kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
AB. All day.
FlimsyClutteredBedbug-small.gif

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
There is a very important benefit to being half-white in black America. This Sade, as I have said on numerous
occasions, is a very marginal musician and has played with a band that is as substandard as she is

Little known Pierrette Adams (last name from a black American husband btw) is superior in everyway to the
bullshit of Sade

Back row L-R: Therese Gbotta (from Cote d'Ivoire), Micheline Bohoi (from Congo), Jacque Chirac (from Congo)
Titi Bass (from Congo), Alvarito on rythm guitar (from Congo), Vuatu Solo (from Congo), Omega on the drum kit (from Congo)
Papis on the long African drums (from Congo), and chef d'orchestra Samuel on keyboards (from Congo);

The male dancers are from Ivory Coast, from what I can see.

Last edited:

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
There is a very important benefit to being half-white in black America. This Sade, as I have said on numerous
occasions, is a very marginal musician and has played with a band that is as substandard as she is

Little known Pierrette Adams (last name from a black American husband btw) is superior in everyway to the
bullshit of Sade

Back row L-R: Therese Gbotta (from Cote d'Ivoire), Micheline Bohoi (from Congo), Jacque Chirac (from Congo)
Titi Bass (from Congo), Alvarito on rythm guitar (from Congo), Vuatu Solo (from Congo), Omega on the drum kit (from Congo)
Papis on the long African drums (from Congo), and chef d'orchestra Samuel on keyboards (from Congo);

The male dancers are from Ivory Coast, from what I can see.

Her being half white aint got shit to do with why people like her sound.

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anita Baker doesn't even sound like she can sing anymore. When Sade has been in my city I've been at the concert and I can tell you she sounds better in person than on the albums.

gw1933

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Her being half white aint got shit to do with why people like her sound.

Exactly my sentiment

There were plenty of "half white" failures in Black American music as well. Dont believe me, ask Tinashe, KeKe Wyatt, or the rest of their ilk.

Not to discredit Anita Baker, but Sade introduced a new sound to the game. The Sweetback production team came with the synth pads, and ambient keyboard sounds, thus becoming a precursor to the modern "Accoustic Soul/Neo Soul" Genre that rose to prominence years later (via Musiq Soulchild, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu. etc.)

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Exactly my sentiment

There were plenty of "half white" failures in Black American music as well. Dont believe me, ask Tinashe, KeKe Wyatt, or the rest of their ilk.

Not to discredit Anita Baker, but Sade introduced a new sound to the game. The Sweetback production team came with the synth pads, and ambient keyboard sounds, thus becoming a precursor to the modern "Accoustic Soul/Neo Soul" Genre that rose to prominence years later (via Musiq Soulchild, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu. etc.)
Well that's not exactly true. Neo Soul simply means new soul.
Sade and groups like Loose Endz are byproducts of American Soul, Funk, and Jazz music. The sound was already there before Sade.
Add in elements of Hip Hop and you have what Kadar Massenburg termed/marketed as Neo Soul.

gw1933

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well that's not exactly true. Neo Soul simply means new soul.
Sade and groups like Loose Endz are byproducts of American Soul, Funk, and Jazz music. The sound was already there before Sade.
Add in elements of Hip Hop and you have what Kadar Massenburg termed/marketed as Neo Soul.

A byproduct is still considered new, because it didnt exist pror to it's creation. The fact that American Soul, Funk, and Jazz were the mothers and fathers of the sound is a no brainer at this point. The influence of icons like James Brown, Dizzy Gillespie, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and many others cannot be denied.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
A byproduct is still considered new, because it didnt exist pror to it's creation. The fact that American Soul, Funk, and Jazz were the mothers and fathers of the sound is a no brainer at this point. The influence of icons like James Brown, Dizzy Gillespie, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and many others cannot be denied.
The point is Neo Soul us not new at all. It's was just repackaged as new.
It's like some selling you an old car and giving it a new coat of paint but despite everything else being the same tell you it's a new car.
Does D'Angelo sound like Sade or more like Marvin Gay?
Does Angie Stone sound more like Sade or Chaka Khan/Aretha Franklin?

Sade sound is that of likes of Nina Simone and smooth Jazz of the 80's (quiet storm).

Neo Soul is just souk and the artist that were pegged as such resent that label because fir them they are simply doing soul music.