could easily go the path of the Darkside being he is overcomed with fear. It’s a wildcard and could be possible being we know there are Sith wandering around out there after the collapse of the Empire. If there is one lurking out there and discovers Grogu, that could be a game changer for the series.

Episode 6 brought back Carson Teva from the New Republic. Tim Meadows debuted as a requisition officer showing how fucked up the New Republic is. We got a hint on The First Order rising up with what Carson said.

Big surprise cameo with Zeb from “Star Wars Rebels”. It’s good to see he is still alive and had hooked up with the Rebellion and made it thru. First time seeing a live action version of his character.

zeb-mandalorian.png

collage-maker-29-mar-2023-02-47-pm-2501-1680115699765.jpg

And it looks like Moff Gideon will be making his comeback later.