Anita Baker a very happy 65th birthday

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

JFSR (Jazz Funk Soul Radio)
327544710_697005378634445_6860128184237506260_n.jpg
JFSR would like to wish Anita Baker a very happy 65th birthday. She was born this day in 1958 in Toledo, Ohio. When she was two her mother abandoned her and she was raised by a foster family in Detroit. Her foster parents died when she was 12 she was then looked after by her foster sister. By the time Anita was 16 she began singing at Detroit nightclubs and was discovered by bandleader David Washington who gave her a card to audition for the band Chapter 8. Joining the group in 1975 they toured until securing a deal with Ariola Records in 1979. The group's first album, Chapter 8, was released that year and featured the singles "Ready for Your Love", a duet between Anita and bandmate Gerald Lyles and "I Just Want to Be Your Girl."After Ariola was bought out by Arista Records in 1979 Chapter 8 was dropped by the label who were convinced that Anita, as the group's lead singer didn't have "star potential." Anita returned to Detroit working as a waitress and a receptionist until in 1982 Otis Smith a former associate of Ariola convinced her to start a solo career under his Beverly Glen label.​
The Songstress was released in May 1983. The album produced four singles: "No More Tears" and its B-side, "Will You Be Mine", "Angel" and "You're the Best Thing Yet". "Angel" became her first top ten single, "You're the Best Thing Yet" followed it in the R&B top 40 early the following year.
Despite this early success Anita later complained that she hadn't received any royalties from the work. In addition, the label delayed work on her follow-up. By 1984 after two years, she sought to leave the label but was sued by Smith for breach of contract in 1985. Being allowed to record for other labels she won the case against Otis Smith. She then signed with the Warner Music Group-associated Elektra Records label in 1985 and began working on her next album. Her Elektra contract allowed the singer to have creative control and produce her own music.
In March 1986 Anita released her second album, Rapture. While sales were initially slow following the release of the album's debut single, "Watch Your Step", Elektra released the mid-tempo ballad, "Sweet Love", which became her first pop hit, reaching number eight on the Billboard Hot 100 and also reaching the UK Top 20. The album eventually launched three further hit singles, including "Caught Up in the Rapture", "No One in the World" and "Same Ole Love (365 Days a Year)".
Throughout 1986 and 1987 Anita promoted the album by touring, which was later released on home video as A Night of Rapture. By 1988 the album had sold over 8 million copies worldwide and earned her 2 Grammy Awards.
In 1987 collaberating with The Winans on their song, "Ain't No Need to Worry", gave Anita a third Grammy this time in the Best Soul Gospel Performance by a Duo or Group, Choir or Chorus category.
The follow-up album Giving You the Best That I Got was released in October 1988 and immediately became a success topping the Billboard 200 and selling 5 million copies worldwide. The title track reached number three on the Billboard Hot 100 and topped the R&B and adult contemporary charts, becoming her most successful charted single. The follow-up, "Just Because", reached the top 20 on the pop chart while also becoming an R&B chart-topper, while a third single, "Lead Me Into Love", became a top ten R&B hit. The album resulted in three more Grammy Awards for the singer.
In 1990 her album Compositions, had Anita more involved in the songwriting and production process and the first in which she began incorporating more jazz elements than in previous albums. The album launched the singles "Talk to Me", "Soul Inspiration" and "Fairy Tales", and eventually sold over a million copies.
After appearing on Frank Sinatra's Duets album Anita returned to the charts with Rhythm of Love in 1994. The album featured "Body and Soul", her first top 40 pop hit since 1989. The second single, the mid-tempo "I Apologize", won her an eighth Grammy. The album eventually sold over two million copies: her fourth consecutive platinum-selling album.
Her last studio album My Everything was released in 2004 and was certified Gold. Since then she has worked on new music, toured, announced a brief retirement and in 2021 won the rights to own her own masters from Elektra Records.

ANGRY MAN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Always have this debate who can sing and hold a note better. Anita Baker or Whitney Houston, new generation would never understand!

HBD Ms.Baker