Votes: 191 60.6%
  • Anita Baker

Votes: 124 39.4%

• Total voters

bwb

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Not a good comparison.
Sade is a 'song stylist' of her own songs that she and her band compose and perform. It is basically a hermetically sealed unit. We just lost the “reference standard” of female singers in Whitney. Whitney in her prime could of sung any style or genre of music with ease— Gospel, R&B, Rock, Jazz, Blues, whatever. Her producers and she kept her closely confined in Pop-R&B — but if they wanted to they could have had Whitney sing an album full of hit ‘cover songs’ by various artists and it would have worked. Whitney’s famous rendition of the national anthem is emblematic of her ability to make a well-known song her own in an inimitable style. Anita Baker while not the singer Whitney was also is a singer who can sing many different styles and genres. Sade has to stay inside of her beautifully created hermetically sealed ‘Sade & Band’ unit. Sade would not be singing the national anthem. Anita would do a great job singing it. Anita or Whitney could walk onto a show like Letterman and using the house band perform an excellent rendition of Stevie Wonder’s gold standard song “You Are The Sunshine Of My Life” with just one rehearsal. Sade, not so much, she’s knotted to her excellent band and their particular sound.

nailed+it.jpg

Last edited:

Uncontainable_Spirit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Not a good comparison.
Sade is a 'song stylist' of her own songs that she and her band compose and perform. It is basically a hermetically sealed unit. We just lost the “reference standard” of female singers in Whitney. Whitney in her prime could of sung any style or genre of music with ease— Gospel, R&B, Rock, Jazz, Blues, whatever. Her producers and she kept her closely confined in Pop-R&B — but if they wanted to they could have had Whitney sing an album full of hit ‘cover songs’ by various artists and it would have worked. Whitney’s famous rendition of the national anthem is emblematic of her ability to make a well-known song her own in an inimitable style. Anita Baker while not the singer Whitney was also is a singer who can sing many different styles and genres. Sade has to stay inside of her beautifully created hermetically sealed ‘Sade & Band’ unit. Sade would not be singing the national anthem. Anita would do a great job singing it. Anita or Whitney could walk onto a show like Letterman and using the house band perform an excellent rendition of Stevie Wonder’s gold standard song “You Are The Sunshine Of My Life” with just one rehearsal. Sade, not so much, she’s knotted to her excellent band and their particular sound.

Well said. While I love Sade, logically I have to go with Anita.

Better

Support BGOL
Registered
Lord, don't make me choose!

Sade and her band ... my god. Anita Baker's voice is so .... damn.

"Don't leave me out in the cold...." - Anita Baker, Body & Soul. :lol::lol::lol:

You dudes are fucked up for even making me having to compare the two. Of course, Anita is a better vocalist, but Sade and her band were just genius together.

Damn.

papi68

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Haircut like Anita Baker, looked her up and down and said hmmm I'll take her.

Gazoo

The Big Brain
BGOL Investor
Sweet Love is one of my faves... BUT Sade Sade Sade... Lawd haf mercy!

Overall Sade gets it.

P.S.

er'one keep talking about how they can't choose. Just pretend you're on the street and there are two doors. Which one do you choose? The one that goes to Sade's concert or the one that goes to Anita's.

Make a choice damnit!

Seano

Potential Star
BGOL Investor

Not a good comparison.

I agree with your assesment but... Do you think that we feel that Sade's sound is "unique" only because she was/is nowhere near as accessable as other artists? Sade hardly ever does any interviews or talk shows, and she tours like every 5 years or so. Also, she doesnt live here in the States full time so she's not at award shows, doing duets or on the L.A. scene at all. I guess im saying is because we have very limited access to her outside of the music she does with her band, how do we know that Sade isnt able to sing with other bands or musical styles? Is this just an assumption we're making because we havent seen her do anything else?

KoolJay

Vidi Veni Vici
BGOL Investor
Sade is Kool, but Anita is personal, I have memories to d@mn near all of her songs. Great memories.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I didn't vote because it's hard to say who's better since I see as doing two different things but I prefer Sade.

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
ANITA all day, i don't see how people are saying they aren't comparable. You got each of theirs CD's in hand, you can only choose one, you choose simple as that

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
ANITA all day, i don't see how people are saying they aren't comparable. You got each of theirs CD's in hand, you can only choose one, you choose simple as that

They don't do the same thing, like comparing Al Green to U2. YOu can say what you prefer, based on personal taste but it's impossible to honestly say who is better since it's not a fair comparison.

mk23666

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought this was a who would you rather bone thread, which would have made it easy...Most will say Anita, but if I throw on Is It a Crime (recorded or live)...you can only get as good as that..getting better is damn near impossible

This ...

buster

Star
Registered
Anita is very good at her art , but,
Sade is like a souped up car in a rent a go-cart town great with the lyrics
:cool:

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anita. Sade's shit depresses the fuck out me sometimes. Saw her in concert and left early. Sade is the shit, but her shit sound like funeral procession after a while. Anita had some cool, groove type shit, plus some good ballads. Anita all day.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
anita baker had great songs and a tight band. her voice is so-so. she has no range. if you heard her when she was with chapter 8 you'd know what I mean. oh, and she had the perri sisters singing background. anybody who knows knows they were some bad singers with killer 3 part harmony.
sade had great songs and a tight band. sade is like a crooner. she doesn't try to be anything else. and she got that move where she just sways her hips. man, I love her live.

Mr. Bitches

One day it'll all make sense
Platinum Member
Sade all day- anytime you can release an album approximately once every 7-10 years and still be relevant and soulful speaks for itself!!

My .02

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered
Love Sade 1 B 4 real. What I call call Highway heater music.

But its Anita baby

I cornered Anita at Chaka Khan birthday a few months back. At first I know she thought I was off, but she got what I was saying. Shared some my memories of moments where her music played the soundtrack. Lovely woman. I thought about it, believe I thought about it.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eXNPIsqo8ZU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fans in the trunk couldnt keep my amps cool hittin corners to this ...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8XjZ6n-xrYA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One finger on the wheel whippin back streets ...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yWwUcytu5Tk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Both make very spirtual music. Own both catalogs.

Last edited:

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
for me i always liked listening to anita, just felt right.

i was scared of sade..... listening to her for extended periods seemed like it would put you in some kind of trance you can't get out of.

i wouldn't be surprised if there was a cult in the mountains somewhere swaying back and forth 24 hours a day listening to by your side

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered
Anita. and Jason killed the thread.

You cant hate Sade because she part Barack.

Minimize your own, minimize yourself.

Cant hold sexy against no woman.

Sexiness is vicious when not used for the power of good vs EEEE vil

Woman is sexy & spiritual. Ricky Henderson Homerun trot ! Take 3 bags & the plate !

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xMx-PGvpbwM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aint no Oakland Tech fan, but its Oakland still the same ... Its a town thang ! Best lead off hitter in the history of baseball babe. Black history run 12 months in the town. Its full of talent !

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-Oga5lYb9EA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

God's Gift

The best of the majority of you niggas.
BGOL Investor
I love both, but this cd is in my personal top 10 of all time.

513stynCHRL._SS500_.jpg

I too love them both and have seen both in concert. I gotta go with Anita here on the strength of this album. IMHO, the greatest single r&b album of all time. Every track is hiring and I honestly can't say I've never skipped a sade track to get to something else on the album. Just blessed to have lived with two of the greatest female singers of all time