Votes: 191 60.6%
  • Anita Baker

Votes: 124 39.4%

• Total voters

Steve Lurkle

Star
Registered

Not a good comparison.
Sade is a 'song stylist' of her own songs that she and her band compose and perform. It is basically a hermetically sealed unit. We just lost the “reference standard” of female singers in Whitney. Whitney in her prime could of sung any style or genre of music with ease— Gospel, R&B, Rock, Jazz, Blues, whatever. Her producers and she kept her closely confined in Pop-R&B — but if they wanted to they could have had Whitney sing an album full of hit ‘cover songs’ by various artists and it would have worked. Whitney’s famous rendition of the national anthem is emblematic of her ability to make a well-known song her own in an inimitable style. Anita Baker while not the singer Whitney was also is a singer who can sing many different styles and genres. Sade has to stay inside of her beautifully created hermetically sealed ‘Sade & Band’ unit. Sade would not be singing the national anthem. Anita would do a great job singing it. Anita or Whitney could walk onto a show like Letterman and using the house band perform an excellent rendition of Stevie Wonder’s gold standard song “You Are The Sunshine Of My Life” with just one rehearsal. Sade, not so much, she’s knotted to her excellent band and their particular sound.

Am I the only one that pictured this dude talking while I read this?
American-Psycho-american-psycho-11068571-402-262.jpg

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
Then again African-Americans are impossible to beat vocal/soul wise, there no equivalent elsewhere on the planet.

Really? Whenever I produce evidence to the contrary, they get angry and hate me....
I take it that you know about the music of other people, and are taking it into
account when making this statement?

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I was never a Baker fan until 94 when she released "I Apologize" and "Body and Soul", two great soul songs.
But I'm going with Sade, who made me a fan the first time I heard her voice and who is still putting great music today.

HNIC

Commander
Staff member
They are 2 different animals.

Anita has the more powerful voice and better vocal range.
Sade is a vocal stylist, meaning she has her own vocal style and people love her voice and the way she sings the song.

I personally like both chicks the same, they do 2 different things :dunno:

HNIC

HNIC

Commander
Staff member
Great Analysis :)

Not a good comparison.
Sade is a 'song stylist' of her own songs that she and her band compose and perform. It is basically a hermetically sealed unit. We just lost the “reference standard” of female singers in Whitney. Whitney in her prime could of sung any style or genre of music with ease— Gospel, R&B, Rock, Jazz, Blues, whatever. Her producers and she kept her closely confined in Pop-R&B — but if they wanted to they could have had Whitney sing an album full of hit ‘cover songs’ by various artists and it would have worked. Whitney’s famous rendition of the national anthem is emblematic of her ability to make a well-known song her own in an inimitable style. Anita Baker while not the singer Whitney was also is a singer who can sing many different styles and genres. Sade has to stay inside of her beautifully created hermetically sealed ‘Sade & Band’ unit. Sade would not be singing the national anthem. Anita would do a great job singing it. Anita or Whitney could walk onto a show like Letterman and using the house band perform an excellent rendition of Stevie Wonder’s gold standard song “You Are The Sunshine Of My Life” with just one rehearsal. Sade, not so much, she’s knotted to her excellent band and their particular sound.

Uncontainable_Spirit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Not a good comparison.

On point. Nothing more need be said.

Humpfire

Fuck it..
Registered
Damn! Can't choose. Anita is the more vocally rangey of the 2. Sade rode the hell out of tracks though, stayed in her pocket! Sade gets a nod for more material, Anita gets a nod for true rnb classics, (chapter 8). I vibrate more with Sade's beats, I fucked more off of Anita's music.
Both are beautiful sistas! I refuse to pick one!!:smh::dunno::)

TooTrilla

Mil Town Legend
BGOL Investor
Sade all day. Don't give a fuck what ya'll talking bout. Anita got classic shit too. But Sade's stuff just does it for me.

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
Strange....It seems like most of the posters choose Anita and yet Sade is winning. I love Anita Baker but Sade has a sound I would follow anywhere.:D

that's because those voting would fuck sade or anita...

anita baker is the better singer no question but i would fuck sade

lightkappa

Potential Star
Registered
Not a good comparison.

This!

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I like both, but if you compare Anita Baker's best 1980's album "Rapture" with Sade's best "Diamond Life", I gotta go with Ms. Baker. I think a lot of votes for Sade were based upon looks rather than artistry. :hmm:

Bong

Dudes listen to Sade like that?

She's cool...but it's mellow, I prefer more soul

Last edited:

N*E*R*D

Out here somewhere
Registered
Love em both!!!!!

But I love Sade that much more

That woman's voice and the way the band plays.....fuck!

lowlite

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anita got me more pussy, but Sade got me better pussy so I love em equally. And on looks Anita was sexy as hell so Sade ain't hurtin nothin there. (Sade is fine too now...) Damn was that Chaka Khan still kinda hot?

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
WOW!! This has to be the heart's desire of EVERY Artist! To have an entire Theater sing your song and sing it with EVERY vocal movement you originally recorded! Awesome moment!!!

Chuck_Luck

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Wow, the executive portion of my brain had a malfunction. Both of these woman get played on spotify equally by me.

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member

That's my girl all day long......

And yes, she is a stylist, but so is Anita.

Each have their own distinct style. I believe Sade can sing anything that Anita can sing, but she would just sing it in her way...her style.

My edge goes to Sade because Anita's style gets redundant to me......I have seen both in concert, as I am an avid concert goer and I must say that after about the second or third song, all of Anita's songs begin to sound the same........all that warbling through every song gets old.