OFFICIAL NBA SUMMER PLAYER MOVEMENT thread

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
NahLaterz said:
Sources: Rockets agree to trade Howard to Wolves for James
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The Minnesota Timberwolves and Houston Rockets, who have been discussing a Mike James-for-Juwan Howard swap in one form or another since the February trade deadline, have agreed in principle to finally complete that deal this month, ESPN.com has learned.

An announcement of the trade's completion could be made as early as this week, according to NBA front-office sources.

The holdup stems from the possibility that another player or two could be added to the deal, sources say. The teams, though, have verbally agreed to a straight-up exchange of James for Howard at the very least.

The Timberwolves beat out Houston for James' free-agent signature last summer because of their willingness to include a trade kicker in the well-traveled point guard's four-year, $23.4 million contract, but the acquisition was questioned from the start after Minnesota landed Randy Foye in the 2006 draft.

James then struggled to make an impact with his new team, averaging just 10.1 points in 25.3 minutes per game and eventually losing his starting spot after enjoying a breakout season in Toronto in 2005-06.

A strong recruiting pitch from Wolves forward Kevin Garnett -- along with the trade bonus he held out for in negotiations -- convinced James to spurn similar financial offers from the Dallas Mavericks and the Rockets, even though he maintains an offseason home in Houston. But the intense Garnett and the chatty James clashed almost from the start, according to club sources, adding to the Wolves' remorse after it quickly became apparent that there wasn't rotation room for James and Foye.

So the Wolves decided by midseason that they would try to move their lone significant offseason acquisition and were on the verge of sending James to Houston for Howard when the deal fell through on Feb. 22, in part because the Rockets were reluctant to change the chemistry on a team that wound up overcoming numerous injuries to win 52 games.

But Houston's interest in James and adding depth to its backcourt under new coach Rick Adelman hasn't wavered, thanks to the 31-year-old's successful stint with the Rockets in the second half of the 2004-05 season.

"This has been difficult," James told ESPN.com in late March when asked to describe his debut season with the Wolves. "Physically, mentally, emotionally … all of the above."

Garnett, meanwhile, is expected to welcome the arrival of Howard, a 34-year-old former All-Star, after publicly calling -- repeatedly -- for more size in the Wolves' frontcourt and more of a veteran presence in the locker room.

Howard averaged 9.7 points and 5.9 rebounds in 26.6 minutes per game last season. His contract is one year shorter than James' deal, with just two seasons to run at $14.3 million.

Take that bum Jaric, too. They should have never traded Cassell for him..

Anyway, Troy stays hurt too much. They'll probablly want a PG in return with Juwan..

Houston Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Juwan Howard
6-9 PF from Michigan
9.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.6 apg in 26.6 minutes

Rafer Alston
6-2 PG from Frenso State
13.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.4 apg in 37.0 minutes

Minnesota Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Marko Jaric
6-7 SG from Serbia-Montenegro (Foreign)
5.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.1 apg in 22.3 minutes

Mike James
6-2 PG from Duquesne
10.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 3.6 apg in 25.3 minutes
Change in team outlook: -7.6 ppg, -4.7 rpg, and -1.3 apg.

Successful Scenario

Due to Minnesota and Houston being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Minnesota and Houston had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

or

Houston Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Juwan Howard
6-9 PF from Michigan

Bob Sura
6-5 from Florida State
No games yet played in 2006/07

Outgoing

Marko Jaric
6-7 SG from Serbia-Montenegro (Foreign)
5.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.1 apg in 22.3 minutes

Mike James
6-2 PG from Duquesne
Change in team outlook: +5.7 ppg, -1.3 rpg, and +4.1 apg.

Successful Scenario

Due to Minnesota and Houston being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Minnesota and Houston had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

or If they draft either Brewer or Noah from Florida:

It's a strong bet that one of three Florida players - 6-foot-10 Al Horford, 6-9 Corey Brewer or 6-11 Joakim Noah,left, - will be the Timberwolves' top pick at No. 7 in the June 28 NBA draft. The Wolves were especially impressed with Noah's energy during a recent workout.

If the Wolves choose Brewer, they will trade Trenton Hassell.

Houston Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Juwan Howard
6-9 PF from Michigan

Rafer Alston
6-2 PG from Frenso State
13.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 5.4 apg in 37.0 minutes

Outgoing

Mike James
6-2 PG from Duquesne

Trenton Hassell
6-5 SG from Austin Peay
6.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.7 apg in 29.2 minutes
Change in team outlook: -6.2 ppg, -4.1 rpg, and -0.7 apg.

Successful Scenario

Last edited:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Duhon: No hard feelings if Bulls deal
Bulls guard keeps working, wants to remain with team

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

June 13, 2007, 11:16 PM CDT

Chris Duhon's Wednesday started with an e-mail from Bulls general manager John Paxson and continued with two workouts.

"That's the part I can control," Duhon said by phone. "I can't control trade rumors."

Nevertheless, despite Paxson's electronic reassurance that no specific talks have taken place, Duhon will be in them this summer for a variety of reasons.

He's a proven NBA rotation player. He owns an expiring contract. Certain incoming guards have impressed management, even as potential second-round picks, which, coincidentally, Duhon was in 2004.

"From where this organization was when I came here to where it is now, of course I want to be a part of that and see this through," Duhon said. "But if I did get traded, there would be no hard feelings. I understand it's a business."

In that same vein, in his season-ending exit interview with Paxson, Duhon expressed confusion over his late-season role. That included a "Did Not Play—Coach's Decision" in Game 3 of the Pistons series, which came on the heels of Duhon missing a team film session.

"I was disappointed because I felt I could've helped more," Duhon said. "Scott (Skiles) is a great coach who gave me my chance in the NBA. But there were times I felt I could've given Kirk (Hinrich) and BG (Ben Gordon) more of a breather."

Paxson has assured Duhon the glut of guards the Bulls have brought in for draft workouts is simply the team performing due diligence. The Bulls raised eyebrows by securing a Saturday workout with Ohio State's Mike Conley Jr., the top-rated point guard in the draft whom most observers figure to be gone by the ninth pick.

But Paxson has insisted at every opportunity the Bulls aren't necessarily locked in to drafting to fill their biggest need, a scoring big man.

Bringing Conley Jr. in is another example of the Bulls being prepared to draft the best player on the board—and then possibly addressing that biggest need after the draft via trade with current assets or ones acquired through the draft, or through free agency.

The Bulls are being equally diligent on their second-round picks. They brought to Chicago last week guard JamesOn Curry, the Oklahoma State junior who has yet to hire an agent and has until June 18 to withdraw from the draft.

Oklahoma State coach Sean Sutton has been quoted as saying Curry is 50-50 on the decision.

Curry, the leading scorer in North Carolina high school history, didn't work out but met with Paxson and Skiles for background interviews that are said to have gone well. Curry has a February 2004 arrest for selling marijuana to an undercover police officer.

Curry had his scholarship to North Carolina revoked. He was placed on three years' probation, which lapsed without incident in April, and ordered to perform 200 hours of community service.

The 6-foot-3-inch Curry, who, according to scouts, plays bigger because of his length, averaged 17.3 points on 45.2 percent shooting in his junior season. The Bulls are looking to add size to their backcourt.

•DePaul's Wilson Chandler withdrew from his scheduled Thursday draft workout at the Berto Center, citing an ankle problem.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
wow. what a surprise. colangelo jr. picks up another stinking euro on the toronto raptors.

this guy is pure comedy. he doesn't care about winning, he cares about creating a profitable franchise by keeping team salary low. more euros means less payroll.

Pistons trade Delfino to Raptors for 2 second-round draft picks

June 15, 2007

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- The Detroit Pistons traded guard Carlos Delfino to the Toronto Raptors on Friday for second-round draft picks in 2009 and 2010.

"We appreciate everything Carlos did for us while he was here and we wish him all the best with Toronto," Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars said.

Delfino, from Argentina, was drafted 25th overall by Detroit in 2003, and averaged 4.4 points, 2.4 rebounds and 0.9 assists in 180 games with the Pistons.

During the 2006-07 regular season, the 6-foot-6 guard averaged 5.2 points and 3.2 rebounds in 16.8 minutes while appearing in all 82 games. He played in all 16 of Detroit's playoff games, averaging 2.3 points and 1.3 rebounds in 8.4 minutes.

The 25-year-old player is set to make just over $1.8 million next season.

"Carlos is a talented basketball player that should thrive in our system," Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo said. "Like many international players that come to the league, he has much more professional experience than his NBA resume suggests."

Delfino spent four seasons with Reggio Calabria (2000-02) and Skipper Bologna (2003-04) of the Italian league before joining the NBA. He was a member of Argentina's gold medal-winning team in the 2004 Olympics.

Detroit's other first-round pick in the 2003 draft was Darko Milicic, a 7-foot center from the former Serbia and Montenegro taken No. 2 overall behind Cleveland's LeBron James and ahead of Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. Milicic appeared in 96 games over 2 1/2 seasons before being traded to Orlando in February 2006 in a deal that gives Detroit the Magic's 15th pick overall June 28 in the NBA draft.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Report: Sonics F Lewis may not be free agent
June 19, 2007

NEW YORK (TICKER) -- A procedural error may cost Seattle SuperSonics forward Rashard Lewis an opportunity at free agency, according to a published report.

The New York Post, citing an unidentified attorney with knowledge of the contract language, reported on its website Tuesday that Lewis' agent, Tony Dutt, may have mishandled the paperwork that would have allowed his client to void the last two years of his current deal.

Citing the attorney, the report said that in order for Lewis to become a free agent, he had to declare his intentions in writing, delivering it personally or by registered mail on the later day of Seattle's last game or June 1, with a five-day window.

Dutt reportedly informed the SuperSonics of Lewis' decision on May 25 or 26. The team's season ended April 18.

The report did not directly quote anyone who may be involved in the process.

Lewis turns 28 in August and was considered one of the top free agents on this summer's market, along with Chauncey Billups and Vince Carter. He was expected to command a multi-year contract starting in the range of $12 million per season.

The 6-10 Lewis averaged a career-high 22.4 points and 6.6 rebounds in 60 games last season, his ninth in the NBA. The 2005 All-Star has spent his entire career with Seattle since entering the league out of high school in 1998 and has increased his scoring average in every season but one.

It also was possible that Lewis would not re-sign with the SuperSonics, who have the second overall pick in next week's draft and are expected to select Texas forward Kevin Durant, who has similar size and skills to Lewis.

Lewis' current contract is a five-year deal that calls for him to make $10.1 million next season and $10.9 million in 2008-09.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Here is the full list of free agents for 2007..

Top free agents:

Chauncey Billups-Pistons
PG 30 Unrestricted

Vince Carter-Nets
GF 29 Unrestricted

Rashard Lewis-Sonics
SF 27 Unrestricted

Gerald Wallace-Bobcats
GF 24 Unrestricted

Mo Williams-Bucks
PG 23 Unrestricted

Grant Hill-Magic
SF 34 Unrestricted

Darko Milicic-Magic
FC 21 Restricted

Anderson Varejao-Cavaliers
F 24 Restricted

Andres Nocioni-Bulls
SF 26 Restricted

Chris Webber-Pistons
FC 34 Unrestricted

I'm curious to get people opinions on who is would be a FA steal (and where would they fit in) and who is an overrated FA The ones I'm most curious in would be Alonzo Mourning and Kurt Thomas. I think they would be sericable on quite a few teams.

Overrated FA would easily be Darko and Olowakandi..

Last edited:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
cranrab said:
i can understand why fakers fans are interested in KG. that's a no brainer.

but why jermaine o'neal?

jermaine o'neal hasn't played 70 games or more in a season since 2004.

jermaine o'neal and baron davis have played about the same number of games in the past 3 seasons.

on the plus side, jermaine o'neal is a strong rebounder and shot blocker (when he's healthy), but he has an oddly POOR FG% for a big man, and his scoring average has decreased over the past 3 seasons, EVEN THOUGH HIS MP have increased

O'Neal ineffectiveness directly coincides with the day Isiah Thomas
was sent packing by Larry The Great. The next coaches sort of took
Oneal off the blocks and made him face the basket more. I believe
when playing in the right kind of system, there are few PFs better.
Or more efficient

and yes, he is definitely a health risk, which is why you make SURE
you have a strong backup that can play 15-20 minutes per game
and can also spot start depending on the matchups

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Agent Says Wells Staying With Rockets Next Season
24th June, 2007 - 2:44 am
ESPN -
Veteran guard Bonzi Wells plans to stick with the Houston Rockets during the 2007-08 season, his agent told a Houston television station on Saturday.

"Bonzi has sent in the necessary paperwork and he is opting in, and he will play for the Rockets this coming season," Bill Duffy told KRIV.

Even though Wells had signed a two-year contract with the Rockets, he could have opted out of the deal this offseason.

Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis told The Associated Press on Saturday night that the team hasn't received any paperwork so far from Wells.

New coach Rick Adelman's arrival raised the possibility of Wells' return to Houston. The temperamental Wells hardly played last season, sidelined with various injuries and a rift with coach Jeff Van Gundy.

But Wells had a productive 2005-06 season under Adelman in Sacramento and averaged 23 points and 12 rebounds in the playoffs.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
I'm curious to get people opinions on who is would be a FA steal (and where would they fit in) and who is an overrated FA The ones I'm most curious in would be Alonzo Mourning and Kurt Thomas. I think they would be sericable on quite a few teams.

my pick for best FA is gerald wallace.

from that list you provided, i think that rashard lewis is the most over-rated.

darko milicic doesn't even show up on my radar.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:

To me -

OVERRATED:

Anderson Varejao
Mickeal Pietrus
Earl Boykins
Fabricio Oberto
Desmond Mason

UNDERRATED:

Morris Peterson
Steve Blake
Grant Hill (if he takes the veteran minimum)
Maurice Williams
Antonio McDyess

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Webber unsure of NBA future

Associated Press

DETROIT — Chris Webber is as unsure about his future in the NBA now as he was when the Detroit Pistons were eliminated in the Eastern Conference finals earlier this month.

"It's only been a few weeks, so honestly I'm just resting and letting things happen," the five-time All-Star said in a telephone interview. "I just don't know what I want to do yet and I have to be fair to everyone possibly involved."

Webber provided a boost to Detroit's starting lineup when he was signed in midseason following his release by the Philadelphia 76ers. Then, his uneven play in the playoffs seemed to frustrate him.

"I don't want to be in a situation where I'm just going through the motions, letting everything be said about me," the 34-year-old center said earlier this month after Detroit was knocked out by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Webber, who can become a free agent Sunday, is involved with a pair of off-the-court projects to keep his mind occupied while he delays a decision about his career.

He hosted a news conference Tuesday at the Charles W. Wright Museum of African American History, where his collection of artifacts and documents will be on display from Thursday through Sept. 28.

The exhibit "Celebrating Heritage" includes Phillis Wheately's first edition "Poems on Various Subjects, Religious and Moral" that was published in 1773, and a postcard Malcolm X sent to author Alex Haley.

"Those are my personal favorites," Webber said. "It's really a treat when eyes light up, especially little girls, when they see the second novel by a woman and the first by an African American woman. Hopefully, the entire collection that has been in a few other cities will help inspire some children in my hometown at the largest African American museum."

Webber is also planning a July 20-22 fundraiser for his foundation, "C-Webb's Bada Bling Celebrity Weekend," in Las Vegas.

"Bada Bling is all about having a good time for a good cause," he said. "There's going to a lot people listening to music, playing golf, getting involved in a poker tournament, all to help keep my foundation going strong.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Pierce's patience running out
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
June 25, 2007

Adrian Wojnarowski
Yahoo! Sports

As much as Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge wanted a bigger return for Al Jefferson and the No. 5 pick in the flat-lined, four-team blockbuster trade proposal that died on Monday, little was done for the franchise's trampled image when Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal turned out to be one more star privately disclosing disdain over the prospects of playing for the Celtics.

First, it was Phoenix's Shawn Marion insisting that he didn't want to go to Boston.

Then it was Minnesota's Kevin Garnett.

And now it's O'Neal.

Here's the problem for Ainge: According to a league executive, Paul Pierce has finally told team management that unless the Celtics come out of this week with a talented veteran co-star for him, they should expect him to make a public declaration soon after Thursday's draft that he wants a trade.

"Danny is under tremendous pressure, from inside and outside, to get a deal for someone done this week," one league executive said.

As hard as the Celtics, Pacers, Timberwolves and Lakers worked on the collapsed deal that would've sent Kevin Garnett to Los Angeles, Boston and Indiana couldn't come to terms with what they were to receive. The Pacers were uncomfortable with Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom without minimally the Lakers' pick at 19, just as the Celtics believed they had to get more back for sending Jefferson, the emerging forward, and the fifth pick to Minnesota.

There was some belief that Pierce was going to demand a trade upon his return from a wrist injury during the regular season, when the bottom fell out of Boston's season with 17 straight losses. He didn't do it.

Ainge and Doc Rivers traveled to Phoenix on Monday night for a shared workout with the Suns that included Florida's Joakim Noah and Corey Brewer and Georgetown's Jeff Green on Tuesday. If Ainge has to pick one of those players – never mind China's Yi Jianlian – it appears that Pierce will soon let him know that he's not interested in the painstaking process of watching the kid develop beside him.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Garnett to Lakers: Kobe Needs to Weigh In

It’s time for Kobe Bryant to come out and state publicly where he stands now that the Lakers are doing everything in their power to appease him by attempting to acquire Kevin Garnett.

Kobe had a lot to say a few weeks ago, to just about every media outlet known to mankind. Where is he now?

Where are the sound bytes? The proclamations? The contradictions? The Kobe-isms?

It’s been almost a month since Bryant sent shockwaves through the NBA by stating unequivocally that he wants the Lakers to surround him with All-Star talent or trade him.

You know the rest: Some comments he made about feeling better after speaking with coach Phil Jackson were misinterpreted by all but about two or three NBA media. Kobe didn’t back down that day, and he still hasn’t.

When trade talks that would send Garnett to the Lakers became public Monday, the first thing I thought was: What is Kobe going to think? Would this be enough to get him to state publicly that he wants to stay in L.A.?

So far no word from Kobe. It should be coming soon, as he will be making a public appearance this week at a basketball camp he is holding in Santa Monica, Calif. Promises to be a media frenzy that’ll make Paris Hilton jealous.

But while Kobe hasn’t spoken on the airwaves or anywhere else for attribution, he evidently has sent a smoke signal out through ESPN The Magazine’s Ric Bucher, one of the only media types in the country in whom Kobe confides. My antennae went up Monday night when I heard Bucher on TV saying that to the best of his understanding, the Garnett situation in fact HAS NOT changed Kobe’s mind. He still wants out of L.A., Bucher said.

Hardly anyone has picked up on this, but the words should be taken as straight from Kobe’s mouth as far as I’m concerned. But that’s not good enough. If Kobe has an opinion one way or another about the Garnett deal, he needs to come out and say it. The Lakers and all the people he led on his magical mystery tour a few weeks ago need to know what he thinks now.

A few more thoughts on the Garnett trade talks:

1) Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom, and Kwame Brown are not enough for Garnett straight up. Minnesota should be looking for more.
2) That’s where a multi-team deal would come into play. The Celtics make the most sense, since they have the No. 5 pick. But various reports had Boston pulling out of a potential four-team swap also involving the Pacers because the Celtics weren’t pleased with what they’d get out of it. If they’re sending the No. 5 pick and Al Jefferson to the T-Wolves, the Celtics should get more than Jermaine O’Neal in return.
3) If a third or even fourth team is going to be needed to send Garnett to the Lakers, Jerry Buss and Glen Taylor will find that team. The involvement of the owners proves how serious both team are about appeasing their disgruntled superstars.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Phoenix, Atlanta, Minnesota Three-Way Close?
June 27, 2007 - 3:53 pm
Yahoo! -
Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett is close to going to the Phoenix Suns in a monumental three-way trade that would send Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire to the Atlanta Hawks , league sources said Wednesday.

Atlanta would move the Nos. 3 and 11 picks in Thursday's draft, as well as Zaza Pachulia and Anthony Johnson, to Minnesota.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has delivered a mandate to his basketball executives to get a deal done, one league executive said.

Yahoo! Sports has learned that the trade would also save the Hawks from an emerging showdown between the front office and coaching staff over whom to draft with the third pick. The front office and coaching staff had settled on Florida power forward Al Horford, but a faction of the Atlanta Spirit ownership group, with business interests in China, is pushing them to take Yi Jianlian.

The deal hinges on Atlanta general manager Billy Knight saying yes, as well as Hawks ownership, which is mired in lawsuits, being willing to increase payroll. It is believed that star Hawks guard Joe Johnson talked to his former Suns teammate on Wednesday and that the 24-year-old Stoudemire, a first-team All-NBA choice, told him that he'd welcome the trade.

Last edited:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Garnett Deal Vetoed By Hawks Owner
June 27, 2007 - 11:28 pm
ESPN.com -
The three-team blockbuster among the Timberwolves, Suns and Hawks hit what is being termed "a major roadblock" Wednesday according to sources.

The Wolves have been making multiple calls to find a third team that can facilitate a deal for Garnett.

The Wolves would receive the Hawks' numbers 3 and 11 picks in the draft as well as several cap-friendly contracts. The Hawks would receive Amare Stoudemire. The Suns would get back Kevin Garnett.

But one of the Hawks owners vetoed the deal and it now seems unlikely that a deal will be consummated by draft time.

The ongoing litigation that has engulfed Atlanta's ownership group has apparently crippled the organization's decision-making ability.

Steve Belkin won a previous lawsuit against the other Hawks owners and has the right to veto any move that puts the team over the salary cap. Several sources indicate that it was Belkin who vetoed this proposed trade.

Meanwhile, the Suns are claiming to have never had direct contact with the Hawks and say the deal never reached the stage where they were asked to give up Stoudemire.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
jobless: brevin knight, daniel ewing, james singleton

returning to the clippers: quinton ross. mike dunleavy is big on quinton ross' versatility and willingness to play D.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Carter opts out of final year of deal to test free agency

Associated Press

Updated: June 30, 2007, 12:25 PM ET

NEWARK, N.J. -- Vince Carter opted out of the final year of a contract with the New Jersey Nets that would have paid the All-Star guard $16.3 million this coming season.

Nets' President Rod Thorn said Saturday the team was informed Friday that Carter would test the free agent market, but he remained optimistic the 30-year-old swingman would return next season.

"Unless he's changed his mind, we're hoping he's back," Thorn told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "He said he wants to return and we've always said we wanted him back."

The two sides have talked about a contract for the past month, and they are close to an agreement on a four-year deal worth more than $60 million.

Any new contract could not be signed until July 11. If the two sides reach an agreement, Thorn said the team is prohibited from announcing the deal until then.

Kurt Schoeppler, Carter's agent, has not returned telephone calls left at his Cleveland office since the negotiations began. He did not return a call on Saturday.

Carter averaged team-highs of 25.2 points in the regular season and 22.3 for the postseason.

If there is a knock on Carter, who will be entering his 10th season, it's his failure to step up in the playoffs. He shot less than 40 percent from the field in the postseason and he made several big mistakes.

Carter turned the ball over in the closing seconds of Game 4 of the Eastern Conference semifinal against Cleveland with the Nets down two points and 2-1 in the series. He also was somewhat of a no-show for the deciding Game 6, scoring 11 points while having more turnovers (5) than baskets (4).

The other potential free agent the Nets would like to lock up is center Mikki Moore, who took over the starting job after Nenad Krstic was lost in December with a knee injury. Moore averaged career-bests of 9.8 points and 5.1 rebounds while leading the league in field goal percentage .609.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
piggybacking cran's story:

Bobcats waive veteran Knight after three years in Charlotte

Associated Press

Updated: June 29, 2007, 3:01 PM ET

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Charlotte Bobcats waived veteran Brevin Knight on Friday, leaving the team without a backup point guard.

Knight had a buyout clause in his contract worth $1.5 million. He was scheduled to make just over $4 million next season.

Knight was one of the Bobcats' first free-agent signings and started in the team's inaugural season in 2004-05. The Bobcats drafted Raymond Felton with the fifth pick in the 2005 draft, and he eventually replaced Knight in the starting lineup.

The 31-year-old Knight averaged 9.1 points and 6.6 assists per game last season, but was limited to 45 games. Charlotte was Knight's seventh team since being Cleveland's first round pick in 1997.

"The professionalism that he brought to this team, both on and off the court, makes this a tough decision," said Bernie Bickerstaff, Charlotte's vice president of basketball operations. "His contributions to this young franchise will continue to have an impact on our younger players as we move forward."

The move means the Bobcats will likely need to sign another point guard before next season to back up Felton, who averaged 14 points and seven assists last season.

The Bobcats acquired Jeff McInnis midway through last season, but he averaged only 4.3 points and 3.3 assists in 38 games. It's uncertain if he'll return next season.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Early word as free agency opens
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Updated: July 1, 2007

The first bits of information to dribble into Stein Line HQ, courtesy of various sources throughout the league, after the buzzer sounded at midnight Saturday on Free Agency Season:

There was some immediate evidence to suggest that Chauncey Billups re-signing in Detroit is the lock everyone says it is: Milwaukee did not rush to register interest in Billups in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The Bucks are the one team with salary-cap room (if they renounced the rights to Mo Williams and Ruben Patterson) that was thought for much of the season to have a shot at signing Billups away from the Pistons.

But the Bucks' priority -- besides convincing Chinese draftee Yi Jianlian that he's going to absolutely love Wisconsin in the winter when he finds out he can start as a rookie -- is getting Williams re-signed. Those are the two things they're working on this weekend.

The Chicago Bulls, remember, put an all-out rush on Ben Wallace when free agency commenced a year ago to lure the face (and hair) of the Pistons' franchise out of Motown. It's looking unlikely that Wallace's heir to that mantle is going to be courted with a similar fervor by any team outside of Detroit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phoenix and San Antonio are offering only the veteran minimum salary for next season to Grant Hill: $1.2 million, with nearly $450,000 of that amount paid by the league office from a fund for veterans.

Detroit, Toronto and Orlando will be offering the 35-year-old much more.

Yet one source insisted early Sunday that he's already convinced that the injury-tortured Hill, having just completed a $93 million deal with Magic, is "going to Phoenix for sure."

That would be welcome news in the desert, since the Suns are desperate for savvy veterans to improve the team's overall IQ and since Hill is the only free agent Phoenix is looking to add to its hefty payroll.

The early indications, though, suggest Hill does want to consider all his options and won't rush into a commitment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam Presti, Seattle's new general manager, could be found in Houston on Saturday night, waiting for the start of free agency and the chance to meet directly with Rashard Lewis.

A week ago, Orlando seemed to be an overwhelming favorite to land Lewis. Now? After the drafting of Kevin Durant and the trade that sent Ray Allen to Boston, there are signals that Seattle wants to keep Lewis ... although that might be a message intended to preserve maximum trade value for its rangy forward.

Says one interested suitor, clearly hoping Lewis winds up in a sign-and-trade deal instead: "Rashard wants to win now or he wants max dollars."

The Mavericks' No. 1 target in free agency? Folks in Dallas might have been expecting Mavs killer Matt Barnes, but I'm told it's actually Charlotte's Gerald Wallace. ...

Surely you haven't forgotten the drill: Teams and free agents can reach verbal agreements at any time in the next 10 days, but new contracts can't actually be signed before July 11 while the league finishes determining the salary-cap figure for next season.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Carter reportedly agrees to $61.8 million contract

ESPN.com news services

Vince Carter apparently is keeping Vinsanity in New Jersey.

The Newark Star Ledger is reporting that Carter, who opted out of the final year of his contract which called for a $16.3 million salary next season, has agreed to a four-year, $61.8 million contract with the Nets. The contract with the team holds an option for a fifth year.

The deal will not be official until July 11 when free-agent deals can be signed.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Kapono agrees to four-year, $24 million deal with Raptors

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: July 1, 2007, 4:06 PM ET

Free agent sharpshooter Jason Kapono has quickly reached an agreement Sunday to leave the Miami Heat and sign a four-year deal believed to be worth $24 million with the Toronto Raptors.a

The NBA's free agent period commenced at 12:01 Sunday morning, with free agents unable to formally sign contracts before July 11.

"Jason is excited about this opportunity and intends to sign with the Raptors when the moratorium period ends," said Kapono's agent, Bob Myers.

Kapono, a second-round draft pick of the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003, led the NBA in 3-point percentage, and posted career-highs in points (10.9) and rebounds (2.7) this season.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Door still open: C’s seem to have softened stance on Telfair
By Mark Murphy
Boston Herald Sports Reporter
Sunday, July 1, 2007 - Updated: 12:45 AM EST

Ray Allen, meet Allan Ray.
Big Baby, meet Big Al.
Sebastian Telfair, meet your second chance.
The prodigal Celtics guard, exiled in intention (if not reality) by team owner Wyc Grousbeck after Telfair was arrested on gun charges in April, has stayed out of sight.
But he’s also been busy.
Telfair recently purchased a home in Las Vegas and has been working out diligently under the direction of Joe Abunassar - a Vegas-based trainer who has become one of the most sought-after gurus on the NBA front.
But rest assured that word of Grousbeck’s most recent comments will reach Telfair before long.

Asked about Telfair’s future now that fellow point guard Delonte West has been traded to Seattle as part of the Ray Allen deal, Grousbeck appeared to leave the door open for a reconciliation Thursday night.
“Sebastian is with our team right now,” said Grousbeck. “Sebastian’s on the roster. Sebastian and I talked shortly and had a discussion. It’s a long time till November. We’ll see what happens.”
This is the same man who ordered Telfair’s nameplate removed from above his locker in the team’s Waltham practice facility last April.
Danny Ainge, who still believes Telfair has a future in the league (despite a disappointing performance last season in which he dropped from No. 1 to No. 3 in the point guard rotation), has been doing damage control ever since.
The Celtics director of basketball operations has been so diplomatic with the Telfair camp that agent Andy Miller has praised Ainge’s treatment of his client.
Nonetheless, the Celtics are still most likely to include Telfair in a sign-and-trade package this summer. His name was initially a throw-in consideration when Ainge was attempting to pry Kevin Garnett from Minnesota, and won’t be taken off the table any time soon.
But Grousbeck’s words also signaled a surprising thaw.
“I don’t know the answer to that, other than to say Sebastian is still in our plans,” said Ainge of Grousbeck’s comments. “I’m always reluctant, though, to project on players’ roles where there is still uncertainty. I wouldn’t say we’re counting on him right now.”
Ainge planned to talk to Telfair this weekend.
Though Miller didn’t know what to make of Grousbeck’s comments yesterday, he continued to sing the praises of an organization that - at least from the owner’s office - has shown Telfair a particularly rough brand of love.
“I haven’t had a conversation with Danny lately, but he’s been extremely supportive,” said Miller. “Now we’re just trying to get Sebastian ready.”
Ultimately, Telfair’s turbulent April may even pay an unexpected bonus.
“There’s a greater sense of urgency with him now,” said Miller. “And he’s working very hard at it.”
The Celtics, thanks to Ryan Gomes, know this. The forward spent roughly a month this summer training under Abunassar, and was in Telfair’s company the entire time.
“I know he’s been in Vegas for 6-8 weeks, he’s lost 8-12 pounds, his body fat is down, and he spent a lot of time working out with Ryan and some college guys getting ready for the draft like Taurean Green,” Ainge said. “He’s a much better player than we’ve seen.”

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Walton to stay with Lakers after agreeing to 6-year, $30 million deal

By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

Luke Walton reached agreement Sunday with the Los Angeles Lakers on a six-year, $30 million contract after general manager Mitch Kupchak placed a call one minute after midnight to express the team's interest in retaining its best unrestricted free agent.

"They called at the earliest possible moment, and we worked on it all day," agent Lon Babby said. "They wanted him back, and Luke wanted to be there. We wanted to make every effort to get an agreement before we went out and looked at any other teams."

Another of Babby's clients, Grant Hill, had one of his more lucrative options taken away when the Toronto Raptors decided to spend their mid-level exception on Miami Heat sharpshooter Jason Kapono.

Babby said Hill's list of possible teams now includes, in no particular order, Detroit, Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio and Orlando.

"The financial considerations are fairly low on his list of priorities. He wants the opportunity to play on a championship team, and if he has to make a financial sacrifice, he would do that," Babby said.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Eight teams reportedly interested in Bobcats free agent Wallace

Associated Press

Updated: July 1, 2007, 7:18 PM ET

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Charlotte Bobcats face heavy competition in their effort to re-sign leading scorer Gerald Wallace.

The Bobcats were one of eight teams that contacted Wallace when the NBA's free agency period began at midnight Saturday. Dallas, Orlando, Milwaukee, Detroit, Miami, Portland and Golden State all made inquiries, a person close to Wallace said Sunday.

The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the subject, said Wallace hasn't agreed to a deal with any team.

Bobcats part-owner Michael Jordan said last week that re-signing Wallace was one of the team's top offseason priorities. Bobcats vice president of basketball operations Bernie Bickerstaff did not immediately return a phone call Sunday.

Wallace averaged 18.1 points and 7.2 rebounds a game last season, when he made just over $5.5 million. He opted out of the final year of his contract, which would have paid him about $6 million, to become an unrestricted free agent. Wallace could command more than $10 million a season in a deal that could run as long as six years.

The Bobcats took on the first big contract in their three-year history last week when they acquired swingman Jason Richardson from Golden State in a draft-night trade. Richardson, who the Bobcats hope will be the go-to scorer they've been missing, is due about $51 million over the next four seasons.

The Bobcats believe a nucleus of Richardson, Wallace, power forward Emeka Okafor and point guard Raymond Felton would get them to the playoffs next season.

The Bobcats, whose $41 million payroll was well under the salary cap last season, still have the money to pay Wallace. Orlando and Milwaukee are also under the cap. Several other teams would have to do a sign-and-trade deal with Charlotte.

Wallace said near the end of last season that he wanted to re-sign with Charlotte after the Bobcats gave him a chance to play. Wallace, who left Alabama after one season, spent his first three years in the NBA at the end of Sacramento's bench.

But the Bobcats selected the 6-foot-7 slasher in the 2004 expansion draft, and he quickly blossomed.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Rollie_Fingaz said:
Walton to stay with Lakers after agreeing to 6-year, $30 million deal

i'm happy for the kid. it's a smart choice. the triangle O shields him, and allows him to look better than he really is. or rather, it allows him to perform better than he might in other Os.

plus, let's face it. the kid deserves a pay hike. working on brokebryant mountain for 3 years would test the nerves of a saint.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Clippers aim to get Francis
Sources say L.A. hopes to use part of its mid-level exception to sign the recently traded guard, who could become a free agent this week.
By Jason Reid, Times Staff Writer
July 2, 2007

Moving to bolster the team at point guard, the Clippers are pursuing three-time All-Star Steve Francis, who could become a free agent this week, league and team sources said Sunday.

The Portland Trail Blazers, who acquired the eight-year veteran Thursday, are expected to buy out the final two years and $34.25 million of Francis' contract, freeing him to agree to terms elsewhere after he clears waivers. Teams cannot sign players until July 11.

General Manager Elgin Baylor and Coach Mike Dunleavy are also interested in Jason Hart, who joined the team late last season, and Brevin Knight, but Francis is potentially the team's highest-profile option.

The Clippers hope to sign Francis, 30, for a portion of the mid-level exception, reuniting him with his longtime friend, guard Cuttino Mobley.

Francis and Mobley played together in Houston and Orlando, and Mobley's presence might give the Clippers an edge in reaching a deal, sources said.

Francis and the Clippers, however, are in a holding pattern because of NBA rules.

Until medical examinations are completed, the league won't approve the five-player trade that brought Francis and center Channing Frye to Portland and sent power forward Zach Randolph and guards Dan Dickau and Fred Jones to New York. Portland must wait for the deal to be finalized before the buyout negotiated by Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, can take effect.

Attempts to contact Fried, Baylor and Dunleavy were unsuccessful Sunday, but sources said acquiring Francis is the Clippers' top off-season priority.

Sam Cassell turns 38 in November, Shaun Livingston is recovering from a severe knee injury and Daniel Ewing's contract option was declined, so the Clippers say they need help at the point.

The Clippers drafted point guard Jared Jordan of Marist in the second round (No. 45 overall), and he's expected to compete with Guillermo Diaz, the team's second selection in last year's draft, and Will Conroy to be the third point guard on the roster.

The Clippers envision Cassell and Francis sharing duties, sources said, and Francis also could be an effective scorer off the bench at the other guard spot while Cassell runs the offense.

Francis averaged 11.3 points, 3.9 assists and 3.6 rebounds in 44 games for New York in the 2006-07 season, but has career averages of 18.4 points, 6.1 assists and 5.6 rebounds in 566 games. Three times, Francis averaged at least 21 points, 6.2 assists and 5.8 rebounds.

Acquired by the Knicks before the 2005-06 trading deadline, Francis never seemed comfortable in New York, stirring questions about whether he could still be productive. In the Knicks' final four games, Francis averaged 25 points.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
i'm not a steve francis fan, but i think if he can be had on the cheap (a la brian grant post fakers, and chris webber post 76ers), it would be a good pickup for the clippers.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Derek Fisher leaves Jazz to attend to child
Guard's daughter has rare form of cancer in one of her eyes. He is considering L.A. as a place to move but has not ruled out retiring.
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
July 3, 2007

Derek Fisher has been released from his contract with the Utah Jazz to focus on finding medical care for his infant daughter, who has a rare form of cancer in one of her eyes.

Fisher, who will be 33 next month, has considered half a dozen cities, including Los Angeles, as possible places to move. He did not rule out retiring.

He had three years and about $21 million left on his contract, but his daughter, Tatum, had been occupying most of his thoughts. She was diagnosed this year with a cancerous tumor that could spread from her left eye to her brain or the rest of her body.

"Life for me outweighs the game of basketball," Fisher said Monday in Salt Lake City.

Fisher spent eight seasons with the Lakers after being drafted in 1996. He left as a free agent in 2004 and was traded from Golden State to Utah before last season, when he averaged 10.1 points and 3.3 assists.

The Lakers are seeking a veteran ballhandling guard and could offer him up to approximately $5 million for next season, if he chooses not to retire.

"We're going to have an open mind," said Fisher's agent, Mark Bartelstein. "It's certainly something we'd look at, but I think we have to take some time to digest everything that's happened."

deputy dawg

~wait a cotton pickin' minute...
BGOL Investor
I'm gonna start rooting for the home teams now with Randy "The Freak" Moss with the Patriots and Ray "Jesus" Allen on the Celtics...
Uncle Ray's back!

rayallenjersey.jpg

spt_3_allenpic_07-03-2007_IRAV2MU.jpg

It's common knowledge that Ray Allen, the Boston Celtics' newest star, has an extensive New England background, considering he played for the University of Connecticut for three years in the 1990s.

What isn't such common knowledge is that Allen, a shooting guard with a silky-smooth shot, also played baseball as a youth, excelling to the point where "Little League parents were pushing for him to jump to the next level," according to this online biography.

Red Sox fans got a peak at that baseball talent last night, when Allen threw out the opening pitch at Fenway Park -- and took pride in surprising his catcher, Coco Crisp, with a fastball with good movement.

From the AP:

Ray Allen, acquired by the Boston Celtics from Seattle last Thursday, threw an impressive ceremonial first pitch with decent movement to CF Coco Crisp. It didn't seem to bother Crisp, who missed his fourth straight game due to a sore thumb on his catching hand.

large_rayallensox.jpg

"I think he was surprised a little bit," Allen said with a smile. "I don't know if he thought I had something on it or I turned the ball over. I played baseball."

Maybe it's me, but the way for a basketball player to endear himself to Boston sports fans probably isn't to surprise an outfielder out with injury to his catching hand with a wacky pitch.

You know what might do it, though? That same biography says Allen could "hit the ball a mile" as a Little Leaguer. Maybe it's time to give Julio Lugo another rest and see what Allen's got?

New Celtic Allen has the right moves-

** JUST LEAVE THE ORANGE NIKES IN SEATTLE!!**

378857075_8aac71981f.jpg

By Peter May, Globe Staff | July 3, 2007

If Ray Allen plays as well as he talks, the Celtics will be a very happy group next season. Right now, there's no reason to believe he won't, given his history on and off the court.

The Celtics' signature acquisition from draft night met the media yesterday and the moment should be chronicled and passed on to all who come after him. Everything he said was perfect, except for when he said he had "two perfect pairs of feet." He quickly made the correction. Just like he shoots -- stopping on a dime.

His agent asked when was the last time the Celtics had anyone quite like this. Who knows? Ricky Davis? (Actually, Raef LaFrentz is cut from the same cloth, but he's not in the same zip code as Allen.)

The Celtics can talk about Allen's scoring, and how now they feel they won't have any lulls on offense (they said the same things when they got Wally Szczerbiak, too), but from the standpoint of professionalism and mentoring, they appear to have gotten one of the best. And because he plays -- and plays well -- his is a voice that will demand to be heard and his is a path that will demand to be followed. Others on the team might have similar thoughts (like, say, Brian Scalabrine) but today's young players will follow the leader if the leader has any cachet. Allen does.

"It's invaluable," coach Doc Rivers said. "Our young guys didn't have enough to learn from in the locker room. It was Paul [Pierce] and Wally and that was about it. Ray is a consummate pro, and the things he brings to the game will resonate in our locker room. That is something I don't think the average fan gets. Players can teach other players about being a pro. Coaches can't do that. So that'll be great to have a guy like him around for that."

And there should be an eager group of guys wanting to soak in all that Allen has to offer. Think Gerald Green couldn't learn something just by watching Allen? Or Allen Ray? And do you think Pierce (who we're told loves the trade) will welcome a guy like Allen, who's a little older, a little wiser, and who also has been an multiyear All-Star to boot?

"I've been part of good teams and I've been part of bad teams," Allen said. "The question is, what lessons are we learning as we go along? I tell the young kids, you have eight or nine months of the year to play basketball and the rest of the year you can relax. So, you've got to be ready. It doesn't last forever."

He said when he was with the Bucks, he had to learn to step back and allow Sam Cassell to be Sam Cassell, Glenn Robinson to be Glenn Robinson, and Tim Thomas to be Tim Thomas (come to think of it, that was a pretty darn good team). The same holds true here. When Pierce gets on one of his rolls, Allen said he's going to enjoy it just like everyone else.

"You have to ride that, let it go," he said. "You allow him to be who he is, and it allows me to be who I am."

He is coming off a career-best 26.4 points per game season, one that was cut short by surgery to remove bone spurs from his ankles. He missed 27 games and the Sonics finished with the fifth-worst record in the league. He had a career-best 54 points in an overtime victory over the Utah Jazz last Jan. 12.

Right now, he's recovering from April ankle surgery and is taking it slow. He was late for yesterday's news conference because of his physical, and one could almost imagine the doctors holding up the X-ray of Allen's ankle and looking quizzically, like they did at the famous X-ray of LaFrentz's knee ("Where did that come from?").

But Allen says he's fine, which should augur well for him as he begins his 13th NBA season. He's at or near the top of everyone's list for best shooting touch. He's a dead-eye from the free-throw line, and while he enjoys the reputation of being one of the best 3-point shooters in the league, he actually finished 95th in 3-point accuracy, behind several Celtics, including the guy he replaced, Szczerbiak. He turns 32 later this month.

"I don't look at this game in regards to my age," he said. "A lot of the important stuff you do comes off the court. I take care of my body. I put good things into it.

"Eighty-two games is a lot of games. I tell the younger kids that one thing that shouldn't change over the course of a season is you. You always try to get to bed at a reasonable hour. You always try to eat the right food. Just getting them to understand that is half the battle."

Rivers quickly interjected: "The whole battle."

Allen, incidentally, came very close to beginning his NBA career with the Celtics. Boston had the No. 6 pick in the 1996 draft and Allen went fifth to Minnesota (which promptly traded him to Milwaukee for Stephon Marbury). Larry Bird, then a consultant for the Celtics, was a big Allen guy and was hoping he'd fall. Instead, the team got Antoine Walker.

Allen said he became a Celtics fan in college at UConn. He said he's elated to be back on the East Coast so his friends and family won't get insomnia watching him play. In short, he's a guy who wants to be here. More important, he also may be a guy who is needed here if the Celtics are going to make any kind of noise in 2007-08.

Last edited:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
do people REALLY think the worstern conference is in the seat of power because it drafted 2 rookies?

:lol:

that's not to say that if rashard lewis goes to the magic, that they will be a better team. rashard lewis UNDERwhelms me. a prep player who can shoot FTs, with better FG% (from both inside and behind the arc) than the MUCH OVER-rated tobe, but still manages to unimpress.

unfortunately for the magic, they still haven't solved their problems at PG, and does this mean that they intend to start the FREAK SHOW starting lineup of:

tony battie
dwight howard
rashard lewis
hedo turkoglu
???

Top free agent Lewis to leave Sonics for Magic

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The NBA's most sought-after free agent is going to the Magic Kingdom.

Lewis

After being treated to an aggressive 24-hour courtship, Rashard Lewis told the Orlando Magic on Monday that he plans to leave the Seattle SuperSonics to sign a max contract with Orlando on July 11, NBA front-office sources said.

That's the first day free agents are allowed to officially sign new contracts. Free Agency Season in the NBA began Sunday at 12:01 a.m. and Lewis was in Central Florida by that afternoon to take in Orlando's persuasive recruiting pitch, including lobbying from franchise big man Dwight Howard.

The agreement between Lewis and the Magic was confirmed Tuesday by Tony Dutt, Lewis' agent. "That he's going to Orlando doesn't change the fact that he had good years in Seattle," Dutt said.

The exact value of a max contract won't be known until the league announces the salary-cap figure in effect next season on July 11, but it's believed to be between $75 million and $85 million over five seasons.

The price for Lewis' services could grow, though. Unless a sign-and-trade arrangement can be worked out with Lewis' old team or unless it can otherwise shed a contract or two to create more salary-cap space in the next week, Orlando will have to renounce the rights to restricted free agent Darko Milicic to create the cap room to fund such a lucrative deal, instantly making Milicic an unrestricted free agent.

And that might only heap more pressure to live up to this contract on Lewis, who is poised to become a very high-priced sidekick to Howard.

The 6-foot-10 forward -- having spent all nine of his NBA seasons in Seattle after famously slipping to the Sonics in the 1998 draft as the No. 32 overall pick -- is a proven scorer who averaged a career-high 22.4 points last season. Yet Orlando is bound to be questioned for committing so much financially to a player known only for his scoring.

Overlooking last month's aborted hiring of Billy Donovan as their new coach, it's the biggest free-agent splash from the Magic since the summer of 2000, when Orlando signed both Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady to matching $93 million contracts.

Only the Sonics had the right to sign Lewis to a six-year deal and pay him more than he'll get from the Magic, but the 27-year-old apparently was eager to team with Howard and move out of the Western Conference.

When the Sonics traded Ray Allen to Boston on draft night, after selecting new face of the franchise Kevin Durant at No. 2 overall, Allen told the Tacoma News Tribune: "Now that I'm no longer there, I'm not even sure Rashard is going to want to come back. He wants to win and you almost think they are starting to rebuild with all these young players. I'm not sure Rashard is going to want to be a big brother to all these young guys."

Said Howard, speaking to Orlando reporters on Tuesday: "Having a guy like Rashard around would help my game out tremendously. The more shooters that we can bring in here, the better. Rashard is a shooter and a scorer, and that would help our team so much. We have some young guys on this team who can play, and hopefully we can add somebody like Rashard."

Florida Today reported in Tuesday's editions that Howard -- as expected even before Orlando secured Lewis' commitment or hired Stan Van Gundy to replace deposed coach Brian Hill -- still plans to sign a five-year extension with the Magic this summer.

"I definitely want to do the maximum of five years," Howard told the paper. "There's a great opportunity there for me, and I want to take it."

Milicic, meanwhile, figures to have no shortage of free-agent opportunities if he is indeed released onto the open market, despite a fourth straight season marked by concerns about the 7-footer's intensity. The former No. 2 overall pick in the 2003 draft by Detroit averaged just 8.0 points and 5.5 rebounds for the Magic in his first full season of regular playing time, but the 22-year-old did raise his game in the playoffs by averaging 12.3 points on 58.8 percent shooting in Orlando's four-game elimination by the Pistons in the first round.

Last edited:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Pistons re-sign Billups in 5-year, $60 million deal

Posted: Tuesday Jul 3, 2007 5:29 PM

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -Chauncey Billups and the Detroit Pistons agreed on a five-year, $60 million contract Tuesday, a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press.

The person, who requested anonymity because of league rules preventing contract announcements before July 11, said the final season is a team option.

Billups had become an unrestricted free agent last month after opting out of the last year of a six-year contract.

Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president of basketball operations, said shortly after the team was eliminated from the conference finals by the Cleveland Cavaliers that his top priority was re-signing Billups.

The 6-foot-3, 202-pound All-Star said he would prefer to stay with Detroit and expected to be back if the team could match any other team's best offer.

....................EDIT.......................

Agent denies Billups agrees to five-year, $60M deal with Pistons

ESPN.com news services

"This is a vicious rumor," Andy Miller, Billups' agent, told The Detroit Free Press. "It's entirely untrue. We have not reached an agreement. I don't know what stage we're at. We're having ongoing discussions, and I don't believe that we're on the verge of signing an agreement anytime today by any stretch of the imagination."

The Associated Press and some Detroit-area media outlets had reported that Billups and the Pistons had agreed to a five-year contract.

Billups had become an unrestricted free agent last month after opting out of the last year of a six-year contract.

Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president of basketball operations, said shortly after the team was eliminated from the conference finals by the Cleveland Cavaliers that his top priority was re-signing Billups.

The 6-foot-3, 202-pound All-Star said he would prefer to stay with Detroit and expected to be back if the team could match any other team's best offer.

Billups, 30, who played with the Celtics, Denver, Orlando and Minnesota in his first four seasons, was selected the NBA Finals MVP in 2004 when Detroit won the championship. He was an All-Star in each of the next two seasons.

He averaged 17 points and 7.2 assists in 70 games last season and 14.5 points and 5.3 assists over his nine-year career. But Billups struggled in the playoffs each of the past two seasons, and averaged 15.3 points, 3.5 assists and 3.8 turnovers in the Eastern finals against the Cavs.

Last edited:

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
cranrab said:
do people REALLY think the worstern conference is in the seat of power because it drafted 2 rookies?

that's not to say that if rashard lewis goes to the magic, that they will be a better team. rashard lewis UNDERwhelms me. a prep player who can shoot FTs, with better FG% (from both inside and behind the arc) than the MUCH OVER-rated tobe, but still manages to unimpress.

It's a lateral move, and a move for the future. In the end, Portland and Seattle should consider it a successful season if they can get to the playoffs.

From what I've seen, the teams in the West that are strong have stayed strong. The ones that fell off are continuing to do so. The team that probably took a step backwards is Golden State. If the Clippers pull of the Francis deal, I think it is a step forward for them.

When it's all said and done, the road to the title still goes through San Antonio.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
ARTEST-ING THE MARKET

ISIAH CONSIDERS TRADING FOR RON
By MARC BERMAN
<B>KINGS' RANSOM:</B> With the Kings making Ron Artest available, the Knicks have to consider the value of trading David Lee for the troubled forward, who was coached by Isiah Thomas while with the Pacers
July 4, 2007 -- Rashard Lewis is off the table, Ron Artest is on the block, and Isiah Thomas must decide if it's worth trading David Lee to the Kings to put his former Indiana star on the Knicks.

With Lewis agreeing in principle to sign with the under-the-salary-cap Magic, Thomas can concentrate his sights and trade assets on a run at Artest, who played three seasons for Thomas in Indiana but now is being shopped in Sacramento.

Thomas, who negotiated with Lewis' agent July 1, also has spoken to the Kings about Artest.

Lewis' signing in Orlando is a double blow to the Knicks, who could be fighting it out with the Magic for a final playoff seed. Orlando made the playoffs last season, in the eighth slot.

When Artest was peddled by Indiana 18 months ago, the Knicks had tepid interest. Thomas had a brief conversation with Pacers president Donnie Walsh and told him he wasn't willing to give up any of his young players. The conversation ended there.

Times have changed. The Knicks are in a different place following the Zach Randolph trade. The organization believes it is not that far away from competing for the conference title in the awful East and is willing to part with a young player or two. They now boast as much talent as any Knicks team since the 1998-99 version that went to the NBA Finals.

The Knicks always could wait on Artest, 27, until next summer, when he may opt out of his contract for 2008-09. Artest is on record saying in his final days in Indiana he didn't care where he was traded, he'd still opt out in 2008 to sign with the Knicks. Thomas is comfortable with his roster, but said Monday, "I don't consider this a finished product by any stretch.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Bulls Still Eyeing Gasol
July 4, 2007 - 8:26 am
Daily Herald -
Could Bulls forward Andres Nocioni be on his way to Memphis in a trade for Pau Gasol?

A league source suggested any talks between the Bulls and Grizzlies are in the preliminary stages. But Memphis general manager Chris Wallace flew to Argentina in recent days to meet with Nocioni, sources confirmed.

One theory is the Bulls would be willing to send Nocioni, first-round draft pick Joakim Noah, backup point guard Chris Duhon and filler to the Grizzlies in exchange for the 7-foot Gasol, who averaged 20.8 points and 9.8 rebounds last season. :yes:

Nocioni is a restricted free agent, which means the Bulls can match any offer the third-year forward receives. Bulls general manager John Paxson stated emphatically Monday that he’ll match any offer sheet for Nocioni.

But it’s possible Paxson’s message was another way of saying any team that wants Nocioni will have to negotiate a trade. The Bulls have great appreciation for Nocioni’s talent and toughness, but his role on the team seems to be limited to either playing power forward at 6-feet-7 or backing up small forward Luol Deng.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
In search of backcourt veteran, Lakers consider Fisher

Associated Press

Updated: July 3, 2007, 8:11 PM ET

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- The Lakers have a new young point guard and might be interested in bringing back one of their old point guards to give the rookie some guidance.

The Lakers took Georgia Tech's Javaris Crittenton with the 19th overall pick in the NBA draft last week -- the second straight year they've gone for a point guard in the first round. But they're in search of a veteran at that position, and Derek Fisher, who won three championships with the Lakers, is a possibility.

"We're looking around. Free agency is one way to address it. A trade is another way," general manager Mitch Kupchak said Tuesday after Crittenton was introduced at a news conference at Lakers headquarters.

The Utah Jazz agreed to release Fisher from his contract Monday so he can concentrate on finding the best care for his 11-month-old daughter, who has cancer in her left eye.

"Yesterday is a new development that will be addressed as well," Kupchak said. "We don't know what Derek's intentions are. I really have not sat down and addressed the Lakers' needs in regard to Derek. Our prayers and best wishes are with Derek and his family."

Fisher said he wants to live in one of the six or seven cities being considered for Tatum's care. He didn't rule out playing for another NBA team, but emphasized that his daughter's health is his No. 1 priority.

Fisher played his first eight NBA seasons with the Lakers before signing as a free agent with Golden State after the 2003-04 season. The Warriors later traded him to Utah.

Both Fisher and Kobe Bryant began their careers in 1996, and they were close during their eight years as teammates.

Crittenton, a 6-foot-5, 198-pounder who turns 20 on New Year's Eve, averaged 14.4 points, 3.7 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 2.0 steals in his one season at Georgia Tech.

"That one year I spent at Georgia Tech made me a better player, a better person," he said. "I'm confident. I feel like I have a lot to learn. This is a great organization to help me become a better player."

"You think of all the great players who have played for this organization -- from Magic [Johnson] to Kobe. I hope to play with Kobe. I hope whatever they need to keep him happens. I feel like I can get him the ball."

Bryant has expressed a desire to be traded, but the Lakers don't appear interested in granting his wish.

The Lakers signed Crittenton after the news conference, and he'll play with their Summer League team this month in Las Vegas. According the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, Crittenton's deal is guaranteed for two years, with team options for the third and fourth seasons. He will earn $1.071 million as a rookie and $1.151 million in his second year.

Crittenton spoke briefly with Lakers coach Phil Jackson before meeting with the media.

"He's a legend. He coached Michael Jordan. He's coaching Kobe right now," Crittenton said.

When told Jackson was known to be tough on rookies, Crittenton replied: "That's fine with me. He's only going to make me a better player."

Crittenton was accompanied by his mother, Sonya Dixon, and 8-year-old sister, Shaniya Lee.

"I'm very excited," Ms. Dixon said. "I've never been to Los Angeles. I love Kobe, I love Phil Jackson. I think he's going to do well here.

"This is a perfect place for my son. He's a good kid. He's very competitive. Once he sets his mind to what he wants, he usually gets there."

Crittenton's mother said she planned to move to Los Angeles for at least a year "and get him adjusted."

Asked what advice his mother has given him, Crittenton replied: "Just to work hard, do all the things I've done to get me here, not be distracted by women, bright lights."