Singer-actress Irene Cara has died at age 63 in her Florida home, her publicist confirmed to Eyewitness News.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
R.I.P. Coco!

She was one of the stars that should have been bigger. I wonder why her career never truly exploded after Fame and winning the Oscar for Flashdance....

Yeah, it’s almost like she did everything she was suppose to do to reach Beyoncé and Diana Ross status and fell way short. Not many people get the opportunities that she had. Maybe the times was off for her. Was the industry really looking for female artist between ‘75 and ‘85?

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Was the industry really looking for female artist between ‘75 and ‘85?
Looking at history, unless you were a white Pop Artist singer (Madonna or Cindy Lauper) or a big name like Diana Ross or Tina Turner, you were probably not going to get a lot of push being a young Black (Afro-Latina) singer during that era.

During the early 80s, Black male artists got the push in the industry that Black female artists never did.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Looking at history, unless you were a white Pop Artist singer (Madonna or Cindy Lauper) or a big name like Diana Ross or Tina Turner, you were probably not going to get a lot of push being a young Black (Afro-Latina) singer during that era.

During the early 80s, Black male artists got the push in the industry that Black female artists never did.

Yeah, that what I was thinking. It never really occurred to me until now the lack of push for black female artist.

She could sing, dance, act, award winner, and was light skin (because that was a thing in that era). She checked off all the boxes. Maybe the industry didn’t know where to place her? She seems to have crossover appeal though.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I saw her on Miami vice and didn't she play in Sparkle the original movie?and she was in a dance tv show Fame or something and a soap opera .

Rip to her.....

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, she played Sparkle in the original. Was in Fame, the movie, not the TV version though. Sang the theme song and then of course she did the Flashdance song.

I saw her on Miami vice and didn't she play in Sparkle the original movie?and she was in a dance tv show Fame or something and a soap opera .

Rip to her.....

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
florida-evans-damn.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

In 1983, Cara reached the peak[16] of her music career with the title song for the movie Flashdance: "Flashdance... What a Feeling", which she co-wrote with Giorgio Moroder and Keith Forsey. Cara penned the lyrics to the song with Keith Forsey while riding in a car in New York heading to the studio to record it; Moroder composed the music.

Cara admitted later that she was initially reluctant to work with Giorgio Moroder because she had no wish to invite further comparisons with another artist who worked with Moroder, Donna Summer.[17]

But the collaboration paid off and became a hit in several countries, attracting several awards for Cara. She won the 1983 Academy Award for Best Song (Oscar), 1984 Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, 1984 Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song, and American Music Awards for Best R&B Female Artist and Best Pop Single of the Year.​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@4 Dimensional @EPDC

Your convo is deep.

Looking at her wiki page the charts and who ELSE was popping a the same time?

It don't make SENSE she aint blow up more

She could sing dance AND act.

and her LOOK???

She had hit movie and hit song and hit on Broadway?!?!?

What more you need?

Especially at that time?

She REALLY couldn't find that SECOND hit?