OFFICIAL NBA SUMMER PLAYER MOVEMENT thread

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Jazz Sign Jason Hart

now i understand that derek fisher leaving has put the jazz in a tough position, but WHOA. :eek:

and i understand that jason hart did a commendable job for the clippers at a moment's notice, but WHOA. :eek:

i mean, did people forget that the clippers had to take the ball OUT of jason hart's hands down the stretch last season? that he couldn't get the job done down the stretch towards the playoffs?

and this caught my eye:

Saturday, July 14, 2007
Deal with Stevenson reportedly worth $15 million

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

Stevenson

WASHINGTON -- Unrestricted free agent DeShawn Stevenson and the Washington Wizards have agreed on a contract to keep the shooting guard with the club.

The team wouldn't disclose the terms of the deal, but it's reportedly worth $15 million over four years.

The Wizards are expected to formally announce the signing next week.

Stevenson averaged 11.2 points, 2.7 assists and 2.6 rebounds last season, his first with the Wizards. He was the only member of the team who appeared in all 82 games.

After the 2005-06 season, Stevenson opted out of the final year of his contract with the Orlando Magic, hoping for a big payday. Instead, he wound up with a veteran's minimum salary of $932,000 from the Wizards in 2006-07.

Last edited:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
cranrab said:
so what now for desmond mason?

Hornets To Let Mason Walk
July 14, 2007 - 10:29 am
The Times-Picayune -
After signing Morris Peterson, it appears the Hornets will no longer make a push to re-sign small forward Desmond Mason, who wants a salary beyond $8 million. The likely scenario is a sign-and-trade deal.

The Hornets are still interested in re-signing backup point guard Jannero Pargo, and negotiations continue between his agent, Mark Bartelstein, and Bower.

The Hornets can offer a three-year deal to Pargo that would not put them above the cap. Discussions, however, remain stalled involving Hornets free agent Devin Brown.

With the addition of Peterson, the Hornets still have up to three roster spots to fill.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Hornets To Let Mason Walk

not trying to be harsh, but that's not unexpected.

in fact, i would have tried to move him before last season ended. he was struggling all last year, and that horrific A/TO ratio was the kicker for me.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
cranrab said:
steve kerr is fond of saying that jason kidd has made a lot of players a lot of $ in the NBA.

this is a prime example.

mikki moore has career numbers playing alongside jason kidd, but i highly doubt he'll be able to pull off similar numbers playing in sacramento. who may be playing next season without mike bibby.

no numbers announced yet, so who knows if sacramento got fleeced, but i think its fair to say that mikki moore wins the FA sweepstakes on this one.

are the kings gonna be in the cellar with pretty boy coach theus running things?

Saw somewhere he signed for $18 million/3 years. Do you think thats overpaying when that bum Darko Milicic damn near got $9 million a year?

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Williams Agrees To Six-Year Deal To Stay With Bucks
July 14, 2007 - 1:16 pm
ESPN -
Mo Williams will be returning to the Milwaukee Bucks after agreeing in principle to a six-year, $52 million contract, ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan has learned.

The breakthrough in negotiations came when the Bucks increased their original offer as Williams was being heavily courted by the Miami Heat . Williams will have a player opt-out clause after the fourth and fifth year of the deal, which has an average annual salary of $8.67 million.

Williams was seeking a deal that would earn him similar money to what other starting point guards were making, but with money tight on this summer's free agent market, his leverage was limited. Miami and other teams could only offer Williams, who averaged career-bests of 17.3 points and 6.1 assists with the Bucks this past season, the mid-level exception of $5.3 million.

Signing Williams had been a priority for the Heat largely because the Heat have concerns about the health of incumbent starter Jason Williams -- who has battled several injuries during his two seasons in Miami and is rehabbing this summer at his home in Central Florida.

Agent Mark Bartelstein said the contract should be finalized early next week

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
xfactor said:
Glad to see another of the great ACC PGs in Steve Blake back in a Blazers' uniform. I'm still not a fan of all the moves that Pritchard is making (even without Francis and Fernandez the Blazers have 4 PGs on the roster) but I'm a fan of Blake.

Denver should be looking to deal for a PG very soon because Atkins is a solid backup at best. Can Iverson run the point with efficiency?

I really thought a lineup of -

Blake
Iverson
Anthony
Hilario
Camby

Bench -

Smith
Kleza
Martin

Had a chance to go far in the playoffs. Looks like they took a step back to me.

Atkins was primarily picked up because he's a solid point guard and he's a nice shooter from deep (an area which the Nuggets are hurting.

There is still a shot at the Nugz picking up Brevin Knight..so they will have 2 decent PGs on the roster (plus that have a young kid Von Wafer that's nice as well..

Knight appears keen on Nuggets
By Chris Dempsey
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 07/04/2007 12:01:16 PM MDT

On the eve of the Nuggets' meeting with former Charlotte point guard Brevin Knight's agent in Washington, D.C., the guard expressed great interest in the possibility of playing in Denver.

"That's an intriguing team for me," Knight said Tuesday by phone. "My interest is high. I just think it's a nice place to be. Two great scorers in (Allen) Iverson and Carmelo (Anthony). And to play with coach (George) Karl in that system, and where the organization has come from and where they are now, that's intriguing to me."

The Bobcats bought out Knight's contract Friday. Despite overtures from Bobcats executive vice president Bernie Bickerstaff signaling that Charlotte might look to re-sign him, Knight said "the odds of going back to Charlotte are very slim."

Knight's agent, Bill Strickland, is set to meet today with Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien, Knight confirmed.

He added that getting him into a Nuggets uniform hinges on security.

"To get to this point in your career, years are a little more paramount than dollars," Knight, 31, said. "The biggest thing I can say is for me years are more important than amount per year. You want to be as guaranteed as possible to know that you have a job the next year. So, for me, that's the biggest thing for me and my family and we push on from there."

Knight can score, rebound and has been a solid assist-man throughout his career. He combines that with the ability to get his hands on a lot of passes and loose balls, making him a steals threat.

While he would not help raise the Nuggets' 3-point percentages (.150 career percentage), he would give Denver the solid perimeter defender the team has lacked.

"I think I fit in fine pretty much most places," Knight said. "I can play whatever style. I know with those guys they like to get out and run as much as possible and let the wing score as much as possible. That's fine with me to play up and down, that's just like making me feel young all over again. We'll sit down and talk and see where everyone's heads are, where the numbers are and go from there."

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
xfactor said:
Saw somewhere he signed for $18 million/3 years. Do you think thats overpaying when that bum Darko Milicic damn near got $9 million a year?

do you think that's overpaying when that bum tobe damn near got $20M a year?

:lol:

jokes aside, you'll never see me write that a player doesn't "deserve" the $ that is negotiated in their contract. similarly, you'll rarely see me write that a player is "overpaid".

that said, i will comment freely on relative worth, as i did in the case of rashard lewis and gerald wallace.

if mikki moore did get $6M per season, good for him. but you can put me at the top of the list of people who are not optimistic that he can reproduce last season's productivity without jason kidd. it's easy for people to get seduced by the numbers, and i think the phoenix suns fell victim to that last season.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Williams Agrees To Six-Year Deal To Stay With Bucks

i think this was a wise choice for all involved.

mo williams got the most $ he could (more than the MLE, anyway) by staying in milwaukee, and he'll be able to get good minutes. the bucks' frontcourt is still suspect, what with that chinese kid and the australian dude, but they still could run mo williams, michael redd and bobby simmons if the stars align.

i'm inclined to think miami is better off without mo williams too. mo williams is a scoring PG who likes to (and at times is required to) shoot a lot. his FGAs have increased every season, but his mediocre FG% doesn't warrant the increase. he reminds me a bit of nick van exel, and i'm not certain the miami heat need that sort of player.

i like his aggressiveness with the ball, but i prefer more traditional style of play from the PG.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
good for the nets. i think.

Nets reach deal with Magloire, waive Adams
/ Associated Press
Posted: 22 hours ago

A day after losing center Mikki Moore to free agency, the New Jersey Nets reached an agreement in principle with former All-Star Jamaal Magloire on Saturday.
The deal is contingent on Magloire passing a physical. Contract terms were not immediately available.

The Nets also announced that they had requested waivers on guard Hassan Adams.

Magloire averaged 6.5 points and 6.1 rebounds in 81 games last season with the Portland Trail Blazers. The seven-year veteran averaged 8.4 points and 8.1 rebounds in 23 starts.

"We are very pleased to add Jamaal to our roster," Nets president Rod Thorn said. "He is an experienced low-post player who will add depth to our frontcourt rotation."

An All-Star in 2004, Magloire has career averages of 9.0 points and 7.5 rebounds. The 19th pick in the 2000 draft, he also has played with Charlotte and Milwaukee.

Moore signed a three-year, $18 million contract with Sacramento on Friday. The 7-footer averaged career highs of 9.8 points and 5.1 rebounds last season while leading the NBA in field-goal percentage at nearly 61 percent. He started 55 games filling in for injured Nenad Krstic.

Adams, who played at Arizona, was the 54th selection in the 2006 NBA draft. He played in 61 games for the Nets, averaging 2.9 points and 1.3 rebounds.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Mourning Returning For One More Season
July 15, 2007 - 11:01 pm
ESPN -
Ending nearly three months of suspense about his future, Miami Heat center Alonzo Mourning said Sunday night at his annual Zo's Summer Groove charity game that he'll play again next season -- a choice he kept secret to the end, insisting he was still deciding just hours before the actual announcement.

Truth was, Mourning's decision was made weeks ago. The Heat's reign as NBA champions ended with a first-round sweep this past season by the Chicago Bulls, and he simply isn't willing to let that be the final chapter in the book he's writing on his career.

"I want to redeem myself and try to help this team redeem ourselves as an organization and try to get back on track," Mourning said. "That wasn't the Miami team you saw in the playoffs last year. ... I was embarrassed. I was truly embarrassed by that outcome. I know for a fact we're a better team. It left a sour taste in my mouth and it's time to really end it all on the right note."

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Not really player movement, but just a clip I found of Kenyon Martin's rehab:

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/jRXyplSiPyY[/flash]

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Francis to return to Rockets
/ Associated Press
Posted: 2 hours ago

Steve Francis is returning to the Rockets.
Francis has agreed to a deal with Houston, his agent Jeff Fried said Thursday.

Before he was traded to Orlando in 2004 as part of a multiplayer deal that brought Tracy McGrady to the Rockets, Francis spent his first five NBA seasons with the Rockets.

He was sent to the Knicks in early 2006 and played for them until he was traded to Portland last month in a draft-night deal. The Trail Blazers bought out his contract for a reported $30 million last week, making him an unrestricted free agent.

"We're extremely pleased that he's going back to Houston," Fried said. "Houston has always been home for Steve since he entered the NBA."

Fried said the buyout from Portland allowed Francis more freedom in choosing a team based on factors other than money. He would not release terms of the deal, but said other teams offered more lucrative contracts.

Miami, Dallas and the Los Angeles Clippers were interested in the 30-year-old guard.

"When you look back at a few months ago and the status of things and fast forward to today, it's really something that probably could not have been planned or implemented any better," Fried said.

Fried said Francis chose the Rockets because of his "comfort factor" with the team and because he believes he can be a "meaningful participant in the overall success" in Houston.

Francis played just 44 games for the Knicks last season while dealing with injuries, averaging a career-low 11.3 points. The three-time All-Star has averaged 18.4 points and 6.1 assists in his eight-year NBA career.

Francis has maintained a home in Houston since signing with the Rockets his rookie season and spent time in the city last season while recovering from a knee injury.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Oberto re-signs with Spurs
/ Associated Press
Posted: 1 day ago

Part-time starter Fabricio Oberto re-signed with the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday.
Terms were not disclosed.

The 6-foot-10 native of Argentina spent the past two seasons with the Spurs. He started 33 of his 79 games last season, averaging 4.4 points and 4.7 rebounds in 17 minutes. He started 12 of 20 playoff games for the Spurs, who swept the Cleveland Cavaliers last month for their fourth NBA title in nine seasons.

Oberto set a franchise record by making all 11 field-goal attempts — for a career-high 22 points — in November against Phoenix.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Mihm, Fisher coming back to Lakers
Center signs two-year deal after working out with five other teams. Point guard will sign three-year deal Friday.
By Mike Bresnahan
Times Staff Writer

10:13 PM PDT, July 19, 2007

The Lakers took back two of their former players, one from the recent past and another from the almost-as-recent past.

Chris Mihm signed a two-year, $5-million free-agent contract Thursday to stay with the Lakers, and Derek Fisher will sign a three-year contract today worth about $14 million to return to the team he left three seasons ago as a free agent.

Mihm, who turned 28 on Monday, did not play last season after undergoing reconstructive surgery on his right ankle in November. He hopes he has left behind his ankle troubles, which also included an operation last July.

"I did a workout for the Lakers [Thursday], about 45 minutes, went pretty hard, and the ankle feels great," Mihm said. "I'm really surprised that I'm not even thinking about it out there, and I'm not having any pain out there on it. I've got the utmost confidence in myself and this ankle that I'm going to come out and have a great year this year."

Mihm was averaging a career-best 10.2 points and taking 6.3 rebounds a game when he hurt his ankle toward the end of the 2005-06 season. The first year of his contract is guaranteed and the second year is a player option, which allows him to become a free agent again next summer if he wishes. Mihm made $4.2 million last season.

As their roster stands now, the Lakers will have Kwame Brown, Andrew Bynum and Mihm at center, and Ronny Turiaf will move back to power forward.

Mihm had workouts with five other teams besides the Lakers: Chicago, Phoenix, Memphis, Philadelphia and Cleveland.

"I'd be lying if I said this wasn't a very stressful year for me," Mihm said. "I'm really excited to be back here and putting on a Laker uniform, which I wanted to do from the beginning."

With the addition of Fisher and Mihm, the Lakers have 14 players under contract, one shy of the league maximum.

The Lakers are also in line to pay luxury taxes, with a current payroll of about $70 million. A $1 tax is assessed for every $1 a team is over the luxury-tax threshold of $67.87 million. Only five teams paid the tax last season.

Fisher, who turns 33 next month, was released from his contract by the Utah Jazz almost three weeks ago so he could move to a city with advanced medical care for his 1-year-old daughter, Tatum, who has a rare form of eye cancer.

Fisher is expected to move into the starting lineup for the Lakers, who did not attempt to re-sign free agent Smush Parker. Fisher averaged 10.1 points and 3.3 assists for Utah last season.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Suns Send Thomas And Picks To Sonics
July 20, 2007 - 2:30 pm
The Arizona Republic -
In a move to unload salary, the Phoenix Suns traded Kurt Thomas to the Seattle SuperSonics .

In exchange for taking on the remainder of Thomas' contract, the Sonics will also receive the Suns' 2008 and 2010 first-round draft picks.

The Suns receive a conditional second-round draft pick and a trade exception of about $8 million.

Before the trade, the Suns' payroll would have left the club more than $10 million over the new luxury tax threshold of $67.9 million.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Milwaukee To Sign Desmond Mason
July 22, 2007 - 4:28 pm
Yahoo.com -
Desmond Mason is headed back to the place where he enjoyed his most success.

The athletic swingman will sign with the Bucks on Monday.

Mason will be introduced at a Noon EDT news conference.

The 2001 Slam Dunk Champion, Mason played with the Bucks for two-plus seasons (2003-05). He averaged a career-high 17.2 points in his final campaign with the club, then was traded to the Hornets.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
the 24-58 boston celtics attracted kevin garnett.

meanwhile, the fakers were able to attract...

Lakers sign guard Coby Karl
L.A. signs un-drafted free-agent point guard Coby Karl, the son of Denver Coach George Karl.
Ken Fowler
From Times Staff and Wire Reports

July 31, 2007

The Lakers' backcourt just got a little more crowded.

The team announced Monday it has signed un-drafted free-agent point guard Coby Karl. Details of the contract were not disclosed.

Karl, 24, averaged 14.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 4.0 assists as a senior at Boise State in 2006-07 and was a Western Athletic Conference first-team selection. After the 6-foot-4 guard was not selected in the NBA draft in June, Karl played for the Lakers' Las Vegas summer-league team and averaged 12.2 points in five games.

General Manager Mitch Kupchak said Karl showed the potential to be a "system player, a guy that would fit into a disciplined offense."

Still, the contract does not guarantee Karl a spot on the roster, which includes eight guards.

"There are a lot of guys in the backcourt, and just to make the team he's going to have to beat somebody out," Kupchak said.

Karl, the son of Denver Nuggets Coach George Karl, has twice battled thyroid cancer. He had his thyroid removed in 2006 and lymph nodes removed earlier this year.

— Ken Fowler

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Garnett headed to the Celtics
Timberwolves finally have a deal, with the star forward set to leave town for Jefferson, four others and two No. 1 picks
By Mark Heisler
Times Staff Writer

July 31, 2007

Kevin McHale, who helped build a powerhouse in Boston in the 1980s, may be about to build another one.

Of course, the first time, he played there.

Now the Minnesota Timberwolves' vice president of basketball operations, McHale has reportedly agreed to a trade that would send Kevin Garnett to the Celtics for Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff, Ryan Gomes and two No. 1 picks.

The Celtics package would, at least, satisfy McHale's dogged insistence on starting over with young players and getting salary-cap relief.

The 22-year-old Jefferson averaged 20 points and 11.5 rebounds after the All-Star game last season (and 16.0 points, 11.0 rebounds for the full season), but Gomes is a journeyman, Green a disappointment, Telfair was expected to be waived and Ratliff is in the deal for his expiring $11.7 million contract.

In June, McHale turned down a Lakers offer of Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom, reportedly because Odom has two years worth almost $28 million left on his contract.

A Celtics official told the Boston Globe on Monday that a restructured deal between the Timberwolves and Celtics "is in place." It reportedly hinges on Garnett waiving part of his $6.75 million trade kicker to keep Boston under the luxury tax threshold.

This, is turn, depends on Garnett's signing an extension with the Celtics, which would recoup his money but commit him to staying in Boston.

A similar deal foundered in June after Garnett's agent, Andy Miller, said his client, who has an opt-out clause next summer, said, "That's not a destination we're interested in pursuing.

Garnett, the 2004 most valuable player and a 10-time All-Star, has never commented but has reportedly withdrawn his objections to the trade.

Neither team commented Monday. However, Miller told the Globe, "There are serious discussions in place."

If the deal goes through, it would rescue the moribund Celtics, who have missed the playoffs in nine of the 14 seasons since McHale retired in 1993.

With Garnett, Paul Pierce and newly-acquired Ray Allen, the Celtics, who sank to 24-58 last season, could join the East's elite.

A deal would also end the long chase for Garnett by suitors eyeing his 2008 opt-out, starting with the Lakers.

After years of speculation that Garnett, who has a summer home in Malibu, wanted to play here, this off-season the Lakers offered Bynum and Odom to the Timberwolves for Garnett, then put them in a four-way deal with Minnesota, Boston and Indiana.

However, Boston GM Danny Ainge rejected that one, which would have sent Jermaine O'Neal to Boston.

Garnett, who would never ask to be traded, and the Timberwolves, who kept trying to make it work with him, have long avoided this day. Last year McHale turned down a Chicago offer of Luol Deng, Tyson Chandler and the No. 2 pick in that draft.

This season's 13th-place finish ended the Timberwolves' illusions and, if this Boston deal goes through, it ends Garnett's 12-year career in Minnesota.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Agent says Rockets to resign Hayes

August 1, 2007

HOUSTON (AP) -- Chuck Hayes and the Houston Rockets have reached agreement on a four-year contract to keep the forward in Houston, Hayes' agent said Tuesday.

"I feel good about getting it done, and I'm glad Chuck has some security," agent Calvin Andrews said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 6-foot-6 Hayes started 43 games and averaged 5.6 points and 6.7 rebounds last season.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said Hayes was "a critical component in the Rockets' success last season."

"With this agreement we are thrilled we will have Chuck as part of our core for some time," Morey said in an e-mail to Houston TV station KRIV.

Andrews said he expects Hayes to sign the contract later this week.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
cranrab said:
the 24-58 boston celtics attracted kevin garnett.

meanwhile, the fakers were able to attract...

Lakers sign guard Coby Karl
L.A. signs un-drafted free-agent point guard Coby Karl, the son of Denver Coach George Karl.
Ken Fowler
From Times Staff and Wire Reports

July 31, 2007

The Lakers' backcourt just got a little more crowded.

The team announced Monday it has signed un-drafted free-agent point guard Coby Karl. Details of the contract were not disclosed.

Karl, 24, averaged 14.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 4.0 assists as a senior at Boise State in 2006-07 and was a Western Athletic Conference first-team selection. After the 6-foot-4 guard was not selected in the NBA draft in June, Karl played for the Lakers' Las Vegas summer-league team and averaged 12.2 points in five games.

General Manager Mitch Kupchak said Karl showed the potential to be a "system player, a guy that would fit into a disciplined offense."

Still, the contract does not guarantee Karl a spot on the roster, which includes eight guards.

"There are a lot of guys in the backcourt, and just to make the team he's going to have to beat somebody out," Kupchak said.

Karl, the son of Denver Nuggets Coach George Karl, has twice battled thyroid cancer. He had his thyroid removed in 2006 and lymph nodes removed earlier this year.

— Ken Fowler

Do the Lakers have enough people under contract this year??

BTW, Boston has two post players and a guard that can shoot. If they could land a tall PG, they could run the triangle. I wonder if Phil is interested.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Last edited:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Boston starts to rebuild roster, signs House to one-year deal

By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

The Boston Celtics began filling out their trade-depleted roster Wednesday a day after acquiring Kevin Garnett, agreeing to terms with journeyman guard Eddie House on a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

The Celtics will use a portion of their mid-level exception to sign House, a person involved in the talks told ESPN.com. Boston will still have $3.8 of its exception left.

House, a seven-year veteran who spent last season with the New Jersey Nets, will be joining his eighth NBA team. He is a career 38 percent 3-point shooter.

The signing of House will bring the Celtics' roster up to 13 players, including unsigned second-round draft picks Gabe Pruitt and Glen Davis. Boston made a deal that included two draft picks and five players Tuesday to acquire Garnett from Minnesota. The Celtics surrendered Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair and Theo Ratliff in the deal.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Mavericks To Sign Eddie Jones
August 3, 2007 - 6:07 pm
Dallas Morning News -
The Mavericks strengthened their depth at shooting guard and small forward Friday, agreeing to terms on a two-year deal with veteran swingman Eddie Jones.

Owner Mark Cuban confirmed the pending deal with the unrestricted free agent. Jones, 35, is expected to fly to Dallas on Monday where he'll take a physical and officially sign. He'll receive $1.83 million in the first year from the Mavericks' bi-annual exception.

The team still has its $5.3 million mid-level exception to use for another free-agent acquisition.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Warriors Ink Perović And Croshere To Contracts
August 3, 2007 - 1:39 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
The Golden State Warriors have signed center Kosta Perović and forward Austin Croshere to contracts, Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Mullin announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not released.

Perović, 22, whom the Warriors selected with the 38th overall selection (eighth in the second round) in the 2006 NBA Draft, returned to his native Serbia & Montenegro after last year’s draft to play his seventh professional season in Europe. In 30 Adriatic League games with Partizan Belgrade this past season, the 7-2 center helped lead his team to the league championship by averaging 12.0 points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.3 assists, while shooting 56.8% (129-227 FG) from the field and 72.0% (103-143 FT) from the line. In 20 Euroleague contests, Perović averaged 10.8 points, 6.3 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.20 steals and 1.15 blocks, while shooting 50.0% (78-156 FG) from the field and 71.8% (61-85 FT) from the line.

“We are excited that Kosta will be joining our team this season,” said Mullin. “He is a very skilled player and we think that he has tremendous potential. We look forward to getting him in our system and continuing his development.”

Croshere, 32, owns career averages of 7.1 points and 4.2 rebounds in 18.2 minutes per game in 601 regular-season contests over 10 seasons with Indiana and Dallas. Additionally, the Providence College product has appeared in 68 playoff games, averaging 6.7 points and 3.6 rebounds in 18.2 minutes per game contest. In 2006-07, Croshere appeared in 61 regular-season games for the Dallas Mavericks in his lone season with the team, averaging 3.7 points and 3.0 rebounds in 11.9 minutes per game. He also appeared in three games of the First Round playoff series against Golden State, averaging 5.0 points and 2.0 rebounds in 11.3 minutes.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Brand Ruptures Achilles Tendon
August 3, 2007 - 7:25 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
Los Angeles Clippers ' forward Elton Brand ruptured his left Achilles tendon today during his regular daily workout at Spectrum Club South Bay.

Plans for Brand to undergo surgery to repair the injury are underway, the details of which will be made available by the team as soon as they are finalized.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Clippers Sign Brevin Knight
August 4, 2007 - 6:27 am
L.A. Times -
The Clippers' pursuit of a point guard ended Friday when the team agreed to terms with free agent Brevin Knight on a two-year, $4-million contract, league sources said.

The Clippers turned to the 10-year veteran after finishing second to the Houston Rockets in the quest to sign former All-Star Steve Francis and considering trades to acquire another established point guard to share the position with Sam Cassell.

Knight, 31, sidelined often throughout his career, must undergo a physical before signing the contract. He was selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first round of the 1997 draft after playing for Stanford. The Clippers will be his eighth NBA team.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Brand Ruptures Achilles Tendon
August 3, 2007 - 7:25 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
Los Angeles Clippers ' forward Elton Brand ruptured his left Achilles tendon today during his regular daily workout at Spectrum Club South Bay.

Plans for Brand to undergo surgery to repair the injury are underway, the details of which will be made available by the team as soon as they are finalized.

i GUARANTEE this happened because elton brand has not been keeping up with his regular exercise and fitness regimen. take some time off to promote the movie, come back to the court and try to go full speed. he's a little older, body doesn't bounce back as quickly anymore, spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, and next thing you know, the rubber band in your leg snaps.

deja vu of a nightmare i replayed in my mind for years. happens ALL the fucking time.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Trade for Navarro may help stabilize Gasol's Memphis future

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Don't expect to hear too much Pau Gasol trade speculation in coming months, after such chatter was a staple last season.

The Memphis Grizzlies on Friday reached a verbal agreement with the Washington Wizards to obtain the rights to Spanish guard Juan Carlos Navarro, reinforcing the notion that the Grizz have no intention of parting with Gasol.

The Grizzlies and Wizards, according to NBA front-office sources, have an agreement in principle that would send a future first-round pick -- likely a 2008 first-rounder -- to Washington in exchange for Navarro, who is considered one of Europe's top guards and, of greater importance to Memphis, one of Gasol's best friends.

Specifics about the draft pick and the lottery protection involved are still being finalized, sources said, but the Grizzlies are now exclusively negotiating a buyout of Navarro's contract with European club power FC Barcelona and operating as if he's their player.

According to a deadline established by Barcelona officials, Navarro had to be traded by the Wizards by Friday if he wanted to be in the NBA next season. This trade in principle appears to have satisfied the Spanish club, which originally set a deadline of July 25 and then extended it.

No buyout has been completed and it's believed that the 27-year-old will have to pay his Spanish employers nearly $2.5 million for his freedom, since league rules preclude Memphis from contributing more than $500,000 to the buyout equation. Yet all signs point to those arrangements materializing by next week, even though Memphis is likely limited to signing Navarro to a short-term, low-dollar deal after bestowing a three-year, $21 million deal on free-agent center Darko Milicic.

The strongest signal that Navarro will soon be a member of the Grizzles appears on Barcelona's own club Web site, which carries an announcement that the parties will be working over the next few days to finalize the player's release.

Gasol's growing frustration with Memphis' long-term outlook and the Grizzlies' willingness to move the 7-footer were well-chronicled before and after last February's trade deadline. A series of moves since the end of a 22-60 season, however, appears to have brightened that outlook in spite of team president Jerry West's recent resignation.

Although the Grizzlies didn't land a top-two pick as they hoped, they came out of the draft with Ohio State point guard Mike Conley. They also hired on-the-rise Phoenix assistant Marc Iavaroni as their new head coach and landed Milicic as Gasol's new frontcourt sidekick.

The progress made by new general manager Chris Wallace in signing Navarro, though, will undoubtedly please Gasol most.

The Wizards, meanwhile, will be getting a future first-round pick for a player that they realistically couldn't bring to the NBA next season, given Washington's salary-cap limitations and lack of roster room. Navarro was a second-round pick in the 2002 draft, selected No. 40 overall by the Wizards during the period after Michael Jordan relinquished his front-office duties to make one last comeback and before current Wiz president Ernie Grunfeld began running the team.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Miami Signs Penny Hardaway
August 9, 2007 - 5:29 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
The Miami Heat announced today that they have signed free agent guard/forward Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway. Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“Penny is a player who has been an All-Star and has enjoyed an illustrious career,” said Heat President & Head Coach Pat Riley. “We have been impressed at his hard work and dedication this summer to get back in shape and return to the NBA. He is a skilled player who can help us in multiple positions.”

During a 13-year NBA career with the Orlando Magic , Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks , Hardaway has averaged 15.4 points, 5.1 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.61 steals and 34.0 minutes in 688 games (549 starts). The 6’7”, 220-pound guard/forward has shot 45.8 percent from the floor, 31.5 percent from three-point range and 77.4 percent from the foul line

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Houston Also Considering Comeback, Cavs And Mavs Interested?
August 9, 2007 - 5:54 pm
ESPN -
Allan Houston is another 3-point specialist considering a comeback to the NBA.

"It's something I'd like to do,'' Houston said in a telephone interview Thursday morning. "It's just a matter of getting myself back in game shape and getting used to playing again.''

Sources say Dallas and Cleveland headline the list of interested clubs. Boston, which has contacted Miller about a comeback, Phoenix, Miami and perhaps San Antonio, are also teams that would be logical destinations.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Clippers Officially Sign Brevin Knight
August 13, 2007 - 7:56 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
The Los Angeles Clippers officially signed free agent guard Brevin Knight. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

A ten-year NBA veteran, Knight averaged 9.1 points, 6.6 assists and 2.7 rebounds in 45 games played for the Charlotte Bobcats last season. Knight started his NBA career with Cleveland in 1997-98 and has also played for Atlanta, Memphis, Phoenix, Washington and Miami. In 581 career NBA games, Knight has averaged 8.3 points, 6.8 assists, 2.7 rebounds and 1.8 steals.

In making the announcement Clippers’ Vice President of Basketball Operations Elgin Baylor said: “Brevin is one of the better defensive point guards in the league. He’s also a gifted floor leader with a great assist-to-turnover ratio. We like that he is good at running the offense and that he always looks to get his teammates involved.”

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sad to see the man go as it seems like Pritchard has made another questionable move in his quest to build a contender. Can Darius Miles and TO hold down the SF spot?

Spurs: Udoka agrees to contract

Web Posted: 08/13/2007 11:11 PM CDT

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

Ime Udoka, a 6-foot-5 swingman whose path to the NBA was not unlike that of Bruce Bowen, has agreed to terms of a contract that will make him a Spur, according to agent Erin Cowan.

If Udoka's game continues to develop, he may eventually be the 36-year-old Bowen's successor as the Spurs' starting small forward.

Udoka played his first full season in the NBA in 2006-07, starting 75 games for the Trail Blazers. A fan favorite in Portland, Udoka averaged 8.4 points and 3.7 rebounds in 28.6 minutes a game. A Portland native, he refused to give up his dream of playing in the NBA after his college career at Portland State ended in 2000.

An unrestricted free agent with a reputation as a hard worker and tireless defender, Udoka's deal may be finalized today, according to Cowan. The Spurs' offer is believed to be worth slightly more than $2 million over the next two seasons.

Like Bowen, who went undrafted out of Cal State-Fullerton and spent time in a pro league in France and in the Continental Basketball Association, Udoka paid plenty of dues before getting to the NBA.

He played professionally in Spain and France and in minor leagues in the United States before getting a contract for a full NBA season.

After playing overseas, Udoka spent three seasons in the National Basketball Development League, first in Charleston, S.C., and finally with the Fort Worth Flyers. He earned first-team All-NBDL honors in 2005-06, when he averaged 17.1 points and 6.2 rebounds for Fort Worth.

Udoka, who turned 30 on Aug. 9, not only earned a spot on the Trail Blazers' roster last season, but was a starter by the regular-season opener. After trading for forward James Jones and signing free agents Travis Outlaw and Steve Blake, the Blazers have no room for Udoka.

Cowan, who said the Spurs had been the first team to express interest in signing Udoka, then shopped his client to several other teams, including the Heat, Mavericks and Celtics. Ultimately, Udoka chose to accept the Spurs' offer.

"We're just waiting to work out the final details," Cowan said.

When the free-agent market opened July 1, the Spurs focused their initial efforts on re-signing players from their own roster. In short order, they renewed deals with Fabricio Oberto, Jacque Vaughn and Matt Bonner.

Once those players were back in place, they spoke with Cowan about Udoka, one of the few available free agents from other teams in whom they showed interest. Cowan stressed that Udoka is excited about the prospect of "playing on the grand stage for the defending champions.

"He's excited to start the next phase of his career," Cowan told The (Portland) Oregonian. "He wants to be a Spur for a long time."

Udoka impressed scouts this season with his dedication to perimeter defense and work to make himself a more effective 3-point shooter. Like Bowen, Udoka is a self-made shooter.

He made 46 percent of all his shots last season and finished 19th in the NBA in 3-point percentage, making 40.1 percent.

Unlike Bowen, Udoka does not have a reputation as a defender who sometimes plays too physically.

In fact, he won the NBDL's Joel Collier Sportsmanship Award for the 2005-06 season.

Udoka's signing gives the Spurs 14 players under contract for next season, and he effectively fills the roster spot vacated when the Spurs waived James White.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Let's play GM for a minute. Here is the situation for the Clippers

Brand Injury Could Put Clips Back In Cellar
Authored by Jason M. Williams - 13th August, 2007 - 3:03 pm

When Elton Brand went down with a ruptured Achilles tendon this past week, he brought the hopes and dreams of the entire Clipper Nation down with him. Two years removed from being a game away from a date with the Dallas Mavericks in the Western Conference Finals, the Clippers once again appear to be destined to be…well, the Clippers – the cellar dweller of the Pacific Division and quite possibly the Western Conference. They had Clipper Nation fooled for a couple of years, but with Brand expected to be on the shelf for at least four months, it appears Bill Simmons opted out of his season ticket package at the best possible time.

Elton Brand put the Clippers back on the map. His 20.5 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks per game accounted for nearly 25% of their scoring and rebounding and his defensive presence in the paint was immeasurable. Assuming rookie Al Thornton becomes the backup to Corey Maggette on the wing while Chris Kaman holds down the fort at the center position, it appears the only suitable back-ups to replace the All Star power forward are Tim Thomas, much traveled veteran Aaron Williams, and unproven big man Paul Davis. Tim Thomas is a natural wing player, whereas Aaron Williams and Paul Davis have a combined 73 starts amongst themselves - all of which belong to the thirteen-year veteran journeyman Williams.

With this injury occurring so late in the off-season, Elgin Baylor’s hands appear to be tied. Many serviceable big men have already been inked to deals throughout the NBA landscape, including Mikki Moore to Sacramento, Jamaal Magloire to New Jersey, Darko Milicic to Memphis, and Joe Smith to Chicago. The remaining available free agents to fill this roster void are slim, headlined by aging former stars P.J. Brown, Chris Webber, and Dikembe Mutombo, the already cast-off Melvin Ely, and the oft-overweight Mike Sweetney. But is signing one of these guys to a multi-year deal even worth it? The much maligned Baylor will certainly be tempted. But the answer, in short, is no.

The injury to emerging point guard Shaun Livingston last season was disheartening. This injury to Brand is downright devastating. With the Clippers in a pivotal position, they must decide the direction of the franchise future by either dealing for a suitable big man to replace Brand in the talent-heavy West, or begin the fire sale and plan for the future around Kaman, Livingston, and Thornton.

Sam Cassell is in the final year of his contract and both Brand and Maggette can opt out of their contracts following this season. While it is now unlikely that Brand will walk away from a guaranteed $16.4M following this crushing injury, it is not unreasonable to think Maggette can get more than the $8.4M option he has in line for the 2008-09 season. If Rashard Lewis can get a max contract, why can’t Corey Maggette get more than $10M per season?

Assuming Maggette will walk, the best move that Baylor could make prior to the season would be to finally deal the longtime Clipper in exchange for a serviceable big man. Maggette has been the focus of trade talks many times over the past two years. His prowess as a scorer at the wing position makes him a valuable commodity that many teams covet. At the prime age of 27, now is the time Baylor must cash in on the longtime Clipper small forward before it is too late to acquire equal talent in return. Tim Thomas and Al Thornton can handle the wing position for the Clips, while Maggette can finally escape the constant murmur of trade talk out of Los Angeles.

Although highly unlikely due to the fact they share the same city, a deal that would send Maggette across the hall to the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for Kwame Brown would appear to make the most sense. Of course, under the NBA’s trade rules, small parts like Will Conroy would have to be included to make the salaries match. But Brown would be a short term fix for the Clippers since he is in the final year of his contract, and would pair with Kaman as a very young exciting frontcourt tandem. For the Lakers, they would insert the talented small forward into the starting lineup between Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom while freeing up minutes in the paint for the emerging Andrew Bynum.

Unless Baylor and the Clippers are able to pull of a deal similar to the one stated above, it is painfully obvious that they won’t be making the playoffs in the powerful Western Conference this season. The optimal train of thought is to find a short term stopgap for the hole created by the injury to Elton Brand while considering the long term plan for the future of the franchise. With youthful keepers including the recovering Shaun Livingston, powerhouse Chris Kaman, and newcomer Al Thornton, the Clippers have a strong foundation for the future, but still need to make a deal in order to be competitive this season. Otherwise, as they await the return of their franchise player, you can count on this year’s version of the Los Angeles Clippers to be far more reminiscent of the good old cellar-dwelling Clippers of the past.

Now, the Clips need help this year...BAD. They are depleted at PG and their franchise has gone to hell. Now if you were Elgin Bayler, how would you remedy this? Remember, your main selling point is Maggette.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
the clippers would be CRAZY to even consider that deal (maggette for brown). tell jason williams to put away the PCP.

the clippers may not be contenders this season, but they can field a competitive squad if coach dunleavy goes small. really, what other choice do they have?

they have:

sam cassell/brevin knight
quinton ross/cuttino mobley
corey maggette/al thornton
tim thomas/???
chris kaman/aaron williams

without elton brand, the clippers have a GAPING hole at the PF, and there's no suitable sub. elton brand's injury doesn't just hurt the clippers scoring, it impacts their rebounding and interior defense.

EDIT: calling mr. oakley. mr. charles oakley to los angeles. :lol:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Pistons sign free-agent forward Hayes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- The Detroit Pistons signed free-agent guard/forward Jarvis Hayes on Thursday.

The 6-foot-8 Hayes appeared in 81 games last season for the Washington Wizards, averaging 7.2 points, 2.6 rebounds and 20.1 minutes.

"We are pleased to add Jarvis Hayes to our roster," team president Joe Dumars said. "Jarvis has proven himself as a solid NBA player over the last four seasons, and we like the flexibility and depth he will bring to our team at the small forward position."