OFFICIAL NBA SUMMER PLAYER MOVEMENT thread

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
This is an interesting article. With all the free agent talent next year, I wonder if the majority will head east with the logic that it would be an easier road to the finals.

BTW-I see Marbury signing with Boston when his contract expires. :yes:

LeBron: About Time We Got Stars In The East
August 17, 2007 - 6:44 pm
ESPN -
Yes, it might make the road back to the NBA Finals a little tougher for the Cleveland Cavaliers , but the arrivals of Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen in Boston, Zach Randolph in New York, Jason Richardson in Charlotte and Rashard Lewis in Orlando will increase the competitiveness of the conference -- and to LeBron that's a good thing.

"It's about time we got some pros over in the Eastern Conference," James said Thursday after Team USA held its second practice. "I think it's going to be good. I think the Eastern Conference is definitely going to step up a notch now because Boston wasn't a playoff team, but now they're looking like they're going to be a playoff team. New York is definitely going to have a good shot at it again, and the Eastern Conference is definitely stepping it up. I think it's good for the league."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Riley: Payton Not Expected Back
August 23, 2007 - 7:44 pm
SI.com -
Gary Payton is not expected back with Miami next season, Heat coach Pat Riley said Thursday.

Payton averaged 6.6 points in two seasons with Miami, and helped the Heat win the 2006 NBA title. Payton said several times last year that he's considering retirement, but the nine-time All-Star hasn't declared whether he's officially ruled out what would be an 18th pro season.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Houston Says Comeback Is A Go
August 23, 2007 - 8:19 pm
USA Today -
Allan Houston says he believed in his heart that his career wasn't over when he retired two years ago because of knee problems.

Now he says his heart and body are on the same page and the former New York Knicks captain is ready for a comeback.

"I'm going to give it a shot," said Houston, whose foundation on Sunday will sponsor a Father Knows Best Retreat, a faith-based event in Harlem designed to strengthen father-son and mentor-mentee relationships. "I'm working out every day. I just have to figure out where it's going to be. In my heart I always felt it wasn't over. As I started working out, I felt my body was catching up with my heart."

Houston said playing for the Knicks isn't out of the question and that two teams have contacted him. The 6-6 guard said that while several teams, including Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit and Miami are going to be good, going to a good team doesn't guarantee a title

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Breaking News: Boston Signs Posey
August 25, 2007 - 3:14 pm
Boston Herald -
The Celtics just agreed to terms with one of the hottest free agents still on the market - James Posey, a player who should give the Celtics defense a significant upgrade.

This 6-8 forward, known in particular for his role as a defensive stopper on the 2006 Miami team that won the NBA title, averaged 7.7 points, five boards and one steal per game last season.

The deal came together with relative haste. Though Danny Ainge, the Celtics’ director of basketball operations, had been in touch with Posey over the last month, discussions gained momentum yesterday, after Reggie Miller informed the Celtics that he would not come out of retirement to join the team.

By this afternoon, the sides had reached agreement on a deal that will pay Posey just over $3 million - the amount left on the team’s mid-level exception - next season. The full contract will pay him $7 million over the next two years, with Posey holding an option on the second season.

Posey’s decision is significant, considering that the Celtics initially considered his price to be too high. But dynamics of the market drove Posey’s price down.

According to agent Mark Bartelstein, Posey could have received more to play in some other locations, but was attracted by the Celtics’ growing allure as eastern conference contenders.

New Jersey had been close to a deal with Posey this week, but had less money to offer than the Celtics.

Though Posey had been thought to be angling for a return to Miami, the Heat’s signing of Anfernee Hardaway may have changed his thinking.

His modest scoring numbers aside, Posey is considered a high-energy player who is particularly adept that shutting down opposing small forwards and big guards.

At the age of 30, he is not only considered to be a player in his prime, but also one of the NBA’s most highly regarded role players - in short, the perfect player to compliment Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen.

This (and the Pollard deal) is a good pickup for the C's. They need an upgrade at the PG. I'm curious to know if they go all out now to get one of wait untill the big free agent market next summer. Also, Troy Hudson is still available. I wonder if he is calling KG and lobbying to get a job there?

Last edited:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Magic sign C Foyle to bolster front line
/ Associated Press
Posted: 1 day ago

The Orlando Magic signed free agent center Adonal Foyle on Friday, bringing in a shot blocker to join star Dwight Howard in the front court.
The 6-foot-10 Foyle was available after he and the Golden State Warriors agreed on a buyout earlier this month.

"Adonal (Foyle) is a solid shot blocker and post defender," Magic general manager Otis Smith said. "His presence helps fortify our frontcourt, while bringing us veteran leadership."

Foyle signed a six-year deal worth nearly $42 million in July 2004 and had spent his entire career with Golden State. But he rarely played last season in coach Don Nelson's guard-oriented lineups.

The 10-year veteran has appeared in 641 regular season games, averaging 4.4 points and five rebounds per game. He has a career average of 1.78 blocks per game and was the Warriors' all-time leader in rejections with 1,140.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
*sigh* :smh:

Bucks Sign Yi Jianlian To Multi-Year Contract
August 29, 2007 - 6:27 am
Bucks.com -
The Milwaukee Bucks announced today that 2007 first round draft pick Yi Jianlian has signed a multi-year contract. The Bucks 6th overall selection in the 2007 NBA Draft, Yi Jianlian signed his contract in Hong Kong following a negotiating session with Mr. Chen Haitao, owner of the Guangdong Tigers.

Bucks owner and team president Senator Herb Kohl, General Manager Larry Harris and Bucks Vice President Ron Walter were able to meet with Mr. Chen, as well as Yi and his family, as part of the process.

Yi Jianlian is expected to join the team for training camp that begins on Monday, October 1 at the Bucks Training Center in St. Francis, WI.

“There has been a genuine excitement throughout our city and state, as well as internationally, following our selection of Yi in the NBA Draft,” said Senator Herb Kohl. “We all anticipate Yi’s arrival and welcome him and his family to Milwaukee. We look forward to a successful relationship for many years to come.”

“We would be remiss if we didn’t acknowledge and thank Mr. Chen for his assistance and support in the negotiating process,” Kohl added.

“We were thrilled to be able to draft Yi Jianlian in June and are equally excited to sign him to a NBA contract as a member of the Milwaukee Bucks ,” said Harris. “We drafted Yi with the expectation that he would be a part of our franchise for a very long time and this is the first step in that process. Yi is a skilled and versatile young man who we have seen play numerous times over the last few years including this summer in the NBA Summer League. Our players and coaches look forward to working with Yi and I know our fans will enjoy watching him compete with the many talented, young players on our roster.”

NBA Commissioner David J. Stern commented, “We are happy that Yi will be playing with the Bucks to further develop his skill and his contribution to both the Chinese National Team and the NBA. This is another great example of cooperation between the CBA and the NBA and I want to congratulate the CBA, Mr. Chen, the Guangdong Tigers and the Milwaukee Bucks .”

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Clippers Sign Ruben Patterson
August 29, 2007 - 6:58 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
The Los Angeles Clippers today signed free agent forward Ruben Patterson. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

A nine-year NBA veteran, Patterson is coming off a successful 2006-07 season in Milwaukee, where he established new career-highs by averaging 14.7 points, 2.9 assists and 31.4 minutes per game. Patterson appeared in 81 games for the Bucks, equaling a career-high while also tying his career-high with 5.4 rebounds per game. Patterson shot 55 percent from the field last season, his highest field goal percentage as a pro.

“We are thrilled to add Ruben to our team,” Clippers Vice President of Basketball Operations Elgin Baylor said. “Ruben plays hard every single night. He is an aggressive defensive player and has a real enthusiasm for the game. He gives 100 percent every game.”

The Clippers will be Patterson’s fifth NBA team, as he spent the 2006-07 season with the Bucks after appearing in 70 games and splitting time with the Trail Blazers and Denver Nuggets in 2005-06. Patterson faced the Clippers in the 2006 NBA Playoffs, appearing in four games and starting one as the Clippers defeated the Nuggets.

“I am really excited by our signing of Ruben Patterson,” Clippers head coach Mike Dunleavy said. “He is a great competitor. I have always admired the intensity he brings from game to game. His versatility will help improve our team.”

In his career, which has also seen stops with the Seattle Supersonics and Los Angeles Lakers , Patterson has averaged 10.9 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game. Originally drafted by the Lakers with the 31st overall selection in the 1998 NBA Draft out of Cincinnati, Patterson played in 10 games for AEK Athens in Greece during the 1998-99 season as well. The Ohio native signed with Seattle before the 1999-2000 season and then moved to Portland prior to the 2001-02 season.

Patterson was a star at the University of Cincinnati, averaging 16.5 points and 6.3 rebounds per game during his senior year and earning Second Team All-Conference USA honors. Patterson played his first two years of collegiate basketball at Independence Community College in Kansas before transferring to Cincinnati for the 1996-97 season

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Bobcats Re-Sign McInnis To One-Year Deal
August 29, 2007 - 5:42 pm
AP -
The Bobcats found their backup point guard Wednesday when they re-signed Jeff McInnis to a one-year, $1.2 million contract.

McInnis, who was an unrestricted free agent, averaged 4.3 points and 3.3 assists in 38 games last season as the No. 3 point guard behind starter Raymond Felton and Brevin Knight.

McInnis, who turns 33 in October, will take on a bigger role as Felton's main backup next season after the Bobcats bought out the final year of Knight's contract.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Payton Definitely Wants To Play Another Season
August 29, 2007 - 9:01 am
Miami Herald -
Gary Payton, unhappy how last season ended, decided he wants to play another season, his agent said.

Payton reportedly thought he likely would return to the Heat before Pat Riley said otherwise publicly last week.

Chi Shot Caller

Star
Registered
Rollie_Fingaz good work on keeping this spot up to date and I should've been in here sooner.

Gotta comment on a couple moves.

Francis to Houston: This move should make the rockets a much better team. If francis can stay healthy I am pretty sure he would be content enough to play 3rd option and starting pg honors. Backcourt with him and Tracey is very nice and he is an underrated passer and rebounder. If they can have good chemistry they should be good. Downside: Him and Van Gundy didn't really hit it off on their first go-round.

Smith to Bulls: The bulls payed close to nothing for him if im not mistaken. We didn't need much, just a decent inside presence. He is basically PJ Brown without the contract. Our young guys and Wallace should have the majority of the post minutes sewn up but we all know how much Skiles likes vets so who knows. He did show alot of support for Thomas during the end of the season though... GO Bulls.

Desmond Mason waived by NO: Desmond Mason is a poor man's Gerald Wallace, which is a good thing. With the Bucks current roster plus his addition they should come back to a contending team (as far as making the playoffs)

KG to the Celtics: WTF what can I say other then KG, Ray and Pierce are all top 10 in my list of fav NBA vets. Pierce may have not won many games but it hasn't been due to stablizing his nickname as "The Truth" and with "The Kid" and "Jesus" I can't see them doing too bad at all. Hopefully them and the Bulls in the East conf Finals. I dispise Posey though but anyway.

Heat release E.Jones but sigh P.Hardaway: WTF looks like a downgrade to me. atleast Jones was hittin 3's last year which is more then i can hope for penny. Oh well.

Dallas signing E.Jones: WTF again? You have Stack but sign Eddie Jones. It's a copy of what i said right above except they both hit 3s but stack is younger.

E.Brand ruptures Achellies: Damn Fam... that's too bad man. get healthy soon. One of the classiest and most underrated players in maybe league history will likely be out for the majority of the season. The Clips can't catch a break for shit.

Ill be back with another break down after we see some more moves and i forgot about some cause these were off of memory. Keep the post up and take care fam...

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Chi Shot Caller said:
Rollie_Fingaz good work on keeping this spot up to date and I should've been in here sooner.

Gotta comment on a couple moves.

Francis to Houston: This move should make the rockets a much better team. If francis can stay healthy I am pretty sure he would be content enough to play 3rd option and starting pg honors. Backcourt with him and Tracey is very nice and he is an underrated passer and rebounder. If they can have good chemistry they should be good. Downside: Him and Van Gundy didn't really hit it off on their first go-round.

Smith to Bulls: The bulls payed close to nothing for him if im not mistaken. We didn't need much, just a decent inside presence. He is basically PJ Brown No problemwithout the contract. Our young guys and Wallace should have the majority of the post minutes sewn up but we all know how much Skiles likes vets so who knows. He did show alot of support for Thomas during the end of the season though... GO Bulls.

Desmond Mason waived by NO: Desmond Mason is a poor man's Gerald Wallace, which is a good thing. With the Bucks current roster plus his addition they should come back to a contending team (as far as making the playoffs)

KG to the Celtics: WTF what can I say other then KG, Ray and Pierce are all top 10 in my list of fav NBA vets. Pierce may have not won many games but it hasn't been due to stablizing his nickname as "The Truth" and with "The Kid" and "Jesus" I can't see them doing too bad at all. Hopefully them and the Bulls in the East conf Finals. I dispise Posey though but anyway.

Heat release E.Jones but sigh P.Hardaway: WTF looks like a downgrade to me. atleast Jones was hittin 3's last year which is more then i can hope for penny. Oh well.

Dallas signing E.Jones: WTF again? You have Stack but sign Eddie Jones. It's a copy of what i said right above except they both hit 3s but stack is younger.

E.Brand ruptures Achellies: Damn Fam... that's too bad man. get healthy soon. One of the classiest and most underrated players in maybe league history will likely be out for the majority of the season. The Clips can't catch a break for shit.

Ill be back with another break down after we see some more moves and i forgot about some cause these were off of memory. Keep the post up and take care fam...

No problem, my dude..I actually had hoped that Francis and Eddie Jones would have gone to Boston.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Trade with Sixers allows Denver to shed payroll

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Updated: September 10, 2007, 7:10 PM ET

The teams that combined on December's Allen Iverson blockbuster trade hooked up for another deal Monday.

Philadelphia and Denver agreed to a deal that sends reserve center Steven Hunter and second-year forward Bobby Jones to Iverson's Nuggets for forward Reggie Evans and the draft rights to Puerto Rican forward Ricky Sanchez.

The Nuggets knew they were thrusting themselves into luxury-tax territory when they won the Iverson Sweepstakes, but this deal will enable them to shed nearly $8 million in salary.

"This move greatly helps us add depth at our center position while reducing our inventory of power forwards," Mark Warkentien, Denver's vice president of basketball operations, told The Associated Press. "Reggie played a valuable role for us during his time in Denver and we appreciate his professionalism."

The Nuggets also are getting themselves a backup for veteran center Marcus Camby by tapping into their depth at power forward, believing that Evans would have struggled for minutes with Kenyon Martin expected to make his comeback from a second microfracture knee surgery and with Nene Hilario and George Karl favorite Eduardo Najera also ahead of him at the position.

"Steven is an athletic, 7-foot big man, a Mile High runner that can block shots," Warkentien told AP. "We think his presence will provide us with a more balanced roster. Bobby is an intriguing young player, who really played well at the end of the season."

In Evans, Philadelphia lands one of the league's foremost per-minute rebounders. Evans offset his offensive limitations by averaging 7.0 boards in 17.1 minutes per game for the Nuggets last season and has a career average of 7.2 rebounds in just 19.9 minutes.

"He is an accomplished rebounder that we feel will make an immediate impact and will exemplify our commitment to hard work, rebounding and defense," 76ers general manager Billy King told AP.

Sanchez's rights were acquired by the Nuggets along with the draft rights to Linas Kleiza in exchange for the draft rights to Jarrett Jack in a draft-day deal in 2005.

"At 6-11, Ricky Sanchez is a young prospect that has potential and we will continue to monitor his development as he plays overseas," King told AP.

The Sixers weren't finished, agreeing to terms with free agent Calvin Booth. The 6-foot-11 center played in 44 games with Washington last season, averaging 1.6 points and 1.8 rebounds. Booth has a career average of 3.5 points and 2.9 rebounds in eight seasons.

If there's a risk for the 76ers, it's the foot injury suffered by starting center Samuel Dalembert while playing for Canada in the recent pre-Olympic qualifying tournament in Las Vegas. Yet King said last week that the club expects Dalembert to be ready for the start of training camp Oct. 2 in Durham, N.C. Dalembert started all 82 games last season.

Hunter has been available via trade for well over a year, after the Sixers nearly dealt him to New Orleans in February 2006. The trade with the Hornets, halfway through Hunter's first season in Philadelphia, would have sent two second-round picks to Philadelphia but was rescinded by the Hornets because of unspecified health concerns. The 7-footer averaged 6.4 points and 4.8 minutes for the Sixers last season, playing 70 games and averaging 22.9 minutes.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor

Philadelphia Agrees To Terms With Booth

September 10, 2007 - 8:19 pm
Philadelphia Daily News -
The Sixers have agreed to terms with free-agent center Calvin Booth and will sign him tomorrow, team president Billy King said today.

Contract terms were not disclosed.

The 6-11 Booth played in 44 games with Washington last season, averaging 1.6 points and 1.8 rebounds in 44 regular-season games.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Disgruntled Bell signs offer sheet with Heat

Associated Press

Updated: September 17, 2007, 8:37 PM ET

MIAMI -- Restricted free-agent guard Charlie Bell signed a $18.5 million, five-year offer sheet with the Miami Heat on Monday, and now will wait to see if the Milwaukee Bucks choose to match that deal.

The 6-foot-3 Bell has made it clear in recent days that he wants to play for the Heat, who were foiled in a bid earlier this offseason to woo guard Mo Williams away from the Bucks. Bell averaged a career-high 13.5 points in a breakout season last year for Milwaukee, making 64 starts.

"It's been a very long and drawn-out process this summer," said Bell's agent, Mark Bartelstein. "And Charlie is at the point where he's kind of broken his emotional ties to the Bucks."

The Bucks have seven days to match Miami's offer.

"I hope they don't match it," Bell said Monday afternoon in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "The Bucks said they didn't have this kind of money and didn't want to give me a long-term deal, so I would hope they stick to what they said and let me go... I'm really thankful Miami stepped up."

Bell signed with Milwaukee two seasons ago after averaging a league-best 27 points for Breogan of the Spanish League. He went undrafted after helping Michigan State win the 2000 national championship, played briefly with Phoenix and Dallas before spending three seasons playing in Italy.

He also had an offer from a Greek team, but South Florida is where he wants to be, Bartelstein said.

"He feels very strongly about it and his mind is made up," Bartelstein said.

Williams was Miami's top point-guard pursuit this summer, but could only offer him a deal worth about $31 million. Milwaukee easily topped that to retain Williams, giving him a six-year pact worth $51.5 million.

Bell's status, meanwhile, remained in limbo.

"I had a really bad summer because of how all of this went down with Milwaukee, so I don't want to be there," Bell said. "I don't think I could give my all to the Bucks anymore, so I hope they respect that."

And with training camp starting in two weeks, Bell hopes his wait is now over.

"The last thing Charlie or I want to do is be disrespectful about this," Bartelstein said. "But he signed the offer sheet with Miami, not with Milwaukee, and there's a reason for that."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Ivey signs as Bucks mull Bell offer
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2007 4:57PM; Updated: Tuesday September 18, 2007 5:01PM

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The Milwaukee Bucks signed guard Royal Ivey to a one-year contract on Tuesday, the day after backup point guard Charlie Bell signed an offer sheet with the Miami Heat.

"Royal has shown that he can play both the point and off-guard positions," general manager Larry Harris said in a statement. "He has good size and athleticism, and brings a defensive mentality to our roster."

The Bucks have a week to match Bell's five-year, $18.5 million offer, and have not ruled out re-signing Bell even though he said Monday he did not want to return to Milwaukee.

"The Bucks said they didn't have this kind of money and didn't want to give me a long-term deal, so I would hope they stick to what they said and let me go," Bell said.

The 6-foot-4 Ivey was drafted in the second round by Atlanta in 2004 and appeared in 53 games last season, averaging 3 points and a rebound in 10 minutes a game.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Lakers Sign Elton Brown
September 17, 2007 - 7:37 pm
Lakers.com -
The Los Angeles Lakers have signed free agent forward Elton Brown, it was announced today. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not released.

Brown, a 6-9 forward out of the University of Virginia, finished 20th on Virginia’s all-time scoring list with 1,356 points and 13th on the all-time rebounding list with 660 rebounds.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Pippen Close To Two Match Deal In Finland
September 20, 2007 - 1:08 pm
Globe And Mail -
Former Chicago Bulls player Scottie Pippen is close to signing a two match deal with Finland's Torpan Pojat (ToPo), the team said on Thursday.

The plan is that Pippen, a six-time NBA champion and now 41 years old, would play in ToPo in December or January.

"We are discussing details now, such as when and in which matches he will play," ToPo's general manager Aleksi Valavuori said.

"He would be the best player ever to have played in Europe."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Report: Bucks Match Offer For Bell
September 20, 2007 - 3:23 pm
Miami Herald -
The Miami Heat has apparently missed out again in its quest to land a member of the Milwaukee Bucks backcourt.

Citing league sources, The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported on its website Thursday that the Bucks have matched the Heat's offer sheet for restricted free agent Charlie Bell.

Bell, a six-foot-three combination guard, had signed a five-year, $18.5 million offer sheet with the Heat on Monday and said this week he did not wish to return to Milwaukee because of strained negotiations with the team.

Bell's agent, Mark Bartelstein, did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Who made the best moves in the East this summer? Let's rank 'em

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Updated: September 21, 2007

The Boston Celtics haven't won a championship since 1986, but the trophy-worthy celebrations that began in late July when Bostonians found out that Kevin Garnett is now theirs can continue with this unofficial title:

Best in the East in our annual review of offseason business.

With training camps scheduled to open in less than two weeks, it's a good time to recount how the Celts were resurrected from two decades of gloom, how everyone else in the East fared in their summer dealings and how five 20-points-per-game scorers moved into the weaker conference from the West.

The following, then, is a Nos. 1-to-15, team-by-team ranking based on who has done the East's finest shopping and trading.

Just to be clear, though, the same rules as with last year's inaugural rankings apply: This list is based strictly on the offseason. It's my assessment explaining whose summers I liked and whose summers I didn't. This is not the predicted order of finish for the coming season.

1. Boston Celtics

If I'm being totally honest, my opinion of the Danny Ainge regime actually changed on the night of July 11, nearly three weeks before Ainge completed The Great KG Heist. That's when, after another all-day helping of summer-league ball at UNLV, I wound up at the same late-night restaurant as Ainge.

In-N-Out.

As divine as the world's best fast-food burger is, however, In-N-Out is not where you expect to run into an NBA general manager. Definitely not in Vegas, with so many fine-dining options around town and knowing what kind of expense accounts front-office chiefs carry.

So I was unavoidably impressed. I'm well aware my In-N-Out obsession is unhealthy on numerous levels, but I couldn't help over-inflating the significance of this unlikely meeting. In an instant, Ainge seemed shrewder than ever before, bypassing the pricy Strip because he knew where the sumptuous double-doubles were.

He was finishing up just as I had placed my order and I even stopped by his booth to jokingly say that his dinner choice had to rank as one of his best-ever moves running the Celtics. The joke came out sounding a lot more condescending than I had intended, but Ainge smiled politely anyway. Maybe he already knew then, after numerous huddles in the gym with Timberwolves counterpart Kevin McHale, that he'd soon be making a trade that would hush all the know-it-alls like me.

Even if he didn't know yet -- and even in the likely event that this little tale doesn't move you like it did me -- Ainge has to have won back considerable esteem with his maneuverings since draft day. He has to be the early Executive of the Year favorite, even if Ainge couldn't have pulled off his KG coup unless his buddy McHale was so eager to help the Celtics … er, so hot for Al Jefferson.

Focus all you want on the challenges Boston faces in getting Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce to mesh … or the unproven cast around three guys who didn't even make the playoffs last season … or Ainge and Garnett's inability to convince Reggie Miller to unretire. Just don't forget to applaud the Celts' willingness to commit about $60 million a season on three thirtysomethings at a time when dodging the luxury tax is a primary objective in almost every NBA city.

I've heard and read lots of negativity about how ghastly Ainge's roster looks once you get past the names Garnett, Allen and Pierce. But this is 2007, not 1987. How much do the Celtics really need around their new-age Big Three to win the East? I admire their willingness to gamble and be bold at a time when the conference is so up for grabs.

Trading for Allen and KG in the space of about a month? That makes the Celts clear winners of the offseason in the East, starting with the well-fed GM.

2. Detroit Pistons

The Pistons paid more than they wanted to in re-signing Chauncey Billups for $60 million over five years at nearly 31. They paid more than they wanted to in retaining restricted free agent Amir Johnson, who got a lot of money ($11 million over three years) for someone who has logged a whopping 163 minutes in the NBA.

However …

The view here is that Joe Dumars quietly has changed the dynamic of his team more than people think. It's not the overhaul lots of us were calling for after Detroit flamed out with four straight losses to Cleveland, but Johnson, Stein Line favorite Jason Maxiell and rookie guard Rodney Stuckey form a promising trio of kiddies to mix with the Pistons' veteran mainstays.

Then there's the bonus news that Rasheed Wallace, with his stock dipping perilously close to Portland levels, has dropped 25 pounds after a variety of ankle problems. Doubts remain about 'Sheed and Flip Saunders co-existing for another season, but 'Sheed's serious approach only adds to the sentiment that Detroit might be fresher and deeper than anyone imagined after that meltdown in the East finals.

We'll have to see how much burn guys like Johnson and Stuckey actually get, but could it be that these Pistons are actually extending their shelf life?

It's a possibility raised by folks like the Western Conference executive who told me during summer-league play about the athletic No. 15 overall pick: "You can't say this about a lot of guys here, but I think Stuckey's stuff translates [to the NBA game]."

3. Orlando Magic

They ensured that Dwight Howard will not be leaving Central Florida early like Shaquille O'Neal. They beat out Sacramento for Stan Van Gundy to bail themselves out of the Billy Donovan disaster. They were also the only top-eight team from the East to make a major move, with most of the big action coming from lottery teams: Boston, Charlotte and New York.

Add it all up and the Magic clearly had one of the East's better summers.

Yet you can't help asking one question: Is Rashard Lewis an automatic All-Star in the East?

He obviously should be for almost $120 million, but let's do the math.

Lewis is a big forward who can move and score effortlessly, but he's never been a defensive or rebounding force. If we're adhering to the positions used on last season's All-Star ballot, how does Lewis crack a top five in the East that features LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Jermaine O'Neal and the new Boston tandem of Pierce and Garnett? At best you'd have to put him in the next tier that's headlined by guys like Caron Butler and Luol Deng.

Shouldn't the Magic be getting more for the sums they've invested?

The downside of a nine-figure deal that made nearly every other 2007 summer signing seem miniscule is hearing about that price tag every day for the rest of your life. That goes for Lewis and the Magic, who have lots to do to convince the world that the splashiest move in the free agent season of 2007 was the wisest expenditure.

With memories of Shaq's 1996 departure still so fresh, Orlando clearly felt it had to do something spectacular to convince Howard to make a long-term commitment to stay. The Magic indeed went on to secure Howard's signature on a contract extension and saved themselves on the coaching front with Van Gundy after the coup of swiping Donovan away from Florida backfired, moves that ensured Orlando's placement up here in spite of the Lewis debate.

But that debate will continue indefinitely because the Magic, after all the cash splashed on Lewis, still have some significant roster vacancies after the exits of Darko Milicic and Grant Hill and with a backcourt that remains suspect. For almost $120 million, Lewis will be expected to help Howard and Van Gundy immediately lift the club into the top half of the East, but that's no given.

So the biggest winner from Orlando's busy summer, at this point, has to be Tony Dutt -- the agent who got Lewis that deal.

4. Milwaukee Bucks

Is Mo Williams really a $52 milion player? Was Yi Jianlian worthy of the sixth overall pick in the June draft? You have to believe "yes" to like what Milwaukee did this summer.

Yet you can understand why the Bucks feel victorious no matter what skeptics say. For awhile there, it looked as though they were going to get neither of their top two offseason targets, with Williams threatening to bolt for Miami because the Bucks' initial offer wasn't close to where it ended up ... and with Yi seemingly determined to hold out well into the season in an attempt to force Milwaukee to trade him.

To have secured both signatures by Sept. 1? A dream double for Milwaukee.

Uncertainty will linger about Williams living up to his new contract, about Yi coping with the pressure and expectations his demands and anti-Milwaukee stance created and about how various Bucks (primarily Michael Redd, Charlie Villanueva and Bobby Simmons) rebound from last season's injuries.

The Bucks also have to soothe the anger of Charlie Bell after matching Miami's offer sheet to Bell when the restricted free-agent guard badly wanted to leave. Then there's another little saga to diffuse, with Andrew Bogut coming back to the States after a June newspaper interview in Australia in which he was quoted as saying, "The public's got it right -- a lot of NBA stars are arrogant and like to spend lots of money and have lots of girlfriends and all that."

But the Bucks understandably believe that they can work through a lot of those issues after the scares and turbulence of the offseason. Good health alone should make Milwaukee one of the league's most improved teams.

(I'm told, incidentally, that Bogut has already apologized via phone for his comments to Redd, Williams and Simmons.)

5. New Jersey Nets

The Nets might have trumped Boston for the top spot on this list had they snagged Jermaine O'Neal with an offer headlined by Richard Jefferson and Nenad Krstic. You can make a strong case that the Celtics' new trio wouldn't be the biggest in the East if New Jersey were about to team O'Neal with Jason Kidd and Vince Carter -- especially given how good Kidd looked in Las Vegas with Team USA.

Yet it would be a mistake to suggest that rejection from the Pacers ruined New Jersey's summer. Carter re-signed quickly without even considering other options, Jamaal Magloire is a sensible signing given what he cost, and the widely held suspicion around the league is that the loss of Mikki Moore isn't as damaging as it looks because Moore's breakthrough success last season was so dependent on Kidd.

Getting back among the East's elite likely depends on the state of Krstic's development after missing almost a full season after knee surgery, whether Magloire can supply the frontcourt muscle Krstic doesn't provide, and how Jefferson rebounds from his own health woes and the prospect of being moved.

But there is one other source of hope: New Jersey appears to be on the short list of places O'Neal would like to go if he leaves Indy. So perhaps there's still a chance he winds up a Net.

6. Chicago Bulls

After prying Ben Wallace away from Detroit last summer, this summer always was going to be a lot quieter in Chicago.

The Bulls still did some good business, though, re-signing the handy Andres Nocioni at a less-than-outlandish number ($37.5 million over five years with a team option in 2012-13 for $7.5 million) and adding Joe Smith and rookie Joakim Noah to their frontcourt rotation. Any concerns about Noah's shoulder and fashion sense, furthermore, are offset by the fact that he qualifies as a bit of a steal at No. 9, given his integral role on a Florida team that just won back-to-back NCAA titles.

The good news, then, is that John Paxson still has a decent fistful of assets if he and Scott Skiles ever decide to stray from their ensemble-cast approach to try a more star-based look. The bad news: Garnett is no longer an option after years of KG-to-Chicago scenarios proposed by our venerable columnist colleague Sam Smith, while Memphis is clearly doing everything it can to keep Pau Gasol and keep him happy, as evidenced by the Grizzlies' dogged trade pursuit of Gasol's compatriot Juan Carlos Navarro.

So with its two most natural trade targets suddenly unavailable, what big names are even left to link to the Bulls besides fantasy wish Kobe Bryant?

Follow-up question: How much lower should we drop the Bulls on this list if Luol Deng isn't signed to a contract extension before the Halloween deadline?

7. Washington Wizards

As hot as Spanish hoopsters are these days, there's bound to be some disappointment among Wiz fans that the draft rights to Juan Carlos Navarro were traded to Memphis without one of Europe's best guards ever dribbling a ball in Washington.

But I'd counter that Ernie Grunfeld's personnel record in Washington has earned him the benefit of the doubt. I also doubt that Navarro would have been willing to leave mighty Barcelona to sign a one-year deal with the Wiz for a mere $538,090, as he did in Memphis because the Grizz had no more money left, making it the only way Navarro could have hooked up with his countryman and close friend Pau Gasol..

Grunfeld's other recent gambles in the nation's capital -- namely declining to match big offer sheets to restricted free agents Larry Hughes and Jared Jeffries and replacing them with the likes of Caron Butler and DeShawn Stevenson -- have worked out rather well for the Wiz. So if Grunfeld felt it was wiser to trade Navarro and the complexities involved in buying out his Barcelona deal to Memphis for a future first-round pick, it's difficult to question him.

Grunfeld preferred instead to focus on re-signing Stevenson and Andray Blatche, and secured long-term deals with both that average a reasonable $3 million annually. The Wiz, believe, furthermore, that they'll get some of that long-awaited improvement from their big men this season with a bigger role for Blatche, a full season of 2006 free-agent signee Darius Songaila (who was out until February last season) and spot contributions from 2006 first-round pick Oleksiy Pecherov.

No one's suggesting that the Wiz have nothing to worry about. The mercurial Gilbert Arenas is coming back from a knee injury that knocked him out of the playoffs, so we'll have to see if Gil (a) bounces back as well as he's predictably promising; (b) continues to co-exist peacefully with coach Eddie Jordan and (c) can lead this small, defensively-challenged squad to significant playoff success before he becomes a free agent next summer. Blatche's recent arrest for soliciting an undercover police officer for prostitution, when he was on the verge of signing his new deal, was another alarm bell.

Yet it seems safe to suggest that they haven't set themselves way back by parting with Navarro. The Wiz naturally prefer to focus on the fact that they were actually leading the East halfway through the season and were derailed by the injuries to Butler and Arenas.

8. Toronto Raptors

If you were expecting the Raps to try to do something splashy to make another big move up the East ladder, you were disappointed. Jason Kapono and Carlos Delfino are the only newcomers of note in Canada.

But let's be real. The Raps are ahead of schedule after winning their division in the first full season with Bryan Colangelo in charge. Rushing to change too much, when they're still finding out exactly what they have, wouldn't make sense.

It's better to do what Colangelo did, opting for subtle tweaks and rewarding coach Sam Mitchell with some security while waiting to see how the Chris Bosh/Andrea Bargnani tag team progresses.

If Raps fans want to fret about something, it should be health. Bosh had to leave Team USA with a foot ailment and Jorge Garbajosa came back earlier than he should have from his gruesome leg and ankle injuries so he wouldn't miss playing for Spain when his country played host to the European Championships. Getting a full season out of those two and confirming that neither faces long-term issues is far more important for Toronto's long-term prospects than cracking the 50-win plateau or repeating as Atlantic champs.

9. Charlotte Bobcats

For years I've been quietly urging myself not to be one of those guys who always chides the Bobcats for never spending and then second-guesses them when they finally do spend. Can't help it, though.

Their summer biz raised the strong possibility of improvement but also plenty of questions. If they end up making the playoffs, I had them too low on the list. But I'm far from sold.

Taking on the big Jason Richardson contract could indeed address Charlotte's longstanding need for a dependable go-to scorer, but I will continue to quibble over his go-to status if he continues to shoot below 70 percent from the line. It's happened for four straight seasons, which continually cuts into Richardson's aggressiveness and effectiveness because his free throw and ballhandling issues make him a reluctant driver.

You also can expect folks to keep asking if J-Rich was really the right guy to be the first big-money Bobcat until we know for sure that he can play alongside the versatile Gerald Wallace and sharpshooting Matt Carroll, who also landed nice deals from the Bobs in free agency.

Yet there are even bigger question marks, without even getting to my inevitable curiosity about rookie guard Bobby Brown's chances of making the team in training camp.

In order:

1. Do the big investments in Richardson, Wallace and Carroll mean that Michael Jordan already has given up on his first Charlotte draft pick? His name, if you've forgotten, is Adam Morrison.

2. You can't ignore his injury history, but why has there been so little talk of a contract extension for Emeka Okafor -- only the Bobs' best big man -- if they're suddenly busy locking up core pieces?

3. And most crucially, what if Sam Vincent isn't ready to be a head coach, as some in Dallas suspect?

Jordan choosing a former teammate to replace Bernie Bickerstaff on the bench shocked absolutely no one, just as you couldn't be at all surprised that longtime MJ cronies Rod Higgins and Buzz Peterson landed in Charlotte's front office. But Jordan's choice of Vincent raised multiple eyebrows even in Mavsland, where Vincent just completed his only season as an NBA assistant.

10. New York Knicks

For all my skepticism about Zach Randolph's ability to share space down low with Eddy Curry -- as well as the bigger doubts about Randolph being able to dodge off-court trouble in New York -- it would be pretty cynical to find fault with the acquisition of a proven 20-10 guy who's only 26. Isiah Thomas seemingly ensured high summertime marks when he acquired Randolph on draft day for Steve Francis and Channing Frye, even from serial Isiah bashers.

The problem?

You barely remember that Isiah managed to acquire Randolph at a minimal cost and with a limited cache of tradable assets when Zeke is on trial for sexual harassment. As a sidebar to all the lurid and damaging accusations Isiah is absorbing in a Manhattan courtroom, Stephon Marbury's sanity is being publicly questioned after a string of statements and displays that "could generously be described as odd or goofy or perhaps erratic," in the words of the New York Times' Howard Beck, except that "no one has been that generous."

Throw in the fact that getting to the playoffs in the East should be tougher than it was last season, given the upgrades in Boston and Orlando alone, and there goes any notion of a celebratory offseason.

11. Atlanta Hawks

There's been a rush in some circles to congratulate the Hawks for finally drafting well. I suspect you won't be surprised to hear that I'm not in the same rush.

Al Horford might have been the most coveted commodity in the draft not named Oden or Durant. Acie Law is indeed a well-regarded point guard. Those two alone, though, aren't likely to transform this team into playoff material and certainly won't convince me to absolve the Hawks for passing on Deron Williams and Chris Paul in the 2005 draft -- and then Brandon Roy in '06 -- so they could take Marvin Williams and Shelden Williams, respectively.

It's not like the front-office sins are limited to recent drafts, either. The Hawks had multiple young assets to offer in trades and did bubkes, apparently still paralyzed by the ownership battle between Steve Belkin and his former partners.

Even if Belkin appears to be most responsible for the inactivity -- which suggests things might change someday if his former partners finally can force him out through legal channels -- I can't let go of a story that comes from multiple sources I trust: How the Hawks, reportedly at Belkin's insistence, were going to say no to taking on Amare Stoudemire if a three-way trade on draft day could have been worked out with Phoenix and Minnesota to send Garnett to the Suns and Horford (via the No. 3 overall pick) to the Wolves.

The Suns maintain that they never came close to trading Stoudemire and that all the talks in this case were between the Hawks and Wolves on the assumption that Phoenix would participate. Fine. But let's go ahead and assume for a moment that the Suns were willing.

The Hawks, as the story goes, were still going to end up saying no to trading for Amare. That kills me.

There was enough smoke coming from this trade scenario to convince Joe Johnson to call his former Suns teammate and tell Stoudemire that he hoped to see him in Atlanta. But the Hawks' dysfunctional ownership group, by all accounts, was going to block this deal even if Phoenix wanted it to go through.

Think about that.

12. Cleveland Cavaliers

It would be a mistake to presume that the Cavaliers wanted to follow up their Cinderella trip to the NBA Finals by doing absolutely nothing. They were very close in July to completing a trade that would have netted Mike Bibby and Luis Scola.

The problem? That double score likely would have hiked Cleveland's payroll well past $70 million, which is one big reason that the trade unraveled.

The Cavs, furthermore, face that harsh financial reality and the minimal wiggle room to make improvements for at least one more year, when a handful of contracts (Donyell Marshall, Eric Snow, Damon Jones and Drew Gooden) can be shopped as 2008-09 expiring deals.

Until then? The Cavs can make a risky deal like the aforementioned Bibby scenario and pay a ridiculous luxury-tax bill at the end of the next couple seasons because of their 2005 foibles. Or they can hope, like last season, that the poor return they're getting from their summer of '05 spending spree -- which bestowed lavish contracts upon Larry Hughes, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Marshall and Damon Jones -- can't stop the LeBron James juggernaut from towing this franchise forward.

Cavs personnel chief Danny Ferry has been chasing Bibby hard since the February trading deadline, resulting in the widespread expectation that Bibby will wind up in Cleveland eventually in spite of the costs involved. The immediate consolation for Ferry is that Cleveland apparently has convinced the rest of the league that it will match any offer sheet presented to restricted free agents Anderson Varejao and Sasha Pavlovic, leading to the likelihood that both players will play this season on a one-year tender offer before becoming unrestricted free agents next summer.

13. Philadelphia 76ers

A year ago, Philly was snidely ragged here for its Seinfeldian summer. A summer, in other words, about nothing.

This summer?

More eventful, yes, but only slightly.

The Sixers were hoping that the draft picks they had stockpiled at the heart of their post-Allen Iverson strategy would lead to a significant draft-day trade. But they didn't, forcing Sixers boss Billy King to add two more mid first-rounders -- Thaddeus Young and Jason Smith -- to a roster of role players.

Rebounding machine Reggie Evans was a nice pickup this month and third-year guard Louis Williams showed some summer-league promise, but the Sixers will spend their first full season AAI (After AI) featuring a couple Andres (Iguodala and Miller) and a slew of one-dimensional players (Kyle Korver, Evans and Samuel Dalembert) as opposed to a clear-cut cornerstone or two they can build upon.

Perhaps a couple of these kids -- like, say, Williams -- will develop quickly and give the Sixers more trade options than they have now. Until then, I'm afraid, Philly fans aren't going to see much more than effort and decent chemistry.

14. Indiana Pacers

Their marquee offseason addition is either Travis Diener or Kareem Rush.

Their string of troubles with the law was freshly extended by the arrest of Shawne Williams.

Their plan to wait out the Lakers -- convinced that L.A. would eventually agree to part with Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum in exchange for Jermaine O'Neal -- hasn't brought them any closer to an actual trade after three months of waiting.

So ...

Proud as we were when Indy came to ESPN.com to hire their new coach, we are obliged to point out that Jim O'Brien has walked into a mess. The roster, as currently constituted, will force O'Brien to resurrect the careers of Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy and Jamaal Tinsley if these Pacers hope to do anything this season.

I wouldn't advocate just giving O'Neal away, because he's a proven 20-10 guy and getting better defensively as he gets older. He's become one of the league's foremost interior defensive forces.

But Indy's bloated payroll and resulting lack of flexibility offers little hope for change, with nearly $45 million committed in 2007-08 just to O'Neal and the aforementioned trio (Dunleavy, Murphy and Tinsley) that isn't attracting any trade interest.

So whether it's dealing O'Neal away for the closest thing he can get to an Odom-Bynum type of combo or moving their star for a package of youngsters, draft picks and cap-friendly contracts as Philadelphia (Allen Iverson) and Minnesota (Kevin Garnett) did, what other options does Larry Bird have?

15. Miami Heat

We never expected Pat Riley to emerge from one of his self-imposed summertime exiles to announce that he's suddenly willing to coach for three more seasons. Yet we also never expected to see Riley let Jason Kapono, James Posey and Eddie Jones bolt in free agency . . . and then lose two free-agent faceoffs with those not-so-free spenders from Milwaukee.

None of the above developments is a surprise on par with the (still) stunning news that Shaquille O'Neal and Penny Hardaway are reuniting, but you get the point. This hasn't been the sort of offseason any of us anticipated after the Heat's title defense ended in a first-round sweep by Chicago.

The problem? Although Riley gave himself "an F this summer" during a recent radio appearance in response to the Heat's offseason inactivity, economics -- as with almost every team we're writing about here -- have restricted his ability to make changes.

But Riley must be feeling the pressure from his own grade, because the Heat -- after initially vowing to add to their luxury-tax bill only if it meant signing a free agent of Mo Williams' caliber -- decided to make a run at Bucks teammate Charlie Bell when they couldn't pry Williams away from Milwaukee.

Yet that only set up the Bucks to thwart Riley again and pile onto that F. After bumping its offer to Williams past the 50 million plateau to neuter Miami's richest pitch, Milwaukee matched the 18-plus million offer sheet Bell signed with the Heat as a restricted free agent.

Bell could have only helped so much, but now Riley can't even count on that much, with Hardaway's unlikely comeback at age 36 and a gamble on Lakers castoff Smush Parker headlining the Heat's summer.

Beyond that? Miami has only promised Dorell Wright that he's finally going to get some minutes ... and gotten older.

If form holds, Parker isn't dependable enough to make a major difference and Hardaway's return to Shaq's side is bound to provide more for us media types than for the Heat. Riley, in other words, is depending on Shaq -- and Alonzo Mourning in his farewell campaign -- to get through the season with no major health setbacks, while also praying Dwyane Wade doesn't miss too much of November in his ongoing recovery from shoulder and knee surgery.

Those are the surprises Riley needs to see now.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
This whiny Euro-bitches statement almost makes the GTFOH thread:

Kirilenko Prepared To Walk Away From $63 Million?
September 21, 2007 - 9:06 am
Salt Lake Tribune -
Is Andrei Kirilenko ready to walk away from the Utah Jazz ?

According to the Salt Lake Tribune, Andrei Kirilenko said in an interview with a Russian newspaper published Thursday that he is willing to walk away from the $63 million left on his contract with the Utah Jazz .

"I am prepared to go without it,'' Kirilenko told the Sport Express newspaper. "This is a lot of money, even for an NBA club. So what. Maybe this money could go to pay for more players or for something else.

"I have never been unfair and I don't want to enjoy something that I don't deserve. Big money is obviously good, but I am prepared to make less. The size of my salary doesn't mean that much for me. The main thing is to play with a spark."

The interview is available at www.sport-express.ru and was translated from Russian by a Salt Lake Tribune staff member.

Even Kirilenko admits the chances of voiding the contract are small, and the Jazz expect him to report for training camp by Oct. 1.

It is the second time in three days Kirilenko has voiced his desire to move on, this time saying, "I am ready for anything. I just need to leave Utah Jazz ." He said he is willing to be traded to any team, even one with a lackluster cast of coach and players.

"The only thing I'm not prepared for is if I'm told, 'Andrei, we want you to stay anyway,'" Kirilenko said. "I'm sure then the next season would be a repetition of the previous one, and what will the fans say then? How could you possibly rely on a player who wants to leave?"

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Deron Williams Rips Kirilenko's Work Ethic
September 22, 2007 - 8:58 am
Salt Lake Tribune -
Utah point guard Deron Williams wants Andrei Kirilenko back with the Jazz next season, but hopes his unhappy teammate brings an improved work ethic with him.

In a Friday afternoon radio interview on 1280 The Zone, Williams told Salt Lake Tribune columnist Gordon Monson and co-host Kevin Graham that Kirilenko can be "a special player for us" if he returns with the right attitude.

Referring to teammates Carlos Boozer and Mehmet Okur, Williams said, "You see Booz after practice shooting for 25 or 30 minutes. You see Memo shooting for 20 minutes. You see, you know, all the rookies. The young guys. You saw [Rafael Araujo] in there working. [Then] you see Andrei being the first one out the door."

As the Jazz's quarterback, Williams admitted he has looked for other targets with his passes because of Kirilenko's approach to the game last season.

"If he's coming off a screen on one side and Matt [Harpring] is coming off a screen on one side, who do you think you're going to pass to?" Williams said.

"You think you're going to pass to the guy you see working every day in the gym or are you going to pass to the guy who never works on his shot but yet wants to shoot 'em every time?"

Asked if Kirilenko's work ethic was a problem, Williams said, "I would say so."

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
"If he's coming off a screen on one side and Matt [Harpring] is coming off a screen on one side, who do you think you're going to pass to?" Williams said.

"You think you're going to pass to the guy you see working every day in the gym or are you going to pass to the guy who never works on his shot but yet wants to shoot 'em every time?"

Asked if Kirilenko's work ethic was a problem, Williams said, "I would say so."

:lol:

the jazz might as well trade his ass now. crying, bitch made euros don't respond well to tough-love.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Golden State Signs Troy Hudson
September 24, 2007 - 3:48 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
The Golden State Warriors have signed free agent guard Troy Hudson, it was announced today by Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Mullin. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not announced.

Hudson, 31, appeared in 34 games last season with the Minnesota Timberwolves , averaging 5.9 points and 2.1 assists in 16.3 minutes per game. He scored a season-high 26 points at Boston on March 4, one of three 20-plus point outings (also 22 at Phoenix on January 21, and 20 vs. New Orleans on November 18). Additionally, his three-point field goal percentage (.350) marked the fifth time in the last six seasons in which he shot at least 35% from behind the arch.

“We’re excited to add a player of Troy’s caliber to our team,” said Mullin. “He’s had a productive NBA career and, most importantly, will provide us with additional depth in the backcourt. He has the ability to run a team and some of his other strengths – such as three-point shooting – will fit in well with our style of play.”

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Trio lead our countdown of West's best moves
Stein

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Updated: September 23, 2007

The natural follow-up to our review of Eastern Conference summer business is assessing who's done the best shopping and tweaking in the Western Conference.

The problem?

West teams weren't nearly as active, as the migration of those five 20-point scorers to the East would suggest.

The Houston Rockets made an aggressive clutch of moves to boost their depth and make the Texas Triangle more daunting than ever, but most of the Westerners went for more of a status quo approach.

We nonetheless plug away with our annual team-by-team rankings ... and we repeat: These are assessments of each team's summer dealings, not predicted order of finish for the coming season.

1. Houston Rockets

In their ongoing quest to finally reach the second round of the playoffs, Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming will no longer be lacking assistance. They'll have more help than ever this season.

Daryl Morey's first summer of exclusive authority in the Rockets' front office has resulted in multiple handy pickups to strengthen the supporting cast around T-Mac and Yao for new coach Rick Adelman, quickly hushing concerns that Morey's limited experience and untraditional background made him a risky hire.

The Rockets have three new options at point guard, which is good timing given all the off-court trouble Rafer Alston has encountered lately: First-round pick Aaron Brooks and the reacquired duo of Mike James and Steve Francis.

The Rockets have welcomed back a resurrected Bonzi Wells to possibly (finally) emerge as their new No. 3 scoring option. Wells is eager to stick around after thriving under Adelman in Sacramento and, like Francis, will be playing at a bargain-basement price, taking all the risk out of the second chance he'll get now in Houston after never meshing with Jeff Van Gundy.

The Rockets have also addressed a real need at power forward with the surprise acquisition of Argentina's Luis Scola, capitalizing on the unusual circumstances that made Scola available and believing that the toughness, smoothness and energy he offered in Las Vegas during the recent Olympic qualifying tournament can trump concerns that he's too undersized to succeed inside in the NBA.

It remains to be seen if Yao, even with his passing ability, can transition to Adelman's up-tempo style as easily as Houston projects. But that might be the worst non-Alston-related thing you can say about the Rockets' summer, which is why they top this list.

2. Seattle SuperSonics

Even if it does turn out to be the Supes' last season in Seattle, there's at least one consolation for the locals.

They'll be getting a Rookie of the Year farewell from the green and yellow.

It's only September, yes, but the ROY race would appear to be over. Barring another injury tragedy in the Pacific Northwest, it's hard to see any other rook beating Kevin Durant to the trophy now, as good as he looked during his abbreviated Team USA stint and with his chief ROY rival (Greg Oden) already out of the race.

It's likewise tough to imagine a franchise happier to come out of the draft lottery with the No. 2 pick. Months of murmurs that Durant was a more worthy No. 1 overall selection than Oden are predictably louder than ever now. Even if such talk is (bad pun alert) a predictable knee-jerk reaction to Oden's demise, it's safe to say that having Durant under any circumstances sets the Sonics up nicely. Wherever they are in future seasons.

Rookie general manager Sam Presti, incidentally, isn't off to a bad start, either.

Presti got an intriguing package back for Ray Allen by landing Delonte West, Wally Szczerbiak and the No. 5 pick that became Jeff Green -- I say so even though I'm not a huge Green guy -- and then took in a seemingly worthless second-round pick from Orlando to create a lucrative trade exception after Rashard Lewis had already committed to signing with the Magic. That enabled Presti to exploit the Suns' desperation to slash payroll by agreeing to take Kurt Thomas into that trade exception ... but only if he also got two first-round picks in the exchange.

The Sonics' presumed lame-duck status in the Emerald City is another unexpected bonus for Presti and new coach P.J. Carlesimo. Durant's young team is going to struggle mightily in Year 1, but there's no real public pressure on the Sonics to get off to a gonzo start. They can focus on player development as opposed to the standings without alienating their fans, since those fans, frankly, have already been alienated by new Sonics owner Clay Bennett.

3. Memphis Grizzlies

A year ago, you'll recall, what happened to the Grizzlies in the summertime ended their season before it started, with Pau Gasol suffering a foot injury that wound up sidelining him until December.

This summer?

Only a small handful of teams had a more fruitful offseason than the Grizz, whose new brain trust (general manager Chris Wallace and coach Marc Iavaroni) has already generated some new hope after drafting Mike Conley, signing Darko Milicic and trading for Gasol's close friend Juan Carlos Navarro.

All three might even help the Grizz immediately, although it's worth remembering that Conley is a rookie and that we're still waiting to see sustained production (and intensity) from Milicic after four seasons. Navarro's arrival, though, is significant not only for his on-court potential as one of Europe's best guards but what it means for Gasol's future.

After a year of unending trade speculation and Gasol's own push to be moved, Memphis has moved decisively to show the Spaniard that (a) it wants to keep him and (b) wants to keep him happy. You have to believe that the feeling is mutual after the Grizzlies landed one of Pau's all-time favorites.

Throw in a Team USA summer for Mike Miller, another year of experience for Rudy Gay and Memphis' ability to secure Iavaroni's coveted services and you'd have to say that the post-Jerry West Era is off to the upbeat start few anticipated.

4. Golden State Warriors

After some three months of haggling over money and with a mere three weeks to spare before the start of training camp, the Warriors finally secured an official commitment from coach/savior Don Nelson that he's going to keep coaching them.

It sounds like a long (and nervous) wait, but the Warriors say now -- and you tend to believe them -- that they were never too worried about the standoff. Nelson behaved all summer like a coach who was coming back, spending more time around Golden State's summer-league team than he ever did in Dallas along with making frequent office appearances. He simply couldn't bear to walk away after last season's ride, even though Nelson managed to score only half of the extra $4 million in guaranteed money he was seeking over the next two seasons as a reward for halting the Warriors' 12-season playoff drought.

Perhaps we should call it a sign of how hot the Warriors still are. They were widely hailed as winners in a contract squabble with Nelson -- even Nellie conceded he blinked first, which hasn't happened too often over the years -- to cap what ranks as a pretty sunny summer by the standards of the West.

It would be a surprise if rookie Brandan Wright or Serbian import Kosta Perovic could immediately supply the size injection Nelson needs, but the Warriors do appear to have drafted a first-round steal in No. 18 pick Marco Belinelli while also re-signing unheralded playoff contributor Matt Barnes at a bargain rate. Best of all, Golden State improved its future financial flexibility tremendously by trading away Jason Richardson and buying out Adonal Foyle at a savings of about $7 million.

Richardson will be missed by the Warriors' rabid fans after their six seasons together, but club insiders insist that Nelson was never a big J-Rich guy. Between Monta Ellis, Belinelli, Barnes and free-agent returnee Kelenna Azubuike, Nelson figures Richardson's production should be covered. Of greater significance, Golden State should find re-signing Ellis and Andris Biedrins to contract extensions much easier now that Richardson is off the books.

Baron Davis didn't get the extension he was seeking -- at least not yet -- but Davis and Nelson badly want to keep working together. So it becomes an issue only if negotiations drag and Davis' (or Nelson's) contract frustration turns into something bigger.

The only other outstanding issue -- after buying out Sarunas Jasikevicius -- is whether restricted free agent Mickael Pietrus will be forced to return on a one-year, $3.5 million deal much like Barnes did.

5. Phoenix Suns

Does adding Grant Hill -- but subtracting Kurt Thomas -- really get the Suns closer to a championship?

At first glance, it's hard to see how. Hill could certainly ease some of the ballhandling burden Steve Nash carries over 82 games and Nash has stated repeatedly how thrilled he is to add Hill's veteran savvy and professional locker-room manner to a group that's occasionally fractious and younger than you think. But Hill is not an adept 3-point shooter, which is the shot that most often presents itself to Phoenix perimeter types. And even if Hill, at 35, defies recent history by staying healthy, he obviously can't defend in the post like Thomas, either. An interested observer named David Robinson, remember, said after the epic Spurs-Suns series that Thomas guarded Tim Duncan one-on-one as well as anyone ever has.

That said ...

Beating out competitors like San Antonio and Dallas to score Hill was about as close to a blockbuster free-agent signing as we saw in the West, which has to count here.

Plus Phoenix had trouble slowing Duncan even with Thomas playing so valiantly. With the Suns still convinced that those infamous leaving-the-bench suspensions from the league office beat them as much as the eventual champs did, they justifiably feel as though they're closer to the Spurs than anyone else.

So perhaps the Suns won't be badly hurt by a luxury-tax induced move they didn't want to make, shipping Thomas and two first-round picks to Seattle to shed Thomas' $8.1 million salary. Maybe they'll flourish playing even smaller lineups than usual, with Amare Stoudemire or Boris Diaw at center. They're depending on Stoudemire to mature as a defender and rebounder and will need an upbeat and plugged-in Shawn Marion to make everyone forget that they couldn't conceive a workable trade for Nash's buddy Kevin Garnett, but coach Mike D'Antoni is already vowing that Phoenix will play with even more of "a swashbuckling attitude" than they've had for the past three years.

Of course, if P.J. Brown doesn't sign with the Suns as Thomas' replacement, they won't have much choice.

6. San Antonio Spurs

Maybe you expected the Spurs to do more this offseason, given that they've failed in their previous three attempts to follow up a championship by winning another championship.

But take a look at the rest of the conference. Which new threats do they need to counter?

As we keep noting, not much happened in the West to threaten San Antonio's leadership position. I'd say the Spurs, as the only Western Conference team since 1996 to win a title besides the Shaq-and-Kobe Lakers, are in the best position to defend a status quo strategy.

Among playoff teams, only Houston has made significant improvements to its roster -- one of them courtesy of the reluctant Spurs, who grudgingly agreed to trade Scola to the Rockets as a cost-cutting measure -- but it's a bit premature to list the Rockets as a threat to the defending champs in spite of their recent upgrades. Yao and T-Mac, as mentioned previously, have yet to win a single playoff series together.

And it's not like the Spurs were inert. They brought back the key free agents from their latest title team (Fabricio Oberto, Matt Bonner and Jacque Vaughn), convinced Robert Horry to play one more season, signed free-agent swingman Ime Udoka to serve as Bruce Bowen's understudy and finally summoned 2005 first-round pick Ian Mahinmi to the States.

Trading for an injection of youth has to be their next move, but I'm not sure who they should and/or could have added but didn't.

7. Portland Trail Blazers

LaRue Martin. Bill Walton. Sam Bowie. And now Greg Oden.

Bad things have happened to every Portland big man taken in the upper reaches of the NBA draft, so the question is going to be asked louder than ever: Is this franchise cursed?

"I've never been one to believe in voodoo and superstitions and things of that nature," Bowie told ESPN.com last week. "But if you look back on the history of the franchise, you start to wonder. This one might convert me."

This one is the news that Oden's rookie season is over three weeks before his first NBA training camp, thanks to the unhappy surprise of microfracture surgery on Oden's right knee. Portlanders who were justifiably delirious in May when their team won the lottery and the right to choose between Oden and Kevin Durant are already wondering where the euphoria went.

The mood is possibly gloomier than it should be given the long-term promise Portland still possesses. The Blazers had another busy summer (acquiring Channing Frye, Steve Blake, James Jones) to only add to their deep cache of young talent. So one more trip to the lottery -- seen as a certainty now with Oden unavailable and Zach Randolph and Jamaal Magloire having departed -- should only add to a list of prized kiddies that includes Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Spanish duo Sergio Rodriguez and Rudy Fernandez and "veterans" Jarrett Jack, Travis Outlaw and Martell Webster. Just to name seven.

Yet you have to underline the word possibly until we know more about Oden's recovery. If he rebounds like Amare Stoudemire, this won't be more than a 12-18 month setback for a team that, unlike Phoenix, wasn't going to be contending for anything significant in that time frame. But what if it's the first real setback to back up the whispers that Oden has a body susceptible to breakdowns ... like Bowie and Walton before him?

See? Now you know why I wrestled with this one for a while. Oden's surgery is a basketball tragedy for now, but I don't know that even losing him so soon can drop the Blazers lower than seventh when (a) so many West teams stood pat and (b) when you remember they're still the winners in one of the three or four most anticipated lotteries of all time.

8. New Orleans Hornets

It was only a year ago that we were raving about the Greatest Hornets Summer Ever and owner George Shinn's uncharacteristic spending spree. This summer, sadly, looked and sounded like a lot of the quiet summers that proceeded the 2006 offseason.

The Hornets simply didn't do much in advance of their full-time return to New Orleans. They brought back Jannero Pargo and signed Morris Peterson and Melvin Ely, who join first-round pick Julian Wright as the most notable newcomers. But that's it.

Of course, it should be noted that Shinn got only 13 games out of Peja Stojakovic last season after consenting to pay Peja a very un-Shinn-like $63 million over six years. Scary as the severity of the injury sounds, Peja will undoubtedly be regarded (at least by Shinn) as the Hornets' big 2007 signing if the Serbian sharpshooter comes back as projected from back surgery.

The Hornets contend that they've assembled a core to build around in Chris Paul, Tyson Chandler, David West and Stojakovic and that they'll benefit from playing in only one city for the first time in three seasons, even though they'll no longer have the support of those loud crowds in Oklahoma City.

If Paul joins Peja by returning problem-free from his foot surgery -- and if Chandler continues the development he showed with Team USA over the summer -- maybe they're right. Maybe we'll see the Hornets bring at least one round of NBA playoff basketball back to New Orleans.

You'll notice, however, that's a lot of ifs.

9. Sacramento Kings

There's a new coach in Sactown. There's a new franchise cornerstone. There's even a potential new building site for a new arena.

But I'm guessing Kings fans, who for much of this new millennium have been regarded as the league's loudest, are struggling to muster much enthusiasm. Can't blame them, either.

Maybe new coach Reggie Theus proves to be the right replacement for Eric Musselman and gets a re-energized response from a group that never responded to Muss. Maybe Kevin Martin's $50 million contract extension winds up as a bargain if he keeps developing. Maybe even the proposed construction of a new home for the team at Cal Expo will be the plan that ensures the Kings' long-term existence in Sacramento.

But look at the rest of the Kings' roster. Does anyone but Martin offer much long-term hope?

Even if Ron Artest suddenly turns dependable in his contract year after a summer of contrition and charity work, he's headed for free agency at season's end and realistically will always make folks wonder how long the calm is going to last. Mike Bibby's future, meanwhile, certainly seems to be elsewhere after a season of struggle and two near-trades to Cleveland.

Pretty much anyone else you name looks like a rotation player at best, whether it's newly signed Mikki Moore, combo guard John Salmons or Francisco Garcia, whom Theus loved at Louisville. The Kings obviously believe that rookie center Spencer Hawes will defy the skeptics and exceed expectations ... and they need him to, with big men Brad Miller, Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Kenny Thomas all on the decline.

One theory holds that Kings president Geoff Petrie still hopes to move Bibby in the near future to see if Artest fares better without him. Yet it should be pretty clear by now that this team -- nearly three years removed from trading away Chris Webber to start the rebuilding process -- remains more than one move away from regaining its place among the West elite. Sacramento's turn-of-the-century rise from perennial doormat to title contender earned Petrie a well-deserved rep as one of the league's best architects, but rebuilding this castle with the limited assets in his possession has already proven to be much tougher.

10. Utah Jazz

You wanted to see Utah build on its unexpected drive to the Western Conference finals by addressing its sizable hole at shooting guard. You wanted to see the Jazz sign a bigger name than Jason Hart or Ronnie Price, especially after they agreed to let Derek Fisher out of his contract.

You definitely didn't want to see the Jazz start the new season like they finished last season. Engulfed in a bit of turmoil, namely.

But that's exactly where they are.

Utah predictably refused to extend itself financially -- management contends that it did years' worth of splashy spending when it assembled the Carlos Boozer-Mehmet Okur-Andrei Kirilenko frontcourt -- to render Jerry Sloan's commitment to return for a 20th season on the Jazz bench as the personnel news of note.

The problem? Kirilenko has gone public with a wish to be traded that he says he registered with Jazz management even before Russia's unexpected triumph in the European Championships. Yet that push and the tension it has caused is getting increasingly louder, resuscitating some of the disharmony seen at the end of the Western Conference finals when Deron Williams and Boozer accused a few unnamed teammates of quitting on the season early.

A summer of non-spending can be rationalized. Utah could have outbid New Orleans for Morris Peterson to be its new shooting guard but weren't willing to offer more than a three-year deal ... which is a mistake only if Peterson would have helped the Jazz close the gap on San Antonio.

Don't forget, furthermore, that Utah is obviously saving for the next big splash it has to make, when franchise cornerstone Williams is eligible for a lucrative contract extension next summer that will likely drag the club into luxury-tax territory.

Kirilenko's rekindled discontent is another matter entirely and that's what dropped the Jazz into the bottom half here. That's what everyone will be talking about when camp opens, as opposed to jumping right back in and building on the happier memories of last spring's Cinderella run to the Final Four.

11. Dallas Mavericks

Dirk Nowitzki obviously doesn't agree with my theory that his team needed some sort of roster shakeup because the last two playoff endings in Mavs land inflicted long-lasting psychological scars that won't simply be forgotten.

But I'm sticking with the theory.

I needed to see more than the re-signing of Jerry Stackhouse, Devin Harris' contract extension and the addition of Eddie Jones -- which I do like, by the way, since Jones still plays enough defense to win over Avery Johnson but can also make 3s -- to believe that the Mavs can recover emotionally from their back-to-back postseason unravelings.

Problem is, they never had the trade assets to come close to Boston in the Garnett hunt and owner Mark Cuban was unwilling to trade Josh Howard or Harris unless it could bring back KG or Kobe Bryant. With little to no interest in what the Mavs did make available, that led to the stance Nowitzki shared earlier this month by saying, "We had trouble with one team, not 29. We still have a good team. I don't think it's time to panic because we had trouble with one team [Golden State] over three years."

The Mavs remain interested in signing P.J. Brown or Webber at a minimum rate, but there continues to be no indication that a decision is coming soon from either vet.

Yet even if the Mavs bring in Brown or Webber, new assistant coach Paul Westphal might be the most important newcomer in the organization. Dallas' offense stagnated badly as the season deepened and offered nothing in the way of imaginative counters to the defensive swarm former Mavs coach Don Nelson unleashed on Nowitzki in the first round.

It'll be interesting to see if Westphal can bring some creativity and movement back to the Mavs' attack ... and how much influence Johnson will actually let Westy have.

12. Denver Nuggets

The team that made last season's most monumental trade acquisition didn't exactly follow up on that instinct in the offseason. Yet you can probably guess why.

Yup. Luxury tax.

Allen Iverson will earn just over $19 million in his first full season as a Nugget, with four more teammates -- Carmelo Anthony, Kenyon Martin, Nene and Marcus Camby -- earning between $8.8 and $13.25 million. As a result, Denver has the league's third-highest payroll at nearly $80 million, making every new expenditure a significant one.

Improvements will thus have to come from within. The only roster tweaks Denver made were minor, signing point guard Chucky Atkins after letting Steve Blake go and swapping Reggie Evans for Steven Hunter in another Nuggets/76ers collaboration that saved some $8 million in long-term salary obligations and established Hunter as Camby's new backup.

To make any sort of jump in the conference, Denver is banking on the idea that Iverson and Anthony will play better as a tandem after starting the season together with a full training camp.

The Nuggets will also be praying that Kenyon Martin can give them something as he attempts to be the first player in league history to successfully come back from microfracture surgery on both knees. It would be a fairy tale that theoretically makes a huge difference in the Nuggets' fortunes, given the fact that Martin at his peak would have been a good fit alongside A.I. and Melo since he didn't need the ball to be effective. The Nuggets have to know, though, that Martin realistically might need the whole season just to get some confidence in his body again after two anguished years.

13. Los Angeles Lakers

The good news: One team insider insists that Phil Jackson is leaning toward signing an extension that will keep him on the Lakers' bench for two more seasons after this one, despite Jackson's recent announcement that the 2007-08 campaign "could well be my last year of coaching."

The bad news: Jackson also announced during a recent radio interview that he, like Kobe Bryant, was still waiting for the "big changes" on the roster promised by Lakers vice president Jim Buss, heaping more pressure on the Lakers to do something drastic tradewise.

Cosmetic is the more appropriate word for what we've seen from the Lakers so far, with L.A. unable to come close in the KG Sweepstakes and unwilling to part with Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum in a trade for Jermaine O'Neal.

The Lakers brought back Derek Fisher unexpectedly after Fisher asked the Utah Jazz to be released from his contract so he could move to a larger city with a treatment center for his infant daughter's rare form of eye cancer. And they re-signed Luke Walton and Chris Mihm, after Walton at times looked like the Lakers' third-best player and after Mihm missed the entire season following ankle surgery.

None of that, though, adds up to "big changes."

We'd naturally love to tell you what Bryant thinks of those moves, but he's refusing to discuss the Lakers after bashing management relentlessly in May and June. Yet his silence more than implies that he hasn't withdrawn his trade request, backing up the theory that he still wants to be sent to one of the three teams he pushed for months ago: Chicago, Phoenix or Dallas. The theory also holds that Bryant is opting for silence now merely to avoid further damage to his image, knowing that more complaining is futile because the Lakers won't even consider trading him.

In the summer of 2008, when Bryant is only a year away from free agency, he'll have a lot more leverage to try to force his way out if he wishes. In the summer of 2007, Lakers fans could only brace for the fall of 2007 and what might happen when the Lakers and their seething star open training camp in Hawaii (after media day in L.A.).

There normally wouldn't be much camp intrigue surrounding a 42-win team that didn't change a whole lot. Of course, when it comes to Kobe and the Lakers, what's normal?

14. Los Angeles Clippers

It's gruesome enough when Elton Brand, one of the league's finest citizens, suffers a severe injury in July that historically sidelines NBA players for a full year.

But now Brand and the Clips won't even get their deserved share of sympathy for EB's torn Achilles' tendon. Not after what happened to Oden, whose own season-ending nightmare has shoved the fallen Brand into the background. Ouch.

One of the sadder bits here is that, with a healthy Brand to anchor everything, you'd have probably found the Clippers' additions somewhat intriguing after their failure to make it two straight trips to the playoffs last season. Now? Brevin Knight, Ruben Patterson and first-round pick Al Thornton can't even come close to offsetting what the Clips expected to get from Brand and the still-sidelined Shaun Livingston.

The Clippers continue to maintain the in-house belief that Brand can be back in about six months. Yet even if he defies history to return in February or March, what will he be coming back to?

Follow-up question: How soon before our man Sam Cassell, soon to be 39, realizes that he should push for a buyout so he can make one more playoff run with a needy contender like Dallas or Boston?

15. Minnesota Timberwolves

I think I've made my views on the Wolves fairly clear by now. But to recap quickly from the adjacent click:

1. They waited at least a year too long to trade Kevin Garnett.

2. Owner Glen Taylor should have used his considerable financial might to clean house two or three years ago and then go outside the Wolves' sphere to find a new front-office chief from a successful franchise, long before the Wolves wound up in a crisis summer like this one.

3. When they finally did trade KG, they got back five players and two future first-round picks ... but only one out of the seven players (Al Jefferson) would automatically command minutes with a quality team. The rest are all maybes.

All of which should clear up any mystery about why I have the Wolves down here.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Reality or fantasy? Matrix wouldn't mind joining Kobe
Adande

By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com

Updated: September 22, 2007

Shawn Marion was bringing the good news. If you're a Lakers fan.

"I'm definitely interested in the Lakers," the Phoenix Suns forward said.

More than that, he said he talked to Kobe Bryant, and Bryant "embraced it."

Said Marion: "He wants to make it happen."

If Bryant cares about what trades the Lakers make and thinks adding Marion would help, at least it's an indication that he's thinking about the Lakers as "we" not "them."

Still, it's hard to miss the irony of Marion's wanting to fulfill his desire to be traded by joining a guy who kicked off this summer's stream of trade wishes. Bryant's radiothon at the end of May started a trend followed by Jermaine O'Neal, Andrei Kirilenko and now Marion.

"My name has been mentioned in trades over and over," Marion said. "I'm tired of hearing about it. It's time for me to take the next step and leave.

"It's like a bad marriage. It's time to get up. I love my fans, I love the city, I love my teammates. I just think it's time for me to leave."

The simplest way for him to get to Los Angeles would be for the Lakers to send Lamar Odom to Phoenix. Their salaries are close enough (Marion is making $16 million this season, Odom $13 million) and the cost-conscious Suns would shave $3 million off their payroll.

Of course, no trade in the NBA is ever easy. Odom needs to show that he has recovered from offseason shoulder surgery; it's the second time his shoulder has been operated on in two years. And no team likes to trade a key player within its division. (Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, not talking about any specific moves, told Los Angeles radio station KLAC on Monday that the Lakers would not make a trade before training camp starts next week).

The Suns have said they wanted to keep their core intact -- and included Marion on that list, along with Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire. They took a step backward competitively when they traded big man Kurt Thomas this summer to shave his $8 million salary, but said that would let them keep their big guns. But they also contemplated breaking up the nucleus, whether by trading for Kevin Garnett or sending Marion to the Boston Celtics.

Owner Robert Sarver has long been wary of going over the luxury tax threshold, which is why Marion -- the highest-paid player on the team -- has spent more time on the trading block than the negotiating table, his desire for a contract extension (at a reported $60 million for three years) not being met. So if the Suns don't want to keep him around, he doesn't want to stay around.

"They're not talking extension," Marion said. "It's not even relevant to even talk about. All the stuff that's going on, nobody's doing what they're supposed to do. I could tell you a thousand things, but for what? People are going to say what they say, do what they do. It's run its course."

In an ideal world this would be only about winning. Marion would want to stay with a team that won 177 games and made two trips to the conference finals the past three seasons. And the Suns would want to keep an integral, often-overlooked player who helped make it happen.

But this is about business. Sarver has the right to look after his business interests. But his team is a collection of small business owners themselves, including Marion Inc., Nash Enterprises and Stoudemire LLP. And they have only a limited time to maximize their profits. The downside of the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, with its salary cap and luxury tax, is that it pits all of these businesses against each other when they should really be on the same team.

So would $20 million a season for Marion be a good investment? Well, Stephon Marbury will make $20 million this season. And who signed Marbury to that contract extension that will bring another $21.9 million in 2008-09? Why, the Phoenix Suns. But that was four years ago, when the Colangelos were running things. And that's the Knicks' problem now, thanks to a January 2004 trade.

Marion sometimes went overlooked in the Suns' dazzling display. Nash has been the centerpiece in their broadband offense, with two MVP trophies to show for it. Stoudemire made first-team all-NBA last season. But two of the most memorable Suns plays over the past two seasons involved Marion, and you probably don't even know it. He grabbed the offensive rebound that led to Tim Thomas' shot that let the Suns pull out Game 6 against the Lakers in the 2006 playoffs. And he chased down the offensive rebound and set up Nash for a 3-pointer in the Suns' big regular-season statement game against Dallas last March.

Marion has hit some 3-pointers here, thrown down some dunks there, and played defense everywhere, guarding point guards to post men. Sometimes he feels unappreciated, but he said, "I do get love."

He sure gets computer love. This past season, the folks at 82games.com created a formula to determine the defensive player of the year, crunched the numbers and came up with Marion.

Four years ago I had the No. 1 pick in an online fantasy hoops draft and was all set to take Garnett (in what turned out to be his MVP season). But I couldn't get logged in and the computer selected for me. It picked Shawn Marion.

He does a little bit of everything. The knock has been he's never been the master of one thing, the franchise guy. If he joined the Lakers, he wouldn't have to be. Marion knows Bryant still would be the guy taking the bulk of his shots. Marion could wait in the corner and throw up that funny-looking jumper when Bryant found the middle too clogged. He would upgrade the Lakers' athleticism quotient and help them defensively.

It's easy to see how this could help the Lakers, especially if it was enough to mollify Bryant. It wouldn't make as much sense for the Suns, unless they decided that having an unhappy Marion would be detrimental to the team chemistry, counterproductive … and thus bad for business.

J.A. Adande joined ESPN.com as an NBA columnist in August 2007 after 10 years with the Los Angeles Times. Click here to e-mail J.A.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Marion: 'Time for me to move on'

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 25, 2007 09:30 PM
Shawn Marion trade talk is one thing. A Marion trade request is quite another.

Marion is fed up with another summer of the Suns considering to trade him. Marion is irked that the team is not willing to talk about a contract extension. After eight years in Phoenix, Marion wants to leave the Suns and has let the team know in recent weeks.

"I'm tired of hearing my name in trades," Marion said by phone from his Chicago home Tuesday night. "I love my fans in Phoenix but I think it's time for me to move on."

Marion, the highest paid Suns player, has two years remaining on his maximum-level contract - $16.4 million for this year and a $17.8 million salary if he did not opt out before the 2008-09 season. He said the Suns' unwillingness to extend his deal is "only a part of why" he wants to leave but would not confirm that he has asked for a three-year, $60 million extension, saying, "The numbers aren't important."

Suns General Manager Steve Kerr declined comment.

There are two known trade suitors in the Utah Jazz (for Andrei Kirilenko, if not others) and the Los Angeles Lakers (for Lamar Odom and a teammate), with Marion showing an interest in the latter because of a friendship with Kobe Bryant.

"Regardless of everything that went on with the extension, I'm tired of hearing my name in trade rumors," Marion said. "It's time for me to move on. I felt like they tried to force my hand to Boston with the (Kevin) Garnett stuff."

In June, there was the possibility of a three-way trade sending Garnett to Phoenix, a Boston pick package going to Minnesota and Marion to Boston with a contract extension but the Marion camp killed it.

"I haven't done anything wrong," said Marion, a four-time All-Star. "I leave it on the floor night in and night out. Sometimes, it's just time, and it's time to go. "It's been like a nightmare. It hurts me making this phone call. It's hurting me in my stomach."

Marion said he has no problem with any of his teammates but did not want to comment on the Suns staffers, saying, "It's just a bad marriage. I'm not talking about anyone. It's just time for me to go."

He said he has talked to Kerr, Coach Mike D'Antoni and Managing Partner Robert Sarver.

There is a strong possibility that no trade occurs this week and Marion is asked to come to work Monday, the mandatory reporting date, and join the quest for a championship.

"I'll do what I've got to do," Marion said, noting he would show up no sooner than required. "I'm a professional. I'm not bitter. I love the fans but I've got to take care of me."

With Boris Diaw expected to be in today, each Suns player but Marion will be in Phoenix this week for the voluntary workouts. Some, like Grant Hill, Steve Nash and Amaré Stoudemire, have been coming into the arena for weeks.

Marion, 29, pulled himself off the USA Basketball roster for a second straight summer this year. He cited the plantar fasciitis in his left foot ("I played all season with that," Marion said Tuesday) in early July, when talk of his dissatisfaction with the lack of extension talks began to surface.

In Kirilenko and Odom, the Suns are looking at versatile forwards with different skill sets and financial factors.

Kirilenko, who is even more disgruntled with Utah this summer, is a former All-Star coming off a career-worst season, but is a great defender with a knack for shot-blocking. He does not shoot well from the perimeter but is a crafty scorer inside at 6 feet 9 and can run the floor. Kirilenko, 26, is due $63 million over the next four years. That would give Phoenix some instant relief but create later payroll issues.

Odom, who is 6-10 and 27 years old, is a superb passer and good shooter who can play various positions but has been inconsistent, depending on how assertive he plays. Odom has two years remaining on his deal at $13.2 million this season and $14.1 million in 2008-09.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
The Marion trade request intrigues me...so let's see what scenarios will work.

We'll start with New York. They have to trim their roster down and they have some tradable players.

New York Trades:
Mardy Collins
6-6 SG from Temple
4.5 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.6 apg in 15.1 minutes
Malik Rose
6-7 PF from Drexel
3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.0 apg in 12.4 minutes
Quentin Richardson
6-6 SG from DePaul
13.0 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.2 apg in 33.1 minutes

Phoenix Trades:
Shawn Marion
6-7 PF from UNLV
17.5 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 1.7 apg in 37.6 minutes

Successful Trade Scenario

Change in Team Outlook: +3.0 ppg, +2.1 rpg, and +3.1 apg.
Congratulations on a successful trade.

Due to Phoenix and New York being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Phoenix and New York had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID #4222818

Last edited:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
New York Trades
David Lee
6-9 SF from Florida
10.7 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 1.8 apg in 29.8 minutes
Malik Rose
6-7 PF from Drexel
Jamal Crawford
6-5 SG from Michigan
17.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 4.4 apg in 37.3 minutes

Phoenix Trades
Shawn Marion
6-7 PF from UNLV

Change in Team Outlook: +13.8 ppg, +6.5 rpg, and +5.5 apg.

Due to Phoenix and New York being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Phoenix and New York had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID #4222831

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
New York Trades
Change in Team Outlook: +3.4 ppg, +4.4 rpg, and +2.2 apg.
Incoming Players
Renaldo Balkman
6-7 SF from South Carolina
4.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 15.7 minutes
Malik Rose
6-7 PF from Drexel
Quentin Richardson
6-6 SG from DePaul
13.0 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.2 apg in 33.1 minutes

Phoenix Trades
Shawn Marion
6-7 PF from UNLV

Trade ID #4222841

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
PhoenixTrades
Shawn Marion
6-7 PF from UNLV

Cleveland Trades
Drew Gooden
6-9 PF from Kansas
11.1 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 28.0 minutes
Eric Snow
6-3 PG from Michigan State
4.2 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 4.0 apg in 23.5 minutes

Change in Team Outlook: -2.2 ppg, +1.0 rpg, and +3.4 apg.

Due to Phoenix and Cleveland being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Phoenix and Cleveland had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Trade ID
Trade ID #4222867

Last edited:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Los Angeles Clippers Trade
Shaun Livingston
6-7 PG from Peoria Central (HS)
9.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.1 apg in 29.9 minutes
Tim Thomas
6-10 SF from Villanova
11.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.3 apg in 27.0 minutes
Cuttino Mobley
6-4 SG from Rhode Island
13.8 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.5 apg in 36.4 minutes

Phoenix Trades
Shawn Marion
6-7 PF from UNLV

Change in Team Outlook: +16.6 ppg, +2.0 rpg, and +8.2 apg.

Due to Phoenix and L.A. Clippers being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Phoenix and L.A. Clippers had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Trade ID
Trade ID #4222874

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Webber has offer from Olympiacos of Greece

By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
Chris Webber has a multi-million dollar contract offer on the table from Olympiacos of Greece, and he plans to decide by this weekend whether to accept it or wait on the sidelines for another chance at playing in the NBA.Two sources familiar with the offer told ESPN.com that Olympiacos was offering a two-year deal that would net Webber between $10 million and $12 million, which would make him the highest-paid American player in Europe.Webber has said he is leaning toward returning to the Detroit Pistons, although signing Webber prior to training camp, even for the veterans' minimum, would have cap ramifications that the Pistons want to avoid. Webber is said to be comfortable with the idea of waiting at least a month or two for the Pistons' roster issues to work themselves out, which would allow him to join them in midseason as he did in 2005-06.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
T-Wolves And Mavs Swap Guards
September 29, 2007 - 1:14 am
AP -
The Timberwolves traded guard Trenton Hassell to the Mavericks for guard Greg Buckner on Friday night.

Hassell, who spent the last four seasons with the Wolves, averaged 6.7 points per game and three rebounds in 476 games. In 2006-07, he played in 76 games and averaged 6.7 points and 3.2 rebounds.

Buckner is an eight-year NBA veteran with career averages of 5.5 points and 2.9 rebounds, including two stints with Dallas along with stops in Philadelphia and Denver. Last season, Buckner averaged four points while grabbing 2.1 rebounds.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
New-look Celtics aren't (just) 'The Big Three'
Hollinger

By John Hollinger
ESPN Insider

Updated: September 28, 2007, 9:23 PM ET

WALTHAM, Mass. -- First things first: Let's get this nickname thing straightened out.

Call Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen what you will, but don't call them "The Big Three."

"Honestly, I don't like that," Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers said at the team's media day on Friday. "Because [Kevin] McHale, [Robert] Parish and [Larry] Bird were 'The Big Three.' So come up with another one."

Point taken. Celtics fans will have to create a different moniker for Boston's All-Star trio -- negotiations for use of "The Triplets" are underway in Irving, Texas as we speak -- and quick. Because with excitement for the coming season at a fever pitch, these three players are going to be a major story all season.

The Nicknameless Three are all smiles so far.

And truly, it's a trio of equals -- one that intends to share the credit equally. They took the podium together, and each tiptoed carefully around the "Who gets the rock at the end of the game?" questions while effusing over the prospect of playing with each other.

Garnett, the most intense of the three, also seemed the most excited about the change of scenery after his offseason liberation from Minnesota. He noted that the best part about coming to Boston was "these two guys beside me" and said seeing the Celtics' championship banners immediately got him excited.

"It's the first thing that catches your eye when you come in here," he said, and though they hang in a modern building in an outlying suburb, they're the originals, right down to the multiple stains on the '68 banner.

As for the last shot question, that will linger until the real games start. But Rivers, the man assigned the task of getting the three All-Stars their touches, thinks the roles will work themselves out.

"Kevin will be the easiest to fit in because of the way he plays, from the elbow and the post, and because he's such a great passer," said Rivers. "Paul and Ray will be [the harder] part of working to make it fit. But clearly they're a 2 and a 3, so there's a separation."

Rivers also pointed out that no matter who he calls a play for in the end-game, he's guaranteed to get single coverage because of the threat of the other two on the floor, a luxury he hasn't had the past couple years with a Pierce-centric offense.

However, maybe our focus on Boston's Nicknameless Three is too narrow. Because while those three were getting settled into Beantown this summer, they came to an important realization -- they weren't getting to the Finals by themselves.

"It's not just the three of us that are going to make this thing work," said Allen. "There's more to the team than the three of us sitting here."

How those three impact the other nine players on the roster will go a long way toward determining how far the Celtics go. The production of players like Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins -- Boston's other two projected starters -- are a big part of their equation, especially after the trades for Allen and Garnett denuded the roster of most of its productive role players.

Each has been in town for several weeks working out with the rest of the squad, attempting to set an example and impart their wisdom on the team's youngsters. And Allen has taken his own words to heart, serving as Rondo's shooting coach and mentor. It was a mutual decision: on his own, Rondo started coming to the gym at 7:30 every morning in order to catch up with Allen and get shooting pointers, because he knew Allen was in the gym by 8:00. In turn, Allen started coming in at 7:30 to line up his workouts with Rondo's.

"He's a smart kid," said Allen of Rondo. "He wants to be good and he's been asking questions about his shot. He's out here working on his game to no end."

Because of that, Boston doesn't seem as concerned about its point guard slot as others are.

"In the second half of last year [Rondo] just kept improving," said Rivers. "I've read and heard all the talk about, 'Is he ready?' He has an opportunity to show everyone that he is."

Perkins looked ready too. He said he'd lost 15 pounds and was down to 268, his lightest weight in two years, and that the foot pain that bothered him all last season was no longer a factor (but don't worry: he'll still be wearing those layers of thick socks). Perkins also noted that Garnett's defensive skill will take some of the load off him, as the Celtics will be less likely to have defined match-ups and will instead allow the first big man back to take the first opposing big across halfcourt.

Should Perkins and Rondo deliver, the offseason trades for Allen and Garnett would appear to have Boston positioned for a title run. But a lot of water can leak into the Big Dig between now and then, with six months of regular season looming.

The grind starts tomorrow, as the Celtics set up shop in Rome, Italy, for training camp before playing preseason games in Rome and London. Rivers expressed some concern about the impact of the schedule on his practices, as he's heard horror stories from other coaches about overseas trips and the impact on preparation, including one team that spent 90 minutes in traffic just to reach its practice facility.

The glass-half-full approach, however, is that this isn't such a bad time for Boston to be going overseas. With so many new players needing to be integrated, some time together on the road might help cement the chemistry faster. "It's great for this group of guys because it's a forced bonding trip," said Rivers.

Meanwhile, for local fans the hard part may be the waiting, and I don't just mean for the team to return from Europe. Let's face it: What the team does between now and May is almost totally irrelevant. They'll be judged by what they do in the postseason, and the events leading up to that are secondary.

Thus, we won't know for a long time whether the uniting of Garnett, Allen and Pierce pays off with its stated goal of winning a title, or at the very least the conference. But by any name, the three All-Stars have the Celtics angling for a rare worst-to-first turnaround in the Eastern Conference -- one, it should be noted, that would vastly upgrade the historical legacy of all three.