Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs Agree to deal $503 million over the next 12 seasons

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor

The Chiefs and quarterback Patrick Mahomes have reached agreement on a 10-year contract extension worth over $400 million that ties him to Kansas City through the 2031 season, league sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Chiefs picked up Mahomes' fifth-year option for the 2021 season in April, putting him under contract for the next two seasons. Mahomes had two years and $27.6 million left on his existing deal -- $2.8 million this year, $24.8 million in 2021. The 10-year extension puts him under contract with the Chiefs for the next 12 seasons.

With a payout of at least $427.6 million over the next 12 seasons, Mahomes will have the largest contract in American professional sports. Mike Trout had previously held that distinction when he signed a 12-year, $426.5 million contract with the Los Angeles Angels in March 2019. While Trout's contract is fully guaranteed, it wasn't immediately clear how much guaranteed money was included in Mahomes' deal.

Patrick Mahomes: Past 2 Seasons
Including the playoffs, Patrick Mahomes leads the NFL in touchdown passes, passing yards, yards per attempt, Total QBR and wins as a starter over the past two seasons.

NFL RANK
Pass TD891st
Pass yards10,6021st
Wins271st
Total QBR791st
Yards per att.8.51st
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Mahomes becomes the fourth quarterback since 2011 to receive an extension before the start of his fourth season, joining Ryan Tannehill (Miami Dolphins in 2015), Carson Wentz (Philadelphia Eagles in '19) and Jared Goff (Los Angeles Rams in '19).

The Chiefs had said they intended to sign their franchise quarterback to an extension but had previously indicated it might not happen until after this season.

Mahomes, 24, was MVP of Kansas City's 31-20 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LIV, becoming the first quarterback in NFL history to win a league MVP and Super Bowl before turning 25.

EDITOR'S PICKS
Mahomes became the youngest quarterback to be named Super Bowl MVP, helping the Chiefs erase a 10-point fourth-quarter deficit by leading three touchdown drives. He finished 26-of-42 for 286 yards with three total touchdowns (two passing, one rushing), two interceptions and a 78.6 passer rating. He joined Tom Brady (Super Bowl XLIX) and Terry Bradshaw (XIV) as the only players to win Super Bowl MVP despite throwing multiple interceptions.

Mahomes was named the NFL's MVP after the 2018 season, when he led the NFL with 50 touchdown passes and threw for 5,097 yards in his first full season as a starter.

The Chiefs traded up in the 2017 draft to select Mahomes with the 10th overall pick. He sat out for most of his rookie season behind starter Alex Smith, only starting in the season finale when the Chiefs rested their starters.

The Chiefs traded Smith to the Washington Redskins before the following season, making Mahomes the starter.

Overall, Mahomes has thrown for 9,412 yards with 76 touchdowns and 18 interceptions in 31 regular-season games. In five playoff games, he has thrown for 1,474 yards with 13 touchdowns and two interceptions.

s doing it.

Last edited:

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They like to be funny with these deals.....he ain't signing no 10 year deal he was still under contract for this year and next if I'm not mistaken. They gonna make the deal look smaller annually but its going to be much bigger than it looks on the surface.

RAY V.

AP 2nd Team All-American
BGOL Investor
Patrick Mahomes bout to have KC front office...

fred-heart-attack.gif

babydaddy

Rising Star
Platinum Member
10 years is a long time to lock yourself into a deal. I'm shocked he signed a deal for that length of time.
In five years, the numbers won't look as impressive.
That being he said, he's probably getting at least $350 mil fully guaranteed.
Right, gotta be like 350 to 500 guaranteed.

TeEdIzZeL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This remind me of the Alex Rodriguez 10 year 250 mil contract. Thats too long of a contract. By the time Alexs contract was over, Cats were signing for that long for damn near 500 mil. He shouldve done a 5 year and then renegotiate when he was 29 to see where the market was at that time.

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
If he stays healthy, he’ll be a top 5 ever. In a few years he’ll be underpaid and will need to renegotiate a new deal.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I hope he can renegotiate in three or four years

QB contracts become outdated fast
That's why I'm shocked he signed a 10 year deal or I guess its really a 8 year deal. Or any long term. If anyone would sign a 4 year deal it should be him.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If he stays healthy, he’ll be a top 5 ever. In a few years he’ll be underpaid and will need to renegotiate a new deal.
And Chiefs don't have to do a damn thing if they don't want to. They'd probably do it to keep their franchise qb happy but they surely don't.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's why I'm shocked he signed a 10 year deal or I guess its really a 8 year deal. Or any long term. If anyone would sign a 4 year deal it should be him.
It's actually more like a 12 year deal, since he already has 2 years on his current deal.
Mind-boggling that he would sign a deal for that length of time.
I expected more like a 5 year deal for $200 mil fully guaranteed.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's actually more like a 12 year deal, since he already has 2 years on his current deal.
Mind-boggling that he would sign a deal for that length of time.
I expected more like a 5 year deal for $200 mil fully guaranteed.
Usually how these extensions work is they add the years they are already under contract. Like Carson Wentz signed a 6 year extension but he was under contract for 2 more years so it was really the same 4 year deal everyone been getting. I think this is really a 8 year deal unless I'm not understanding it right.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Usually how these extensions work is they add the years they are already under contract. Like Carson Wentz signed a 6 year extension but he was under contract for 2 more years so it was really the same 4 year deal everyone been getting. I think this is really a 8 year deal unless I'm not understanding it right.

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Let me see the Guaranteed $$$$.....I'm glad he got his money because that cap is going down when they have fanless games and eventually have to cancel the season.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
any news on Dak?

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
10 years is a long time to lock yourself into a deal. I'm shocked he signed a deal for that length of time.
In five years, the numbers won't look as impressive.
That being he said, he's probably getting at least $350 mil fully guaranteed.
Yep and all before the young brotha got married and started having kids with the white bitch. I hope he drops her but i doubt it happens.

Salute.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I remember being a kid and writing this rhyme “for my block i will let the tec blow cause I’m a patriot for life like Drew Bledsoe”.